General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CANT STOP EATING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-25 5:32 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: CANT STOP EATING!
My training has increased from 5-6 to 7-9 hours each week. I am training much more "focused" and at a slightly higher level of effort now.

I can't stop eating. I have a pretty good diet and don't eat 3 meals but rather small bits throughout the day. I usually munch on celery, apples, bananas, carrots/hummus, turkey pita sandwich, quinoa, bagel with peanut butter, fish, chicken, homemade granola bars, eggs, potatoes, and protein shakes.

It's never enough. What used to be a big portion is now a smack. A suitable frequency of eating before feels like an eternity now.

Is this normal, should I continue to "fuel" my body or is adding much more food to my diet a poor choice (from the limited info I've provided you)?

EDIT: 7-9 may not seem like a large amount of time to some but it is more than I've ever done.

Edited by Brian W 2014-03-25 5:39 PM

2014-03-25 5:43 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Austin
Subject: RE: CANT STOP EATING!

welcome to the rungries!

As you expend more you need to fuel more. Just beware your feeling of needing more and the more you really need may differ.

I know I gain weight when mary training. Just because I can't get the run hungries to stop.

2014-03-25 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
New York

Yeah, this is totally normal. When I've complained to people about it, they say it sounds fun, but honestly, it's sort of annoying! 

Good strategies to combat hunger -- more protein in your diet and make sure you have a little fat with every meal, it'll make you feel more satisfied (peanut butter, nuts, avocados, a little extra olive oil in your cooking, that kinda thing). When I was training for Ironman, my everyday food I brought to work started to look ridiculous...LOTS of snacks (healthy ones!). I felt like I was eating constantly. My diet is plant-based now, so my diet includes a lot of lentils, beans, nuts, brown rice, Edamame, tofu, and of course the aforementioned peanut butter and avocados.

Now in some higher volume marathon training, I'm incorporating protein shakes into my diet. I'm not a huge fan of non-whole foods, but it's honestly significantly improved how I feel, energy and hunger-wise. I'm much more alert and "with it" and feel MUCH better if I have a shake after a hard run. 

Good luck!

2014-03-25 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4971097

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Have you actually done a calorie assessment? On a big workout day I can easily (and I'm not training for an IM here!) burn 5-6000 calories total. When that happens I usually don't eat that much, but it sorta flows into the following day(s). I recommend that you check out how many cals you need to be eating and how many you are actually eating. I think you might surprise yourself.
2014-03-25 8:49 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Peanut butter is your friend! Just keep an eye on the scales to make sure you are in balance. I am just as hungry after a 5K as a half marathon, so I have to remember not to just listen to the appetite.
2014-03-25 11:17 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
X3 on healthy fat. Your diet sounds very healthy but maybe a bit too low in fat, esp. if you don't eat much meat. Nuts and nut butter are great sources that also have plenty of protein. Both will help you stay full longer. Plus, if you are an all-day grazer type, assuming you're not gaining weight with your current intake, you may actually be taking in fewer calories than you think. It may seem you're "always eating", but maybe not very much at any one time or very calorie dense foods. and it doesn't really add up. Most people have the opposite problem with snacking, but I could see how this could happen. I know it's an issue with my diet sometimes--local food, which would describe most of my lunches and dinners, consists of rice noodles, rice, raw herbs, watery fruits and veggies, very lean beef, fish, tofu products. It's all quite healthy (except the noodles and rice, which are overly refined, but few whole grain alternatives here), cheap and filling, but it doesn't last long or add up to much. I'd be eating non-stop to support my 12-14 hours/week of training, fast metabolism, and active job, if I didn't work in a lot of coconut and nuts and some Western treats like the whole grain German bread I go downtown to buy each week.

2014-03-26 8:00 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
This is definitely normal. Just be careful of what you eat: just because you can eat an entire pizza, doesn't mean that you should. Steer yourself toward healthy fats, protein-rich food, good carbs; eat a lot less foods that are just empty foods that don't fill you up. I also try to keep in mind that I'm generally hungry, which means that even if I eat a lot, I'll be hungry a little while after. This means that I try not to eat until I'm totally full because I know I'll still want to eat later. That doesn't always work, but it's what I try to do...
2014-03-26 8:03 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I am experiencing the same thing right now during my IM training. I am always hungry and eat all the time. Indulge every once in a while but keep it clean and enjoy it
2014-03-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

I call it feeding the Beast...people at work laugh at me when I say its time to feed the Beast...but hey whatever works

maybe sit down and look at what exactly you are eating in a day - with all your snacking - you may need to up your food intake...

