Other Resources The Political Joe » NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-20 6:44 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack

2014-03-20 8:11 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack

I'm not really sure where I stand on this.  On the one hand, I think the school it taking things a bit too far.  What if it were hair ribbons or the kid liked to dress in pink?  On the other hand, I would not expect the school to punish each kid who cracks a joke regarding the boy with the girly backpack, as there would just be too many of them.    

Personally, I would tell the parents and the kid, he could keep the backpack, but unless there is a physical confrontation, coming from another kid, that he will have to suck it up if kids tease him.  If the parents want the teasing to stop, then get your kid another frickin backpack and lose the other one.  Sorry.

I know, I'm harsh, but these are kids, they are going to make fun of the kid, and the teachers can't watch this kid 24x7 while at school, there are probably 20+ other kids in that class that have needs as well.

2014-03-20 8:29 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by velocomp

I'm not really sure where I stand on this.  On the one hand, I think the school it taking things a bit too far.  What if it were hair ribbons or the kid liked to dress in pink?  On the other hand, I would not expect the school to punish each kid who cracks a joke regarding the boy with the girly backpack, as there would just be too many of them.    

Personally, I would tell the parents and the kid, he could keep the backpack, but unless there is a physical confrontation, coming from another kid, that he will have to suck it up if kids tease him.  If the parents want the teasing to stop, then get your kid another frickin backpack and lose the other one.  Sorry.

I know, I'm harsh, but these are kids, they are going to make fun of the kid, and the teachers can't watch this kid 24x7 while at school, there are probably 20+ other kids in that class that have needs as well.

I think I'm with you on this one as well.  As parents we have a basic responsibility to get our kids to a certain acceptable state of dress as they go out the door.  If I'm dressing my kid in stinky clothes that haven't been washed in a month and not letting him bathe then he's going to get bullied.  Sure, the school can clamp down on it when they see it, but most bullying is going to happen outside of the teachers view so the school can only control so much.

We've got a neighbor kid who has been bullied his entire life because his parents seriously dress him like Urkel.  Plad sweaters, suspenders, pants up to his chest, and geeky glasses.  His parents thought it was "cute" and even nicknamed him Urkel.  He's in middle school now and has no friends and I'm pretty sure he's going to be a serial killer at some time in the future.  That wasn't the schools fault, it was his parents fault.

2014-03-20 8:56 AM

User image

Well, we can't teach kids to be able to stand up for their own beliefs now can we.

How sad.

2014-03-20 9:06 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Yeah. That's where I am with this one. MLP back-pack? Cool, but if you're going outside the norm, be ready for a little chit. Pssst--it will be this way your whole life.

2014-03-20 9:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by switch

Yeah. That's where I am with this one. MLP back-pack? Cool, but if you're going outside the norm, be ready for a little chit. Pssst--it will be this way your whole life.

Exactly. It's a problem I have with a whole lot of modern society.

If you believe in something, believe in it. There will be repercussions for your belief, some good, some bad, some indifferent. It'll be there forever.

One of the things also being taught to kids is if someone disagrees with their point of view then the person disagreeing is somehow infringing on the freedom of speech. Doesn't work like that, that's not what free speech is all about. The people disagreeing with you have the right to say so as well.

Let him brony all he wants. The other kids get to say what they're going to say as well. This is what's known as life.

(edit) This is a matter of trying to bubble wrap the whole world so you don't get hurt.

Edited by DanielG 2014-03-20 9:15 AM

2014-03-20 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by switch Yeah. That's where I am with this one. MLP back-pack? Cool, but if you're going outside the norm, be ready for a little chit. Pssst--it will be this way your whole life.

Exactly. It's a problem I have with a whole lot of modern society. If you believe in something, believe in it. There will be repercussions for your belief, some good, some bad, some indifferent. It'll be there forever. One of the things also being taught to kids is if someone disagrees with their point of view then the person disagreeing is somehow infringing on the freedom of speech. Doesn't work like that, that's not what free speech is all about. The people disagreeing with you have the right to say so as well. Let him brony all he wants. The other kids get to say what they're going to say as well. This is what's known as life. (edit) This is a matter of trying to bubble wrap the whole world so you don't get hurt.

One thing I always tell people is you can shelter kids their whole childhood but eventually they become adults where there is no shelter and they're ill equipped to handle it.
Obviously straight up bullying should be stopped when possible, but there's a lot of value to adapting and overcoming adversity as a kid as well.

I remember listening to an interview on the radio some years ago that really stuck with me. The person (some Doctor) said that as parents we want to protect our kids from all the things we had to go through as a child.  We want them to not make the same mistakes we did and not face any hardship.  However, if they never face any hardships then how are they ever going to learn?  You learned from your hardships and mistakes and it made you who you are today.  Why do you not want your child to grow up and be strong like you?.

