Other Resources The Political Joe » Hobby Lobby claiming religious freedom and the ACA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-07-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: Hobby Lobby claiming religious freedom and the ACA

Originally posted by Its Only Money The SCOTUS used the "Least restrictive means" clause as their arguement. I wonder if the contraceptive medicines were not made to be free would the outcome have been different? I didn't read the whole opinion so I don't know if they gave further explanation on this issue. I would be interested to see how this section of the law could be rewritten to comply. If they allowed for a specific number of contraceptive medicines to be included but not all, would that pass the muster? Are Conestoga and AutoCam opposed to all contraception? What other types of drugs were mandated to be free? Personally I think my beta-blocker is a little bit more important than contraception, but I am not getting that for free.

No, in fact they are happy to offer 16 of the 20 approved contraception.  They only oppose the 4 that cause a fertilized egg to no longer be a fertilized egg (abort if that's the term you'd like to use).

The Plan B pill is about $35-60 without insurance.  So in reality people are getting their panties in a bunch about a $50 outlay that a vast majority of women will probably never make in their life. But if you listen to Sandra Fluke and the like, Hobby Lobby is breaking into your bedroom and stealing your birth control pill right out of your mouth!

What's interesting is that the ACA does not cover condoms or vasectomies.  The only 2 forms of birth control for a man.  So if essence the ACA discriminates against men more so than women in this case. 

I'm filing a lawsuit!!!!

Edited by TriRSquared 2014-07-01 10:26 AM

2014-07-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by TriRSquared

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Is it required anywhere for companies to explicity state those things that they will or will not cover based on their religious beliefs? Personally, while I'm disappointed in the SCOTUS ruling, I suppose it's something that the labor market will sort out on its own. Private companies aren't required to offer paid holidays or vacation or personal days or lots of other things that most workers take for granted. The reason most companies offer paid holidays and paid vacation is that almost no one would work for a company that didn't. If and when Hobby Lobby or any other company finds that they're at a marked competitive disadvantage when it comes to hiring and retaining employees as a result of this policy, they'll have to make a decision as to whether it's in the best interest of the business to continue to structure their plans this way.

We don't agree often but in this case we're on the same page.  Let the free market decide.  It would be totally different if they provided a "Plan B" type drug for men (wrap your head around that one) and NOT to women.  But I do not see why a privately held company should be forced to provide something that goes against their fundamental beliefs.

I think the concern, and it's a legitimate one, is that companies might conveniently decide to adjust their fundamental beliefs or to suddenly grow a set of fundamental beliefs if it suits their bottom line. Where I think the ruling is a little short-sighted is that, politics aside, contraceptives are used for treating a number of other conditions that aren't related to preventing pregancy. Not to mince words, but Hobby Lobby's objection is to contraception, not to drugs that prevent pregnancy. If an employee of theirs doesn't intend to get pregnant but needs the drug for a different medical reason, it would be a shame that she would be unable to get it. I'm not sure whether the exemption excludes patients who require contraceptive medications for reasons other than contraception.

Just to be clear, Hobby Lobby does cover 16 of the 20 major contraceptives on the market and has no issues at all with them.  They just chose to not cover morning after type contraceptives, so I don't think your description of them objecting to "contraception" is accurate.

Why do they object to the IUD?

2014-07-01 11:10 AM
in reply to: Fmode11

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by Fmode11

Let's just remove the 4th largest entitlement in this country that is not funded what-so-ever and start over. Passing legislation that more than half the country is not in agreement with is not good policy. While there are portions of the ACA that are good for the country, the majority of the law creates so many burdens for individuals and companies that in the end all it is doing is INCREASING price and DECREASING services.

This is a good idea in theory but it would never work. Even if both sides agreed to scrap this law, they would never agree on anything. Then even if they did agree on something, they'd hand it over to the special interest groups and massacre it down to something equally as terrible as the current law.
2014-07-01 11:15 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by JoshR

Let's just remove the 4th largest entitlement in this country that is not funded what-so-ever and start over. Passing legislation that more than half the country is not in agreement with is not good policy. While there are portions of the ACA that are good for the country, the majority of the law creates so many burdens for individuals and companies that in the end all it is doing is INCREASING price and DECREASING services.

This is a good idea in theory but it would never work. Even if both sides agreed to scrap this law, they would never agree on anything. Then even if they did agree on something, they'd hand it over to the special interest groups and massacre it down to something equally as terrible as the current law.

