Other Resources The Political Joe » NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-03-20 11:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack

Originally posted by braciole why wouldn't you call a 9 yr old bully a thug? The issue with standing up has more to do with the kid and his parents, rather than the school's reaction. I'm focusing on the school. All that's being reported is that the kid was bullied because of his backpack, and the school told him not to wear it. That's the wrong message for the school to send, and if the facts were changed slightly could create a problem for the school. All I'll say about the kid and the parents is that there are can be lots of legitimate reasons why a kid might not be able to or simply won't fight back physically, and a public school shouldn't encourage an enviroment where the kid feels threatened in school because of the back pack he wants to wear (whether the school can eliminate that enviroment is another question - but it shouldn't encourage it, which it may have done here).

Because they're 9.....geez.

I don't focus on the school with my kids.  I focus on my kid's behavior....that's what I'm responsible for.  They know the school can be wrong because I have taught them that they don't have to be bullied, and they can fight back, in spite of the school's "zero tolerance" policy.  The school doesn't like it.  I don't care.  If my children are bullied, or they are standing up for someone else who is being bullied, they know I will back them 100% if they fight back.  Guess what?  My kids don't get bullied, and they don't stand by while others are being bullied.

Bullies are made at home........so are kids who won't put up with it.  It's always been a pretty simple principle....no point in complicating it just because tuwood's 10%  have their head's up their arses.(you got it right, Tony.....but why let them run ANYTHING?)  I don't care what they think......they can't figure it out so they think the rest of us should be lost as well.  No thanks.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-20 11:15 PM

2014-03-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by braciole when you reward thugs by punishing the victim you encourage thuggish behavior. in First Amendment law it's referred to as the heckler's veto and it's wrong. The story here is that a group a children learned that if they don't like something about a person, they can act aggressively toward that person and those in authority will require the other person to change. this was about kids and a backpack, but we often see the same thing with adults involving issues of religion or association or marriage or political views. I'm not commenting here on the kid's choices or the parents. just saying that on these facts school was wrong.

Eh......I wouldn't characterize 9 year olds as thugs.....all they need is to get hit in the mouth with a My Little Pony book bag..... then they'll be on a better path.  Unfortunately......we have become a society who thinks that 2500 "Likes" in favor of the kid with the book bag shows support.  That's crap.  If you want to show support, smack a bully in the face while in the act.....like we used to do.  Today, you get suspended from school for standing up......completely backwards.

My oldest was picked on by one kid when he was in HS. One day he had enough and slugged him in class. Fortunately nobody saw it but the other kids. However, the story made it back to the guidance counselor, who called him into the office to try and get the whole story. My son's aunt is a teacher there, so we pretty much know the staff, and the counselor always liked my son. Anyway, the counselor called us and said first, there is a zero tolerance policy for fighting at the school, and if if the incident had been seen by an adult he would be suspended. Then she told us off the record, the kid was a bully and the parents are obnoxious, and the boy got what he deserved.

We thought the whole thing was handled pretty well.

2014-03-21 8:55 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by braciole why wouldn't you call a 9 yr old bully a thug? The issue with standing up has more to do with the kid and his parents, rather than the school's reaction. I'm focusing on the school. All that's being reported is that the kid was bullied because of his backpack, and the school told him not to wear it. That's the wrong message for the school to send, and if the facts were changed slightly could create a problem for the school. All I'll say about the kid and the parents is that there are can be lots of legitimate reasons why a kid might not be able to or simply won't fight back physically, and a public school shouldn't encourage an enviroment where the kid feels threatened in school because of the back pack he wants to wear (whether the school can eliminate that enviroment is another question - but it shouldn't encourage it, which it may have done here).

I don't focus on the school with my kids.  I focus on my kid's behavior....that's what I'm responsible for.  They know the school can be wrong because I have taught them that they don't have to be bullied, and they can fight back, in spite of the school's "zero tolerance" policy.  The school doesn't like it.  I don't care.  If my children are bullied, or they are standing up for someone else who is being bullied, they know I will back them 100% if they fight back.  Guess what?  My kids don't get bullied, and they don't stand by while others are being bullied.

