Other Resources The Political Joe » UN says 2013's extreme weather is due to warming earth Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-03-25 7:14 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: UN says 2013's extreme weather is due to warming earth

2014-03-25 8:01 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: UN says 2013's extreme weather is due to warming earth

Well, good.  I'm glad that's settled.

2014-03-25 8:07 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by moondawg14

Lol. 

Right, Tuwood?

2014-03-25 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by switch

Lol. 

Right, Tuwood?

I'm not really sure how we've let Tony *UNDERWOOD* go this long without being called "Francis."  

Right, Francis?

2014-03-26 7:06 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Lol. 

Right, Tuwood?

I'm not really sure how we've let Tony *UNDERWOOD* go this long without being called "Francis."  

Right, Francis?

I'm actually getting a little worried.  Francis can't resist a GW thread.  I hope he's OK.

2014-03-26 7:53 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

lol, you guys are funny.  (and don't call me Francis)  

So an international political organization making a proclamation such as this is all it takes for you to believe it?  I unfortunately subscribe to the scientific method for my opinions on this topic, and the UN fear mongering to get more money/power isn't part of it.

I'm not aware of any scientific study that concludes that increasing global temperatures contribute to extreme weather.  In fact, most studies are pointing to the opposite that increasing temperatures are contributing to a reduction in extreme weather:

Late-Holocene land surface change in a coupled social–ecological system, southern Iceland: a cross-scale tephrochronology approach (finds storminess and extreme weather variability was far more common during the Little Ice Age in comparison to the Medieval Warm Period and the 20th century.)

North Atlantic Storms: Medieval Warm Period vs. Little Ice Age (For this particular portion of the planet, it should be very clear that relative coolness, as opposed to relative warmth, typically leads to more extreme storms, which is just the opposite of what the world's climate alarmists continue to contend.)

New paper finds the highest storm activity is associated with cold periods ("We find that high storm activity occurred periodically with a frequency of about 1,500 years, closely related to cold and windy periods.")

2014-03-26 7:55 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Lol. 

Right, Tuwood?

Right, Francis?

I'm actually getting a little worried.  Francis can't resist a GW thread.  I hope he's OK.

lol, I'm ok.  Some of us have to do work on rare occasions.  

I thought I taught you guys to be more skeptical of these politicians.  I see that there is still much work to be done.

2014-03-26 10:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Denver

Originally posted by tuwood

So an international political organization making a proclamation such as this is all it takes for you to believe it?  I unfortunately subscribe to the scientific method for my opinions on this topic, and the UN fear mongering to get more money/power isn't part of it.

I'm not aware of any scientific study that concludes that increasing global temperatures contribute to extreme weather.  In fact, most studies are pointing to the opposite that increasing temperatures are contributing to a reduction in extreme weather:

Late-Holocene land surface change in a coupled social–ecological system, southern Iceland: a cross-scale tephrochronology approach (finds storminess and extreme weather variability was far more common during the Little Ice Age in comparison to the Medieval Warm Period and the 20th century.)

North Atlantic Storms: Medieval Warm Period vs. Little Ice Age (For this particular portion of the planet, it should be very clear that relative coolness, as opposed to relative warmth, typically leads to more extreme storms, which is just the opposite of what the world's climate alarmists continue to contend.)

New paper finds the highest storm activity is associated with cold periods ("We find that high storm activity occurred periodically with a frequency of about 1,500 years, closely related to cold and windy periods.")

It's important to note that the WMO is not saying the global warming caused extreme events, just that an increase such as we saw last year is consistent with what you'd expect from a warming planet.  There are good reasons based on physics to expect a warmer atmosphere which can hold more water to produce more extreme temperature and precipitation events.  For a good discussion on why it's hard to detect a trend in extreme events see here.

There are many studies linking increased global temps to increased extreme events, especially heatwaves.  Since you can't seem to find any, here's just a small sample of some of the most recent and highly cited: here, here and here.  

