General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Weather (water rant) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-17 11:03 AM

User image

Subject: Stupid Weather (water rant)

Yea yea, I'm in the south, it's not that bad compared to Chicago/Detroit/East Coast.  Whatever.

My first race of the season is March 30.  Current water temp in the marina where the swim takes place is in the low 50's.  And we are forecast to have one or two days that barely break 70 over the next 2 weeks.

I hope it pours down raining that day so I can justifiably bail on the race.  The idea of jumping in mid-50 degree water with absolutely zero warm up time isn't appealing to me.

Did I mention there's nowhere at the race site to get in the water pre-race and acclimate to it?  And that it's a dock-dive start?

Last year this race was at the end of May and was too warm for a wetsuit.  This year could be feasibly below 60 degrees.

2014-03-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Stupid Weather (water rant)

Umm.  This sounds like a great race.  If I were to dive off the dock right now I would either face plant on the ice or suffer from hypo in a matter of 10 minutes.

50s?  c'mon man.  How bad can that be with a full wetsuit?

2014-03-17 1:15 PM

User image

Dump water inside of your wetsuit before you start the race.  The shock comes from cold water entering your suit and then being warmed up by your body temp.  If you already have water in the suit and it's had a chance to get to your temp when the race starts and you hit the water only your face/feet should feel much of any shock.  You can even bring warm water in a thermos

Unless you are man ing up and going with no wetsuit?  Then your on your own!

2014-03-17 1:27 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Umm.  This sounds like a great race.  If I were to dive off the dock right now I would either face plant on the ice or suffer from hypo in a matter of 10 minutes.

No idea.  Never been in it. 

In talking to other friends more experienced in this sport than I am, the sentiments are generally the same.  Keep in mind we simply don't 'do' winter down here very well.  An ice storm that would barely register in Chicago shut us down for 3 days.

2014-03-17 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by RussTKD

No idea.  Never been in it. 

In talking to other friends more experienced in this sport than I am, the sentiments are generally the same.  Keep in mind we simply don't 'do' winter down here very well.  An ice storm that would barely register in Chicago shut us down for 3 days.

This made me laugh.  I have a brother that lives in Dallas and my nieces have been complaining about the severe cold.  I think it got down to the 40s. 

In other news.....  I like the idea of trying to get some water in the wetsuit before the race.  That could help out. 

2014-03-17 2:17 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Honest question: why not just bail on the race now? Sounds like you have a pretty negative attitude already. 

2014-03-17 2:22 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Honest question: why not just bail on the race now? Sounds like you have a pretty negative attitude already. 

Because my run is about as good as it's gonna ever be and I can go 22 and change on the 5K, and my bike has improved steadily since riding 2-3 times a week and I've been doing somewhere between 2500 and 4500 yards a week in the pool for about the past month.

This is the first of 3 spring races I'm registered for and is by far the least important to me.  I'm just annoyed they moved it up two months as a "warm up" for IM NOLA and we're still getting 45 degree mornings.  March in south Louisiana isn't supposed to be this cold.  Mardi Gras day (3/4) didn't get above 38 degrees.

I'm over it.

2014-03-17 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
My first race is suppose to be may 18 ish ..
The water should be low to mid 50 by then..

It's 31 outside right now.. It's been freezing for 5 months..
2014-03-17 2:58 PM

User image

I forgot......

In addition to pouring water into your wetsuit before the race make sure you have to pee when the swim starts.

The water in your wetsuit will be warm when you start swimming but the pee will turn your wetsuit into a nice warm bath!

2014-03-17 2:58 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Originally posted by louamerica My first race is suppose to be may 18 ish .. The water should be low to mid 50 by then.. It's 31 outside right now.. It's been freezing for 5 months..

I've got an e-friend that lives in upstate NY.  He said it was 12 degrees this morning.  Twelve.

2014-03-17 3:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

This is a challenging situation for other people to give input on because people from the North can't relate. That water temp is swimmable for many of us....BUT we can't run comfortably in 80 degree weather, either...so it is hard to give TOO much insight.

We know how our body responds in that temp, but we don't know how your body will respond in that temp. I would consider doing a test to see how your body will suit.

-Fill Bathtub up
-Drop water temperature to 52 degrees with ice.
-Put on wetsuit
-Sit in it for the amount of time that your swim will take.
-Determine if you should continue with the race or not.

It is very easy for people to say what others should be able to do but ultimately, you carry the responsibility and liability of that decision on race day. It is much better for you to experiment for yourself than to take somebody's word for it.

All of that being said, it looks like you are looking for a way out. Here's the deal. You are a grown man. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. You can make the smartest decision for yourself.

Edited by lifejustice 2014-03-17 3:25 PM

2014-03-17 3:41 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

This made me laugh.  I have a brother that lives in Dallas and my nieces have been complaining about the severe cold.  I think it got down to the 40s. 

In other news.....  I like the idea of trying to get some water in the wetsuit before the race.  That could help out. 

I've read that a couple other places.  It's probably what I'm gonna try.

2014-03-17 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
11 degrees here in Maine this morning.

While the roads are relatively clear for now, the winter has taken its toll on them. Frost heaves coupled with the monstrous potholes make riding outside virtually impossible until April - Mayish when they can begin to repave them. Ocean temps do not reach 60s until mid summer. There is still awesome spring skiing.
2014-03-17 4:42 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I wouldn't jump into a 50 degree lake and I'm from Minnesota. We all have our limits.

I would also bet your bike will suffer due to numbness, you may be shaking or overly tense at least.  Your fingers will be numb at the least.     Run might be okay, but it will be hard to get warmed up.

I'd skip it and find another race.

2014-03-18 9:33 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Miami
I can relate to you. I am from Miami and I did a HIM in Key West, FL on 1/26 where the water temp was on the low 60s (the week before the race we got a cold front).

I wasn't very sure about what to do on race day, since I don't have winter/cold gear. There were people swimming without wetsuits (few of them were pulled out with hypothermia), but most people wore a wetsuit (including me) and the water felt fine. A little cold for my liking, but not as bad as I though. The bike was good and I PR on the run.

Try to stay warm before the race and definitively wear a full wetsuit. You will be ok.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Weather (water rant) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

stupid, stupid question: what is HTFU?

Started by AUradar
Views: 3600 Posts: 23

2021-04-29 11:03 AM bertbxi8

Stupid stupid stupid

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 1194 Posts: 16

2007-02-10 1:27 PM betsy

Stupid people can ruin your whole day <rant>

Started by ertman
Views: 1276 Posts: 17

2006-05-25 10:05 PM PintoRacer

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!!!

Started by millarg
Views: 1231 Posts: 20

2006-04-15 12:49 AM yojimbo

Stupid Stupid Stupid Pages: 1 2

Started by jkbostic
Views: 2940 Posts: 39

2005-02-28 8:43 PM lynda
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.

date : December 12, 2004
author : CLLinIA
What you can do to clean up your local swimming hole and keep it clean!