Bullies are made at home........so are kids who won't put up with it.  It's always been a pretty simple principle....no point in complicating it just because tuwood's 10%  have their head's up their arses.(you got it right, Tony.....but why let them run ANYTHING?)  I don't care what they think......they can't figure it out so they think the rest of us should be lost as well.  No thanks.

Agree 100%

As a parent you need to teach your kids not to be bullied and not to tolerate others' bullying.  I'll back my kid every time for standing up to that. 

We have taught our kids from a pretty early age what we call "whatever dude".  If somebody is teasing you or giving you a hard time, a dismissive "whatever dude" can go a long way. We haven't had to tackle hitting/fighting yet.

We also spend a lot of time talking to our kids about those scenarios when they come and stressing to them that bullies often act that way because they've had a bad life, have been treated poorly, don't feel good about themselves, etc.  I think that's an important part for kids to understand.  It doesn't excuse it, but it helps them understand that the bullying isn't really about them.

2014-03-21 9:32 AM
in reply to: switch

New user
Originally posted by switch

Agree 100%

As a parent you need to teach your kids not to be bullied and not to tolerate others' bullying.  I'll back my kid every time for standing up to that. 

We have taught our kids from a pretty early age what we call "whatever dude".  If somebody is teasing you or giving you a hard time, a dismissive "whatever dude" can go a long way. We haven't had to tackle hitting/fighting yet.

We also spend a lot of time talking to our kids about those scenarios when they come and stressing to them that bullies often act that way because they've had a bad life, have been treated poorly, don't feel good about themselves, etc.  I think that's an important part for kids to understand.  It doesn't excuse it, but it helps them understand that the bullying isn't really about them.

Y'all are just making too much sense here. You better learn to stand up for yourself as a kid because you will need to do it as an adult.

2014-03-21 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Agree 100%

I also explained to my kids why people bully and pick on people and it changes their perspective a lot.  One time several years ago my daughter came home and told me some girl was picking on her and calling her names.  She just laughed and said that she must have a really bad life and feels sorry for her. 

Quite a different experience than just running home crying. 

2014-03-21 9:47 AM
in reply to: tuwood

New user
Yet another example of dumb azz school officials and zero tolerance.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/20/sixth-grade-girl-stops-c...

2014-03-21 9:53 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro

“Even if I got in trouble, it didn’t matter because I was helping him…I would do
it again even if I got suspended, yes.”

<iframe src="http://up.anv.bz/latest/anvload.html?key=eyJtIjoiTElOIiwicCI6ImRlZmF1bHQiLCJ2IjoiMjQyMjg3In0=" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="">

I love kids who just do the right thing, no matter how stupid the adults around them are.

2014-03-21 10:09 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by NXS Yet another example of dumb azz school officials and zero tolerance. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/20/sixth-grade-girl-stops-c...

That's so messed up it's almost unbelievable.

2014-03-21 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by tuwood

Agree 100%

I also explained to my kids why people bully and pick on people and it changes their perspective a lot.  One time several years ago my daughter came home and told me some girl was picking on her and calling her names.  She just laughed and said that she must have a really bad life and feels sorry for her. 

Quite a different experience than just running home crying. 

Exactly.  Love that, T.

I see a lot of parents teaching their kids how to be perpetual "victims"; someone can only put you down if you let them. 

2014-03-21 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I don't have kids so I guess I can't comment...

There's some controversy for ya

2014-03-21 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I don't have kids so I guess I can't comment...

There's some controversy for ya :)

Whatever dude.

ETA ;)

Edited by switch 2014-03-21 10:39 AM

2014-03-21 1:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I think part of the problem is that there are some parents out there that do not want to parent. They want the school/church/or other group to parent their children. To many parents want ot be friends with their children instead of teaching them to be a man/woman.