The studies you reference, while I think they're important (understanding factors influencing climate in the past is a good way to predict the future), they definitely do not represent most research on extreme events, and if you read them, they are not necessarily saying that cooler temps = more storms or warm temps = less storms.  For example, in the first paper finding more storminess during the LIA, they found that "the synoptic scale atmospheric variability during the MM, characterized by individually detected and tracked mid-latitude cyclones in the North Atlantic, was generally shifted southwards at the exit region of the storm track (i.e., over Europe)."  In other words, it's not necessarily that there were more storms, just that the storm track was shifted south during the cold periods to the region where the study was conducted and they detected an increase there.  This paper was pretty cool too in that they linked these changes in the NAO (which changed the storm track) to increased La Nina conditions half way around the world in the Pacific.

And in the last paper looking at cycles of storminess, they note that if we go by cycles, we should actually be at a low point and say "our results also indicate that modern coupled ocean atmosphere dynamics at North Atlantic mid-latitudes should trend towards the low phase of the 1,500-year internal oceanic cycle, in contrast to LIA climate conditions. This observation is highly relevant, as it highlights that the recent increase in storm activity diverges from its natural background variability."

There are good reasons to expect an overall decrease in storms with a warming world - they're driven by energy imbalances, and if the poles and the equator are closer in temperature to each other, we'd expect to see less energy moving between them.  But acting against that is an overall increase of energy retained in the atmosphere due to our CO2, so we'd expect extreme temperature and precip events to be more extreme than they'd otherwise be, which is consistent with what we're now observing.

ETA- BTW - just saw this paper just out today predicting decreased storminess in Australia due to GW. Bad news for Bodhi & Johnny Utah.

Edited by drewb8 2014-03-26 11:12 AM
2014-03-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Pro

Originally posted by drewb8

ETA- BTW - just saw this paper just out today predicting decreased storminess in Australia due to GW. Bad news for Bodhi & Johnny Utah.

That wouldn't be bad news in Vietnam.  Charlie don't surf.

2014-03-26 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

It's important to note that the WMO is not saying the global warming caused extreme events, just that an increase such as we saw last year is consistent with what you'd expect from a warming planet.  There are good reasons based on physics to expect a warmer atmosphere which can hold more water to produce more extreme temperature and precipitation events.  For a good discussion on why it's hard to detect a trend in extreme events see here.

There are many studies linking increased global temps to increased extreme events, especially heatwaves.  Since you can't seem to find any, here's just a small sample of some of the most recent and highly cited: here, here and here.  

The studies you reference, while I think they're important (understanding factors influencing climate in the past is a good way to predict the future), they definitely do not represent most research on extreme events, and if you read them, they are not necessarily saying that cooler temps = more storms or warm temps = less storms.  For example, in the first paper finding more storminess during the LIA, they found that "the synoptic scale atmospheric variability during the MM, characterized by individually detected and tracked mid-latitude cyclones in the North Atlantic, was generally shifted southwards at the exit region of the storm track (i.e., over Europe)."  In other words, it's not necessarily that there were more storms, just that the storm track was shifted south during the cold periods to the region where the study was conducted and they detected an increase there.  This paper was pretty cool too in that they linked these changes in the NAO (which changed the storm track) to increased La Nina conditions half way around the world in the Pacific.

And in the last paper looking at cycles of storminess, they note that if we go by cycles, we should actually be at a low point and say "our results also indicate that modern coupled ocean atmosphere dynamics at North Atlantic mid-latitudes should trend towards the low phase of the 1,500-year internal oceanic cycle, in contrast to LIA climate conditions. This observation is highly relevant, as it highlights that the recent increase in storm activity diverges from its natural background variability."

There are good reasons to expect an overall decrease in storms with a warming world - they're driven by energy imbalances, and if the poles and the equator are closer in temperature to each other, we'd expect to see less energy moving between them.  But acting against that is an overall increase of energy retained in the atmosphere due to our CO2, so we'd expect extreme temperature and precip events to be more extreme than they'd otherwise be, which is consistent with what we're now observing.

But as you mentioned it is hard to detect trends in extreme events and there's no real scientific method to quantify them.  So, when the alarmists at the UN come out touting that 2013 was an "increase in extreme weather" I call BS or at the least ask an increase from what?  Then they say that it's consistent with the effects of AGW, but scientists haven't been able to quantify or observe the effects and some studies even indicate a calming effect on weather.

