General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Training (or lack thereof) on Shift Work Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-18 9:22 PM

User image

Subject: Swim Training (or lack thereof) on Shift Work
Hello all, I am new to this forum stuff and this is my first post ever but I thought I would start here to try and find some much needed answers regarding training!

I am a shift worker who works two weeks out of every month at a remote camp which has a full gym and a track but lacks a pool. I was just wondering if anyone has ideas of how I can maximize my swim training during the two weeks that I am out of camp? I was also wondering about dry land exercises for swimming that I can do when I am away as to not lose the gains that I make when I am not at camp.

I should mention that the race I am training for is an Xterra "olympic" distance (1500m swim) and that I have good technique but lack endurance. I have all of the free time in the world when I am not working for the two weeks so am capable of packing a lot in to a short time training wise.

Thanks in advance for the help

Cheers!

2014-03-19 7:47 AM
in reply to: BushQuickie

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Swim Training (or lack thereof) on Shift Work
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know how to maximize your training in the two weeks you can swim. I am not enough of a fish to help you out there. Maybe someone else can chime in. With my minimal knowledge, I would be swimming every day, sometimes twice a day since you say you have the time. At my skill level, even a few days away from the pool really hurts my swim progress.

For your time away from the pool, I would consider reading Sheila Taormina's book, "Swim Speed Secrets." She apparently does a lot of work with elastic bands as dry land exercises and really believes that it makes/made her a better swimmer. These would be easy to take with you to your 'away' location and set up in the gym. This would at least keep your swimming muscles engaged and possibly work on endurance away from the pool. She even uses them a bit for technique (if I remember correctly).
2014-03-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by wannabefaster Welcome to the forum. I don't know how to maximize your training in the two weeks you can swim. I am not enough of a fish to help you out there. Maybe someone else can chime in. With my minimal knowledge, I would be swimming every day, sometimes twice a day since you say you have the time. At my skill level, even a few days away from the pool really hurts my swim progress. For your time away from the pool, I would consider reading Sheila Taormina's book, "Swim Speed Secrets." She apparently does a lot of work with elastic bands as dry land exercises and really believes that it makes/made her a better swimmer. These would be easy to take with you to your 'away' location and set up in the gym. This would at least keep your swimming muscles engaged and possibly work on endurance away from the pool. She even uses them a bit for technique (if I remember correctly).

+1 to everything here.  Exactly.

2014-03-19 3:02 PM
in reply to: switch

SE Texas
Yea what everyone else said. I have a yoga band my daughter quit using and I use it quite a bit. I open up 2 cabinet doors and run it around the cabinet and lean over and strectch out til u have the band straight and then just pull like you are swimming. It helps to get your breathing right because youare bent over looking at the floor and you just turn your head to catch a breath. There are all sorts of bands out there. Got ours at Wally World for about $10.

If you want you can use cables in the gym to do some strength training and doing pull exercises. (lats, rows and cross cables) Just use your imagination. Another thing I homemade is a medicine ball. I finished off a gallon of milk and filled it with water (about 8lbs.) and use it to do ab crossovers(make sure it has a screw on lid, trust me on this). Do plenty off core workouts because that is the main group that will help your swim.

Hope this helps
2014-03-19 3:32 PM

Originally posted by BushQuickie

I should mention that the race I am training for is an Xterra "olympic" distance (1500m swim) and that I have good technique but lack endurance.

What do you mean that you lack endurance? Your heart starts racing and you get out of breath? That can probably be corrected with better pacing and swim techniques. If it is muscle and tendon soreness you could probably do some dry land exercises.
2014-03-21 9:19 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Hi Jason, thank-you for your reply and the advice! I will definitely check into the book you suggested.

2014-03-21 9:24 AM
in reply to: roydsull

User image

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely be investing in some bands to use when I do not have pool access. As for the "medicine ball", what an excellent and innovative idea, thanks for sharing
2014-03-21 9:28 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

I suppose I could have said I lack a good pacing technique. I used to race short distances in my youth (mainly 400m IMs) so I always swim at one pace and that is fast. After about 500m I lose steam and have to rest. I would eventually like to be able to swim a 1500m with relative ease but I find that once I get back in the pool after 2 weeks I am back to where I started fitness wise.
2014-03-21 9:42 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely be investing in some bands to use when I do not have pool access. As for the "medicine ball", what an excellent and innovative idea, thanks for sharing

I worked In a British Columbia man camp 2 weeks in 1 out. Others were on 3&1. A friend of mind did the band exercises mentioned here while training for his full IRONMAN.

Eventually he got into a very unique periodic training. Heavy on the bike for 2 weeks heavy on the swim for 1. Running equally throughout (treadmill in CA though). It can definitely be done. Unfortunately I have not tips but only a story of success from a similar situation. Cheers,
2014-03-22 6:47 AM

New user

I suppose I could have said I lack a good pacing technique. I used to race short distances in my youth (mainly 400m IMs) so I always swim at one pace and that is fast. After about 500m I lose steam and have to rest. I would eventually like to be able to swim a 1500m with relative ease but I find that once I get back in the pool after 2 weeks I am back to where I started fitness wise.
I ran the 400/800 in track, so I know what you mean about pace being too high. I sometimes have to force myself down to a sustainable pace when I go out running. With swimming, I count my strokes and keep cadence in my head while counting "a-b-1-a-b-2" (for some reason, counting breaths with numbers is easier for me than counting every stroke with a number). If you can get the right rhythm in your head before you get in the pool, use it in your laps to pace your stroke.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Training (or lack thereof) on Shift Work Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mounting my bike, or lack thereof

Started by mrbbrad
Views: 1198 Posts: 9

2011-06-02 11:43 AM Leegoocrap

Downhill Skills (or lack thereof I should say)

Started by guncollector
Views: 800 Posts: 10

2007-03-20 9:11 AM ride_like_u_stole_it

soreness (lack thereof)

Started by idahodan
Views: 499 Posts: 3

2006-07-12 11:01 AM coachese

Speed ... A Lack Thereof

Started by VikingMom
Views: 1226 Posts: 21

2005-11-29 12:34 PM goodzen

Shift Work and Training?

Started by Crazypop
Views: 598 Posts: 4

2005-03-17 12:11 AM Crazypop
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : May 30, 2005
author : bostic
Swimming has one of the cheapest gear requirements out there. If there’s one necessity any beginner triathlete can’t do without in the pool it’s a good, reliable set of goggles.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?