General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit in the Pool. Dork Factor? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-16 6:02 AM

Subject: Wetsuit in the Pool. Dork Factor?
Possible tri at the end of April south of here.
BUT here is full of ice until then.

Haven't worn my new wetsuit yet.
How much of a dork will I look like in the pool trying it out?

2014-03-16 6:47 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Subject: RE: Wetsuit in the Pool. Dork Factor?
Fairly high dork factor - but more importantly, chlorine is damaging to wetsuits. Would advise against it if possible.
2014-03-16 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Three phase of life:

1: you care what people think of you
2: you don't care what people think of you
3: you finally figure out that people DON'T think about you.

The heater was broke in my local pool and my wetsuit felt good. With temps back closer to 80, It might be too hot to wear. Be careful and don't overheat.

2014-03-16 6:51 AM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, I think you knew the answer to the dork factor before you posted this.  But we all run around in spandex, so…  welcome to the nuthouse.

While I agree with the chlorine not being great for the suit, were it me and the first time I'd wear it were a race?  I'd take a dip in the pool and swim with it first - if for nothing more than peace of mind.  Not regularly, but in this specific case, I would.

Just be sure to rinse the daylights out of the thing after the pool (and before you then go and pee in it before the race).

Matt

2014-03-16 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4965926

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
My gym has a outside salt pool. I do it all the time. I dont care what people think. Hell I dont know them. Im there for me
2014-03-16 8:00 AM
in reply to: ranman69

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Who cares? Better to get comfortable in it and loosen it up a bit (they're tightest when they're new or haven't been worn for a long time) than panic on race day because you feel like you're strangling! But as others have said, really rinse off the chlorinated water. I actually have a "pool wetsuit". It's a sleeveless shorty designed to be used in both OWS and pools and I wear it if the water and/or air is cold (in Oregon). I've even worn it to masters practice. Yes, the "fish" like to accuse me of being another triathlete who can't swim without a wetsuit. But it's not true (I'm usually at the front of my AG on local tri swims, and in the top several women out of the water, wetsuit or not), so who cares? I cramp less and my form holds together longer when I'm not shivering, so workouts go a lot better!

As for dork factor, this is not a sport for those who care about that. Ever seen an aero helmet?

2014-03-16 8:11 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
wash your wetsuit in the shower after using.

Hell there are diving students and instructor in full gear in the pool.

Who Cares!!
2014-03-16 9:15 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Better to wear it the first time in a pool and look like a dork than wear it the first time in a race. Just rinse real well after.
2014-03-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Originally posted by pvfd304

Three phase of life:

The heater was broke in my local pool and my wetsuit felt good. With temps back closer to 80, It might be too hot to wear. Be careful and don't overheat.

agree with this guy
2014-03-16 10:40 AM
in reply to: katan2212

User image

What is a dork anyway? Someone doing something they enjoy for their own reasons but looks different than others not doing the same thing for different reasons. It's not like you are riding your bike on NASCAR track during a NASCAR race.
2014-03-16 11:26 AM

No dork factor at all

Make sure you have a friend take pictures of you in the pool with your wetsuit on. So we can see your form

2014-03-16 11:58 AM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by pvfd304 Three phase of life: 1: you care what people think of you 2: you don't care what people think of you 3: you finally figure out that people DON'T think about you. The heater was broke in my local pool and my wetsuit felt good. With temps back closer to 80, It might be too hot to wear. Be careful and don't overheat.

Agree - there was a guy who came to the Y swimming in his wetsuit several times last spring. I thought he must be getting ready for a triathlon and moved on.

2014-03-16 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I did it once at a gym pool to get used to the wetsuit for the first time.  I guess I didn't really care what other people thought.  I wanted to see what it was like putting it on, getting it off, and swimming in it for a bit.  Wearing a wetsuit in a heated pool isn't something that I'd want to do again.

2014-03-16 1:25 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I've done it......but just once
2014-03-16 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

When I was training for my first Ironman I did the full 2.4 mile swim in a heated pool wearing my wetsuit. That's about 84.5 laps (25 yard pool) so I went 85 laps hah!  Yes it was hot, I got out and poured cold water down the front a couple times. 

My swim confidence was fairly low at the time, so doing that swim was a big confidence builder. I'm glad I did it.

2014-03-16 9:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I swam in the pool with my wetsuit on last year because I couldn't get to a lake. I asked some random lady to zip it up for me in the locker room. After the swim I couldn't reach the cord to unzip it because of the way the lady had looped it. So, I went to some random older gentleman in the hot tub and asked him to unzip me. Look on his face was priceless!

