General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim resistence training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-22 6:22 PM

User image

Subject: Swim resistence training
Well this past month I've made some big improvements in swimming. Last night I corrected more of my technique and all of my 150 and 250yd sets (2,000 yds in total sets), were at 1:40/100 or slightly lower. I always wondered what my times would be if I

A) Learned flip turned (hopefully going to TRY to attempt this soon)
B) Swam in jammers instead of board shorts

I always wondered if the board shorts were good or bad. They do add a lot of drag and when I went to get some video taping done for my swim technique, I used jammers and felt like a fish! So what say you BT? Do you think the added resistance would help with building swim strength/endurance? It's not like these things can be used in any way as a crutch.

Edit:
doh....
I meant for this to be in the tri section but oh well. It is what it is.

Edited by Blastman 2014-03-22 6:24 PM

2014-03-30 9:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: Swim resistence training
Boardshorts can be useful... but I don't recommend them. Now that I got that out of the way, let me explain. When I was training for Jr and Sr nationals before the 2000 olympics, yes I would swim the taper in board shorts and warm up for the event in board shorts. Then again.. I was trying to qualify for olympic trials. 5000-8000 meters a day in board shorts will definitely show some drag... once you hop back into the race suit... wow, you literally fly... However, let me also say that I had perfect form. I spent YEARS having my stroke analyzed and re-analyzed by coaches... to the point that I could feel if my pinky was out of place during a pull. Since you are just getting going, and your technique is not perfect yet, I would recommend swimming in jammers, you don't need the added drag right now. It is very easy to develop bad habits at this stage. If anything, the week before the race, go get a drag suit (CAS has them, TYR makes some.. so does Nike) and use that for your taper. Also remember, the swim is the shortest event. For me, when I swim, I primarily swim in a drag suit, just because I'm use to it. When I do a race or an event, I'll swim in just a speedo or my tri-suit. You will never see me in a wetsuit no matter how cold the water... The Catalina swim and english channel don't allow them, and trust me, the water doesn't get any colder than those... That's why they created vasoline. If you plan on swimming in a wetsuit, practice in it occasionally to get comfortable with it.

Edited by Swimaway 2014-03-30 9:59 AM
2014-03-30 9:58 AM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: Swim resistence training
Oh and congrats on the flip turn!! That's a huge accomplishment!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim resistence training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM Swim Training Question

Started by Lance26.2
Views: 1505 Posts: 17

2008-10-02 5:34 PM rstocks3

Half training and buoy in the swim

Started by sparrow
Views: 783 Posts: 2

2008-05-06 6:14 AM run4yrlif

IM Swim Training

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1576 Posts: 12

2008-02-06 2:35 PM rottieguy

Training, Training Logs, Coaches, Over Training

Started by rmullen1
Views: 2604 Posts: 20

2008-02-04 12:56 PM infosteward

IMKY Swim training

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1100 Posts: 7

2007-03-10 12:54 PM Rogillio
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2013
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
Much has changed in swimming over the past 30 years. I will summarize the most important changes in two categories; swim training and swimming technique. Both are critical to fast swimming.

date : December 1, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Olympic swimmer advises not spending too much time on swim training in the winter, depending on your ability
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : August 8, 2008
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.
date : February 13, 2007
comments : 2
Some anaerobic training is essential. You will need to have some speed to break out of the pack, turn a buoy at a proper angle, or to lose the annoying swimmer behind you that's grabbing your ankles.

date : November 6, 2006
Interval training is essential to improving your swim time. Here are a few examples of setting up your swim interval training.
date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
comments : 3
Triathlon Swim Training for Beginners

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.