United States
Tri-Family Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 8s
Overall Rank = 23/85
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

The location of the race was at Bartlett Lake. It was an hour and forty five minute drive with the last 45 minutes through beautiful desert landscapes. I had never been up that way so was looking forward to the experience. The transition area was not very busy when I arrived. I was able to pick up a spot at the end of the rack. I brought the road instead of the triathlon bike. I figured that with the hill climbing it would be much more comfortable on the road bike. Having set up my transition area I was ready to find the bathroom and get my body marked up with my race number.
Swim
  • 31m 9s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was a standing water start with a 500 meter buoy layout. The olympic distance triathletes were required to make three loops.

The race included a sprint and would be followed by olympic distance swimmers. The race organizers highly recommended wetsuits as the lake temperature was a chilly 60 degrees. Everyone waded into the water around 7:45 and the sprint distance participants started at 7:50. Three minutes later I was swimming with my fellow olympic distance racers. It was cold! My hands and face were freezing but they were second in my mind as I was pushing through the group of people trying to get through a fairly narrow set of buoys that would start the race. Due to the course length it was fairly chaotic through the entire swim.

I kept the pace easy and finished in about 30 minutes. The beach was rocky so I had laid out my sandals at the start/finish. I slipped these on and jogged the quarter mile to the transition with the timing mat mid way in between.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Time was built into the bike. Uneventful. I slipped on my socks, shoes, helmet, and bib belt and almost hopped on my bike. Not sure what I was thinking as there is no riding in the transition area.
Bike
  • 1h 39m 24s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 14.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was an out and back that was to be repeated twice.

I knew that there would be a lot of climbing and I definitely wasn't disappointed. The ascent started immediately out of transition. There were times when I was struggling to push nine miles per hour but I still managed to pass about 40 people over the course.

I was pleased that nobody was able to pass me on the climbs but there were two brave souls that passed me on the downhills. I have to admit that I was a bit timid on the descent due to wind and higher speeds than I was accustomed to. At one point I hit 40 miles per hour and a strong gust pushed me around the road. After that I tapped the breaks and kept my speeds in the 30mph range.

My nutrition went well as I had brought two bottles of Mike's Mix sport drink and a packet of Clif shot bloks for the ride. I finished a bottle and a serving of shot bloks during each climb and focused on staying alive for the descent.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Another uneventful transition. Slipped off the bike shoes, slipped on the running shoes and tossed on the beanie I like to wear when running. Grabbed another shot bloks and headed out.
Run
  • 50m 35s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was a single out and back with a water station at miles 1.2, 3.1, and 5.

The run followed the bike course for the first half mile. The climbing was steep during that time but increased again when we separated from the bike course.

I was feeling pretty good and started feeling really good around mile two. Over the course of the run I was able to pass another six or seven people. While tough, I enjoyed the course. It was nice knowing that I could push myself on the uphill and could recover a bit on the down.

Near the end I still had plenty of energy and I picked up the pace for the last descent. I passed another runner and finished strong.
Post race
Event comments:

This was a well organized event with plenty of volunteers. I'd participated in one other race by the organizers, Tri Family Racing, and they do a good job. I look forward to doing this one again next year and moving up in the ranks.

More details and other race reports at http://tritoachieve.blogspot.com/2014/03/race-report-3162014-bartle...

Last updated: 2014-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:09 | 1500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/85
Performance:
Suit: Full
Course: 500 meter loop x 3
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:39:24 | 24.8 miles | 14.97 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:35 | 06.2 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-03-18 10:56 AM

User image

New user

Chandler
Subject: Bartlett Lake Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bartlett Lake Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bartlett Lake Olympic Triathlon

Started by pisoot
Views: 1246 Posts: 1

2010-03-21 5:27 PM pisoot

Started by Hicksy
Views: 1155 Posts: 1

2009-04-07 12:20 PM Hicksy

Started by moto_mort
Views: 2577 Posts: 10

2009-03-25 10:44 AM moto_mort

Started by Fitzy
Views: 1769 Posts: 10

2009-03-29 5:01 AM BigDH

Started by Slidell4life
Views: 2863 Posts: 16

2009-03-30 7:19 AM aquagirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.