I know for North America, which is obviously just a small part of the Globe we had one of the least extreme years on record with record low numbers of what most people consider extreme events.
Tornados (lowest since 2000),
Wildfires (lowest in ten years),
Extreme Heat (lowest 100 degree plus days in almost 100 years) BTW, the highest years with the most 100 degree plus days in the US were 1936, 1934, 1954, 1980, & 1930 from highest to lowest.
Atlantic Hurricane's lowest since early 90's

Obviously they're referring to some of the global events, which very well may be "more extreme", but they're always listed as "the worst flooding in 50 years" or the worse drought in 75 years type events, but what then caused them 50 or 75 years ago?

2014-03-26 4:57 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Science RULES!

I made a volcano once out of clay, baking soda and vinegar.  So I totally get the whole 'science' thing! 

2014-03-26 5:02 PM
in reply to: tuwood

New user
Alarmists have been around for quite a while. Some of their predictions (which were wrong) are just comical, especially some of the more recent ones listed.

"The climate of New-York and the contiguous Atlantic seaboard has long been a study of great interest. We have just experienced a remarkable instance of its peculiarity. The Hudson River, by a singular freak of temperature, has thrown off its icy mantle and opened its waters to navigation.” – New York Times, Jan. 2, 1870

“Is our climate changing? The succession of temperate summers and open winters through several years, culminating last winter in the almost total failure of the ice crop throughout the valley of the Hudson, makes the question pertinent. The older inhabitants tell us that the winters are not as cold now as when they were young, and we have all observed a marked diminution of the average cold even in this last decade.” – New York Times, June 23, 1890

“The question is again being discussed whether recent and long-continued observations do not point to the advent of a second glacial period, when the countries now basking in the fostering warmth of a tropical sun will ultimately give way to the perennial frost and snow of the polar regions.” – New York Times, Feb. 24, 1895

Professor Gregory of Yale University stated that “another world ice-epoch is due.” He was the American representative to the Pan-Pacific Science Congress and warned that North America would disappear as far south as the Great Lakes, and huge parts of Asia and Europe would be “wiped out.” – Chicago Tribune, Aug. 9, 1923

“The discoveries of changes in the sun's heat and southward advance of glaciers in recent years have given rise to the conjectures of the possible advent of a new ice age – Time Magazine, Sept. 10, 1923

Headline: “America in Longest Warm Spell Since 1776; Temperature Line Records a 25-year Rise” – New York Times, March 27, 1933

“America is believed by Weather Bureau scientists to be on the verge of a change of climate, with a return to increasing rains and deeper snows and the colder winters of grandfather's day.” – Associated Press, Dec. 15, 1934

Warming Arctic Climate Melting Glaciers Faster, Raising Ocean Level, Scientist Says – “A mysterious warming of the climate is slowly manifesting itself in the Arctic, engendering a "serious international problem," Dr. Hans Ahlmann, noted Swedish geophysicist, said today. – New York Times, May 30, 1937

“Greenland's polar climate has moderated so consistently that communities of hunters have evolved into fishing villages. Sea mammals, vanishing from the west coast, have been replaced by codfish and other fish species in the area's southern waters.” – New York Times, Aug. 29, 1954

“An analysis of weather records from Little America shows a steady warming of climate over the last half century. The rise in average temperature at the Antarctic outpost has been about five degrees Fahrenheit.” – New York Times, May 31, 1958

“Several thousand scientists of many nations have recently been climbing mountains, digging tunnels in glaciers, journeying to the Antarctic, camping on floating Arctic ice. Their object has been to solve a fascinating riddle: what is happening to the world's ice? – New York Times, Dec. 7, 1958

“After a week of discussions on the causes of climate change, an assembly of specialists from several continents seems to have reached unanimous agreement on only one point: it is getting colder.” – New York Times, Jan. 30, 1961

“Like an outrigger canoe riding before a huge comber, the earth with its inhabitants is caught on the downslope of an immense climatic wave that is plunging us toward another Ice Age.” – Los Angeles Times, Dec. 23, 1962

“Col. Bernt Balchen, polar explorer and flier, is circulating a paper among polar specialists proposing that the Arctic pack ice is thinning and that the ocean at the North Pole may become an open sea within a decade or two." – New York Times, Feb. 20, 1969

