General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flying with soft shelled bike cases Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-24 1:41 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Veteran
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Flying with soft shelled bike cases
I have a Hen House made by TJ Tollakson. I took two trips and had no issues. I did see them throw the bags on, but packed it down well. You get these braces to put between the fork and rear to keep from bending in. I also put almost all of my clothes and everything else in to pad it up more.

It can get heavy, and I think the newer versions has wheels.

Otherwise had no issues. Also, you can tell them its just exercise equipment and don't get charged extra for the bike.

2014-03-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by pschriver I have been looking at bike cases. I have used Hard shell cases in the past but have seen people use soft shelled cases that really look convienient. Are there many horror stories with soft shelled cases or is it a viable option?
I use the biknd helium. http://biknd.com/en/It's lighter than a hard case but I believe it provides equal protection when properly inflated. Once arrived at destination, it folds into a pretty small package. I can rent a compact or sump compact without any problems It's rolls around like a hard case It does get checked in like a hard case, but there are never overweight surcharges because it is quite light. I have used it about 10x and it's been great.

Have to say, that looks pretty sweet.

Noob question - how hard is it to take off and re-install the rear derailleur? 

Matt

Shameless self promotion but I just put a Biknd Helium case for sale on the Slowtwitch classifieds.  Never been used.

Feel free to add a link here.

12 hours ago I would have bought your case
2014-03-24 4:08 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've never had a problem with a hard case, soft case, cardboard box or plastic bags. We usually use the cardboard boxes for touring (flying to the place) and just plastic bags on the way home. Travelling with the race bike I usually use a hard case and my SO has a soft case. They both take about the same amount of time to pack and I wouldn't trust one over the other. The soft case seems to fit more stuff, but that is likely just our models.

This is our soft case:

http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/classifieds/DAKINE-SOFT-BIKE-BAG-GREAT-PRICE-/cid/9338/

This is our hard case:

http://www.cambriabike.com/Trico-Ironcase-Bicycle-Hardcase-Grey.asp

2014-03-24 8:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by pschriver I ended up going for this: http://www.swiftcarbon.com/gear/ochrana-bike-pack/My frame has already made one trip to Calfee so if it destroyed I will have a good excuse to get a new frame anyway.

So.....is it small enough to avoid bike fees and check as regular luggage?  If so, and you don't mind, can you take a picture of your bike in the case while you're packing it? 

That is exactly the same thing as the Aerus bag that I use. It is NOT small enough to avoid fees. But, again, I have checked it six times now without paying anything more than the $25 extra bag fee.
2014-03-24 8:46 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by pschriver I ended up going for this: http://www.swiftcarbon.com/gear/ochrana-bike-pack/My frame has already made one trip to Calfee so if it destroyed I will have a good excuse to get a new frame anyway.

So.....is it small enough to avoid bike fees and check as regular luggage?  If so, and you don't mind, can you take a picture of your bike in the case while you're packing it? 

That is exactly the same thing as the Aerus bag that I use. It is NOT small enough to avoid fees. But, again, I have checked it six times now without paying anything more than the $25 extra bag fee.

How?  What airline?  I'm not disputing what you say because I've seen the airlines in action, but what gets it through if it's not under the size limits?  What about TSA?  Did they open it or did it just go through like other bags?

2014-03-24 8:51 PM

Master
, California

How?  What airline?  I'm not disputing what you say because I've seen the airlines in action, but what gets it through if it's not under the size limits?  What about TSA?  Did they open it or did it just go through like other bags?

Not sure about him, but I've found the non-U.S. carriers to be much more tolerant of bikes.  I took that Trico Iron Case on Qantas to Australia (2011) and a couple weeks ago on Air New Zealand, and didn't pay fees on either one.  I did have to shuffle some gear to get under the 50lb limit or whatever they have, but the dimensions were not an issue.

Also on a separate note, if you upgrade to something above economy, the baggage rules often change favorably.  Read the fine print.

2014-03-24 8:56 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

Originally posted by spudone

Not sure about him, but I've found the non-U.S. carriers to be much more tolerant of bikes.  I took that Trico Iron Case on Qantas to Australia (2011) and a couple weeks ago on Air New Zealand, and didn't pay fees on either one.  I did have to shuffle some gear to get under the 50lb limit or whatever they have, but the dimensions were not an issue.

Also on a separate note, if you upgrade to something above economy, the baggage rules often change favorably.  Read the fine print.

Thanks for that!  I'll start checking.

2014-03-25 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Some airlines offer credit cards and one of the member perks is free bags.  My United Explorer Plus card allows for two free checked bags, which will never include a bike case but I thought I'd throw that out there.

2014-03-25 8:33 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Go to the DCRainmaker blog and read his tips for getting the bag on the plane. IME it works exactly as he describes.

Short story. Pay the extra bag fee from home ($25). If they see it is a bike they need to go in to the computer and change the fees. It is often more of a pain than it is worth to them.

Keep the bag behind you, kind of out of sight as you are checking in for your flight. Make the bike bag the last bag you check in, after all of the computer work is done.

