General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Home or Gym Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-26 9:19 PM

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Subject: Home or Gym
Hey Everyone

I am currently training at home, using my Bike on the Turbo Trainer as a warm up, and I have Dumbbells and am debating whether to buy some equipment for home or buy a gym membership?

I just wanted to get other Triathletes perspective on whether they believe strength training is better done at Home or Gym? Where do you find you achieve better results? What equipment do you mainly need and use?

2014-03-27 8:49 AM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Home or Gym
I'd say if you can get it done at home - go for it.

Personally, I never seem to muster up enough motivation to do any kind of strength training at home. So, I opt for a gym membership. It's a small gym and daily workouts are posted. The same people come at the same time and do the same (posted) workout. This helps immensely with accountability, motivation, and purpose.

For equipment, a lot can get done with dumbbells, kettle-bells, pull up bar, suspension system (like TRX), and some furniture sliders.
2014-03-27 11:07 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Ledyard, CT
Originally posted by RockTractor

Personally, I never seem to muster up enough motivation to do any kind of strength training at home. So, I opt for a gym membership. It's a small gym and daily workouts are posted. The same people come at the same time and do the same (posted) workout. This helps immensely with accountability, motivation, and purpose.

For equipment, a lot can get done with dumbbells, kettle-bells, pull up bar, suspension system (like TRX), and some furniture sliders.

I followed you on most of the equipment that you listed above except furniture sliders. What would you use them for?
2014-03-28 10:57 AM
in reply to: MikeyP4

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by MikeyP4

I followed you on most of the equipment that you listed above except furniture sliders. What would you use them for?

The coach at our gym has all kinds of ways to hurt us with those...
- Leg Curls
- Forward / Reverse / Lateral lunges (sliding instead of stepping)
- Mountain Climbers
- Mountain Hoppers (like climbers, but both legs stay together)
- Body Saws (rocking forward and backwards in plank position with feet on sliders)
- 1 Armed Push-Up Progression (push up with hands on sliders. One arm normal, the other slides forward or to the side for stability and assistance)
- I'm not sure what you call it - but, he also has us "walk" (with our arm) around the gym forward and backwards, in push up position with our feet on the sliders.
2014-03-28 2:43 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Ledyard, CT

Originally posted by MikeyP4

The coach at our gym has all kinds of ways to hurt us with those...
- Leg Curls
- Forward / Reverse / Lateral lunges (sliding instead of stepping)
- Mountain Climbers
- Mountain Hoppers (like climbers, but both legs stay together)
- Body Saws (rocking forward and backwards in plank position with feet on sliders)
- 1 Armed Push-Up Progression (push up with hands on sliders. One arm normal, the other slides forward or to the side for stability and assistance)
- I'm not sure what you call it - but, he also has us "walk" (with our arm) around the gym forward and backwards, in push up position with our feet on the sliders.

Well, those sound 'fun'!! Thanks for the info. ....I think I have some furniture sliders lying around somewhere...
2014-03-29 8:26 AM

User image

Bronze member

I bought 4 sessions with the personal trainer at our Y and she has created a workout that I can do at home with the equipment I have. It's been great so far!  She has come up with more ways to torture me with planks than I even care to know about .

2014-03-29 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia
Totalgym is all i use,, easy at home,,,,the best piece of equipment i ever bought
2014-04-02 5:54 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

For a triathlete?  I'd suggest a membership at a gym with a pool.  Seriously.  I'm not being snarky.

2014-04-06 7:14 AM
in reply to: MichaelAnsara

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I use the best of both worlds... I have an old bowflex at home, but also have a Y membership for the pool. I will use the equipment at the Y once a week for different exercises, and slightly different form on the exercises I do at home.
2014-04-07 8:35 PM

I started out at home, with weights, and then needed more. I enjoy being around people who are lifting, too. It helps my mood, and to stay motivated, but everyone's different. I like being able to have access to all kinds of equipment, squat rack, bench, and plenty of weights for deadlifting, and any other types of exercises I wish to do. Definitely was limited when I started out at home a few years back with lifting. Hope you find the right thing for you!
2014-04-09 7:07 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Prefer the gym. I guess it depends on what kind of strength training you do, but I got tired of buying different weights as I got stronger! I like the choice of equipment--not just weights but machines, mats, kettlebells, yoga balls.....It would probably cost me more to buy half of that stuff here than just join the gym. I don't use the personal training services, but the staff will let me know if I'm doing an exercise incorrectly and are happy to answer questions. I also get ideas from watching the trainers work with their clients.

I also use my membership for the bikes--they have a kind of stationary set up like a road bike in aero that has a power meter. I did the power tests on it and do some of my bike speedwork on those. I find it's easier for me to get a quality workout for longer intervals than on my trainer at home. There's also a pool that I use as a backup if the school facility is unavailable due to maintenance, vacation, etc. and treadmills that I'll use once in a blue moon if I can't get in a run any other way. A gym membership, while not essential, is great if you need to work out when it would be unsafe or inconvenient to do it outside, or if you're doing a complicated workout where it's useful to have all the facilities in one place.

It's also helpful for motivation. I do almost 100% of my training solo, and can't stand group classes, but esp. for biking and lifting, I find I'm more motivated if I'm around other people working hard than sweating alone in my living room. It doesn't hurt that quite a few members are colleagues, parents of students, neighbors, etc. and a lot of the trainers know me--there's always someone with an encouraging word when I'm about to expire on the bike!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Home or Gym Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bowflex v home gym

Started by CBarnes
Views: 2549 Posts: 4

2012-08-25 7:36 AM Dan Estrada

Best pullup device for home gym?

Started by bootygirl
Views: 2535 Posts: 5

2009-12-09 10:15 PM chasing3

Home Gym Experience

Started by csharp1171
Views: 2832 Posts: 12

2008-11-25 12:32 PM fifthcircle

Post pics of your home gym!

Started by kimj81
Views: 1917 Posts: 9

2007-12-16 8:30 PM Shermbelle

Home Gyms Pages: 1 2

Started by tupuppy
Views: 3915 Posts: 31

2007-12-16 1:25 PM Brett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
comments : 0
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.