“By 1985, air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half . . . ." – Life magazine, January 1970

“In ten years all important animal life in the sea will be extinct. Large areas of coastline will have to be evacuated because of the stench of dead fish.” – Paul Ehrlich, Earth Day, 1970

"Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind. We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation." – Barry Commoner (Washington University), Earth Day, 1970

Because of increased dust, cloud cover and water vapor, "the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born.” – Newsweek magazine, Jan. 26, 1970

“The United States and the Soviet Union are mounting large-scale investigations to determine why the Arctic climate is becoming more frigid, why parts of the Arctic sea ice have recently become ominously thicker and whether the extent of that ice cover contributes to the onset of ice ages.” – New York Times, July 18, 1970

“In the next 50 years, fine dust that humans discharge into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuel will screen out so much of the sun's rays that the Earth's average temperature could fall by six degrees. Sustained emissions over five to 10 years, could be sufficient to trigger an ice age." – Washington Post, July 9, 1971

“It's already getting colder. Some midsummer day, perhaps not too far in the future, a hard, killing frost will sweep down on the wheat fields of Saskatchewan, the Dakotas and the Russian steppes. . . .” – Los Angles Times, Oct. 24, 1971

“An international team of specialists has concluded from eight indexes of climate that there is no end in sight to the cooling trend of the last 30 years, at least in the Northern Hemisphere.” – New York Times, Jan. 5, 1978

“A poll of climate specialists in seven countries has found a consensus that there will be no catastrophic changes in the climate by the end of the century. But the specialists were almost equally divided on whether there would be a warming, a cooling or no change at all.” – New York Times, Feb. 18, 1978

“A global warming trend could bring heat waves, dust-dry farmland and disease, the experts said... Under this scenario, the resort town of Ocean City, Md., will lose 39 feet of shoreline by 2000 and a total of 85 feet within the next 25 years.” – San Jose Mercury News, June 11, 1986

“Global warming could force Americans to build 86 more power plants -- at a cost of $110 billion -- to keep all their air conditioners running 20 years from now, a new study says...Using computer models, researchers concluded that global warming would raise average annual temperatures nationwide two degrees by 2010, and the drain on power would require the building of 86 new midsize power plants – Associated Press, May 15, 1989

“New York will probably be like Florida 15 years from now.” -- St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Sept. 17, 1989

"[By] 1995, the greenhouse effect would be desolating the heartlands of North America and Eurasia with horrific drought, causing crop failures and food riots . . . [By 1996] The Platte River of Nebraska would be dry, while a continent-wide black blizzard of prairie topsoil will stop traffic on interstates, strip paint from houses and shut down computers . . . The Mexican police will round up illegal American migrants surging into Mexico seeking work as field hands.” – "Dead Heat: The Race Against the Greenhouse Effect," Michael Oppenheimer and Robert H. Boyle, 1990.

"It appears that we have a very good case for suggesting that the El Ninos are going to become more frequent, and they're going to become more intense and in a few years, or a decade or so, we'll go into a permanent El Nino. So instead of having cool water periods for a year or two, we'll have El Nino upon El Nino, and that will become the norm. And you'll have an El Nino, that instead of lasting 18 months, lasts 18 years,” according to Dr. Russ Schnell, a scientist doing atmospheric research at Mauna Loa Observatory. – BBC, Nov. 7, 1997

"Scientists are warning that some of the Himalayan glaciers could vanish within ten years because of global warming. A build-up of greenhouse gases is blamed for the meltdown, which could lead to drought and flooding in the region affecting millions of people." -- The Birmingham Post in England, July 26, 1999

“This year (2007) is likely to be the warmest year on record globally, beating the current record set in 1998.” – ScienceDaily, Jan. 5, 2007

Arctic warming has become so dramatic that the North Pole may melt this summer (2008), report scientists studying the effects of climate change in the field. "We're actually projecting this year that the North Pole may be free of ice for the first time [in history]," David Barber, of the University of Manitoba, told National Geographic News aboard the C.C.G.S. Amundsen, a Canadian research icebreaker. – National Geographic News, June 20, 2008
2014-03-26 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Denver

But as you mentioned it is hard to detect trends in extreme events and there's no real scientific method to quantify them.  So, when the alarmists at the UN come out touting that 2013 was an "increase in extreme weather" I call BS or at the least ask an increase from what?  Then they say that it's consistent with the effects of AGW, but scientists haven't been able to quantify or observe the effects and some studies even indicate a calming effect on weather.