I tell my kids that hey will not live with mom and dad forever, so they need to plan accordingly and learn to survive without us. this doesn't mean that I am not there for my children and will not be right there besides me in any battles, but there is a difference between doing it for them and supporting them.

2014-03-21 1:58 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

I firmly believe my son could ride my little pony to school, dressed in a pink tutu, with sparkly high heels, a pink feather boa around his neck, and bright red lipstick, and survive just fine.   He'd probably nearly die laughing, but life would go on. 

2014-03-21 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I firmly believe my son could ride my little pony to school, dressed in a pink tutu, with sparkly high heels, a pink feather boa around his neck, and bright red lipstick, and survive just fine.   He'd probably nearly die laughing, but life would go on. 

Well duh!  He could outrun all the bullies.

2014-03-21 4:48 PM

User image

New user
2014-03-21 5:17 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by braciole School reverses decision. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/21/my-little-pony...

Thanks for posting that.

I still think the school has some serious administrative issues.  They have all this time to put together a statement and they come up with stuff like this:

Buncombe County Schools administrators released a joint statement Thursday, saying they would work with Bruce to make "a safety transition plan and an allowance for Grayson to bring the bookbag to school."

"We have appreciated the opportunity to meet with the Bruce family and discuss the issues. We sincerely regret that the issue of being told to leave the bookbag at home was perceived as blaming Grayson. While that was not the intent, the perception became reality. We support Grayson bringing the bookbag to school." the statement said.

Really? A "safety transition plan"? An "allowance" for the bookbag?  WTF?

And they wonder why it was "perceived as blaming" Grayson? 

Jeez.

If an elementary school needs a "safety transition plan" to deal with a 9yo MLP bullying incident it probably needs a huge staff turnover. 

2014-03-21 5:30 PM

User image

New user

I agree with just about all of this including the approach you're describing. (The only part I disagree with is the suggestion I'm getting here--and correct me if I'm wrong--that the only reason a kid wouldn't fight back is that he is afraid to get in trouble himself or because a parent isn't teaching the kid to stand up.) But I don't view the discussion as being about whether the school could have or should have punished the bullied kid who fights back, because that's not what happened with the My Little Pony kid. The discussion is about whether the school can or should tell Kid X to change his or her conduct, which is non-disruptive and permissible under any other circumstance, because it might evoke a reaction from Kids Y & Z.

Let's change the facts a little. There was a recent case in California where a school sent kids home for wearing American Flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. Here's an article about it: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/27/court-school-ok-ban...

How do you react to that?
2014-03-22 8:42 AM

User image

Now this is an interesting take on such things:

The SCHOOL is being the bully by overly enforcing rules in ways they were not meant to be and assisting the child bullies.

How A School Was Able To Bully A Boy For Loving 'My Little Pony'
http://www.yourtango.com/parenting-advice-support-bronies-brony-boy...

2014-03-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG Now this is an interesting take on such things: The SCHOOL is being the bully by overly enforcing rules in ways they were not meant to be and assisting the child bullies. How A School Was Able To Bully A Boy For Loving 'My Little Pony' http://www.yourtango.com/parenting-advice-support-bronies-brony-boy...

Rumpelstiltskin, is that you??    LMAO 

2014-03-22 11:35 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Rainbow Dash? Couldn't he have chosen a more badarse pony backpack? Applejack perhaps? Nobody would mess wit him then. Kid walks into class with an Applejack MLP pack would be like he had wrapped himself in concertina wire and deployed claymores. Just saying...
2014-03-22 12:32 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by mdg2003 Rainbow Dash? Couldn't he have chosen a more badarse pony backpack? Applejack perhaps? Nobody would mess wit him then. Kid walks into class with an Applejack MLP pack would be like he had wrapped himself in concertina wire and deployed claymores. Just saying...

