General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid newbie questions about stuff Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-29 11:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: Stupid newbie questions about stuff
A little background info: I am currently training for my first sprint triathlon, or as I call it "try" athlon, as I am not sure this is the sport for me. Just trying new sports until I find something I like (having had to give up ball sports and martial art due to a unstable lnee). So you will understand that I am not willing to spend small fortune on stuff I may only use once.

So what do I need?

1) A bike. Check. Not gonna invest in a racer but I need a new bike and will get one of those hybrid bike that I will use to go to work. That'll do.
2) running shoe. Check
3) a wet suit. That I don't have. My race is in May in Sweden and the swim is in open water in a lake which will be quite cold and a wetsuit is made compulsary by the race organiser according to their website.

So here are my stupid questions:
1) is a try suit like a wetsuit you wear the whole race?
2) Will it protect me from the cold water the same as a wetsuit or worse?
3) If I chose a wetsuit that is not a tri suit, will I have to take it off at t1 and get changed?
4) how do you do 3), get undressed in front of everyone?

Told you they were stupid questions..

I have plenty more where they came from...

Edited for spelling and stuff

Edited by Rollergirl 2014-03-29 11:33 AM

2014-03-29 11:43 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Stupid newbie questions about stuff
Originally posted by Rollergirl

A little background info: I am currently training for my first sprint triathlon, or as I call it "try" athlon, as I am not sure this is the sport for me. Just trying new sports until I find something I like (having had to give up ball sports and martial art due to a unstable lnee). So you will understand that I am not willing to spend small fortune on stuff I may only use once.

So what do I need?

1) A bike. Check. Not gonna invest in a racer but I need a new bike and will get one of those hybrid bike that I will use to go to work. That'll do.
2) running shoe. Check
3) a wet suit. That I don't have. My race is in May in Sweden and the swim is in open water in a lake which will be quite cold and a wetsuit is made compulsary by the race organiser according to their website.

So here are my stupid questions:
1) is a try suit like a wetsuit you wear the whole race?
2) Will it protect me from the cold water the same as a wetsuit or worse?
3) If I chose a wetsuit that is not a tri suit, will I have to take it off at t1 and get changed?
4) how do you do 3), get undressed in front of everyone?

Told you they were stupid questions..

I have plenty more where they came from...

Edited for spelling and stuff

1- you only wear the wetsuit during the swim. then you can either wear what you have on underneath for the bike or change for the bike leg of the race.
2 - only in the water, it will keep you a bit warmer and keep your body in a better position during the swim
3 - other wetsuits may not be made for the movements you'll be making while swimming.
4 - some people have no shame (some really really should though you won't be worrying about them and they won't be worrying about you, just change and go.

no questions are stupid here, we were all beginners at one point and have had the same questions. Good luck.
2014-03-29 12:46 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for your reply

I am not worried about gaining a few seconds by not changing and I certainly have no problems getting undressed in front of people if everybody is doing it, but it seems much easier not having to worry about that. I like the idea of wearing the same thing the whole race but maybe a cheap trisuit would be a bad idea and like I said, I am not prepared to spend too much for the first race, as I already have running clothes and I don't need cycling pants for a 45 to 60 minutes ride.

Ah decisions, decisions...

2014-03-29 2:46 PM

You should also buy goggles.

Maybe that was obvious but since you listed running shoes I am going to assume it isn't since running shoes seem more obvious to me than goggles.
2014-03-29 4:45 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Sidney Porter

You should also buy goggles.

Maybe that was obvious but since you listed running shoes I am going to assume it isn't since running shoes seem more obvious to me than goggles.

