General Discussion Race Reports! » Instant Classic Trail Race Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Instant Classic Trail Race Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chesterfield, Virginia
United States
Instant Classic Trail Race
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 38m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6, leisurely made myself fried eggs and toast, went potty. Then I realized that I had switched my intended arrival time with my leaving time. It was 6:30 and I should be leaving then, but I wasn't dressed yet! Hurriedly got dressed, kissed hubby goodbye and took off. 45 min in the car, no problems.
Event warmup:

Got to the park with 15 min to spare. Jogged down the parking lot and hill to packet pick up. I then had about 5 min. The port-o-potty lines were long, so I decided not to go. I should have, though, they started about 10 min late.
Run
  • 3h 38m 11s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 15m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Well. I have only done 2 long runs in prep for this race. And then I pulled a quad a few weeks back, so my training has been, uh, minimal. Low expectations. I like the woods. It's just a long workout in the woods. Plan was to not get injured and have fun and forget the clock.

Started out easy, uphill on pavement. Stopped at a port-o-potty since I hadn't made it before the start. quickly switched to single track that was challenging. Then some boardwalk, then more single track. I stepped on a rock that was just the right height to make my ankle smart. I ran it off OK. First aid station. Marathoners started passing us slow halfers. Way too many of them were talking about Boston. One guy was wearing sandals and bragging about running nearly barefoot in the snow, through puddles, whatever. There was a switchback or two. Around mile 4.5, I was thinking about how to avoid these rocks I kept stepping on, and my toe caught a root and I fell. Caught myself with my hands. Had to dig a rock out of my flesh later. That was at a point where no one was there to see it. Then we were on fire roads a lot after that, which were easier on the body. My conclusions about trail running: dirt and fine gravel are nice; pine needles are divine!, and medium-sized gravel is the pits to run on. I felt OK, mostly ran til miles 8, 9. Then at mile 10 I decided it was time to walk. I was running slowly enough, and my feet hurt a lot, so that the gravel really bothered them. So after mile 10 I did a lot of walking, but still jogged when there were pine needles. Then at the last aid station, I grabbed water and mnm's and took off. But then I saw a sign for 6 miles. I got confused. Did I turn the wrong way? I had followed the way the marathoners had gone. I went back to the aid station and asked. I did go the wrong way! It was a 4-way intersection with runners going every which way. The volunteers didn't realize I went the wrong way. So I added 10 min and at least 1/2 a mile to my race. Boo. But I only had about a mile to go. The last mile was tricky single track again. The first two marathoners passed me. There were hills and a stream crossing. Then I was all alone again. For one dark moment, I though I'd gotten lost again and I wasn't going to make it back. I was SO DONE. Then I saw the marathon 26 mile sign and I jogged it into the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Train!
Not take a wrong turn!

Maybe not do a half mary. I have never had a good one. (Though I did mostly enjoy this one. I just hurt. a lot. all over.)
Post race
Warm down:

Got a hamburger and powerade. Sat on the ground.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training, pulled muscle, falling!, going the wrong way.

Last updated: 2014-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
03:38:11 | 13.7 miles | 15m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
12:51; 13:26; 12:58; 13:11; 16:07; 14:47; 15:20; 15:34; 15:16; 16:10; 19:04; 19:44; my extra 10:20; 22:00; 1:18
Course: Trail run, several loops. Aid stations every ~2.5 miles. Fire roads, single track, hilly, 2 stream crossings.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-03-15 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: Instant Classic Trail Race Half Marathon

2014-03-17 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4965744

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Instant Classic Trail Race Half Marathon
Nice job! I love the course, but the single track is a challenge.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Instant Classic Trail Race Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Instant Classic Trail Race

Started by enders_shadow
Views: 1029 Posts: 8

2013-03-18 7:17 AM tnickerson

Xterra Marathon of Trail races Trail Run

Started by lonoscurse
Views: 1060 Posts: 1

2011-10-10 2:09 PM lonoscurse

Wild Cherry Loop Trail Race - Half Marathon

Started by twinklebug
Views: 969 Posts: 1

2010-09-14 10:32 AM twinklebug

Southern Indiana Classic Marathon and Half Marathon

Started by jeffw85
Views: 1459 Posts: 3

2010-04-13 8:33 AM BigDH

Deep Hollow Half Marathon Trail Race

Started by ragingferret
Views: 1019 Posts: 3

2007-11-17 12:01 AM ragingferret
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.