I know for North America, which is obviously just a small part of the Globe we had one of the least extreme years on record with record low numbers of what most people consider extreme events.
Extreme Heat (lowest 100 degree plus days in almost 100 years) BTW, the highest years with the most 100 degree plus days in the US were 1936, 1934, 1954, 1980, & 1930 from highest to lowest.

Obviously they're referring to some of the global events, which very well may be "more extreme", but they're always listed as "the worst flooding in 50 years" or the worse drought in 75 years type events, but what then caused them 50 or 75 years ago?

Climate change does not mean that extreme events never happened in the past or that everything is going to be extreme all the time.  What the extra heat in the atmosphere means is that we can expect extreme events to occur more often on average.  A drought that used to occur once every 100 years will now occur once every 50.  Yes, obviously extreme events happened in the past, the same physical mechanisms that cause them now caused them then, it's just that the changes we're making to the atmosphere cause them to happen more frequently.

You can't take data from a single summer that occurred over 7% of the planet and attach any meaning to it.  For one thing, scientists themselves acknowledge they don't totally know yet how or if warming affects tornadoes and hurricanes. Wildfires is just cherry picked data, it was a lower # of fires, but the second highest amount of acres burned ever.  So fewer fires but they were a lot bigger.  In fact, there was fire burning in Rocky Mtn National Park a year ago in December!  I don't know if you know what it's like at 12,000 in Colorado in december, but it's not normally considered fire weather.  As far as extreme heat goes, this is one area of extremes where scientists are actually able to quantify with good certainty that we're seeing an increase in extreme events (as opposed to precip events where changes in frequency are harder to detect).  Over the last last decade we're seeing two record hot temperatures recorded for every one cold one (if the climate was in balance you'd expect it to be 1:1) and the number of unusually hot summer temperatures has been steadily increasing.  13 of the 14 hottest years on record have been this century and you have to go back to 1985 to find a month where the global avg temp was below the 20th century avg.

2014-03-26 8:42 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Climate change does not mean that extreme events never happened in the past or that everything is going to be extreme all the time.  What the extra heat in the atmosphere means is that we can expect extreme events to occur more often on average.  A drought that used to occur once every 100 years will now occur once every 50.  Yes, obviously extreme events happened in the past, the same physical mechanisms that cause them now caused them then, it's just that the changes we're making to the atmosphere cause them to happen more frequently.

You can't take data from a single summer that occurred over 7% of the planet and attach any meaning to it.  For one thing, scientists themselves acknowledge they don't totally know yet how or if warming affects tornadoes and hurricanes. Wildfires is just cherry picked data, it was a lower # of fires, but the second highest amount of acres burned ever.  So fewer fires but they were a lot bigger.  In fact, there was fire burning in Rocky Mtn National Park a year ago in December!  I don't know if you know what it's like at 12,000 in Colorado in december, but it's not normally considered fire weather.  As far as extreme heat goes, this is one area of extremes where scientists are actually able to quantify with good certainty that we're seeing an increase in extreme events (as opposed to precip events where changes in frequency are harder to detect).  Over the last last decade we're seeing two record hot temperatures recorded for every one cold one (if the climate was in balance you'd expect it to be 1:1) and the number of unusually hot summer temperatures has been steadily increasing.  13 of the 14 hottest years on record have been this century and you have to go back to 1985 to find a month where the global avg temp was below the 20th century avg.

