of 2

2014-03-27 7:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Swim /rest bouy

OK, deep breath here...

The Swimit that bigevilegrape (what a user name - awesome!) mentioned and kindly linked to above is not towed behind you (really, if you ask a question you should at least follow the links people provide in response - I'm trying here to not echo some of the vitriol above, but it helps to meet people halfway, you know?).

Also, while the rule many have quoted or linked is, of course, accurate, the swimit is (pretty sure that bigevilgrape is spot on here, too) USAT approved.  So, the comments about floaties are correct, but do not cover this item.

You strap it on your thigh and swim away.  Freak out and want to "withdraw at will" during the swim?  Pop that sucker and float home.  You're out of the race, but safe.  In training - even better… use at will with no jeopardy.

I've thought about one for my solo OWS's.  I'm a strong (though not fast!) swimmer and usually stay only a stone's throw from shore, but as my grandmother used to say, "You can drown in a teacup if you're unlucky."  We lost a swimmer at our local pond late last season, and I've thought about this since.  Haven't bought one yet (keep thinking that what would do me in would be a cardiac/vascular event, in which case I'm hosed anyway), but still might.

I wouldn't race with it, as it would slow me down in T1, but then again I'm looking to perhaps get something different out of my race experience than others (time matters to me - even if it's usually more time on the course than I'd like!).

GL

Matt

ETA - I see that your response was to megaman, so it makes more sense in that context (as opposed to the swimit).  Took me a minute, as it wasn't quoted and I admit I don't always look at the responded to thing…  
M

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2014-03-27 7:13 AM

2014-03-27 10:08 AM
in reply to: kf4dgk

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by kf4dgk

Yeah, I thought about that. From what I remember of the sprint triathlons I did sixteen years ago the swim can get frenzied and jumbled. Having something in tow in that crowd is probably not practical.

Unfortunately, the events I'm signed up for this summer will not be wetsuit legal. They will be in the ocean though, which will help.

Also, what is an FTP swimmer?

Front of the pack. I have no other solid advise to give. I am disappointed in the communities response to this question. Notoriously BT Members jump at inexperienced and IGNORANT swimmers trying to raise awareness for the seriousness and dangers of open water swimming, which is a very good thing I believe. This thread just has a lot of negative energy for a very new poster.

It is a fair question regardless of ability / experience to ask if you can carry a potential life saving device during triathlon. True to the "sporting" of OWS (open water swim) though it's very understandable why you can not...after all USAT sanctioned races to the organizers are COMPETITIONS whether your are shooting for a podium or just to finish.
2014-03-27 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Towing something in a swim race would be impractical unless you were in the very last wave and waited until everyone left.   Everything you do in the water, including stopping and using any stroke other than freestyle with a flutter kick, will affect your fellow swimmers very negatively.  

Rule 3.4 Race Conduct.  talks about obstruction.    I think this rule could cover a number of infractions and being obstructed is one of the more frustrating things about racing. In fact if you were towing something that got in my way, I'd have to yank it or tie it to a rock   I agree that the SwimIt (worn, not towed) would probably be okay, but ferpetessake make sure you're away from other swimmers when you engage it!

I don't think the other rule technically applies to this question, but a USAT knowledgeable person can possibly explain it.

2014-03-27 10:22 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Originally posted by kf4dgkThe point is about safety and options. During the bike portion of a triathlon, participants are required to wear a helmet. This is for safety. Also, during the bike and run portions a participant can coast, walk, stop, sit, lie down, take a nap, or withdraw at will. No so with the swim. Why not? During the swim a participant will have to swim to the nearest rest point (assuming there is one). Or for that matter swim to shore in order to withdraw.

A well run race will have plenty of boats, kayaks, and SUPs throughout the swim course. If you choose to withdraw, you can flag down a volunteer and a boat can take you back to shore. I saw this happen twice at a HIM this past weekend. I know that you're expecting for someone to say that it's okay to swim with a buoy, but it's just not.

You can definitely coast on the bike or walk instead of running. You also have the option to tread water, swim in a different stroke (breast/back/doggie paddle), or float on your back to catch your breath.

2014-03-27 11:00 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by Brian W
Originally posted by kf4dgk Yeah, I thought about that. From what I remember of the sprint triathlons I did sixteen years ago the swim can get frenzied and jumbled. Having something in tow in that crowd is probably not practical. Unfortunately, the events I'm signed up for this summer will not be wetsuit legal. They will be in the ocean though, which will help. Also, what is an FTP swimmer?
Front of the pack. I have no other solid advise to give. I am disappointed in the communities response to this question. Notoriously BT Members jump at inexperienced and IGNORANT swimmers trying to raise awareness for the seriousness and dangers of open water swimming, which is a very good thing I believe. This thread just has a lot of negative energy for a very new poster. It is a fair question regardless of ability / experience to ask if you can carry a potential life saving device during triathlon. True to the "sporting" of OWS (open water swim) though it's very understandable why you can not...after all USAT sanctioned races to the organizers are COMPETITIONS whether your are shooting for a podium or just to finish.

x2. We didn't come across as a very welcoming to a new member on this one. Even to the point of it being called a stupid question. Not OK.

Anyway, welcome to BT to the OP!

2014-03-27 1:50 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

Towing something in a swim race would be impractical unless you were in the very last wave and waited until everyone left.   Everything you do in the water, including stopping, engaging an emergency swim bouy, using any stroke other than freestyle with a flutter kick, will affect your fellow swimmers very negatively.  

4.1 Permissible Strokes. Swimmers may use any stroke to propel themselves through the water and may tread water or float.

Straight from the book.

2014-03-27 1:59 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by badmo77a

Towing something in a swim race would be impractical unless you were in the very last wave and waited until everyone left.   Everything you do in the water, including stopping, engaging an emergency swim bouy, using any stroke other than freestyle with a flutter kick, will affect your fellow swimmers very negatively.  

4.1 Permissible Strokes. Swimmers may use any stroke to propel themselves through the water and may tread water or float. Straight from the book.

I didn't say that was against the rules, but impractical.   

2014-03-27 2:47 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by badmo77a

4.1 Permissible Strokes. Swimmers may use any stroke to propel themselves through the water and may tread water or float. Straight from the book.

I didn't say that was against the rules, but impractical.   

It perfectly practical for the swimmer who likes the stroke.

What you did was compare its negative impact on others with the negative impact of something that is against the rules. Which is why I picked you up on it.

Someone sticking to back of pack and side stoking away to a slow swim finish should not be compared to someone towing a float behind them in case they freak out.

A beginners forum should not be trying to create rules where there are no rules.
2014-03-27 10:10 PM
in reply to: zed707

Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim /rest bouy Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

To rest or not to rest

Started by Batlou
Views: 1122 Posts: 8

2010-11-11 3:51 PM UWMadTri

rest days/rest weeks

Started by disturbed
Views: 2114 Posts: 14

2010-10-25 8:49 AM 1stTimeTri

Swimming faster w/ bouy? Pages: 1 2

Started by fly_capt
Views: 2128 Posts: 29

2008-01-29 8:42 PM y2kdad99

Swim question??Pull bouy good or bad?

Started by DRG
Views: 1206 Posts: 14

2006-02-14 3:04 PM MLJ

Rest day poll - run or swim today?

Started by madeye
Views: 631 Posts: 5

2004-08-18 5:24 PM madcow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : July 3, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
You will have more energy during your rest or taper period. Don't be tempted to use it! Save it for your event and you will be glad you did.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
Is there Harm in Training Through Sciatic Pain at Rest?

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.