of 5

2014-03-20 11:23 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Best recent purchases < $10
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I could really use the pineapple gadget. But never seen one in Vietnam. I pay extra to get mine pre-butchered from the fruit shop.

I have always paid for the pre-cored pineapple too, until now.

I clicked on the link and it took me to an Amazon retailer that charged me $4.74, total, to ship a stainless steel pineapple corer to my house. It went out last night.

I am giddy with excitement. Less than $5. They can't be making money off of that.

2014-03-20 1:28 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Dolcezza Ok, I bought a pineapple corer/slicer gadget for 10 dollars at the grocery store..... totally LIFE CHANGING if you like pineapple. Seriously!

We have one of those too.  Best invention ever.  ok, maybe not but it's up there.  :)

I showed this to my husband and he said it looks like it wastes a lot of pineapple.  What say you, owners of incredible gadget?

2014-03-20 1:30 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by morey000

Drop Bags.  Saw people selling drop bags for ultras for $20.  

got these off Amazon for $1.50  (bought 5 of them)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009I44F7I/ref=twister_B009XD25UI

there are also ones without the outside mesh for $0.99

Have you tried running with these?  I am considering starting a run commute, and my regular backpack is too big/heavy/cumbersome. 

I would probably just be carrying a swim suit, goggles, cap, towel, shorts and a t-shirt--so maybe 3-4lbs, but kinda bulky ones.

2014-03-20 2:49 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro

Originally posted by switch

Have you tried running with these?  I am considering starting a run commute, and my regular backpack is too big/heavy/cumbersome. 

I would probably just be carrying a swim suit, goggles, cap, towel, shorts and a t-shirt--so maybe 3-4lbs, but kinda bulky ones.

I'd guess 'no'.  They are just string bags.  Certainly strong/rugged enough, but it wouldn't be very comfortable nor have sufficient support for running.  Maybe pick up a camelback and take the water bladder out?  

2014-03-20 2:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I bought one of the pineapple gadgets when I got home from Cuba. I was craving pineapple and they had the gadget right next to the pineapple. It works great. I would say that it wastes not more pineapple than when I try to cut it myself. Actually less. Also, I started making pina coladas in the pineapple shell. That's something else I picked up in Cuba. So waste = 0.

Edited by jeng 2014-03-20 2:50 PM
2014-03-20 2:58 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'd guess 'no'.  They are just string bags.  Certainly strong/rugged enough, but it wouldn't be very comfortable nor have sufficient support for running.  Maybe pick up a camelback and take the water bladder out?  

That's a great idea!  I think I may even have an old Camelback.  Thank you :)

2014-03-20 3:01 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jeng

I bought one of the pineapple gadgets when I got home from Cuba. I was craving pineapple and they had the gadget right next to the pineapple. It works great. I would say that it wastes not more pineapple than when I try to cut it myself. Actually less. Also, I started making pina coladas in the pineapple shell. That's something else I picked up in Cuba. So waste = 0.

Nice!  I am all for a rum beverage in that sized vessel :)

How did you like Cuba?  Would you recommend it?  I've heard mixed reviews.

2014-03-20 3:34 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Dolcezza Ok, I bought a pineapple corer/slicer gadget for 10 dollars at the grocery store..... totally LIFE CHANGING if you like pineapple. Seriously!

We have one of those too.  Best invention ever.  ok, maybe not but it's up there.  

I showed this to my husband and he said it looks like it wastes a lot of pineapple.  What say you, owners of incredible gadget?

It's pretty rad. Mine was free. Well, actually we had a couple beers after a pineapple themed race and someone commandeered it and it ended up at my house.

Anyway, It's great not only for the coring/slicing attributes but also the ability to turn your pineapple skin (would you call it skin?) into a beverage vessel. 

2014-03-20 3:34 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Great minds!

2014-03-20 3:37 PM

User image

Seattle

As for my best recent < $10 purchase:

2014-03-20 4:09 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Baby. Honey. Darlin.

See rule #1 and try again.

(Seriously. I have high, high hopes for you on this thread.)