2014-03-22 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by braciole

I agree with just about all of this including the approach you're describing. (The only part I disagree with is the suggestion I'm getting here--and correct me if I'm wrong--that the only reason a kid wouldn't fight back is that he is afraid to get in trouble himself or because a parent isn't teaching the kid to stand up.) But I don't view the discussion as being about whether the school could have or should have punished the bullied kid who fights back, because that's not what happened with the My Little Pony kid. The discussion is about whether the school can or should tell Kid X to change his or her conduct, which is non-disruptive and permissible under any other circumstance, because it might evoke a reaction from Kids Y & Z. Let's change the facts a little. There was a recent case in California where a school sent kids home for wearing American Flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. Here's an article about it: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/27/court-school-ok-ban... How do you react to that?

I think the kids should be able to wear the shirts.If it's a shirt you could wear any other day of the year at that school, there's no reason any group's holiday should prevent you from wearing that shirt.  Is it inflammatory?  Well, yeah, probably.  That would be another check in the "real life" column. 

Do the teachers and administrators have no relationship with these kids?  I probably had five teachers at my high school that could have sat me down and told me  I was being an idiot (oh, wait, they did) and I would have listened to them (yep, did that too).  There were also teachers I completely blew off.  But really? Nobody who could talk to these kids to prevent the "outbreak of violence" the school administrators were so worried about? 

2014-03-22 3:42 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by braciole

I agree with just about all of this including the approach you're describing. (The only part I disagree with is the suggestion I'm getting here--and correct me if I'm wrong--that the only reason a kid wouldn't fight back is that he is afraid to get in trouble himself or because a parent isn't teaching the kid to stand up.) But I don't view the discussion as being about whether the school could have or should have punished the bullied kid who fights back, because that's not what happened with the My Little Pony kid. The discussion is about whether the school can or should tell Kid X to change his or her conduct, which is non-disruptive and permissible under any other circumstance, because it might evoke a reaction from Kids Y & Z. Let's change the facts a little. There was a recent case in California where a school sent kids home for wearing American Flag t-shirts on Cinco de Mayo. Here's an article about it: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/27/court-school-ok-ban... How do you react to that?

I don't know what to think of that......my kids would have been wearing big sombreros and joining in on the fun.

2014-03-23 10:53 PM

User image

New user
I don't know what to think of that......my kids would have been wearing big sombreros and joining in on the fun.

Ok, so what if your kids were told ahead of time not to wear sombreros because of the reaction it might evoke from others, and that if they did wear the sombreros they'd get suspended? If it helps for purposes of the thought exercise, (1) what it was only your kids who wanted to wear sombreros and got the admonition (because they thought it'd be fun, and not because they were joining the fun of others) and (2) what if was during your kids' prime sports season so that a suspension would mean missing a county/state qualifying event or playoff game or the game that a scout had committed to come to?
2014-03-23 11:29 PM

User image

New user
But really? Nobody who could talk to these kids to prevent the "outbreak of violence" the school administrators were so worried about? 

In my experience there are a slim few teachers or administrators who can or care to do this effectively, which perpetuates the issues that put the administrations in the position of having these types of calls, which they often get wrong (I think the Cinco de Mayo school got it wrong, but the court said it was OK).
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » NC school bans 9 yo's My Little Pony Backpack Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Incandescent light bulb ban Pages: 1 2

Started by zed707
Views: 3308 Posts: 29

2014-01-27 5:44 PM Kido

Religion in schools again Pages: 1 2

Started by tuwood
Views: 3182 Posts: 26

2013-09-13 10:56 AM tuwood

Prayer in School Pages: 1 2

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 4201 Posts: 39

2013-08-09 12:22 PM tuwood

block funding to schools that ban imaginary guns

Started by idahocraig
Views: 1634 Posts: 15

2013-07-12 1:36 PM tuwood

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2146 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2007
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The folks at RSS weren’t happy with the 4.75, so they updated the backpack and sent me a new one. They have continued engineering this already fantastic bag to make it even better.