Edited by fortissimo 2014-03-16 9:36 PM

2014-03-17 7:26 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by ranman69

My gym has a outside salt pool. I do it all the time. I dont care what people think. Hell I dont know them. Im there for me

FYI
Salt pools use a electro chemical reaction to break down the salt into sodium and CHLORINE. The chlorine standard to keep the pool clean is still the same. The salinity of the water feels better then the hard water of a standard chlorine pool, however the chlorine content is no different.
Effects of chlorine on your wetsuit is a salt water pool vs a chlorine pool will be the same, so you may want to limit the use of it in the pool.
2014-03-17 7:35 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Well, I think you knew the answer to the dork factor before you posted this.  But we all run around in spandex, so…  welcome to the nuthouse.

While I agree with the chlorine not being great for the suit, were it me and the first time I'd wear it were a race?  I'd take a dip in the pool and swim with it first - if for nothing more than peace of mind.  Not regularly, but in this specific case, I would.

Just be sure to rinse the daylights out of the thing after the pool (and before you then go and pee in it before the race).

Matt

I agree with this ^^^^^^^.  I did the same thing several years ago when I got a new suit in February and wanted to try it out in the water just to make sure it fit well.  I tried going to the pool during a Sunday afternoon when it's usually very quiet in order to minimize being seen and feeling more like a dork.  Ironically, it was the busiest Sunday afternoon I ever experienced and at least a half dozen people asked me what I was doing and all the others just kind of starred at me like I was wearing some type of rubber fetish gear.  There is no doubt I felt like a dork, but I got my mission accomplished.

As others have said, just make sure to rinse it real good afterward.  Oh, and no need to swim a 3500 yard workout in the suit.  I think I only did a couple hundred just to minimize the chlorine exposure.

2014-03-17 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

It's either wear it at the gym pool or do what I did and head out to a local lake. Water temps were 45 degrees Fahrenheit. People driving past probably thought “that guy’s crazy” but it was all about race prep. I’m glad I didn’t wait for race day.

2014-03-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
never wait for race day with a new wetsuit.

You will not look silly, and anyone who thinks your weird just has no clue.

If the OW temp is too cold, and being in the Northeast it is common for that before the first tri's, i always do a shake down swim in wettie in the pool.

Rinse well, maybe even use a soft cleaner or wetsuit specific soap after you do it. It will help your suit last longer.

Look at it this way, would you rather have a constriction issue or panic issue ina pool where you can stand and get your bearings and head straight, or in front of 1-500 people swimming around you in the open water??

Zero dork factor and sometimes a necessity.

Best of luck
2014-03-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: Rudedog55

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
100% dork factor.

100% recommend that you do it.

Bonus points for getting out of the pool and showering in it (you need to clean it anyway)

I wore mine a month or so ago. Otherwise I will get absolutely NO time in one before my race. It definitely was a good reminder of how different I have to approach my kick come race day.

2014-03-17 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Dork Factor?  Cmon.  It's not like you:

• Wear spandex shorts all the time.... ermmm wait a minute.
  • Obsess about how much protein you are consuming in each meal.... ermmmm wait a minute.
  • Really need to "get the latest Giro helmet to improve your areodynamics".....   ermmmm wait a minute
  • Accept that peeing on your bike is a culterally accepted norm..... ermmm wait a minute
  • Constantly talk about the sport of triathlon to people who would rather watch repeat episodes of Full House then listen to one more minute... ermmm
  • Drive your spouse so crazy with your type A personality that if "I mention that I NEED to get a workout in today" one more time I better start looking for a new place to live.......  ermmm......

Sorry, I all of a sudden hijacked this thread to discuss the last conversation with my wife. 

We are all dorks.  It's just if you care what the water walkers at your pool have to say about you.  I, for one, don't give a flying fook what they say.

Swim in your wetsuit in the pool a couple of times but clean it off good and absolutely never admit it to the manufacturer if there is an issue.

2014-03-17 12:57 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I personally don't care what people think! I would wear mine in pools that were just too darn cold for me to swim in. One season the heater broke a couple of times at the gym pool. I would pull out my wetsuit and get to it, while everyone else trying to swim was freezing! 

2014-03-17 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I have worn mine as a 'trial' at a pool where many other triathletes swim/train and seen others do the same. Yes chlorine is bad, but a short swim followed by hose rinse won't hurt it. Put it this way, you'd rather be a dork at the pool than be in trouble in an ill fitting suit in a race.
2014-03-17 3:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by pvfd304

Three phase of life:

God I love this. I'm stealing it for my Facebook update.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit in the Pool. Dork Factor? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Open water w/ wetsuit vs pool w/o wetsuit pace

Started by weiky
Views: 1787 Posts: 5

2013-08-05 11:40 AM guitarfrk75

Wetsuit OWS time v. No Wetsuit pool time

Started by Hoosierman
Views: 1427 Posts: 11

2011-12-15 6:40 AM hanzchloe

Geek Factor vs. Aero Factor

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1422 Posts: 14

2010-08-24 1:25 PM wbayek

Pool Dork Alert Pages: 1 2 3

Started by randomescape
Views: 4907 Posts: 54

2008-02-11 10:55 PM badnews

wetsuits in the pool?

Started by chris hughes
Views: 817 Posts: 6

2006-05-18 8:35 AM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.