Well thanks to Harry Ried and his unconstitutional change of filibuster rules, a 51 person vote is only required in the Senate if the Republicans can win enough seats in November. The problem would be getting POTUS to sign it, which he would never do. Maybe Congress could circumvent POTUS, like he does to them?

Once this administration is removed from power the country can begin to move in ONE direction TOGETHER. I think you'll see real "change" once that happens.
2014-07-01 11:22 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by Its Only Money The SCOTUS used the "Least restrictive means" clause as their arguement. I wonder if the contraceptive medicines were not made to be free would the outcome have been different? I didn't read the whole opinion so I don't know if they gave further explanation on this issue. I would be interested to see how this section of the law could be rewritten to comply. If they allowed for a specific number of contraceptive medicines to be included but not all, would that pass the muster? Are Conestoga and AutoCam opposed to all contraception? What other types of drugs were mandated to be free? Personally I think my beta-blocker is a little bit more important than contraception, but I am not getting that for free.

No, in fact they are happy to offer 16 of the 20 approved contraception.  They only oppose the 4 that cause a fertilized egg to no longer be a fertilized egg (abort if that's the term you'd like to use).

The Plan B pill is about $35-60 without insurance.  So in reality people are getting their panties in a bunch about a $50 outlay that a vast majority of women will probably never make in their life. But if you listen to Sandra Fluke and the like, Hobby Lobby is breaking into your bedroom and stealing your birth control pill right out of your mouth!

What's interesting is that the ACA does not cover condoms or vasectomies.  The only 2 forms of birth control for a man.  So if essence the ACA discriminates against men more so than women in this case. 

I'm filing a lawsuit!!!!

Don't forget abstinence.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2014-07-01 11:25 AM
2014-07-01 11:24 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Well thanks to Harry Ried and his unconstitutional change of filibuster rules, a 51 person vote is only required in the Senate if the Republicans can win enough seats in November. The problem would be getting POTUS to sign it, which he would never do. Maybe Congress could circumvent POTUS, like he does to them?

Once this administration is removed from power the country can begin to move in ONE direction TOGETHER. I think you'll see real "change" once that happens.

Yeah. That'll happen.

2014-07-01 12:01 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Is it required anywhere for companies to explicity state those things that they will or will not cover based on their religious beliefs? Personally, while I'm disappointed in the SCOTUS ruling, I suppose it's something that the labor market will sort out on its own. Private companies aren't required to offer paid holidays or vacation or personal days or lots of other things that most workers take for granted. The reason most companies offer paid holidays and paid vacation is that almost no one would work for a company that didn't. If and when Hobby Lobby or any other company finds that they're at a marked competitive disadvantage when it comes to hiring and retaining employees as a result of this policy, they'll have to make a decision as to whether it's in the best interest of the business to continue to structure their plans this way.

We don't agree often but in this case we're on the same page.  Let the free market decide.  It would be totally different if they provided a "Plan B" type drug for men (wrap your head around that one) and NOT to women.  But I do not see why a privately held company should be forced to provide something that goes against their fundamental beliefs.

I think the concern, and it's a legitimate one, is that companies might conveniently decide to adjust their fundamental beliefs or to suddenly grow a set of fundamental beliefs if it suits their bottom line. Where I think the ruling is a little short-sighted is that, politics aside, contraceptives are used for treating a number of other conditions that aren't related to preventing pregancy. Not to mince words, but Hobby Lobby's objection is to contraception, not to drugs that prevent pregnancy. If an employee of theirs doesn't intend to get pregnant but needs the drug for a different medical reason, it would be a shame that she would be unable to get it. I'm not sure whether the exemption excludes patients who require contraceptive medications for reasons other than contraception.

Just to be clear, Hobby Lobby does cover 16 of the 20 major contraceptives on the market and has no issues at all with them.  They just chose to not cover morning after type contraceptives, so I don't think your description of them objecting to "contraception" is accurate.

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but generally speaking the debate in the past has been very easy because contraception was all about pre-conception tools such as the pill and condoms, and the abortion debate was scheduling a post conception procedure.  I think it's pretty easy for most people to agree where those lines were drawn in the past.

However, with things like IUD's and the morning after pill there's now a gray area in between the historical sides of the debate.  IUD's do act to prevent conception, but they can also prevent a fertilized (or conceived) egg from attaching.  So, if somebody believes that life begins at the moment of conception then it's perfectly rational to not be in favor of IUD's.

We all have varying positions on where life begins.

