General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim goggles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-18 4:40 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: swim goggles
Just curious about how goggles should fit. Now that getting into some long continuous swims, by the time I'm finished my head hurts a little and I will have the circles around my eyes for a few hours. I have been using Aquasphere kayennes for about 2 years now. Doesn't bother me for short periods of time. Any recommendations on other types that are comfortable?

2014-03-18 4:58 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Austin
Subject: RE: swim goggles

I hear ya, as my swims have gotten longer my goggle eyes stay pressed in my head longer.

I was thinking of switching from racing style goggles to something with more outer seal.

Next time I am at the swim shop I was going to pick up some NEST PRO goggles from tyr. they seem like the next upgrade for my swim.

2014-03-18 5:48 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Goggles are a very personal preference so it's hard to make recommendations.  That said, if your head hurts then it sounds like you've got the strap too tight!  If your goggles fit your face properly then there is no need for the strap to be tight, just a tiny bit of tension to keep it in place is all that is required.

2014-03-18 6:34 PM

If you can't find one that fits get the Swedish goggle since they end up being a custom fit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_goggles
2014-03-18 7:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Arend is correct, goggles are a very personal choice. I have maybe 10 pair of goggles, some fit better than others. Not the most expensive game of trial and error you can play.

Edited by Oysterboy 2014-03-18 7:11 PM
2014-03-18 8:27 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Go to a store. Try on pairs of googles by putting them to your eyes without the strap and pressing lightly. If you feel the suction and they stay attached for a couple of seconds, they're probably a good fit.

2014-03-18 8:44 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Definitely a personal thing. I like my Aquasphere Kayennes because they keep a good fit yet are fairly loose so no marks on the face afterwards. I actually like them because they fog up less than others I've tried. I'll be trying some blueseventy goggles (not sure which model) soon because I was a caption contest they had on their FB page
2014-03-19 7:43 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Swimmers use Swedes.

At $3.00 a pair its the cheapest triathlon gear you will ever buy.
2014-03-19 8:03 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by mike761

Swimmers use Swedes.

At $3.00 a pair its the cheapest triathlon gear you will ever buy.

I oftne find very high quality in my local Winners (sorry for the plug, not an employee). Expensive brands heavily reduced. This helps with the trial and error nature of finding a good pair.
2014-03-19 9:09 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

New user
Key West
Can't really help, don't like them, and never wear them. I had the same issues as you do, plus the fog and leaking (little head, long nose) and tried several different kind of goggles. Anyway, figured out I didn't really need them, so stopped trying. Happy to have one less thing to hassle with in a TRI.
2014-03-19 9:52 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

I use Speedo Hydrospex Classic. Retail $15, $10 from swimoutlet. They have fixed nose bridge, no leaks from day 1, and no fog. They may not be the raciest, but they sure are reliable for about 6-7 months (I get two pair a year).

2014-03-19 10:10 AM

User image

I love the Aquasphere Kaiman's. It is a very personal choice but I find that the Aquasphere goggles are the softest and most durable of the bunch (although I haven't tried any of the Tyr goggles).
2014-03-19 10:15 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by axteraa
Goggles are a very personal preference so it's hard to make recommendations.  That said, if your head hurts then it sounds like you've got the strap too tight!  If your goggles fit your face properly then there is no need for the strap to be tight, just a tiny bit of tension to keep it in place is all that is required.
^^^
2014-03-19 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4967509

User image

Try loosening the strap a notch or two in each side
2014-03-19 10:15 PM

User image

Denton, TX
Originally posted by topolina

Can't really help, don't like them, and never wear them. I had the same issues as you do, plus the fog and leaking (little head, long nose) and tried several different kind of goggles. Anyway, figured out I didn't really need them, so stopped trying. Happy to have one less thing to hassle with in a TRI.

Hold on. You don't wear goggles? Am I the only one that caught this? Salt water also? Eyes closed or open? Not sure I am buying this- is this is a test to see if we are reading?
2014-03-20 6:03 AM
in reply to: Todd13

New user
Key West
Originally posted by Todd13

Hold on. You don't wear goggles? Am I the only one that caught this? Salt water also? Eyes closed or open? Not sure I am buying this- is this is a test to see if we are reading?

No, not a test, and you can buy it or not, but I haven't worn goggles at all (training or racing) (fresh water or salt water, live and race in the Keys) for the 4 years I have been back into triathlons. I don't open my eyes under the water, and don't really need to, but of course do open them when I need to sight or look around above the water. For whatever reason, my eyes are just not bothered by not wearing goggles.

