Other Resources The Political Joe » UN says 2013's extreme weather is due to warming earth Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-04-01 1:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: UN says 2013's extreme weather is due to warming earth

Originally posted by drewb8

Originally posted by Left Brain

First mushroom found in Missouri this past weekend down in Branson.  Tennesse, Oklahoma, Arkansas all reporting first finds as well......bushels being picked in Ga. and 'Bama.  Dandelions popping here in East Central, Mo.  We'll have our first finds any day now.  About 3 weeks later than 2012, the last warm, wet, spring.  That year the first finds in Minnesota were the first week in April, and Morels were found in Ontario by the first week in May.

Can you pick them as soon as they appear or does it take them a little while to get up to the right size?  I'm guessing you have some morel standards?

I have no moral standards......wait.......what?

The first greys don't usually grow much after they pop up.....so we just pick them and put them on a pizza or in an omlette.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-01 1:13 PM

2014-04-01 1:32 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP

First mushroom found in Missouri this past weekend down in Branson.  Tennesse, Oklahoma, Arkansas all reporting first finds as well......bushels being picked in Ga. and 'Bama.  Dandelions popping here in East Central, Mo.  We'll have our first finds any day now.  About 3 weeks later than 2012, the last warm, wet, spring.  That year the first finds in Minnesota were the first week in April, and Morels were found in Ontario by the first week in May.

How'd you find all that out--websites?

What do bushels in Georgia and Alabama have to do with when you'll find your first grey by St. Louis? Nothing.

I know you don't like maps or charts, but here's another one, just to remind you how much further south those are.  Tennessee, Oklahoma and Arkansas are all more southern too.  The reason they're reporting morels is because the soil temp is right.

Even Branson is at the bottom of your state. Oh, and was that a black? 

You said you'd find your first grey by the end of this week.  Give me a pic that proves it was anywhere close to St. Louis and this year, and I will certainly admit I was wrong--I have no problem doing that.

2014-04-01 1:35 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro

Originally posted by switch

What do bushels in Georgia and Alabama have to do with when you'll find your first grey by St. Louis? Nothing.

I know you don't like maps or charts, but here's another one, just to remind you how much further south those are.  Tennessee, Oklahoma and Arkansas are all more southern too.  The reason they're reporting morels is because the soil temp is right.

You said you'd find your first grey by the end of this week.  Give me a pic that proves it was anywhere close to St. Louis and this year, and I will certainly admit I was wrong--I have no problem doing that.

No, a buddy called me to let me know.  Temp map is fine for you....i already told you that dandelions are up here.....mushrooms will be within days.  Rain tonight and tomorrow with overnight lows of 52....high on Thursday of 79.  Go find a graph to play with. LMAO

2014-04-01 1:42 PM

User image

Pro

Here's anhother soil map for you.....yes, that light green you see over Missouri is 50-55 degrees. bwaaaahahahahaha !!!

I love graph and charts......everyone's got one to show their POV....the only one you can count on is the experience of what you see and know from years past.

Still......nice try. LMAO

(greencast_today_na_500.png)

Attachments
----------------
greencast_today_na_500.png (12KB - 2 downloads)
2014-04-01 1:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

No, a buddy called me to let me know.  Temp map is fine for you....i already told you that dandelions are up here.....mushrooms will be within days.  Rain tonight and tomorrow with overnight lows of 52....high on Thursday of 79.  Go find a graph to play with. LMAO

Your "buddy"? Whatever dude.

Maybe I should make a graph of the number of times you've been wrong in this thread.

2014-04-01 1:46 PM

User image

Pro

No...wait.......it's 55-60 degrees.

(legend_500x25.gif)

Attachments
----------------
legend_500x25.gif (2KB - 1 downloads)

2014-04-01 1:50 PM

User image

Pro

Hey....here's a chart you can actually use, switch.......of course, it's just people's experiences plotted on a map.  You might want to check out how early muchrooms REALLY come up in a warm year. LMAO    This year is about 3 weeks behind.....graph it if you must.

http://morelmushroomhunting.com/archives2012.htm

2014-04-01 2:20 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Woah--where'd my soil map go?  I didn't edit it and it's just gone.  That's trippy.

Here it is again:

My understanding is that the 4" temp is more relevant than the surface temp for morels (the map you posted must be surface temps), but I don't know that for sure.  It is also my understanding that you need 47 for greys. 

LB, you're the one insisting on the false dichotomy between experience and data/graphs/science, not me.  My husband and I founded a nature education non-profit eight years ago which is dedicated to getting kids and families nature experience.  Our program, Taproot Nature Experience takes kids outside every school day of the year and all summer long--hundreds of kids a year--including an after school program, summer camps and a year-round outdoor preschool. Last week kids tapped maples, explored creek beds, found antler sheds (5 in one week!), played with heritage breed baby animals and looked at different animal skeletons. 

2014-04-01 2:26 PM

User image

Pro

Woah--where'd my soil map go?  I didn't edit it and it's just gone.  That's trippy.