The irony of that chart is the record cold we've been experiencing in the northern hemisphere this last year.  Coldest in 100 years I believe.  
I agree that the US is just a small portion and means nothing globally, but it is still a valid data point.  
I'm curious how the graph above and your thoughts reconciles with these key statements from the IPCC AR5 WGI Chapter 2 on extremes. (my emphasis on the bolded section)

“Overall, the most robust global changes in climate extremes are seen in measures of daily temperature, including to some extent, heat waves. Precipitation extremes also appear to be increasing, but there is large spatial variability”

“There is limited evidence of changes in extremes associated with other climate variables since the mid-20th century”

“Current datasets indicate no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century … No robust trends in annual numbers of tropical storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes counts have been identified over the past 100 years in the North Atlantic basin”

“In summary, there continues to be a lack of evidence and thus low confidence regarding the sign of trend in the magnitude and/or frequency of floods on a global scale”

“In summary, there is low confidence in observed trends in small-scale severe weather phenomena such as hail and thunderstorms because of historical data inhomogeneities and inadequacies in monitoring systems”

“In summary, the current assessment concludes that there is not enough evidence at present to suggest more than low confidence in a global-scale observed trend in drought or dryness (lack of rainfall) since the middle of the 20th century due to lack of direct observations, geographical inconsistencies in the trends, and dependencies of inferred trends on the index choice. Based on updated studies, AR4 conclusions regarding global increasing trends in drought since the 1970s were probably overstated. However, it is likely that the frequency and intensity of drought has increased in the Mediterranean and West Africa and decreased in central North America and north-west Australia since 1950”

“In summary, confidence in large scale changes in the intensity of extreme extratropical cyclones since 1900 is low”

2014-03-26 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Denver

[The irony of that chart is the record cold we've been experiencing in the northern hemisphere this last year.  Coldest in 100 years I believe.  

I agree that the US is just a small portion and means nothing globally, but it is still a valid data point.  
I'm curious how the graph above and your thoughts reconciles with these key statements from the IPCC AR5 WGI Chapter 2 on extremes. (my emphasis on the bolded section)

“Overall, the most robust global changes in climate extremes are seen in measures of daily temperature, including to some extent, heat waves. Precipitation extremes also appear to be increasing, but there is large spatial variability”

“There is limited evidence of changes in extremes associated with other climate variables since the mid-20th century”

“Current datasets indicate no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century … No robust trends in annual numbers of tropical storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes counts have been identified over the past 100 years in the North Atlantic basin”

“In summary, there continues to be a lack of evidence and thus low confidence regarding the sign of trend in the magnitude and/or frequency of floods on a global scale”

“In summary, there is low confidence in observed trends in small-scale severe weather phenomena such as hail and thunderstorms because of historical data inhomogeneities and inadequacies in monitoring systems”

“In summary, the current assessment concludes that there is not enough evidence at present to suggest more than low confidence in a global-scale observed trend in drought or dryness (lack of rainfall) since the middle of the 20th century due to lack of direct observations, geographical inconsistencies in the trends, and dependencies of inferred trends on the index choice. Based on updated studies, AR4 conclusions regarding global increasing trends in drought since the 1970s were probably overstated. However, it is likely that the frequency and intensity of drought has increased in the Mediterranean and West Africa and decreased in central North America and north-west Australia since 1950”

“In summary, confidence in large scale changes in the intensity of extreme extratropical cyclones since 1900 is low”

Didn't we already do this thread a month or two ago?

The irony is that despite the cold in the US, globally it was the 4th warmest January on record.

I think the graphs above reconcile fine with the IPCC findings on extremes.  It says "most robust global changes in climate extremes are seen in measures of daily temperature, including to some extent, heat waves" which is in line.  We have good temperature records and clearly see increased frequency and intensity of heat waves outside the range of natural variability.  

As far as the other trends go, I don't really see anything crazy either.  I'll point out again that the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  The low confidences are not because there is no trend, it's because the extreme events are by definition rare so it takes a long time for a trend to be able to statistically detected. 

For the bolded part - the same thing holds for drought.  The lack of a global trend is not necessarily because there is no trend, it's because extreme droughts are rare, and for most of the world, monitoring is sparse and there isn't much historical record to go on, so there just isn't enough data to detect a global trend.  But that's not the same thing as saying there is no trend  Another thing to consider when thinking about drought is that it depends on where you are.  Under climate change, the expectation is that the wet areas will get wetter and the dry areas will get dryer.  As you might guess, many fewer people live in deserts so there are fewer monitors there making it more difficult to detect a trend. 

