General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Terrible back pain - anyone experience this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-25 3:35 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Terrible back pain - anyone experience this?

When I lay down on my back or cough/ laugh/ breathe deeply -- I get a TERRIBLE upper back pain on my left side. It's excruciating and I've been waking up in pain every couple of hours. I'm pregnant so I can't get an xray/ MRI/ etc. and can't take anything other than Tylenol (which doesn't help) for the pain. I've tried ice/ heat but nothing works. It's a sharp, shooting, stabbing pain. My OB said heat and Tylenol and I'm working with my chiropractor (I've had one adjustment and have another appointment on Friday).

Has anyone experienced this? It's on my left side -- between the middle of my back and my armpit. 

2014-03-25 3:48 PM
in reply to: trishie

Subject: RE: Terrible back pain - anyone experience this?
I've had similar to what you are describing and when I get it it's severe muscle spasms. Self-massage, as in rolling a tennis ball between my back and a wall or floor, is the only thing that ever helped it. Once I felt a knot I would dig in with the tennis ball and work it out. That usually gives me a few hours of relief.
2014-03-25 5:46 PM
in reply to: RollTideTri

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by RollTideTri I've had similar to what you are describing and when I get it it's severe muscle spasms. Self-massage, as in rolling a tennis ball between my back and a wall or floor, is the only thing that ever helped it. Once I felt a knot I would dig in with the tennis ball and work it out. That usually gives me a few hours of relief.

Thanks! It does feel like spasms. When you say "a few hours of relief" --- does that mean the pain comes back in full force later?

2014-03-25 6:53 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I've experienced back strains/spasms like you describe in the same place, and they were debilitating.  For me, the answer was 1-2 days off work (it was so bad I couldn't even ride in a car), and muscle relaxants.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure muscle relaxant medication isn't an option for you.    If your doctor doesn't have any other suggestions, you may need to spend a day or two at home resting.

2014-03-25 7:27 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
I know this is basic, but you really need to be stretching more. Get a foam roller and roll out your back, use a tennis ball for specific areas. But seriously, stretch stretch and stretch some more. Stretch before and after all activities. I ran into this same issue a few years ago, since then, my stretching routine has increased 10x... and I've never had the issue again. Not to mention, I can now touch my toes.... I have never been able to do that before
2014-03-25 7:55 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
It sounds like muscle spasms to me, too. I dealt with them for months a few years back and nothing really helped, not even my muscle relaxers. Not a fun answer.

2014-03-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Pro
Burbs

Thanks everyone. I was up every 2 hours last night with the pain, but it seems better ... I actually woke up on my back when my alarm went off -- something I haven't been able to do without SEVERE pain. I hope whatever it is is working itself out. My husband has been giving me massages and I used the tennis ball last night, so I hope this means it's getting better. 

2014-03-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: Swimaway

Veteran
Originally posted by Swimaway

I know this is basic, but you really need to be stretching more. Get a foam roller and roll out your back, use a tennis ball for specific areas. But seriously, stretch stretch and stretch some more. Stretch before and after all activities. I ran into this same issue a few years ago, since then, my stretching routine has increased 10x... and I've never had the issue again. Not to mention, I can now touch my toes.... I have never been able to do that before

I agree with this. I also highly recommend ART therapy session over chiro (and I believe in chiro, just not for this type of issue). The active release therapy people will actually help the muscle release. worth the money even if insurance doesn't cover it
2014-03-26 12:07 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by sheesleeva
Originally posted by Swimaway I know this is basic, but you really need to be stretching more. Get a foam roller and roll out your back, use a tennis ball for specific areas. But seriously, stretch stretch and stretch some more. Stretch before and after all activities. I ran into this same issue a few years ago, since then, my stretching routine has increased 10x... and I've never had the issue again. Not to mention, I can now touch my toes.... I have never been able to do that before
I agree with this. I also highly recommend ART therapy session over chiro (and I believe in chiro, just not for this type of issue). The active release therapy people will actually help the muscle release. worth the money even if insurance doesn't cover it

And ART isn't all that expensive when paying out of pocket either.  It sounds like a good option to me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Terrible back pain - anyone experience this? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

experiencing foot pain

Started by bjones101071
Views: 1807 Posts: 15

2013-03-26 4:49 PM morey000

Back pain from sleeping on back because of broken collar

Started by rungirl222
Views: 1821 Posts: 12

2012-12-19 8:28 PM KSH

Terrible back pain... Help..

Started by Thaitri
Views: 642 Posts: 5

2009-07-28 10:19 AM Thaitri

Experienced Runr: Shin Pains

Started by Porfirio
Views: 691 Posts: 8

2009-06-12 1:05 PM Porfirio

Experienced Triā€™ers - think back please

Started by mikenhe
Views: 1732 Posts: 19

2004-04-04 10:15 AM Nancytris
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : January 17, 2011
comments : 2
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?
date : May 25, 2009
comments : 1
I started playing basketball three times a week in addition to running and biking. Now, whenever I run any distance, the next day, I can hardly sit in my chair at work.