If they ask what is in the bag you can tell them exercise equipment, training supplies, triathlon race equipment, or even parts of a bike. For me, I would not lie, if they directly ask me if it is a bike, I say yes.

I am unfailingly polite to them. If I have to pay a fee, I will. So far I have been lucky. I have twice admitted ths, yes, it s a bike but the counter person decided it was just too much effort to go in and change the fees in the computer.

2014-03-25 8:45 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Go to the DCRainmaker blog and read his tips for getting the bag on the plane. IME it works exactly as he describes. Short story. Pay the extra bag fee from home ($25). If they see it is a bike they need to go in to the computer and change the fees. It is often more of a pain than it is worth to them. Keep the bag behind you, kind of out of sight as you are checking in for your flight. Make the bike bag the last bag you check in, after all of the computer work is done. If they ask what is in the bag you can tell them exercise equipment, training supplies, triathlon race equipment, or even parts of a bike. For me, I would not lie, if they directly ask me if it is a bike, I say yes. I am unfailingly polite to them. If I have to pay a fee, I will. So far I have been lucky. I have twice admitted ths, yes, it s a bike but the counter person decided it was just too much effort to go in and change the fees in the computer.

This approach has given me about a 50/50 success rate.  In one case as he was putting the bag tag on the bike, the agent paused (realizing it was a bike) and said "how much does the bike weigh with the bag?".  I said around 40 lbs and he just said, "ok good" and carried on.

2014-03-25 10:59 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

Pack one or two of the pedals in another bag.

If an airline rep asks if it's a bike you can then say "There are bike PARTS in there, but not a whole bike".

2014-03-25 12:34 PM
in reply to: faded_memories

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

For a group that are generally sticklers about rules, I'm a little surprised at the responses suggesting ways to "get around" airline fees and rules. I'm all about saving money, and if an agent is nice and waives your fees that's on the agent. But lying about what's in your bike case? Is that what some of you are promoting (not all, some of you have clearly said you would not lie)? Hopefully I'm mis-interpreting. 

2014-03-25 12:47 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I pretty much only fly Air Canada, WestJet, Alaska Air or Air Transat now for the $50 or less fee to bring a bike.

2014-03-25 12:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

For a group that are generally sticklers about rules, I'm a little surprised at the responses suggesting ways to "get around" airline fees and rules. I'm all about saving money, and if an agent is nice and waives your fees that's on the agent. But lying about what's in your bike case? Is that what some of you are promoting (not all, some of you have clearly said you would not lie)? Hopefully I'm mis-interpreting. 

For the record, if airline bike fees get any higher I'm advocating violence.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-25 12:53 PM
2014-03-25 6:13 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
I fly pretty much non stop. I can tell you from experience I have used just about every case out there. I have used the soft cases that you can find on ebay for pretty cheap, as mentioned above, they protect the bike from scratches. My training bike will go in there, but you'll never see me put the P5 in there... even though I've never had any damage at all. Pros to this case, most ticket agents won't recognize it as a bike bag and won't charge you the bike rate.
I have used a hockey bags.. yes they work, not as well as the soft case, but let's face it, I was in college and on a budget. Believe it or not, these usually don't even get the ticket agent to ask about the bag... they just check it. I use to throw all my clothes, and everything I needed in that bag... it was my 1 free bag, usually underweight.
Hard cases are the best... least amount of damage to the bike, but you will pay for it.... both in the case itself and for checked bag fees. If you care about your bike, I recommend the hard case.
2014-03-25 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine
I just went through this whole thing myself and was going to go the soft sided route....until an airport executive, with whom I do business, said I was absolutely crazy to put a multi-thousand dollar bike in anything not hard sided....and certainly when I've been training for months and paid $1000's total for airfare, hotel, etc.

He's been all over the baggage handling areas, as a long time airline exec and now top airport exec at one of the largest airports in the US....he said the large hard sided cases are set aside and treated more carefully than soft sided cases...and certainly if a soft sided case appears like it could just have clothes or whatever in them...they are tossed around and stacked. The hard sided cases are given more care.

After this, I went the hard sided route, just purchased the new Thule hard sided case that has a bike stand "integrated/included." Looks pretty good so far, I fly with it on Friday.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flying with soft shelled bike cases Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Flying with Serfas Bike Case

Started by PearlieGirl
Views: 846 Posts: 3

2013-05-05 3:08 PM KathyG

Hard Shell or Soft Shell Bike Case? =S

Started by Mag Mirra
Views: 1270 Posts: 3

2012-11-01 2:25 PM metafizx

Anyone fly a bike case on Jetblue?

Started by wstchstrTriathlete
Views: 1036 Posts: 5

2010-11-03 9:21 AM JorgeM

Soft Cases, your thoughts? Pages: 1 2

Started by halfpint
Views: 4181 Posts: 26

2013-09-27 8:08 PM Jason N

Soft Bike Cases

Started by ranger5oh
Views: 637 Posts: 7

2008-04-02 12:18 PM patricia7
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.

date : August 6, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
We review both the Sci'Con Atlas and the Aerotech Evolution bike cases for traveling with your bike.
date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.

date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Incline Chest Fly- Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.