Thanks for mentioning them even though it seems obvious to you. I knew about goggles though but there may be something else I am forgetting.
2014-03-29 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Just to be clear- a tri suit is totally different from a wetsuit. A tri suit is made out of swimsuit-like material and has a very thin pad in the shorts for the bike. They're made to be worn through the entire triathlon.
Wetsuits are made of neoprene, and have to be worn over something (a tri suit or bathing suit). Triathlon wetsuits are made to let you swim, and to give you a little extra floatation. Other wetsuits have different purposes.
You might be able to rent a wetsuit. If not, you can get one for as little as $100. You should definitely swim in open water, and swim in your wetsuit, before race day- both make it a very different experience from swimming in a pool and it's easy to panic on race day, even if you think you're confident.
You don't need a tri suit. You can absolutely swim in a bathing suit, or a sports bra and swim suit bottoms, and put on shorts and a shirt in transition. (Or some people do the whole race in a bathing suit, but I imagine Sweden in May will be a bit too chilly for that.)

2014-03-29 5:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh, and- you can definitely change in and out of shirts and stuff in transition, but you can't take everything off- still have to have underwear areas covered up. If you want to, say, take off a bathing suit and put on different clothes you could probably find a port-a-john and change but that would be awkward and time-consuming.
2014-03-29 6:11 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
One thing to clarify on changing in transition. At least for races associated with USA Triathlon and World Triathlon Corp (Ironman brand) public nudity is NOT allowed, and will result in disqualification.

Iron distance races may have changing tents, which is the only place nudity would be allowed. I doubt a sprint length race will have changing tents. They're typically there for the longer distance races, as chafing can be more of an issue over those distances.

Whatever you do, don't break the race day rule and try something new you haven't done in practice.
2014-03-30 3:38 AM
in reply to: chayes

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by chayes

Just to be clear- a tri suit is totally different from a wetsuit. A tri suit is made out of swimsuit-like material and has a very thin pad in the shorts for the bike. They're made to be worn through the entire triathlon.
Wetsuits are made of neoprene, and have to be worn over something (a tri suit or bathing suit). Triathlon wetsuits are made to let you swim, and to give you a little extra floatation. Other wetsuits have different purposes.
You might be able to rent a wetsuit. If not, you can get one for as little as $100. You should definitely swim in open water, and swim in your wetsuit, before race day- both make it a very different experience from swimming in a pool and it's easy to panic on race day, even if you think you're confident.
You don't need a tri suit. You can absolutely swim in a bathing suit, or a sports bra and swim suit bottoms, and put on shorts and a shirt in transition. (Or some people do the whole race in a bathing suit, but I imagine Sweden in May will be a bit too chilly for that.)

Ok, so I'd still need to wear a wetsuit over a tri suit. Got it, then I don't need a tri suit, I agree.
Thanks for the tip about trying the wet suit before.
2014-03-30 3:41 AM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by tcj103

One thing to clarify on changing in transition. At least for races associated with USA Triathlon and World Triathlon Corp (Ironman brand) public nudity is NOT allowed, and will result in disqualification.

Iron distance races may have changing tents, which is the only place nudity would be allowed. I doubt a sprint length race will have changing tents. They're typically there for the longer distance races, as chafing can be more of an issue over those distances.

Whatever you do, don't break the race day rule and try something new you haven't done in practice.

Yes, that makes sense. I am sure it's the same over here.

Thanks for the replies, I feel less like an ignorant idiot now!
2014-03-30 6:45 AM

User image

The easiest way, if you have to wear a wet suit, is to have your riding/running stuff on underneath your wetsuit. When you get to the transition, you just pull off your wetsuit, pull on your socks, shoes, and helmet, and off you go. With some practise, you can get it off really quickly. While you are running up to the transition, you unzip it and pull the sleeves off and let it hang down around your waist. Then you pull the legs off when you get to your bike.

2014-03-30 7:33 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by b2run

The easiest way, if you have to wear a wet suit, is to have your riding/running stuff on underneath your wetsuit. When you get to the transition, you just pull off your wetsuit, pull on your socks, shoes, and helmet, and off you go. With some practise, you can get it off really quickly. While you are running up to the transition, you unzip it and pull the sleeves off and let it hang down around your waist. Then you pull the legs off when you get to your bike.

Oh yeah, I've seen triathletes do that on tv. Not too worried about the few seconds this would save me in that first race, but something to keep in mind if I carry on with after. Thanks.

