General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Clubs and AED's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-18 8:23 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Tri Clubs and AED's
Our triathlon club is considering purchasing an AED to have for our club workouts. This is a considerable expense so we are having ongoing discussion. Is this something that other clubs have, or are we alone with this idea?

2014-03-18 8:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Tri Clubs and AED's

I don't know about what tri clubs do......but I work in an environment where we have AED's everywhere.  In the jail, in the building, in our cars.  The idea is that you HAVE to have it really/pretty close for it to be any good to you. 

What are your thoughts for having it in a tri-club situation?  Have it ready for a group swim?  Have someone carry it for a group bike?  Have someone with it in a vehicle for a bike or run?

Yeah, they are expensive.....but it's a waste if it's "back at the tent".

You'd be better served to pay for everyone to get CPR certified.  I've saved people with CPR and have heard firsthand stories of other saves......and I've failed at it and been around plenty of other failures.  If I were king EVERYBODY would be CPR certified.  It's not as good as an AED but you always have it with you.

The thing about equipment is that it is useless unless you can have it accessible.  I don't think that's easy in a tri-club setting.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-18 8:32 PM
2014-03-18 8:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I think it's great that your club in thinking along those lines. I agree with LB, get as many as you can CPR certified.
2014-03-18 9:38 PM
in reply to: kimball-sand

Spring/Woodlands Area
What Left Brain said. It would be ideal to have one at OWS, pool workouts, track sessions, etc. Basically any time you'll be in one place. CPR may be the best case in other situations combined with cell phones and knowledge of your location and how to give directions.

CPR with a hands on component is preferred.

And if you go the AED route, remember many require yearly battery and pad replacement. May also want to get a set of small pads if you have small people or children.

It's great that you all are thinking about it. ACSM has guidelines for safety equipment that are pretty explicit in the resource manual for exercise testing and prescription. NSCA should as well in the cscs book.
2014-03-19 5:33 AM
in reply to: #4967579

User image

Elite
I agree with the above that it is important for everyone to be CPR certified but though people have been saved with CPR alone, statistically having a AED handy has a significantly higher save rate than CPR.alone.....so in my opinion if your group is ok with spending the money which probably would.not.be too bad with a big group go get it , but be sure it is with you.
2014-03-19 12:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Our club does a lot of group workouts: OW swims, bricks, runs, etc.,  In those situations an AED might come in handy in a medical crisis, but as LB alluded to, you would need to work out the logistics of who would be responsible hauling it along.  Not an impossible task, it would just take some organizaiton and buy-in from the members.  You might need to ask some folks to forego the workout and act as SAG volunteers for the event.

We also have a lot of folks who do solo workouts and an AED sitting in the club president's garage probably isn't of much use to them.

From the standpoint of cost and practicality, I guess I'd come down on the side of getting more folks certifiied in CPR and encouraging everyone to carry a cell phone.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-03-19 12:37 PM

2014-03-20 6:48 PM

User image

New user

Thank you to all for your input. much appreciated.
2014-03-21 6:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

I think it's a great idea.  Eventually here they are going to just keep getting smaller and even more economical.  Just think 10-15 years ago it was a pipe dream to think of having one outside an emergency room.  LB is right though and everyone should know CPR.  Thinking about getting mine re-certified.  I just lost a very dear cousin last Saturday to a massive heart attack.(only 55)  They had a AED on hand and got his heart back going but lost him again on the ride to the hospital...Still can't believe it.

2014-03-21 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

It is a noble idea, but will be a nightmare to administer.

Who will keep it when it isn't in use?
Who will keep track of it?
What will you do if you have one group running and one group riding?
Who will train everyone on using it?

You may consider leasing one rather than buying it if you can get acceptable answers to the questions posed above. 

2014-03-21 10:03 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by kimball-sand

Our triathlon club is considering purchasing an AED to have for our club workouts. This is a considerable expense so we are having ongoing discussion. Is this something that other clubs have, or are we alone with this idea?

I Agree with all of the above to be BLS Certified. But also in choosing the school please dont! dont! dont! go to online class.I strongly suggest make sure its a classroom setting. You Cannot do compressions or mouth to mouth on an online screen. Since you guys are already spending money on AED for a little more $$$ please an Ambu-bag and maybe look at craigslist or if someone can donate a portable Oxygen tank. Anybody can be the patient it can be athlete club member or the member's family or if you guys are supporting in a race it could be a any bystander.

Goodluck to you.

Carlo C.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Clubs and AED's Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To club or not to club............

Started by purestone
Views: 877 Posts: 6

2012-07-26 4:12 PM purestone

Tri Club or no Tri Club

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 1740 Posts: 14

2008-06-02 12:09 PM devalyn

Join the 700 Mile club or Ultimate 822.7 Mile club 2007 Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by amiine
Views: 6359 Posts: 112

2007-04-12 1:13 PM brieper

Tri club or not to tri club? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rencor
Views: 2504 Posts: 39

2007-01-05 9:10 AM us50090

Anyone belong to any Tri Clubs?

Started by dhyte
Views: 1065 Posts: 8

2004-01-15 11:58 AM tozamile
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2012
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
A panel of four triathlon coaches answers questions from the beginner to the Iron distance triathlete.

date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner
date : August 14, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about the importance of triathlon clubs for your training.

date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.