2014-03-20 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by topolinaCan't really help, don't like them, and never wear them. I had the same issues as you do, plus the fog and leaking (little head, long nose) and tried several different kind of goggles. Anyway, figured out I didn't really need them, so stopped trying. Happy to have one less thing to hassle with in a TRI.
No, not a test, and you can buy it or not, but I haven't worn goggles at all (training or racing) (fresh water or salt water, live and race in the Keys) for the 4 years I have been back into triathlons. I don't open my eyes under the water, and don't really need to, but of course do open them when I need to sight or look around above the water. For whatever reason, my eyes are just not bothered by not wearing goggles.
So awesome! I would love to be able to do this.
2014-03-20 11:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by topolinaCan't really help, don't like them, and never wear them. I had the same issues as you do, plus the fog and leaking (little head, long nose) and tried several different kind of goggles. Anyway, figured out I didn't really need them, so stopped trying. Happy to have one less thing to hassle with in a TRI.

Me too, I mean, when I'm doing OWS in the crappy Illinois lakes around here you cant see anything anyway. I wear contacts, though, so one mistake or splash could mean blinded for the rest of the swim (I have a spare set of contacts in transition)

ETA: I use TYRs version of the swedish goggles as well as those Nest Pros above. I love them both, but do most of my training in the Swedish goggles.

Edited by Danno77 2014-03-20 11:46 AM
2014-03-20 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
TYR Special Ops 2.0 have been a good fit for me. Soft gaskets around eyes. good lenses.
2014-03-20 11:57 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I could get away with it in a lake swim and probably a shorter ocean swim (IM distance would probably be too much, maybe HIM) as well but no way in a pool.

2014-03-20 4:36 PM
in reply to: axteraa

New user
Key West
Originally posted by axteraa

I could get away with it in a lake swim and probably a shorter ocean swim (IM distance would probably be too much, maybe HIM) as well but no way in a pool.

I train in a pool most of the time and do ocean based tri's. HIM is my longest tri, but the distance doesn't seem to make any difference. I do put drops in my eyes when I get back from the pool though. I am not an eye doctor, so can't say whether what I do is healthy for my eyes, but they seem fine.

2014-03-20 4:46 PM

I'll add a +1 for Swedish goggles with no gasket. 

They're cheap enough that I think it's definitely worth a try if you have any issues with your current goggles. Without the gasket, the seal is much better (unless you have a face that doesn't work with them, but most folks do get a good fit), and while there is a bit more pressure around the eyes, it's not bad at all. The custom sizing also helps with getting the exact fit for you.  

I wore gasket goggles for years, and I always get slow leaks after a few months of swimming with them in pools. Nothing major, but annoying enough to interrupt workouts. It's much less so with Swedes.

2014-03-25 7:58 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Denton, TX
Ok, I believe you, I believe you - no goggles. I grew up in Pensacola and there is no way I could go without goggles in the Gulf of Mexico. You got my support buddy - I know my eyes are just too sensitive (I could blame it on age I guess).

2014-03-25 8:54 PM
in reply to: Todd13

I swim with the Kayennes and don't feel the need to wear them that tight until they start wearing down after a few months. They don't last long in the pool. Once they start leaking and I start wearing them tighter, I order a new pair when it starts to feel uncomfortable.
2014-03-26 9:23 AM

User image

Pro

A good test to see if your goggles fit your face properly:

Stick them over your eyes, apply some pressure so they suction to your face. They should stay in place, no strap, while you move your head around (out of water).

If they pass this test, then it's just a matter of tightening the strap. You don't need it TOO tight. 

You'll probably have goggle marks (just like you might have indents from the grippers on your cycling shorts), but you shouldn't have a headache.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim goggles Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swim goggles & swim caps

Started by globetruck
Views: 2306 Posts: 10

2010-04-16 9:52 PM SDCali

Elliptical and Swim Goggle Questions

Started by tinysgirl
Views: 2510 Posts: 16

2007-02-27 8:51 PM the bear

Swim goggles and bags under the eyes

Started by StandsWithFist
Views: 736 Posts: 3

2006-07-14 11:39 AM StandsWithFist

Swimming Goggles Causing Bags Under the Eyes

Started by VikingMom
Views: 2713 Posts: 9

2006-01-07 1:52 PM courtney_leone

FOGGY swim goggles

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 1130 Posts: 6

2005-12-13 4:04 PM CLLinIA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 7
After three triathlon seasons, I finally decided that I wanted to actually see well during the swim portion. My vision is not so great. I had to find better goggles.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
comments : 0
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!

date : October 31, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Getting fall discounts on triathlon equipment is more difficult than finding the Great Pumpkin, right? Well, I’m here to say it isn’t so. Deals for triathletes are plentiful - you just have to look.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.