I think I will be wearing my swimsuit under the wet suit and put on a short and tshirt over it for the bike and run parts.
2014-03-30 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

One thing you don't want to do is try to put some sort of top on over a wet body.  Try it it's really tough, especially if you're in a hurry like you'll be in the first transition.

You can wear a bike jersey under your wetsuit.  You can also buy really inexpensive training top (C-9 brand) at Target.  If you get something that fits relatively close and is comfortable it can be worn under the wetsuit for the swim and be your top for the bike and run.

T-shirts, especially cotton just don't work well.  Pulling a T shirt on over a wet body is just tough.  I know this from experience.  Try it at home when you get out of the shower.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your race!

2014-03-31 12:23 AM
in reply to: #4973274

Definitely invest in a wetsuit, personally I love my orca s4, best investment I ever made in tri equipment, either full suit or sleeveless.
2014-03-31 12:24 AM

Thanks for your reply

I am not worried about gaining a few seconds by not changing and I certainly have no problems getting undressed in front of people if everybody is doing it, but it seems much easier not having to worry about that. I like the idea of wearing the same thing the whole race but maybe a cheap trisuit would be a bad idea and like I said, I am not prepared to spend too much for the first race, as I already have running clothes and I don't need cycling pants for a 45 to 60 minutes ride.

Ah decisions, decisions...

Can you hire a wetsuit? At the larger events in Australia, wetsuit hire is available sometimes. Or maybe pick up a 2nd hand one. If $$ is tight, get an old surfing wetsuit and cut the sleeves off it. You won't be able to swim properly in a typical non-tri wetsuit.
2014-03-31 1:38 AM
in reply to: jashac

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jashac

One thing you don't want to do is try to put some sort of top on over a wet body.  Try it it's really tough, especially if you're in a hurry like you'll be in the first transition.

You can wear a bike jersey under your wetsuit.  You can also buy really inexpensive training top (C-9 brand) at Target.  If you get something that fits relatively close and is comfortable it can be worn under the wetsuit for the swim and be your top for the bike and run.

T-shirts, especially cotton just don't work well.  Pulling a T shirt on over a wet body is just tough.  I know this from experience.  Try it at home when you get out of the shower.

Sorry when I said T shirt I meant some kind of shirt in function materisl, not a cotton shirt. The idea of putting it over my swimsuit was to give me some kind of warmth, instead of cycling with a wet shirt.

Not sure what the the weather will be like but at that time of the year over here could be anything between sun and high 50s and rain and low 40s. If it's the former, fine, if the latter... well, I can't see myself embarking on a bike ride with a wet shirt on.

Thanks, I am sure I will enjoy it

2014-03-31 1:44 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jpalac

Definitely invest in a wetsuit, personally I love my orca s4, best investment I ever made in tri equipment, either full suit or sleeveless.

Originally posted by zedzded

Can you hire a wetsuit? At the larger events in Australia, wetsuit hire is available sometimes. Or maybe pick up a 2nd hand one. If $$ is tight, get an old surfing wetsuit and cut the sleeves off it. You won't be able to swim properly in a typical non-tri wetsuit.

thanks, looking into it.
2014-03-31 11:34 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Here's a quick breakdown of what you will need. Anything else is is a luxury item.

1. Tight fitting clothes comfortable for swimming, cycling, and running. (A tri suit or tri shorts are essential because of the thin quick-drying pad. If you're riding a hybrid, the padded shorts are not important. You can even get away with a one-piece swimsuit and slip on shorts in T1.)
  2. If the water is cold, a wetsuit. In the US you can rent one for ~$50 for a week.
  3. Goggles.
  4. Swim cap (99.9% of all events will supply each racer with a color coded cap to keep track of starting waves/ages/genders. If the race does not, have your own brightly colored cap on hand. It's a safety issue. You want the race volunteers/lifeguards to be able to see you if anything happens.)
  5. A bicycle and helmet.
  6. Running shoes. (You don't need cycling shoes. You can ride in your running shoes.)
  7. A race belt. (This can be substituted by pinning your bib to a t-shirt that you can slip on at T2. I once saw a guy using a bungee cord.)