From the IPCC: "Compelling arguments both for and against significant increases in the land area affected by drought and/or dryness since the mid-20th century have resulted in a low confidence assessment of observed and attributable large-scale trends. This is due primarily to a lack and quality of direct observations, dependencies of inferred trends on the index choice, geographical inconsistencies in the trends and difficulties in distinguishing decadal scale  variability from long term trends."

There are many studies out there predicting an increase in extreme heat waves such as the recent one in Australia, so when the WMO says these observations are in line with expectations it's hardly going out on a limb or being 'alarmist'.  I don't think you can take an individual extreme event and say that it's some kind of smoking gun for climate change like some people like to do.  But we do have good evidence for increasing heat waves and ok evidence so far for changes in precip (esp increases in frequency and intensity of heavy heavy rainfall), so when taken as a whole, the patterns of extreme weather are changing in line with our expectations.  As data for other less frequent phenomena such as droughts and hurricanes comes in with time we'll be better able to say with more certainty whether those are changing as well.

I don't know how well I spelled out my perspective, so if that was clear as mud let me know.

Edited by drewb8 2014-03-26 11:02 PM
2014-03-27 6:53 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

[The irony of that chart is the record cold we've been experiencing in the northern hemisphere this last year.  Coldest in 100 years I believe.  

Didn't we already do this thread a month or two ago?

The irony is that despite the cold in the US, globally it was the 4th warmest January on record.

I think the graphs above reconcile fine with the IPCC findings on extremes.  It says "most robust global changes in climate extremes are seen in measures of daily temperature, including to some extent, heat waves" which is in line.  We have good temperature records and clearly see increased frequency and intensity of heat waves outside the range of natural variability.  

As far as the other trends go, I don't really see anything crazy either.  I'll point out again that the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  The low confidences are not because there is no trend, it's because the extreme events are by definition rare so it takes a long time for a trend to be able to statistically detected. 

For the bolded part - the same thing holds for drought.  The lack of a global trend is not necessarily because there is no trend, it's because extreme droughts are rare, and for most of the world, monitoring is sparse and there isn't much historical record to go on, so there just isn't enough data to detect a global trend.  But that's not the same thing as saying there is no trend  Another thing to consider when thinking about drought is that it depends on where you are.  Under climate change, the expectation is that the wet areas will get wetter and the dry areas will get dryer.  As you might guess, many fewer people live in deserts so there are fewer monitors there making it more difficult to detect a trend. 

From the IPCC: "Compelling arguments both for and against significant increases in the land area affected by drought and/or dryness since the mid-20th century have resulted in a low confidence assessment of observed and attributable large-scale trends. This is due primarily to a lack and quality of direct observations, dependencies of inferred trends on the index choice, geographical inconsistencies in the trends and difficulties in distinguishing decadal scale  variability from long term trends."

There are many studies out there predicting an increase in extreme heat waves such as the recent one in Australia, so when the WMO says these observations are in line with expectations it's hardly going out on a limb or being 'alarmist'.  I don't think you can take an individual extreme event and say that it's some kind of smoking gun for climate change like some people like to do.  But we do have good evidence for increasing heat waves and ok evidence so far for changes in precip (esp increases in frequency and intensity of heavy heavy rainfall), so when taken as a whole, the patterns of extreme weather are changing in line with our expectations.  As data for other less frequent phenomena such as droughts and hurricanes comes in with time we'll be better able to say with more certainty whether those are changing as well.

I don't know how well I spelled out my perspective, so if that was clear as mud let me know.

lol, I know we keep hashing this back and forth, but I truly enjoy the discussions and for the record I didn't start this one.  

I also think we're just debating the effects of a warming planet which really isn't the issue.

2014-03-27 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Denver

lol, I know we keep hashing this back and forth, but I truly enjoy the discussions and for the record I didn't start this one.  

I also think we're just debating the effects of a warming planet which really isn't the issue.

So I guess this thread would count as an extreme event?  Just kidding.  I think the topic is interesting too and really important so I don't mind either.

