in reply to: leftrunner

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Faster pull than swim

Originally posted by leftrunner
Originally posted by bwalling
Originally posted by leftrunner OK, yeah, I figured it was something like what everyone is saying. So, now how to best fix my issues? Any thoughts on Youtube channels or books to specifically help on form issues? Maybe a coach for a few sessions?
The Total Immersion stuff gets a lot of mention around here. My local municipal pool has a $30/month Masters swimming program that has a pretty good coach. Cheaper than private lessons, and he actually provides some feedback rather than just workout sets.
Funny you should mention TI. I learned how to swim with TI in 2008-9. Maybe I need to get out the book and DVD and do a refresher. Thanks!

Here's a good BT video with Terry that I like to watch every now and then.  Balance part is what I always pay attention to around the 32' mark.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2244

2014-03-24 6:22 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jonnyo i do lots of pull sets.... brett sutton athletes does a lot of those also, joel filliol also. we like to swim at the front of the race...we like to get hard swim in even on days when we rode 5h or after a hard track workout. pull boey is a great tool in the right time.

I run into this problem fairly often. What kind of guidelines have you used in deciding how to do it?

2014-03-24 8:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

New user
penticton
After long ride, i see it as a excellent way to get a good swim session in doing long pull set.

After hard tempo/track workout, another excellent time to get the athletes in the pool for a pull set at lower hr...focusing on technical aspect and getting more meters in...

On the other hand, a lot of the swim session will be swim with no pulls...those are the key session that are the priority of the day.

it s simply a matter of using the tools you have to increase the training load. Very effective for triathlete....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Faster pull than swim Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Calf pull trying to get faster on the bike climb, Help

Started by Baowolf
Views: 2062 Posts: 15

2013-09-04 11:24 AM ratherbeswimming

Faster with a pull buoy Pages: 1 2

Started by sandall81
Views: 3669 Posts: 37

2012-03-15 4:00 PM katieh816

Faster with a pull buoy?

Started by Rattlesnake
Views: 1882 Posts: 22

2010-05-06 8:00 AM nerak11

Swim drill guaranteed to make you swim fast

Started by ohiost90
Views: 2354 Posts: 21

2008-07-19 9:01 AM ditchdoc

How can I pull faster?

Started by dashcollins
Views: 720 Posts: 3

2008-04-18 9:13 PM rstocks3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Not really a swim drill, but more of a focus on proper catch and pull technique to engage the lats and not the shoulders.

date : December 24, 2008
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.
date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : May 19, 2008
author : EnduRight
Next time you reach for your pull buoy, think again. By creating dependency on a buoy, the athlete never learns how to correctly create a more efficient freestyle stroke through better body position.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...