Some things that you don't need, but will make things easier. Again, nothing luxurious, you already own most of these items.

1. Sunglasses. (For the bike and run.)
  2. Towel. (For the transition area. Good to mark your area and to wipe your feet and hands.)
  3. Transition bag. (A plain back pack is enough to carry all of your stuff in and out of the transition area.)
  4. Sunblock. This should be in the first list, because you should always take care of your skin, but you can race without it.
  5. Flashlight. (Many use a headlamp when setting up your transition area.)
  6. Sandals. (Personally, I like to change out of my sweaty gear right after I race. Comfortable shoes included. They are also good for walking around before the race, since your running shoes are at the transition. I toss them in my car or put them in my wife's backpack right before heading to the starting line.
  7. Extra towel. (I keep an extra towel in the car/wife's backpack to dry off and change after the race since all of my gear are still in the transition area.)
  8. Water/nutrition.(there should be water at the transition and on the running course. But you're on your own on the bike course. Especially in a sprint race. Since your hands are free, you can eat and drink while riding.)
  9. Cooking spray. (Spray some on your calves/ankles and the wetsuit will slide right off. Won't damage the suit, either. Petroleum jelly will hurt the wetsuit.)

At races, I'm always more proud of the racers riding what they already own (MTB, hybrid, beach cruiser), than those that spent thousands of dollars on their gear. These are the athletes that usually have the most fun.

2014-04-01 7:47 AM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by vertseven

Here's a quick breakdown of what you will need. Anything else is is a luxury item.

1. Tight fitting clothes comfortable for swimming, cycling, and running. (A tri suit or tri shorts are essential because of the thin quick-drying pad. If you're riding a hybrid, the padded shorts are not important. You can even get away with a one-piece swimsuit and slip on shorts in T1.)
  2. If the water is cold, a wetsuit. In the US you can rent one for ~$50 for a week.
  3. Goggles.
  4. Swim cap (99.9% of all events will supply each racer with a color coded cap to keep track of starting waves/ages/genders. If the race does not, have your own brightly colored cap on hand. It's a safety issue. You want the race volunteers/lifeguards to be able to see you if anything happens.)
  5. A bicycle and helmet.
  6. Running shoes. (You don't need cycling shoes. You can ride in your running shoes.)
  7. A race belt. (This can be substituted by pinning your bib to a t-shirt that you can slip on at T2. I once saw a guy using a bungee cord.)

Some things that you don't need, but will make things easier. Again, nothing luxurious, you already own most of these items.

1. Sunglasses. (For the bike and run.)
  2. Towel. (For the transition area. Good to mark your area and to wipe your feet and hands.)
  3. Transition bag. (A plain back pack is enough to carry all of your stuff in and out of the transition area.)
  4. Sunblock. This should be in the first list, because you should always take care of your skin, but you can race without it.
  5. Flashlight. (Many use a headlamp when setting up your transition area.)
  6. Sandals. (Personally, I like to change out of my sweaty gear right after I race. Comfortable shoes included. They are also good for walking around before the race, since your running shoes are at the transition. I toss them in my car or put them in my wife's backpack right before heading to the starting line.
  7. Extra towel. (I keep an extra towel in the car/wife's backpack to dry off and change after the race since all of my gear are still in the transition area.)
  8. Water/nutrition.(there should be water at the transition and on the running course. But you're on your own on the bike course. Especially in a sprint race. Since your hands are free, you can eat and drink while riding.)
  9. Cooking spray. (Spray some on your calves/ankles and the wetsuit will slide right off. Won't damage the suit, either. Petroleum jelly will hurt the wetsuit.)

At races, I'm always more proud of the racers riding what they already own (MTB, hybrid, beach cruiser), than those that spent thousands of dollars on their gear. These are the athletes that usually have the most fun.