2014-03-20 5:11 PM

User image

Seattle

Baby. Honey. Darlin.

See rule #1 and try again.

(Seriously. I have high, high hopes for you on this thread.)

Son of a! Well we were talking about pineapples and I forgot

2014-03-20 5:19 PM

User image

Seattle

Alright, alright I have one. I just purchased my SO a "burner phone" for our joint birthday. It is a flip phone.

We are going to release the number to the phone and that will be the only way to contact us on the day of the party. Also, we won't have any contacts in the phone so everything is pretty anonymous so people can send whatever they see fit, knowing that we are going to pull the battery and break the phone just like the movies at the end of the night

I hope I followed the rules this time, but I must confess, I rarely follow directions.

2014-03-20 5:31 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Alright, alright I have one. I just purchased my SO a "burner phone" for our joint birthday. It is a flip phone.

We are going to release the number to the phone and that will be the only way to contact us on the day of the party. Also, we won't have any contacts in the phone so everything is pretty anonymous so people can send whatever they see fit, knowing that we are going to pull the battery and break the phone just like the movies at the end of the night :)

I hope I followed the rules this time, but I must confess, I rarely follow directions.

Did y'all know our sweet Salty is turning 30? Party of the year, that one.

This may, in fact, be the thread winner :)

2014-03-20 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We are going to release the number to the phone and that will be the only way to contact us on the day of the party. Also, we won't have any contacts in the phone so everything is pretty anonymous so people can send whatever they see fit, knowing that we are going to pull the battery and break the phone just like the movies at the end of the night

This may, in fact, be the thread winner

It is a dang good thing that the phone dies at the end of the night. Although, there is the very real chance that you may not be fully functional at the end of the night and the phone may live on. Either way, I'm hoping it turns out like SXSW, because I am still reading that.

And I can't come up with a feckin' $10 purchase at all. Sad, I tell you.

2014-03-20 6:43 PM

User image

Seattle

This may, in fact, be the thread winner

Ahem, and someone else has a birthday shortly after that! THE BIG 40!! Maybe someone else needs a burner phone! 

2014-03-20 6:48 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

We are going to release the number to the phone and that will be the only way to contact us on the day of the party. Also, we won't have any contacts in the phone so everything is pretty anonymous so people can send whatever they see fit, knowing that we are going to pull the battery and break the phone just like the movies at the end of the night :)

This may, in fact, be the thread winner :)

Ahem, and someone else has a birthday shortly after that! THE BIG 40!! Maybe someone else needs a burner phone! 

Me sitting around in my PJs, drinkin beer, and chillin with my family--awesome for me, extraordinarily boring for anyone else.

I'm celebrating this birthday vicariously--don't let me down youngun ;)

2014-03-20 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I sometimes "run errands" with a pack--wouldn't recommend anything with string straps unless your stuff is extremely light, and even then, the strings can chafe if they're on bare skin, and the bag bounces. A Camelback bag without the bladder will work, or if you don't mind spending a little more, you can get a very light daypack designed for trail running or "flashpacking" that has both waist and chest straps to really minimize bouncing. Vaude (I currently have their Rock Ultralight 25) and GoLite make some nice ones that would work to hold clothes, etc. for a run commute. But out of the $10 range--more like $30-$40 on sale.
2014-03-20 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Hot Runner I sometimes "run errands" with a pack--wouldn't recommend anything with string straps unless your stuff is extremely light, and even then, the strings can chafe if they're on bare skin, and the bag bounces. A Camelback bag without the bladder will work, or if you don't mind spending a little more, you can get a very light daypack designed for trail running or "flashpacking" that has both waist and chest straps to really minimize bouncing. Vaude (I currently have their Rock Ultralight 25) and GoLite make some nice ones that would work to hold clothes, etc. for a run commute. But out of the $10 range--more like $30-$40 on sale.

Thanks HR.  I think my excitement to do the commute as a run will largely depend on how well the transporting the gear part works  I'll try the Camelback, but if it doesn't work I'll probably go with one of your suggestions.

What would you say is the upper carrying weight limit, comfort-while-running-wise, on the pack you have?

