General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Those Who Have Fallen Off The Trainer and Those Who Haven't Yet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-28 10:16 AM

Subject: Those Who Have Fallen Off The Trainer and Those Who Haven't Yet
Finally worked up the mental fortitude to ride indoors for two hours.
HOLY BORING.

In the last ten minutes I stood up to stretch and my makeshift wheel riser (tiles/stack of books) shifted.
BAM!

Whole set up tipped over and down I go.

Anyone else ever?

(edited for grammar and such)

Edited by skibummer 2014-03-28 10:17 AM

2014-03-28 11:08 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

New user

Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: Those Who Have Fallen Off The Trainer and Those Who Haven't Yet
I too have experienced the "trainer crash". Was riding last winter and the bike started to feel a bit wobbly. I've now learned to always make sure everything is properly seated and tightened before every ride, as the coffee table didn't like me falling on it too much.

And I don't want to admit that I've (almost) experienced it twice, but there was this winter's mishap - I was getting pretty into the mountain bike video I was watching on youtube, and when the rider leaned into the corner I did too. The bike/trainer rocked over on its side but I did manage to get a foot down and hold everything up, so no actual crash. Those GoPro POV videos can be dangerous!
2014-03-28 11:24 AM
in reply to: Dirt Hucker

User image

Ledyard, CT
Originally posted by Dirt Hucker

I too have experienced the "trainer crash". Was riding last winter and the bike started to feel a bit wobbly. I've now learned to always make sure everything is properly seated and tightened before every ride, as the coffee table didn't like me falling on it too much.

And I don't want to admit that I've (almost) experienced it twice, but there was this winter's mishap - I was getting pretty into the mountain bike video I was watching on youtube, and when the rider leaned into the corner I did too. The bike/trainer rocked over on its side but I did manage to get a foot down and hold everything up, so no actual crash. Those GoPro POV videos can be dangerous!

Thanks for this! In hindsight, I shouldn't have taken a big sip of water before reading your post! Now I have to find some paper towels.

BTW - It's only funny because it's nearly happened to me (at least) once.
2014-03-28 11:30 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by skibummer

HOLY BORING.

In the last ten minutes I stood up to stretch and my makeshift wheel riser (tiles/stack of books) shifted.
BAM!

Anyone else ever?

Similar experience. Didn't have my back wheel tightened in properly. One minute I'm riding, next I'm laying on my side on the couch (next to the trainer) with my bike on top of me. I didn't even come unclipped. Thank goodness there were no witnesses!
2014-03-28 11:40 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by tedjohn

Similar experience. Didn't have my back wheel tightened in properly. One minute I'm riding, next I'm laying on my side on the couch (next to the trainer) with my bike on top of me. I didn't even come unclipped. Thank goodness there were no witnesses!

Sounds kinda like mine. I just got the trainer and they said do not tighten too tight. Well I had it kinda loose and yep I slipped out and fell. I am back I slammed into my desk so I did not fall too far. I think I would ruined the spokes on my bike for sure if I did.
2014-03-28 11:44 AM

I've tipped over once, no big deal.

Having good video and Trainerroad really helps with the boredom factor. I wouldn't call it an exciting session by any means, and it's still harder to motivate than going outdoors, but with good A/V+TR, you can get some really good quality training without being bored.

2014-03-28 11:48 AM

User image

New user
never happened to me, but did remind me of this classic bit of John Candy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf473QZFWN8
2014-03-28 11:51 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Pro

Tried to ride on the trainer without a trainer skewer - just my regular road one. All was well, until the dog came over to play. One tug on rope and *BAM* me and the bike ended up on the floor. Luckily, not on top of the dog.

2014-03-28 12:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Never off the trainer at least not yet, I would be thinking that this would be pretty difficult thing to have happen but
obviously Not.

Now watch I will probably go home tonight get on the trainer and promptly fall off

Edited by RRH_88 2014-03-28 12:29 PM
2014-03-28 12:16 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Sensei
Sin City

If you were talking rollers, I would understand, but a trainer?

20 years and never even close...

2014-03-28 12:19 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Yes.

That is all.

2014-03-28 1:13 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Kido

If you were talking rollers, I would understand, but a trainer?

20 years and never even close...

I agree, didn't think it was possible!
2014-03-28 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by skibummer

HOLY BORING.

BAM!

Anyone else ever?

This happened to me a few weeks ago. I swore I'd never tell anyone, but here I am posting on a forum about it. I was doing a Sufferfest video and hit a pretty intense interval and came out of my saddle and *bam!*. I must have rocked it a bit too hard as my skewer slipped right out and I tumbled. Put a nice little nick in my new bike too. I felt so stupid. My kids were in the basement and were in shock (as was I).
2014-03-28 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4972744

User image

New user
Sylvania
One legged drill. Left foot rested nicely on the trainer. Right foot rested on the release...d'oh zoom. slam brakes. heart rate through the roof. Not damage except to my pride. Needless to say I am now much more careful during my drills.
2014-03-28 6:51 PM
in reply to: glayher

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Originally posted by glayher

One legged drill. Left foot rested nicely on the trainer. Right foot rested on the release...d'oh zoom. slam brakes. heart rate through the roof. Not damage except to my pride. Needless to say I am now much more careful during my drills.

^ This! Exact same thing. KK Rock and Roll. Doing isolated leg drills. Right foot resting behind me, pedaling along...then, flying across basement and slamming into t.v. stand. Stop, deep breath, look around and make sure no one is watching...walk upstairs and tell the wife I finished my workout.

Shhhh....
2014-03-28 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
No but a friend who used to be a decent ITU guy did... we all laughed and gave him a hard time.

2014-03-28 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
No but a friend who used to be a decent ITU guy did... we all laughed and gave him a hard time.
2014-03-29 12:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
You're kiddin, right? Rollers I can understand, trainer I cannot!
2014-03-29 3:57 PM
in reply to: glayher

User image

Denver, Colorado
I am still trying to figure out how this is possible outside a 1 legged drill. But I guess it's possible *fingers crossed*
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Those Who Have Fallen Off The Trainer and Those Who Haven't Yet Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Having a hard time taking time off training

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1374 Posts: 7

2010-07-03 10:53 AM Karl Hungus

first tri in 2 months, haven't swam yet....

Started by MOD220
Views: 1657 Posts: 15

2010-06-27 8:56 PM laurie2829

How Do You Stop (Still Haven't Raced Yet)

Started by pitbullzz
Views: 1785 Posts: 23

2010-02-15 7:26 PM pitbullzz

Marathon Training - Having to take a week off

Started by bkfitz
Views: 5154 Posts: 12

2007-08-27 8:15 PM bkfitz

Haven't done a triathlon yet?

Started by Ron
Views: 1002 Posts: 2

2005-02-19 11:42 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
Top tips from triathletes on finding your way back to training

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
comments : 0
End of season thoughts and tips
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.