General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex Global Trainer - GPS questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-29 7:19 AM

User image

Ledyard, CT
Subject: Timex Global Trainer - GPS questions
Are there any tricks to getting a GPS signal quicker on my TGT? I usually have problems when I'm away from home. It seems like when once I find a signal at home I have no problems finding a signal on subsequent uses near my home. The problem comes when I try to get a signal further away, like at a race venue. Has anyone experienced this? Any tricks for speeding up the process?

2014-03-31 9:25 AM
in reply to: MikeyP4

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Subject: RE: Timex Global Trainer - GPS questions

I just gave my TGT away, I got so frustrated with the poor performance of the GPS.

I noticed a couple of things:

It does not like to travel, at all.  When I travel to a race/event I would power it up and leave it for 30 minutes somewhere, then power down and repeat, it would then typically find the signal on the second power up.

the trick to the TGT finding a signal within 5 minutes is do not wear it while it's searching.  At home or away I would place the TGT on the ground or window ledge by the house and leave it while I got my trainers on, stretched etc.  when I'd done that, the TGT would have found the signal typically.

Oh and avoid underpasses, or trees with the slightest foliage :-)  when the signal was lost the TGT would take an age to re-acquire.

My solution to all this was the Garmin 310xt.  not sure why I moved away from Garmin, I'd always used the Garmin range and now I'm back.  The 310xt was used recently for over 22 hours of racing and used less than 10% of the units memory as well.

The TGT looks good, has pretty decent functionality and a useable interface with decent-ish software for tracking activities on the web.  but I just could not do the really crappy GPS performance anymore.

On the up side, I contacted Timex, told them about the really bad performance, showed them the unit was upgraded to the latest firmware etc, they asked me to send the unit for repair/replacement as it sounded faulty, did that and got the replacement back within a week or two, customer service was superb, of course the replacement worked exactly the same as the original, but still, awesome customer service :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex Global Trainer - GPS questions Rss Feed