2014-03-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

You're not raising kids, you're raising men and women. 

Most parents forget that.

2014-03-20 10:40 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by Left Brain

I'm raising slave labor. They are just doing a really bad job of it so far.
2014-03-20 10:45 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR
Originally posted by Left Brain

I'm raising slave labor. They are just doing a really bad job of it so far.

You must not be whipping them hard enough.

2014-03-20 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by switch Yeah. That's where I am with this one. MLP back-pack? Cool, but if you're going outside the norm, be ready for a little chit. Pssst--it will be this way your whole life.

Exactly. It's a problem I have with a whole lot of modern society. If you believe in something, believe in it. There will be repercussions for your belief, some good, some bad, some indifferent. It'll be there forever. One of the things also being taught to kids is if someone disagrees with their point of view then the person disagreeing is somehow infringing on the freedom of speech. Doesn't work like that, that's not what free speech is all about. The people disagreeing with you have the right to say so as well. Let him brony all he wants. The other kids get to say what they're going to say as well. This is what's known as life. (edit) This is a matter of trying to bubble wrap the whole world so you don't get hurt.

One thing I always tell people is you can shelter kids their whole childhood but eventually they become adults where there is no shelter and they're ill equipped to handle it.
Obviously straight up bullying should be stopped when possible, but there's a lot of value to adapting and overcoming adversity as a kid as well.

I remember listening to an interview on the radio some years ago that really stuck with me. The person (some Doctor) said that as parents we want to protect our kids from all the things we had to go through as a child.  We want them to not make the same mistakes we did and not face any hardship.  However, if they never face any hardships then how are they ever going to learn?  You learned from your hardships and mistakes and it made you who you are today.  Why do you not want your child to grow up and be strong like you?.

Very well said.  I had a rough time going though high school / middle school and you know what It made me a better person.  I am stronger in the face of adversity because of it.  Do I sometimes wish that things would have been better?  Of course, but I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for what I have gone through in my life.  I think getting hurt on occasion can be a good thing - it builds character. 

Of course there is a time when bullying goes to far, there is a difference between teasing and harassment.

If you are going to do something that is not in the 'normal' you are going to get teased and that's where it should stop.  The kid if he wants to wear the MLP backpack should be able to if he wants, but he will have to deal with it.  It's a good lesson in learning not to care what others think about you.  It's a tough lesson one that I wish I would have learned myself at a much younger age.

2014-03-20 11:59 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Justin86

It's a tough lesson

You got it right, Justin......every lesson worth a damn is hard fought.

2014-03-20 1:18 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

This seems to good to be true.  Something that we all are on the same page on in the Political Joe???? 

2014-03-20 1:25 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

This seems to good to be true.  Something that we all are on the same page on in the Political Joe???? 

Sometimes everyone can see when the government gets TOO involved

2014-03-20 1:31 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Sometimes everyone can see when the government gets TOO involved :)

Yeah, I got nothing to add here.  Weird ;)

2014-03-20 3:36 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Yeah, I got nothing to add here.  Weird

lol, I'm a firm believer that 80% of the people in America agree on 90% of the issues.  It's those pesky 10% of the issues where things get ugly.  

2014-03-20 4:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Well allow me to play the Devil's advocate.

Wait for it...

Just kidding.  I got nothing...

2014-03-20 4:10 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Sometimes everyone can see when the government gets TOO involved :)

Yeah, I got nothing to add here.  Weird ;)

lol, I'm a firm believer that 80% of the people in America agree on 90% of the issues.  It's those pesky 10% of the issues where things get ugly.  :)

OK, so why does this school seem to have its head up its azz?

2014-03-20 4:13 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by msteiner

Well allow me to play the Devil's advocate.

Wait for it...

Just kidding.  I got nothing...

OK, that made me laugh.  I'm a little slap-happy right now, but still :)

2014-03-20 4:48 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

lol, I'm a firm believer that 80% of the people in America agree on 90% of the issues.  It's those pesky 10% of the issues where things get ugly.  

Most parents have an expectation that schools will stop bullying and provide a safe/friendly environment for their kids to be.
Therefore the schools are going to do whatever they can to stop the bullying and that includes building kids up that are bullied as well as thump the ones that are causing the bullying.

Using my stinky kid example earlier I would guess they would take a dual approach of trying to keep kids from bullying my stinky kid, but also talk to the kid/parent about taking a friggen bath once in a while.  

I don't recall if the article mentioned the school trying to reduce the bullying in addition to recommending the kid not wear the backpack anymore.  Either way, I'm guessing they were trying to take the path of least resistance in this case but I don't really know any more than what the article says.

2014-03-20 5:04 PM

User image

Pro

Most parents have an expectation that schools will stop bullying and provide a safe/friendly environment for their kids to be.
Therefore the schools are going to do whatever they can to stop the bullying and that includes building kids up that are bullied as well as thump the ones that are causing the bullying.

