General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cardio Before or After Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-28 6:22 AM

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Subject: Cardio Before or After
I currently do my cardio before I complete my strength training program, as I like this best, enabling me to put my best effort into my cardio workout, as this is a more important component to me, compared to the strength training.

However I have read a lot of information saying that it should be done the other way around.
Does it really matter which way you do this?
Is the information more relevant to Body Builders than Triathletes?

What do you Think? Any How to you train?

2014-03-28 8:31 AM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Cardio Before or After

Generally the only hard and fast rule I have is swimming comes before lifting.  Mostly because it's so much form vs. endurance capacity that I'd rather not screw with my muscle memory by swimming with potentially compromised form.  After that do what works best for you.  In a perfect world the two would be different sessions (morning/evening) for the benefit of focus and recovery.

2014-03-30 10:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ok,
A subject I know a little about - very little.

1 - if you are trying to burn fat, lift / weights before cardio. otherwise it doesn't matter.
the first approx. half hour you exercise you burn off the glycogen in your system and then start to work on your fat stores.
If your goal is to lose fat, - weight lift to burn up that glycogen, then move onto cardio to ignite that fat. building muscle also burns more resting calories.

2 - what are your goals - fitness or muscles.
If your goals are muscles - lift first
If your goal is fitness/endurance do your cardo/running/biking first.
The reason being there is a % of workouts that will not complete properly on the 2nd half of the workout.
(give up, too tired, form breakdown, don't complete sets, quit/kick a set, shorten your session at the end etc.)
That second half of the workout will get a % of workouts compromised in some form or fashion at some point.

If your main goal is to lose fat or gain muscle lift first, otherwise, cardio first.

bodybuilding.com can be your reference for some of this info.

Edited by Clarkey77 2014-03-30 10:09 PM
2014-04-01 8:25 PM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Oggi

I currently do my cardio before I complete my strength training program, as I like this best, enabling me to put my best effort into my cardio workout, as this is a more important component to me, compared to the strength training.

However I have read a lot of information saying that it should be done the other way around.
Does it really matter which way you do this?
Is the information more relevant to Body Builders than Triathletes?

What do you Think? Any How to you train?

You hit the nail on the head. All the muscle heads and gym rats will suggest weights THEN cardio, because to them the strength is more important. To you the cardio is the emphasis so I'd do it first.

You'll get answers spilt 50/50 among strength focused athletes and cardio junkies. I used to lift first, now that I'm focused on tri I lift after my runs etc.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cardio Before or After Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Do triathletes need to do "cardio strength" training.

Started by joker70
Views: 1714 Posts: 5

2011-01-08 7:21 AM syscrash

Rowing Machine Strength or Cardio? Pages: 1 2

Started by b2673ad
Views: 14619 Posts: 29

2010-11-09 1:50 PM stuarbc

Cardio Strength Training

Started by bad91
Views: 1300 Posts: 2

2009-12-24 12:34 AM MikeTheBear

Cardio with strength/weight training

Started by andyman
Views: 2377 Posts: 13

2009-10-15 7:41 AM brukewilliams

Hard Cardio After Lifting

Started by JustinP
Views: 5274 Posts: 13

2009-08-09 12:01 PM mattylukes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
comments : 0
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.