Here it is again:

My understanding is that the 4" temp is more relevant than the surface temp for morels (the map you posted must be surface temps), but I don't know that for sure.  It is also my understanding that you need 47 for greys. 

LB, you're the one insisting on the false dichotomy between experience and data/graphs/science, not me.  My husband and I founded a nature education non-profit eight years ago which is dedicated to getting kids and families nature experience.  Our program, Taproot Nature Experience takes kids outside every school day of the year and all summer long--hundreds of kids a year--including an after school program, summer camps and a year-round outdoor preschool. Last week kids tapped maples, explored creek beds, found antler sheds (5 in one week!), played with heritage breed baby animals and looked at different animal skeletons. 

Yay for you and Mr. Switch....... by Saturday we will find the first greys in central Missouri.  It will rain tomorrow and Thursday with highs of 79 and lows of 52-60.....onions are up, dandelions are up, may apples are just showing their shoots.....jonquils and dafidils bloomed over the weekend. 

Really Switch.....this is easy stuff. 

You really explored a creek bed?  AMAZING!!! 

2014-04-01 2:34 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Here's anhother soil map for you.....yes, that light green you see over Missouri is 50-55 degrees. bwaaaahahahahaha !!!

I love graph and charts......everyone's got one to show their POV....the only one you can count on is the experience of what you see and know from years past.

You two are making me laugh.

Switch, sometimes the smartest and brightest just can't compete with real world.  I know absolutely nothing about shrooms, but I know the people that know how to get them know how to get them and when they're going to be there.  I went hunting with my Dad many a times as a kid and he always knew exactly when/where to get them.  I just followed along.  I never liked eating the things, so I had no desire to continue on in the tradition.

The weather "experts" can be experts all they want, but my money's generally on the folks on the ground.  I think those experts at the weather channel forecasted this to be an above average warm winter in the US if I recall.  :-P

2014-04-01 2:34 PM

User image

Pro

The other thing, Switch......your map is as silly as the one I posted.  There is no way in hell the soil temperature is the same throughout the state.  It's not the same on top of the hill as it is in the valley.  It's not the same on the South facing slopes as it is on the North slopes.  What you've got there, switch, are avg. temperatures.....which don't mean diddly squat to a mushroom on a south facing creek bank in black river bottom dirt. 

The south sloping yards here all have dandelions now.....just popped yesterday....the lawns that slope North have none. Do I need to find a chart or a graph for you to understand why? Do you think the soil temps are the same? 

2014-04-01 2:37 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Here it is again:

Yay for you and Mr. Switch....... by Saturday we will find the first greys in central Missouri.  It will rain tomorrow and Thursday with highs of 79 and lows of 52-60.....onions are up, dandelions are up, may apples are just showing their shoots.....jonquils and dafidils bloomed over the weekend. 

Oh, and on a much more important note.  I used to run the Network Engineering group at DTN prior to the Telvent acquisition which is the source of that map.  They're based in Omaha and that's where a lot of my weather geek roots started to grow.  

2014-04-01 2:46 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Here it is again:

Yes, for lots of kids exploring creek beds is "AMAZING!!!"  Someone with your unrivaled, unquestionable, experience that allows you to overrule recorded averages with your memory and attempt to belittle anyone who challenges you should know all of the cool things you can find there--including, when it warms up, morels.

2014-04-01 2:52 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by tuwood

Switch, sometimes the smartest and brightest just can't compete with real world.  I know absolutely nothing about shrooms, but I know the people that know how to get them know how to get them and when they're going to be there.  I went hunting with my Dad many a times as a kid and he always knew exactly when/where to get them.  I just followed along.  I never liked eating the things, so I had no desire to continue on in the tradition.

The weather "experts" can be experts all they want, but my money's generally on the folks on the ground.  I think those experts at the weather channel forecasted this to be an above average warm winter in the US if I recall.  :-P

Yep, do you think I'm not also "on the ground"?  Tony, I've found mushrooms every year since I was 10. That's 30 years.

I provided the morel website link because those forums are filled with the people besides me and LB who are "on the ground".

2014-04-01 2:54 PM

User image

Pro

Here it is again:

Yes, for lots of kids exploring creek beds is "AMAZING!!!"  Someone with your unrivaled, unquestionable, experience that allows you to overrule recorded averages with your memory and attempt to belittle anyone who challenges you should know all of the cool things you can find there--including, when it warms up, morels.

That really hurts me.....I've never even seen a creek bed.   

By the way,  when this started I told you from memory what the temperatures were like when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's........exactly what you ended up seeing in your "normal" graph.   Have your kids remember what they see and when they see it.......nature reoccurs over and over with the same telltale signs....once again, no graph needed.

2014-04-01 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

The other thing, Switch......your map is as silly as the one I posted.  There is no way in hell the soil temperature is the same throughout the state.  It's not the same on top of the hill as it is in the valley.  It's not the same on the South facing slopes as it is on the North slopes.  What you've got there, switch, are avg. temperatures.....which don't mean diddly squat to a mushroom on a south facing creek bank in black river bottom dirt. 