Some feel life begins with the act that leads to a child occurs.  (pizza)
Many feel that life begins at the moment of fertilization.
Many feel that life begins in the second trimester.
Many feel that life begins in the third trimester when a baby is viable outside of the womb.
However, legally speaking life doesn't begin until the moment of birth which is the foundation of our current laws.

So, it's not an easy issue to legislate because in America everyone has the right to believe whatever they want on the issue and the law is what it is.  Where the problem comes in is when people (on both sides) try to dictate to others through legislation their feeling of when it begins.

It's perfectly rational for somebody who doesn't believe life begins until the third trimester or even birth to have zero issues with IUD's and morning after pills.  It's also perfectly rational for somebody who believes life begins at conception to be opposed to IUD's.  So, it's really not right for the Federal government to dictate birth control options that can conflict with a person's views IMHO.

I'm sure you agree that individuals can absolutely believe whatever they want on this issue, but this whole debate really came down to what extent those individual rights extended to a privately held company.

2014-07-01 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Would the employer even know if any of there employees would even get an IUD? If no its kinda like Chick fil a. Unless people tell you that .01% of what you spend there goes to anti same sex marriage how would you know?

2014-07-01 1:25 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

This country has been heading towards this type of stalemate for the last 2 decades. Everyone was saying how we could just move forward with Bush out of office and yet here we are more divisive than ever. It won't change. There's too much money invested in the system to expect it to change. It would take a major revolution (i.e. people overthrow the government by force) for this system to change.
2014-07-01 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

However, with things like IUD's and the morning after pill there's now a gray area in between the historical sides of the debate.  IUD's do act to prevent conception, but they can also prevent a fertilized (or conceived) egg from attaching.  So, if somebody believes that life begins at the moment of conception then it's perfectly rational to not be in favor of IUD's.

I don't particularly understand the argument that this isn't such a big deal since it only deals with four forms of contraception. People are arguing that Hobby Lobby only takes issue with 4 of the 20 forms of birth control, because those four might cause abortions due to failure of a fertilized egg to implant. If you are going to extend this argument to the IUD, you might as well extend it to conventional birth control pills. The pill works by preventing ovulation, but also causes a thinning of the uterine lining, which could theoretically prevent a fertilized egg from attaching - so why does Hobby Lobby have a problem with the IUD or morning after pill, but think a conventional pill is ok then? The scientific basis for rejecting these 4 as opposed to the other 16 is just not there. This Supreme Court ruling opens the door for a corporation to decide to refuse coverage of all forms of contraception on similar grounds, due to "sincerely held religious beliefs." Yes, this case is only dealing with four forms of contraception, but the ruling sets a dangerous precedent.

2014-07-01 3:37 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Originally posted by chirunner134 Would the employer even know if any of there employees would even get an IUD? If no its kinda like Chick fil a. Unless people tell you that .01% of what you spend there goes to anti same sex marriage how would you know?

This is the entire point.  You employer doesn't care if you get an IUD or take the morning after pill.  They are just not going to pay for it.

People like Sandra Fluke keep espousing falsehood with comments like:

"Help us reach 50,000 strong denouncing the Supreme Court’s decision and declaring that a woman’s boss should NOT have a say in her health care decisions."

Your employer does NOT have a say in your HC decisions.  They have a say in what they will PAY for regarding your health care.

That's like saying "My employer won't pay me enough for buy a Ferrari.  I'm being opposed and my employers is interfering with my car buying decisions!!!"

2014-07-01 4:17 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Stacers

I don't particularly understand the argument that this isn't such a big deal since it only deals with four forms of contraception. People are arguing that Hobby Lobby only takes issue with 4 of the 20 forms of birth control, because those four might cause abortions due to failure of a fertilized egg to implant. If you are going to extend this argument to the IUD, you might as well extend it to conventional birth control pills. The pill works by preventing ovulation, but also causes a thinning of the uterine lining, which could theoretically prevent a fertilized egg from attaching - so why does Hobby Lobby have a problem with the IUD or morning after pill, but think a conventional pill is ok then? The scientific basis for rejecting these 4 as opposed to the other 16 is just not there. This Supreme Court ruling opens the door for a corporation to decide to refuse coverage of all forms of contraception on similar grounds, due to "sincerely held religious beliefs." Yes, this case is only dealing with four forms of contraception, but the ruling sets a dangerous precedent.

