General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band Issues. Shoes and pronation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-19 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: IT Band Issues. Shoes and pronation?

OK- it's been 3 weeks now, and despite rolling twice a day and doing IT band stretches (although, not quite enough I admit), it hasn't just 'gone away'.  I'm still running with the IT band pain, but at times it gets pretty sharp and debilitating.

In reading some articles on IT band issues, they suggest that shoes with better pronation control might help.  I've got pretty flat feet and wear moderately supportive shoes (DS Trainers, Elixers, Lunarglides). 

So (other than more stretching, rolling, strength training), which direction should I move in for my next pair of shoes.  When thinking about the physics- the IT band is on the outside of the leg, which seemingly means to me, the more I pronate (cave inward), the LESS stress I put on the IT band, and the more supportive the shoe, the MORE stress I put on it.  Since this goes against conventional wisdom- there may be more going on here than I really understand.

so- what's the BT wisdom on this.  More supportive shoes or less supportive shoes?

2014-03-19 7:39 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

New user
Subject: RE: IT Band Issues. Shoes and pronation?
Shoes will be a band aid on a more serious underlying problem. The IT band is hard and not like muscle, therefore you cannot stretch it. I suffered from ITBS for a short while and tried new shoes, inserts, foam rolling with no results, all though the foam rolling gave temporary relief. Then I started focusing on improving my run form, smaller strides with more of a mid foot strike. This helped but what really made it disappear was strength training. Focus on core and your glutes, both maximus and medius. I now incorporate the strength training post run/swim/ride and the ITBS has not returned. There are many simple routines you can find on you tube.

I am no pro but it all worked for me
2014-03-19 7:40 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I know that this isn't the kind of answer that you're looking for, but I'd recommend to focus on strengthening the muscles that can reduce strain on the IT band. Limited stability/strength in the hips is often cited as a cause of IT band problems. Attacking the problem at the source might help more than the shoes. (And I don't know much about shoe design, so I'm no use on that.)

But having said that, I've been super happy with my switch to running in Hokas about a year ago. They reduced various kinds of stress on my legs, and have allowed me to run more miles than ever before in my life. But I know that not everybody warms to the 'clown shoes'.
2014-03-19 9:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
I concur with the guys above.

Rolling helps but doesn't get rid of it. When I get IT issues the only thing that works for me is resting it completely for a week or two That means no running at all for at least a week and when I do get back to running I start out SLOW (pace-wise) with absolutely no sprinting, hill repeats, fartleks, long strides- basically no effort at all. It sucks!! No fun!! Then I begin adding in longer runs and increased effort slowly. I also became aware of my form- taking shorter strides and bought shoes that that aide in a mid-foot strike, although I cant say for certain the shoes are a definite plus.

From your logs, you put in some miles. Try to give it a rest for a while or at the very least bring your avg pace way down.

Edited by EV3110 2014-03-19 10:02 PM
2014-03-20 6:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

I would rest that IT band for a solid couple weeks then start out slow.  Like others said you need to strengthen that core and other muscles.  Take the couple weeks off and hit the gym.  Last winter I developed ITBS in my right leg.  I rolled the heck out of it and also worked on more core for a couple weeks and, the problem went away.  I would also concur that your' running form has something probably wrong with it at well.  I'm a believer in the whole minimalist shoe wave and run in Newton gravity's.  Shoes are not always a "Band-Aid" but they can help somewhat if you take the time to learn a better form of running.  Ever since I went minimalist and got way from the "cushy" shoes and big drops my problems have disappeared...(knock on wood)  Newton Motions are suppose to help with bad pronator's.  Personally whenever I am running I am thinking about my form a lot.  I try and keep good form and run mid to forefoot landing.  Granted probably today when I go run 20 miles once it warms up at mile 16 or so I could slack a little in the "form" department.  :P

2014-03-20 1:16 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by colinphillips I know that this isn't the kind of answer that you're looking for, but I'd recommend to focus on strengthening the muscles that can reduce strain on the IT band. Limited stability/strength in the hips is often cited as a cause of IT band problems. Attacking the problem at the source might help more than the shoes. '.

This is the route I go. 

I don't even believe you can actually "stretch" the IT band, so your time is better spent on a little preventative strength (emphasizing outside leg/hip and glute strength.

2014-03-20 1:28 PM

I'm going through IT band issues myself. So much conflicting info out there. Some PTs think footwear is key, many don't think pronation affects it much at all. Some say stretching is the key, some say it's like a piece of old tire and can't really be stretched.