2014-03-21 4:38 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmmm....I think it would depend on what kind of run it was (hard to do speedwork with a big pack), and what the weight consisted of. Also maybe what you are used to. I carry 1.5 liters of water in a waist pack on almost all my long runs (90 minutes and up) so that alone is more than 3 pounds. Too heavy a pack will screw up your biomechanics but something 5 pounds or less shouldn't be that big a deal--most women fluctuate that much anyway during a month! A soft load (like clothes) with maybe a few lumpier things (deoderant, shampoo?) wrapped in the clothes is easier to carry than books, for example.

That being said, I think on one occasion I've put in an hour run with a full change of clothes, small towel, a few toiletries, a money pouch, map, and my I-pad. (Running while on vacation--the park I was running in was far from my hotel but close to where I wanted to shop, and a place to change was available there.) I wouldn't want to do a tempo run with all that, but don't recall any problems. The Ultralight has two water bottle holders--great for walking/hiking, but if you use them while running, esp. on trails, they sometimes fall out. Might be safer to put water inside the pack. I think it's also set up to allow you to insert a camelback-type hydration bladder and pull the tube outside-- will check when I get home.
2014-03-21 8:32 AM

User image

Pro

Not super recent, but I was in Kohls and there was a brand new 4-bottle Fuel Belt in the pile of discount items for $6.00. I already have a fuel belt, but how could I not buy it?

2014-03-21 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hmmm....I think it would depend on what kind of run it was (hard to do speedwork with a big pack), and what the weight consisted of. Also maybe what you are used to. I carry 1.5 liters of water in a waist pack on almost all my long runs (90 minutes and up) so that alone is more than 3 pounds. Too heavy a pack will screw up your biomechanics but something 5 pounds or less shouldn't be that big a deal--most women fluctuate that much anyway during a month! A soft load (like clothes) with maybe a few lumpier things (deoderant, shampoo?) wrapped in the clothes is easier to carry than books, for example. That being said, I think on one occasion I've put in an hour run with a full change of clothes, small towel, a few toiletries, a money pouch, map, and my I-pad. (Running while on vacation--the park I was running in was far from my hotel but close to where I wanted to shop, and a place to change was available there.) I wouldn't want to do a tempo run with all that, but don't recall any problems. The Ultralight has two water bottle holders--great for walking/hiking, but if you use them while running, esp. on trails, they sometimes fall out. Might be safer to put water inside the pack. I think it's also set up to allow you to insert a camelback-type hydration bladder and pull the tube outside-- will check when I get home.

All of these runs would be EZ, and I have a locker at work, so I don't need to carry toiletries.  Getting excited to try.  Thanks for the input :)

2014-03-21 8:54 AM

User image

Seattle
Elesa, I run commute 4 x a week, 6 miles one way. My pack weighs between 4-10 lbs. feel free to message me with any logistical questions.
2014-03-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx

Good find Morey!!!

Race Directors should consider this for packet pick up!!!

Edited by strykergt 2014-03-21 4:05 PM
2014-03-21 4:28 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro

Originally posted by strykergt

Good find Morey!!! Race Directors should consider this for packet pick up!!!

The good news is that they come in a variety of colors. But if everyone had the same kinda' bag it would get confusing.  So, I get yellow, since I found them first.  ya'll can choose your own color... as long as it's not the yellow ones, or I'll be wearing your socks and eating your cliff bars.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Best recent purchases < $10 Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Awesome recent purchases Pages: 1 2 3

Started by powerman
Views: 3758 Posts: 54

2013-05-26 4:19 PM lkct01234

Best place online to purchase business cards?

Started by KSH
Views: 1918 Posts: 19

2013-01-05 8:16 PM DanielG

Recent Gun Purchases Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 9225 Posts: 85

2012-12-27 4:28 PM ejshowers

National Debt to Cross $10 Trillion Very Soon

Started by ScottoNM
Views: 1048 Posts: 14

2008-10-01 5:59 PM ScottoNM

How to turn $10 into $1MM...cool story

Started by LHablas
Views: 514 Posts: 2

2007-05-19 9:31 AM briderdt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.