I get what you're saying and honestly after researching these things myself I feel they're a lot closer to "the pill" than they are to the other side because the morning after pill is really just a "super dose" of the pill to prevent ovulation primarily and as you mentioned the lining part which prevents attachment (which the pill does).

The whole part of this that I don't like on this is the idea of the government mandating what private employers should cover for their employees in the first place and it has nothing to do with contraceptives.  

2014-07-01 4:28 PM
in reply to: TriRSquared

User image

Elite
Boise

Originally posted by chirunner134 Would the employer even know if any of there employees would even get an IUD? If no its kinda like Chick fil a. Unless people tell you that .01% of what you spend there goes to anti same sex marriage how would you know?

This is the entire point.  You employer doesn't care if you get an IUD or take the morning after pill.  They are just not going to pay for it.

People like Sandra Fluke keep espousing falsehood with comments like:

"Help us reach 50,000 strong denouncing the Supreme Court’s decision and declaring that a woman’s boss should NOT have a say in her health care decisions."

Your employer does NOT have a say in your HC decisions.  They have a say in what they will PAY for regarding your health care.

That's like saying "My employer won't pay me enough for buy a Ferrari.  I'm being opposed and my employers is interfering with my car buying decisions!!!"

If my memory serves me correctly, they are in fact PAYING for it anyway, but they just aren't providing it on their coverage i.e. their is no difference in the cost of their plan vs my giant corporate plan that will cover birth control, it's just not on the list of approved medications.
2014-07-01 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

The whole part of this that I don't like on this is the idea of the government mandating what private employers should cover for their employees in the first place and it has nothing to do with contraceptives.  

Agree completely with that - which is why I wish healthcare was handled completely outside of the workforce. I don't think employers should have anything to do with it, and the ACA completely fails to address this. That could be a whole other thread though, right?

2014-07-02 6:06 AM

User image

i found this article in time while i was doing some reading which talks about IUD's and how they could conceivably be used as emergency contraception if inserted within 5 days - http://time.com/#2800011/whats-hobby-lobbys-problem-with-iuds/

I don't necessarily agree and know how much of a pain in the it was to get mine scheduled - had to wait for appt, then period to make sure I wasn't preggo etc - but best decision I ever made - that being said, my first one I did have to pay a co-pay for because it wasn't a norm in the military (I couldn't take any of the pills or alternate BC's that they use)

I guess I don't understand why BC which is a mediciation doesn't require any co-pay's etc, but others do? would that be more paletable to people? IDK
2014-07-02 6:23 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Elite

I already said my opinion on personhood for corporations. But this ruling does not exactly bother me. The ACA is riddled with holes. Hobby Lobby had a solid case of what they provided and the reasons for the ones they don't. It was going to be very hard for the government to win the case. I do not think this opens a flood gate for tight held corporations to do what ever they want. This was a pretty solid case for Hobby Lobby. Good for them for fighting. I have not lost any sleep.

2014-07-02 6:26 AM

User image

Elite

Agree completely with that - which is why I wish healthcare was handled completely outside of the workforce. I don't think employers should have anything to do with it, and the ACA completely fails to address this. That could be a whole other thread though, right?

You don't need 10,000 pages of laws to fix health care. Only one. Divorce healthcare from employment. Solved. If need be, government can cover uninsured with taxes.... or the market covers them with premiums... which is what we already do.

2014-07-02 6:35 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Originally posted by powerman

You don't need 10,000 pages of laws to fix health care. Only one. Divorce healthcare from employment. Solved. If need be, government can cover uninsured with taxes.... or the market covers them with premiums... which is what we already do.

then I want a raise to cover what my employer pays for me in Healthcare as well as what is taken out of my paycheck (its about a 60/40 split) - because its unaffordable as it is - that is an issue - but until there is healthcare regulation, which there never will be - prices will continue to rise
2014-07-02 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by austhokie

then I want a raise to cover what my employer pays for me in Healthcare as well as what is taken out of my paycheck (its about a 60/40 split) - because its unaffordable as it is - that is an issue - but until there is healthcare regulation, which there never will be - prices will continue to rise

I respectfully disagree with the bolded.  One of the major contributors to healthcare costs being so high is employer paid healthcare and things like copays.  Healthcare is no different than anything else in the market and supply and demand is in full control.  Hospitals and doctors charge huge amounts for their services because that's the only thing they can do to slow down demand.  Unfortunately, the demand doesn't get slowed down because the people using the services are not paying for them.  If your employer is paying 2/3 of your insurance and you only have a $50 copay for any doctor visit your demand is near infinite.  Even the 1/3 you pay on your healthcare premium is just another "tax" line on your paycheck that you never feel.