The south sloping yards here all have dandelions now.....just popped yesterday....the lawns that slope North have none. Do I need to find a chart or a graph for you to understand why? Do you think the soil temps are the same? 

Yep.  North and south slope temps can vary a ton. 

2014-04-01 2:57 PM

User image

Pro

Yep, do you think I'm not also "on the ground"?  Tony, I've found mushrooms every year since I was 10. That's 30 years.

I provided the morel website link because those forums are filled with the people besides me and LB who are "on the ground".

Well....according to the chart in the link I posted (provided by folks "on the ground")......you did NOT find morels in Iowa on 5/5/12....it was too late...they were up in Ontario by then.  LMAOOOO

I LOVE CHARTS AND GRAPHS!!!! 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-01 2:57 PM
2014-04-01 2:58 PM

User image

Pro

Yep.  North and south slope temps can vary a ton. 

Well...there must be no topography in your map. LMAO

2014-04-01 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Here it is again:

By the way,  when this started I told you from memory what the temperatures were like when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's........exactly what you ended up seeing in your "normal" graph.   Have your kids remember what they see and when they see it.......nature reoccurs over and over with the same telltale signs....once again, no graph needed.

Except, that wasn't why I pulled up the graph. I pulled it up to prove that your winter was below normal.  And then had to repeatedly define normal for you.

Keep going dude. Don't you have anything new?  Any new ways you can try to twist what I've written or try to create more of a false dichotomy between  personal experience and data?

2014-04-01 3:06 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Well....according to the chart in the link I posted (provided by folks "on the ground")......you did NOT find morels in Iowa on 5/5/12....it was too late...they were up in Ontario by then.  LMAOOOO

Go back and read the post http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=484874&posts=24#M4728723,

5/5/13. Jeeeeesus.

I'm out. You're being ridiculous.

2014-04-01 3:07 PM

User image

Pro

Here it is again:

Except, that wasn't why I pulled up the graph. I pulled it up to prove that your winter was below normal.  And then had to repeatedly define normal for you.

Keep going dude. Don't you have anything new?  Any new ways you can try to twist what I've written or try to create more of a false dichotomy between  personal experience and data?

And you were wrong.....those winters were perfectly normal then.  Just like the winters my chidlren have experienced are perfectly normal for them.  I'll say it again.....you posted a graph of AVERAGE TEMPERATURE.......the actual, normal temperature is always above or below that.  There have been periods of cold winters and periods of warm winters throughout the 90 years that were graphed.....all perfectly normal!!

2014-04-01 3:09 PM

User image

Pro

Go back and read the post http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=484874&posts=24#M4728723,

5/5/13. Jeeeeesus.

I'm out. You're being ridiculous.

Meh....you have to throw '13 out anyway because it had nothing to do with temperature.....it was lack of moisture.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-01 3:09 PM
2014-04-01 3:15 PM

User image

Pro

Uh.....this is what you posted on THIS thread:

"It's very possible that I missed the first mushrooms last year, or every year for that matter, but as you can see from your spring thread, my pic from 2012 shows yellows and greys."

I know...with all the data, and charts, and graphs, it all gets confusing. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-01 3:16 PM
2014-04-01 3:25 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Can't we go back to something less controversial like Global Warming.  Drew?  

maybe evolution/creation?  ;-)

2014-04-01 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Uh.....this is what you posted on THIS thread:

"It's very possible that I missed the first mushrooms last year, or every year for that matter, but as you can see from your spring thread, my pic from 2012 shows yellows and greys."

I know...with all the data, and charts, and graphs, it all gets confusing. 

I don't know why it's confusing for you--maybe because you're trying to lie about what I said again.  Look at the original thread, your own thread.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=484874&posts=24#M4728723

Here's the pic talking about 2012, with yellows and greys.

2013-04-18 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4704809

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: It's officially Spring

You must live somewhere nice and warm :)  Those look delicious.  I'm envious.

We love em.  It's still freakishly cold here though.  My prediction is we'll be looking at the second week of May this year (almost a full month behind last year), but nice and wet, so I'm hopeful it will be a good year.

From a decent day at the sweet spot on the back 40 last year:

Here's the post talking about the 2013 finds. Posted on 5/6 at 6:11, found on 5/5.

switch

2013-05-06 6:11 AM
in reply to: #4707176

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: It's officially Spring

Bump.

Our first morels of this year.  The best part was that our kids found (really found) a bunch of them :)

And while we were looking we saw a snapping turtle trekking to her nest spot.  The kids also got to practice their garter snake catching skills and bird ID.  Awesome nature day.

AND you're still ignoring the NOAA definition of normal.

You lie, shift the target and don't work with accepted definitions.  You're wrong and your rhetoric is pathetic.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » UN says 2013's extreme weather is due to warming earth Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Weather reporters........ Pages: 1 2

Started by Left Brain
Views: 1506 Posts: 28

2014-01-09 12:13 PM crowny2

An inconvenient truth on Global Warming? Pages: 1 2

Started by tuwood
Views: 5241 Posts: 38

2013-10-01 3:21 PM tuwood

How sequestration is impacting research 2013 Pages: 1 2

Started by switch