Track Shack
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 17s
Overall Rank = 561/2817
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 12/131
Pre-race routine:

Walked Gunnar then waited for Janice to get to the house.
Event warmup:

We ended up getting to the site a little later then we planned, so it was hard to find a place to park. So, the warm up was walking from the parking lot to the race site. Bonus for this little walk was we passed the farmer's market and were able to duck inside one of its buildings and use real bathrooms!

Once at the site, we watched the 2 mile race start and the first bunch of finishers come in before making the 3 minute walk to the 10k start.
Run
  • 52m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I need adult supervision. On Tuesday, I did a little speed work - the first time in a very long time, and the rest of the week my almost healed, but still having some issues hamstring let me know that it perhaps wasn't as happy with me as it could be. So, i decided that I would not race this run, but rather just use it as a training run. During the week people asked me if I had a time goal for the race and I said "no, I am not racing it". The morning of the race I told people the same thing. A minute before the gun sounded I told someone I was not racing. Then the gun went off and people started passing me and I picked up my pace.

When I saw the first mile was about 8:30 I told myself that i was going too fast for not racing and to slow down. The second mile was faster. Then I saw someone I run with up ahead and decided to catch up to her and run her pace. I caught her, but after some conversation I moved ahead. What was I doing?? I fell right into my race practice of picking someone out and trying to catch them for the remainder of the race. All the while I told myself , "self, stop it; slow down, remember your hamstring". I did not listen.
I am an idiot, but not a complete idiot; because while I raced, I did not RACE. So, I have a small modicum of self control :)
What would you do differently?:

Um, listen to myself about pace.
Post race
Warm down:

I had about 25 minutes to kill before Janice would be finishing, so I walked around the finish area and picked up my commemorative wine glass, a hand towel, a banana and a nice big cup of Fat Tire beer :)

Event comments:

Track Shack puts on a great race and this course takes you through a fantastic neighborhood. I am really familiar with the course b/c it is part of what we run almost every Saturday, but it was still a fun race. Too bad there are so many bricks - I hate bricks!

Last updated: 2014-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:17 | 06.21 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/131
Overall: 0/2817
Performance:
Course: A run through the Winter Park neighborhood, which means turns and bricks and million dollar houses.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-03-18 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: ZKS winter park road race

2014-03-18 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4967347

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: ZKS winter park road race

How does the hammy feel today? If it's yelling at you then you will know better next time. If it's not yelling at you then I guess you didn't push it too hard.

Congrats on the time! Hopefully it wasn't at the expense of injury! And yay beer!

2014-03-18 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I hope your hammy is not complaining too much. It looks like you had a great time at a great venue!

2014-03-19 4:19 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Gee whiz, I would love my "not racing" pace to be so fast--heck my racie pace isn't even that good Hope your hamstring forgives you soon!
2014-03-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Commemorative wine glass, win!  Fun race with friends, win! FAT TIRE, WIN!!!  Jealous - they don't allow Fat Tire to be imported to PA which really sucks.  If I want some I have to go to the surrounding states to purchase some.  Anyway, congrats on a good race and having a teeny bit of self control, hopefully your hammy isn't too upset with you.

Edited by melbo55 2014-03-19 8:27 AM
2014-03-19 11:54 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Defining a purpose and then executing is key. So, nice job working TOWARDS that  

I hope the hammy is ok

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ZKS winter park road race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Zimmerman Kiser Sutcliffe Winter Park Road Race

Started by amd723
Views: 1683 Posts: 12

2013-03-28 2:09 PM jmkizer

Zimmerman Kiser Sutcliffe Winter Park Road Race 10k & 2 Mile presented by Florida Hospital

Started by Luvhairz
Views: 1116 Posts: 1

2010-05-10 12:14 PM Luvhairz

Winter Park Mt. Bike Race Series #5

Started by regimom
Views: 1007 Posts: 11

2007-08-11 8:12 PM snikpos

CNLBank Winter Park Road Race James C Barnett Memo

Started by annabananamc
Views: 1395 Posts: 1

2006-03-25 5:11 PM annabananamc

Winter Winds Road Races 2 & 4 mile race

Started by apenton
Views: 1162 Posts: 1

2005-02-13 9:16 PM apenton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : February 13, 2007
author : trixie
Can't run outside in the snow? Think again. I flew up the first hill with surprising ease and power. The Yaktrax gripped into the ice like racing spikes on a rubber track. Sweeeeet.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!