And I think you hit the nail on the head.  It's fairly straightforward to say we're warming up the planet because it's something we can go out and actually measure  and see the effects already occurring in any number of ways.  But predictions are hard in any discipline, especially one as complex as the atmosphere and it's good to scrutinize them.  But the catch is that the climate system is a one way street.  It's not like Obamacare or something where if it turns out not to work we can go back and try again.  The changes we're making to the atmosphere are pretty much irreversible on a human time scale.  There's no way to pull the CO2 out of the air or put the ice back in Greenland.

2014-03-27 9:18 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So I guess this thread would count as an extreme event?  Just kidding.  I think the topic is interesting too and really important so I don't mind either.

And I think you hit the nail on the head.  It's fairly straightforward to say we're warming up the planet because it's something we can go out and actually measure  and see the effects already occurring in any number of ways.  But predictions are hard in any discipline, especially one as complex as the atmosphere and it's good to scrutinize them.  But the catch is that the climate system is a one way street.  It's not like Obamacare or something where if it turns out not to work we can go back and try again.  The changes we're making to the atmosphere are pretty much irreversible on a human time scale.  There's no way to pull the CO2 out of the air or put the ice back in Greenland.

Anything Switch is involved with is considered an extreme event.  haha

2014-03-27 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

The changes we're making to the atmosphere are pretty much irreversible on a human time scale.  There's no way to pull the CO2 out of the air or put the ice back in Greenland.

One of the reason I am pro GW group.

Biggest problem with the debate is people trying to profit off each side. Money always clouds people's judgement.
2014-03-27 10:37 AM

User image

Pro

All I know is that because of this winter morel mushrooms are already about 3 weeks late from when I have found them the last 10 years, and I'd venture a guess it'll still be another 10 days before we find the first of them here.  This is bullcrap.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-27 10:38 AM
2014-03-27 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Denver

Originally posted by Left Brain

All I know is that because of this winter morel mushrooms are already about 3 weeks late from when I have found them the last 10 years, and I'd venture a guess it'll still be another 10 days before we find the first of them here.  This is bullcrap.

So this year is about when it should be then if the climate wasn't changing...  Don't worry, the wait will help build character.

Edited by drewb8 2014-03-27 10:50 AM

2014-03-27 10:55 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

So this year is about when it should be then if the climate wasn't changing...  Don't worry, the wait will help build character.

True enough.  When we were kids around here we always had to wait until April 1 or so.  LIke I said, the last 10 year sor so it's been earlier and earlier.  Two years agto I found the first of them on 3/8.....which was crazy early for here in the midwest.   This year, as you say, was Winter more like when I was a kid.

Overall, I don't care.....I just want some damn mushrooms.

2014-03-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by chirunner134
Originally posted by drewb8  The changes we're making to the atmosphere are pretty much irreversible on a human time scale.  There's no way to pull the CO2 out of the air or put the ice back in Greenland.
One of the reason I am pro GW group. Biggest problem with the debate is people trying to profit off each side. Money always clouds people's judgement.

Um Hello, Global warming caused by CFCs, not carbon dioxide and CO2 helps the plants grow.  ;-)

Oh, and don't forget a huge contributor to Greenland's ice melting is the high heat flow from the mantle into the lithosphere.  It's melting from below.

(btw Drew, I'm trying to be funny with the CFC's.  I know it's just a contributor but I do like how the graphs line up)

2014-03-27 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Denver

Um Hello, Global warming caused by CFCs, not carbon dioxide and CO2 helps the plants grow.  ;-)

Oh, and don't forget a huge contributor to Greenland's ice melting is the high heat flow from the mantle into the lithosphere.  It's melting from below.

(btw Drew, I'm trying to be funny with the CFC's.  I know it's just a contributor but I do like how the graphs line up)

I thought you were being funny with all of that.

It's all well and good, but you're forgetting the most important factor:

2014-03-27 11:47 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Silly, it's not the pirates, it's the US Government.  You just didn't realize they were using the Post Office to do it.
I present the evidence:

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » UN says 2013's extreme weather is due to warming earth Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Weather reporters........ Pages: 1 2

Started by Left Brain
Views: 1509 Posts: 28

2014-01-09 12:13 PM crowny2

An inconvenient truth on Global Warming? Pages: 1 2

Started by tuwood
Views: 5244 Posts: 38

2013-10-01 3:21 PM tuwood

How sequestration is impacting research 2013 Pages: 1 2

Started by switch