The prevailing wisdom seems to be strengthening the hips and glutes is the key to preventing future flare ups. I haven't run a step in a month, mostly due to a foot issue not related to the ITBS. In the mean time I've been following the advice from here:

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/01/it-band-injury/

Been doing that strength routine every other day for the last 3 weeks and I can definitely tell a big difference in the stability of my lower body. Haven't tried running again yet but just doing the squats and stuff feels totally different now, I can actually balance on one foot without tipping over due to weak hips and glutes. I figure that's gotta be a good thing at least.
2014-03-20 4:47 PM
in reply to: RollTideTri

User image

Pro

Thanks all for your thoughts.  Here's what I've learned:

1.  IT Bands don't stretch.  I'm gonna' keep rolling the heck out of it anyway.  I've been told that rolling the muscles around the band helps

2.  running Form:  My running form is pretty good.  high cadence (180) and I keep my feet under me.  I don't think that's the issue for me.

3.  shoes:  probably not it.  I tried running on differently canted surfaces this morning- and it didn't make a difference.

4.  Strength training:  Ahh, the solution to all running injuries.  Can't hurt.  I'll up my routine.  That said- why, after years of running and never having this injury, did it suddenly crop up.  ??? did I get weaker?

5.  Rest:  I'm a firm believer that 98.3% of all running injuries get better with rest.  That said- I've never had chronic IT band injuries, and the only time that they give me a hassle is the first week of running after a layoff.  So- for me, it seems to be related to NOT regularly using them.  In this case, I took 2 weeks off (due to a back injury) and then went out and attempted to run a 50 mi race.  (got 33mi into it and dropped due to hypothermia- but that's a different story, I was sufficiently trained for it and doing well).  I'm going to give it another week of running without ramping up the miles, and then rest it for 5 days or so- see if it gets any better.  

2014-03-21 12:12 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by morey000

Thanks all for your thoughts.  Here's what I've learned:

1.  IT Bands don't stretch.  I'm gonna' keep rolling the heck out of it anyway.  I've been told that rolling the muscles around the band helps

2.  running Form:  My running form is pretty good.  high cadence (180) and I keep my feet under me.  I don't think that's the issue for me.

3.  shoes:  probably not it.  I tried running on differently canted surfaces this morning- and it didn't make a difference.

4.  Strength training:  Ahh, the solution to all running injuries.  Can't hurt.  I'll up my routine.  That said- why, after years of running and never having this injury, did it suddenly crop up.  ??? did I get weaker?

5.  Rest:  I'm a firm believer that 98.3% of all running injuries get better with rest.  That said- I've never had chronic IT band injuries, and the only time that they give me a hassle is the first week of running after a layoff.  So- for me, it seems to be related to NOT regularly using them.  In this case, I took 2 weeks off (due to a back injury) and then went out and attempted to run a 50 mi race.  (got 33mi into it and dropped due to hypothermia- but that's a different story, I was sufficiently trained for it and doing well).  I'm going to give it another week of running without ramping up the miles, and then rest it for 5 days or so- see if it gets any better.  

So yeah, as I understand it, you can actually lose some strength/power when you train for distance. You become very efficient at one thing, but the others slip a little. Which is why the supplemental strength plays a role for those opposite muscle groups.

As for why this snuck up now? That's pretty hard to say. Are you saying you didn't run at all for 2 weeks and then attempted to run 50 miles? That very well could be the reason. I think the most common reasons are too much too soon and too fast too soon. Basically any training stress applied too drastically. 

2014-03-23 6:29 AM

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
I fought with ITBS for months until it went to see a Chiropractor to do the Graston Technique. After two sessions I had no more issues. It's very painful, however it works. This Youtube video will give you an idea about Graston. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5wQV5H9CRU
2014-03-23 8:49 AM

User image

The IT attaches to muscles that WILL stretch (or get tight), so I don't know that one could make a purely physical argument against the efficacy of stretching for IT problems. If you like stretching after running, keep stretching.

Personally, I incorporated the hip/glute strength routine from previous poster's link (+ stretching, but no rolling), and have been more or less IT pain free since last summer. Had a flare up with a 50k that turned nasty, but went away within the week. +

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band Issues. Shoes and pronation? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Why my IT Band issues aren't IT Band issues?

Started by DV 1
Views: 3945 Posts: 3

2011-03-04 5:05 PM tcovert

biking and IT band issues

Started by natebs
Views: 903 Posts: 6

2010-07-26 1:36 PM triosaurus

It band issues - should I race or not

Started by zivp
Views: 622 Posts: 4

2010-06-14 2:05 PM ron brownlow

IT Band issues

Started by BrianK
Views: 637 Posts: 13

2009-07-27 11:20 AM KeriKadi

IT band issues on the bike??

Started by jsnowash
Views: 2871 Posts: 9

2008-09-22 11:28 AM MQsack
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Everytime I up my run mileage I get injured. As I train I seem to inevitably get pulled calves, IT band syndrome then achilles issues. What can I do?

date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
It is difficult to change your gait. But, it can be done by working hard on form running that emphasizes technique, not volume in your training.