I know on a lite workout day, I aim for 1900 calories, and on days I do bricks its up to 2900 based on my basic metabolism rate...and for me, its hard to hit that 2900
2014-03-26 8:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
As everyone has already said pretty much perfectly Normal, Just keep a eye on your weight trend week to week, don't worry about going up a few pounds here and there you will probably bounce around 2 to 3 lbs on a daily basis on water alone at least I do, but just look at the overall trend week to week , if you seem to be gaining weight over a couple of weeks then cut back what your eating, if you are loosing a lot over a couple then eat some more. If you want to loose a bit to reach a race weight then a nice steadly decreasing trend of 1/4 to 1/2 pound a week is great.

Eating Is one of the reasons I train , I pretty much graze from the time I get up till I go to bed about every2 to 3 hours. People look at my lunch box and just shake there Heads wondering where it all goes and how come I am not a elephant.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-03-26 8:38 AM
2014-03-26 8:53 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Expert
One thing I found was my first year of IM training (my volume jumped quite a bit) I COULD.NOT.STAY.FULL! Like for a year! BUT....I wasn't fueling myself properly DURING workouts.

Now that I know (basically from my garmin) what I burn during workouts, and track what I take in, I am not nearly as Hangry. Now, in high volume IM training I can put down some food, but if I've taken in enough on a 3-4 hour bike, then run an hour and fuel every mile I am not NEARLY as depleted as I used to be. I can still eat fork for fork with my hubby who weighs 100lbs more than me tho.

Like everyone above said, I add more carbs and fat...but the good ones. Sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, avocados, pb.

Right now I'm like you...8-10 hours a week with higher intensity stuff. I try to make sure I'm fueled for the workout (yes even an hour) and take recovery foods/drinks afterwards. Then I usually don't need to add much to my diet to feel fed! and satisfied.

Good luck!

2014-03-26 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I'm there with you! I stepped up my training to 11-12 hours a week while starting to ramp up for IM Boulder. I graze all day long including half a PPJ before going to bed.
2014-03-26 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Training more = more calories burned = need to put more fuel in the tank, so yes, it's fairly normal.

The things you want to watch are quality (don't fill the calorie gap with Hershey bars and potato chips!) and quantity.  Monitoring your weight and energy levels can give a good indication of whether the quantity is insufficient, adequate, or too much.

2014-03-27 11:39 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Very well, Sounds like this is all to be expected. Like many have said I'll try and implement more quality fats and protein, I probably am lacking in the meat department a little bit.

And no, I haven't done a "calorie assessment." I tend to just eat anything fruits/veggies/meats/Etc and avoid the obviously "bad" foods. I spent so much time worrying about weight years ago it stresses me out now even thinking about calories. This way, I'm hungry and just guzzle down some carrots or an apple, hard to feel bad about that binge. But a calorie count to insure I'm getting ENOUGH is probably worth while.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CANT STOP EATING! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Some days I just eat eat eat

Started by chandy14ski
Views: 1947 Posts: 20

2010-07-30 2:36 AM ehughes

Do you stop at stop signs? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by jashac
Views: 4792 Posts: 63

2009-07-01 10:16 PM tribullbutter

Grrrr I cant get going!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by satchmo72
Views: 943 Posts: 21

2005-08-11 12:51 PM Mottyl

why cant i unsubscribe in mass

Started by gypsykorea
Views: 586 Posts: 3

2005-02-02 1:31 PM gypsykorea

Feel like you cant breath in cold water

Started by reid
Views: 3495 Posts: 9

2004-11-06 12:23 AM reid
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What should you do when your food rules start taking over your life?

date : October 6, 2010
comments : 0
The same athletes who worry about event-day fueling often neglect their day to day training diet. The question this article answers is, “What should I eat before, during and after I train?”
date : June 25, 2010
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : April 1, 2008
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.