Using my stinky kid example earlier I would guess they would take a dual approach of trying to keep kids from bullying my stinky kid, but also talk to the kid/parent about taking a friggen bath once in a while.  

I don't recall if the article mentioned the school trying to reduce the bullying in addition to recommending the kid not wear the backpack anymore.  Either way, I'm guessing they were trying to take the path of least resistance in this case but I don't really know any more than what the article says.

I don't know.....I hear from A LOT of parents who think the schools are out of control and only looking out for their own liability when some dumb arse parent decides to sue them because their kid is getting teased.

The problem is that the 10% you alluded to earlier bully everyone else with their wacked out ideas of how their kid should go through life without a care or problem.

Make fun of my kids......I dare you.....THAT'S how you put an end to this garbage.  Bullies are the same today as they have always been.....they hate kids who stand up.

The cure for bullying is in the home, not in a court or the principal's office.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-20 5:05 PM

2014-03-20 5:07 PM

User image

New user
when you reward thugs by punishing the victim you encourage thuggish behavior. in First Amendment law it's referred to as the heckler's veto and it's wrong. The story here is that a group a children learned that if they don't like something about a person, they can act aggressively toward that person and those in authority will require the other person to change. this was about kids and a backpack, but we often see the same thing with adults involving issues of religion or association or marriage or political views. I'm not commenting here on the kid's choices or the parents. just saying that on these facts school was wrong.
2014-03-20 5:09 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by braciole when you reward thugs by punishing the victim you encourage thuggish behavior. in First Amendment law it's referred to as the heckler's veto and it's wrong. The story here is that a group a children learned that if they don't like something about a person, they can act aggressively toward that person and those in authority will require the other person to change. this was about kids and a backpack, but we often see the same thing with adults involving issues of religion or association or marriage or political views. I'm not commenting here on the kid's choices or the parents. just saying that on these facts school was wrong.

Eh......I wouldn't characterize 9 year olds as thugs.....all they need is to get hit in the mouth with a My Little Pony book bag..... then they'll be on a better path.  Unfortunately......we have become a society who thinks that 2500 "Likes" in favor of the kid with the book bag shows support.  That's crap.  If you want to show support, smack a bully in the face while in the act.....like we used to do.  Today, you get suspended from school for standing up......completely backwards.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-20 5:11 PM
2014-03-20 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4968282

User image

New user
why wouldn't you call a 9 yr old bully a thug?

The issue with standing up has more to do with the kid and his parents, rather than the school's reaction. I'm focusing on the school. All that's being reported is that the kid was bullied because of his backpack, and the school told him not to wear it. That's the wrong message for the school to send, and if the facts were changed slightly could create a problem for the school.

All I'll say about the kid and the parents is that there are can be lots of legitimate reasons why a kid might not be able to or simply won't fight back physically, and a public school shouldn't encourage an enviroment where the kid feels threatened in school because of the back pack he wants to wear (whether the school can eliminate that enviroment is another question - but it shouldn't encourage it, which it may have done here).

2014-03-20 7:20 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by braciole why wouldn't you call a 9 yr old bully a thug? The issue with standing up has more to do with the kid and his parents, rather than the school's reaction. I'm focusing on the school. All that's being reported is that the kid was bullied because of his backpack, and the school told him not to wear it. That's the wrong message for the school to send, and if the facts were changed slightly could create a problem for the school. All I'll say about the kid and the parents is that there are can be lots of legitimate reasons why a kid might not be able to or simply won't fight back physically, and a public school shouldn't encourage an enviroment where the kid feels threatened in school because of the back pack he wants to wear (whether the school can eliminate that enviroment is another question - but it shouldn't encourage it, which it may have done here).

I'm going to say the parents are the ones that are ultimately encouraging more bullying at this point.  It's pretty apparent that they are the ones who ran to the media about this.  Had they not ran to the media and just gotten their kid another backpack nobody would have had a clue and the kids would have been just fine.

Now he's broadcast all over the world and the kids will most certainly make his life rough from here on out MLP backpack or not.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Incandescent light bulb ban Pages: 1 2

Started by zed707
Views: 3310 Posts: 29

2014-01-27 5:44 PM Kido

Religion in schools again Pages: 1 2

Started by tuwood
Views: 3184 Posts: 26

2013-09-13 10:56 AM tuwood

Prayer in School Pages: 1 2

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 4201 Posts: 39

2013-08-09 12:22 PM tuwood

block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns

Started by idahocraig
Views: 1634 Posts: 15

2013-07-12 1:36 PM tuwood

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2147 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2007
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The folks at RSS weren’t happy with the 4.75, so they updated the backpack and sent me a new one. They have continued engineering this already fantastic bag to make it even better.