Throw in the tens of millions of people on free insurance through various government subsidies and their demand is infinite.

So, essentially the whole idea of the ACA is trying to treat the symptom (healthcare is expensive) by giving everyone cheaper or free insurance.  /facepalm
They're actually throwing gas on the fire and making the demand much greater which will absolutely drive healthcare prices through the roof.

So, trying to have the government regulate health care costs is not the solution.  We need to divorce insurance from employers and make everyone write that check every month like we do for car insurance.  Allow individuals to get insurance across state lines.  Stop with the copay crap so people buy insurance with a deductible just like with a car.  You pay everything out of pocket up to your deductible and they cover the rest (80/20 or whatever).
For those that can't afford insurance or are unemployed I feel we'd be much better served with need based care clinics that are government owned/operated facilities (single payer) and let those who have insurance or can afford it use private care.  Kind of a hybrid approach.

2014-07-02 8:29 AM

User image

Healthcare was pretty affordable in the 70's, individual health care plans were affordable and abundant as well. 

When did the Federal Government begin "helping" things in the health care field with their regulations and laws? Forcing ER's to treat anyone who came through the door?

2014-07-02 8:35 AM

User image

Pro

Has anyone here paid any attention to what a modern U.S. hospital looks like?  I can't firgure out when the rooms started needing marble bathroom counters and cherry wood cabinets, or when hospital lobbies started to need to look like those of a 5 star hotel.....or when pharma companies needed to start paying huge advertising fees so that their medicnes could be advertised to the general public (isn't that what doctors are for?) . I could go on and on about the absurdity of it all and I can't imagne a more screwed up scenario for something so basic. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-02 8:36 AM

2014-07-02 8:40 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by crusevegas

Healthcare was pretty affordable in the 70's, individual health care plans were affordable and abundant as well. 

When did the Federal Government begin "helping" things in the health care field with their regulations and laws? Forcing ER's to treat anyone who came through the door?

good point. lets search their wallets for insurance cards while they bleed out!

2014-07-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by Left Brain

Has anyone here paid any attention to what a modern U.S. hospital looks like?  I can't firgure out when the rooms started needing marble bathroom counters and cherry wood cabinets, or when hospital lobbies started to need to look like those of a 5 star hotel.....or when pharma companies needed to start paying huge advertising fees so that their medicnes could be advertised to the general public (isn't that what doctors are for?) . I could go on and on about the absurdity of it all and I can't imagne a more screwed up scenario for something so basic. 

Not just that, but have you seen the number of hospitals/medical office buildings/urgent care clinics/etc. going up? Here in Idaho I feel like we have 1 hospital for every 10 people.
2014-07-02 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hospital building trend is hard to pinpoint I'd day. Probably a combination of many factors including general upscale building materials used more and more and the desire to compete for the higher profit cardiac and other care in new clinics and specialty hospitals versus general public care, such emergency medicine and general family medicine.

Direct-to-consumer advertising by big Pharma really jumped starting in 1997 when the FDA changed its rules so advertisers did not have to list the entire summary of the drug - that huge detailed page you see in print ads - but only had to mention the "adequate risk" items.
2014-07-02 10:01 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Yeah, it's crazy how much money they're making.

I don't really blame the hospitals because they're not the ones who have broken the system.  Sure, they're the ones charging huge amounts, but the reason they're charging the huge amounts is because the insurance companies are paying the huge amounts, and companies are paying them huge amounts, and the consumers that have the insurance and use the services could care a less how much it costs.

If I could charge my customers $100k per phone system install I'd do it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately for me there's a lot of competition and my customers are paying for it out of their own pockets, so they beat me up on price or go somewhere else if it's cheaper.  So, I have to charge a competitive price that's market driven or I won't sell anything.
If my customers all had to just pay $50 for a phone system then they'd all want new phone systems every year and I could jack my prices through the roof and install that imported marble toilet I've always wanted.  

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Hobby Lobby claiming religious freedom and the ACA Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

ACA Calculator Pages: 1 2

Started by dmiller5
Views: 3142 Posts: 27

2013-12-05 5:28 PM Stuartap

The ACA has revealed ignorance about...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 2382 Posts: 23

2013-10-09 9:17 AM Jackemy1

The ACA started with "Conservatives"?

Started by pga_mike