General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balloon SInuplasty recovery. Anyone had it done?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-20 5:07 PM

User image

Subject: Balloon SInuplasty recovery. Anyone had it done??
I have had the full blown "sinus surgery" where they break your nose, clean out everything, remove cysts, and reconstruct. Had it five years ago and now a huge mess AGAIN this year. Having the balloon procedure done one week from today (3/27) and wondering what the recovery is like. The doctor was very vague and said I should return to "normal" a few days after. Was planning to take him up on this and run, bike, and swim 3-4 days after. Now, starting to get nervous and worried that it may not be that simple (read too many things online I think). Has anyone had this done? How long before you were up to speed in your three disciplines? What about being in the pool and risk of infections? I will call my doctor's office, too, but would love some info from triathletes since we tend to lead different lifestyles than most "normal" people.

Thanks in advance!

2014-03-23 3:36 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Subject: RE: Balloon SInuplasty recovery. Anyone had it done??
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

I have had the full blown "sinus surgery" where they break your nose, clean out everything, remove cysts, and reconstruct. Had it five years ago and now a huge mess AGAIN this year. Having the balloon procedure done one week from today (3/27) and wondering what the recovery is like. The doctor was very vague and said I should return to "normal" a few days after. Was planning to take him up on this and run, bike, and swim 3-4 days after. Now, starting to get nervous and worried that it may not be that simple (read too many things online I think). Has anyone had this done? How long before you were up to speed in your three disciplines? What about being in the pool and risk of infections? I will call my doctor's office, too, but would love some info from triathletes since we tend to lead different lifestyles than most "normal" people.

Thanks in advance!

Apparently no one has done this, which isn't really making me feel much better.
2014-03-24 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
A lot depends on the extent of the procedure to be done. Straightforward office procedure usually follow up in a week, and release back to pool swimming in two weeks. Fresh/salt water swimming perhaps a little longer depending on healing which should be prompt. Typically for non sinuplasty procedures recommend 4-6 weeks avoidance of water sports or until I'm convinced adequate mucosal healing.

All cases heal a little differently, and all cases/patients are unique. If you've had extensive previous intranasal surgery, have polyps, have anatomic abnormalities, then you may need more than a straight forward balloon dilation which will prolong your healing times. Can't really help much more than that without seeing CT/nasal endoscopy results.

Hope that helps a little?
2014-03-24 4:51 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Originally posted by exnavydoc

A lot depends on the extent of the procedure to be done. Straightforward office procedure usually follow up in a week, and release back to pool swimming in two weeks. Fresh/salt water swimming perhaps a little longer depending on healing which should be prompt. Typically for non sinuplasty procedures recommend 4-6 weeks avoidance of water sports or until I'm convinced adequate mucosal healing.

All cases heal a little differently, and all cases/patients are unique. If you've had extensive previous intranasal surgery, have polyps, have anatomic abnormalities, then you may need more than a straight forward balloon dilation which will prolong your healing times. Can't really help much more than that without seeing CT/nasal endoscopy results.

Hope that helps a little?

Yes, I think it does. My ENT kept telling me that I could resume ALL normal activities just 3-4 days after surgery. Now, with that being said I am not sure he considers our behavior normal. ) I was thinking at least a week out of the pool but am going to have a very tough time giving up 2 weeks and still racing in early June. UGH! Thanks for the input;. I hate to get in there and then get an infection. I have had all the rest of it done so this is supposed to ONLY be the balloon procedure. Could have been done in-office but they moved it to surgery center for insurance purposes. THANK YOU!
2014-03-28 2:44 AM

User image

All right, since there is very little info on this on this site and others may search for answers in the future I am going to post feedback for future inquiries on here.

I had surgery yesterday at 11:00 AM. Couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight the night before so I ran 2 miles easy on surgery morning just to fulfill a 100-mile goal for March in running. Skipped my AM swim since I couldn't drink. This was ONLY the balloon sinuplasty surgery on the left side of my face/nose/sinuses. The right side was fixed 5 years ago with full rhinoplasty, re-breaking of the nose, realigning of the septum, plastic stints/packing, the whole works. That was awful but so far this, has been NOTHING.
I can breathe better than I could two days ago and have quite a bit of energy (I guess that's why I am up at 2:40 AM). I took one pain pill after surgery to rest around 1:30 PM yesterday. Slept for 2 hours and then got up, helped kids with homework, cleaned, and cooked dinner for my family. Took another pain pill and Afrin before bed at 10:30 last night and here I am. No congestion, no pain, and can't sleep.

Will continue to fill you in!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balloon SInuplasty recovery. Anyone had it done?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm having sleep apnea surgery!

Started by triathlonandy
Views: 742 Posts: 1

2012-02-26 10:40 PM triathlonandy

Foot problems -- 7 weeks on and still having issues

Started by briderdt
Views: 2127 Posts: 14

2008-08-19 3:29 PM BellinghamSpence

help--having chest strain/pain

Started by sharona
Views: 993 Posts: 3

2006-06-29 6:59 PM sharona

giving blood recovery

Started by gsulee
Views: 976 Posts: 4

2005-06-23 11:20 AM Wookiee

inguinal - recovery period?

Started by Wookiee
Views: 1002 Posts: 2

2005-04-03 9:14 PM gullahcracker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"