Thanks. i would not have thought about the towel and the extra pair of shoes!
2014-04-01 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Assuming you are female from your user name, for your first race you really just need a swimsuit or sports bra (depending on support needs) and tight shorts under your wetsuit, or just slip on some shorts over over your swimsuit when you get back to your bike. I did that for my first tri, and just threw a loose -- important because it will be easier to use when wet =) -- top on in transition 1. It was fine. Don't try to shimmy into anything tight in T1, although you could do a full zip top or jacket pretty easily if it's really chilly.

No stupid questions here. It's BEGINNERtriathlete.com and we were all newbies once.
2014-04-01 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by jashac

Sorry when I said T shirt I meant some kind of shirt in function materisl, not a cotton shirt. The idea of putting it over my swimsuit was to give me some kind of warmth, instead of cycling with a wet shirt. Not sure what the the weather will be like but at that time of the year over here could be anything between sun and high 50s and rain and low 40s. If it's the former, fine, if the latter... well, I can't see myself embarking on a bike ride with a wet shirt on. Thanks, I am sure I will enjoy it

Try running and riding in your swimsuit.  If it provides enough support and doesn't chafe, try again running and riding in a wet swimsuit.  Assuming you can comfortably ride and run in your swimsuit, plan to wear it the entire race.  If it doesn't, you'll have to find an alternative, but you most likely won't have a place to change.  

Are the temps I made bold Fahrenheit or Celsius?  If Fahrenheit,   try riding in wet clothes in those temperatures.  Personally, if it is 60F, I'm going to take some time to dry off as much as possible and probably put on a dry shirt even if it takes an extra minute in transition.  I do this for fun, and riding in 60F weather while wet isn't "fun" for me.  

I did my first two tri's wearing swim trunks and pulling on a cotton t-shirt after the swim.  That is what I had, and I had fun even with that modest amount of gear.  

2014-04-01 11:04 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Those temps are definitely F!
Eeek, at those temps I'd consider putting on a jacket between the bike and swim. The key is that, esp on the bike, you don't want anything huge and billowy that will act like a parachute- so no oversized t-shirts or big jackets. But a fitted tech t (short or long-sleeved; in those temps I'd do long!) or close-fitting rain jacket will be fine. You've already said you're not looking to break records. A little loss of aerodynamics will not hurt you.
I agree that you wouldn't want to be biking in a wet shirt in those temps. The poster above was probably talking about wearing a tight tank or t-shirt in warm weather, and that would work fine.
FWIW, I have a 2-piece tri suit, but it seems like every year I do a tri in chilly temps (usually in the 60s- just an unseasonable cold spell in the summer in the NE US). For those tris I wear the tri bottoms, but I just wear a sports bra under my wetsuit for the swim, and then put on a long-sleeve tech t for the bike. It's never been a huge struggle to get the tech t on, and I'm comfortable on the bike, and maybe warmer than I'd want to be but not terribly uncomfortable on the run.
If support isn't an issue for you, a swim suit instead of sports bra would be fine.
It sounds like you're in good shape. Don't sweat any of this too much- there is tons of gear you can buy, and a lot of it makes sense if you can afford it and are doing a lot of tris. But it doesn't take much (gear-wise) to complete a triathlon.
2014-04-01 1:17 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

Assuming you are female from your user name, for your first race you really just need a swimsuit or sports bra (depending on support needs) and tight shorts under your wetsuit, or just slip on some shorts over over your swimsuit when you get back to your bike. I did that for my first tri, and just threw a loose -- important because it will be easier to use when wet =) -- top on in transition 1. It was fine. Don't try to shimmy into anything tight in T1, although you could do a full zip top or jacket pretty easily if it's really chilly.

No stupid questions here. It's BEGINNERtriathlete.com and we were all newbies once.

You are assuming correctly.

A light full zip jacket seems like a great idea.

2014-04-01 1:26 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yes, these temperatures are in F, as most folk here seem to be from the US and talk in Fahrenheit. 40 to 50 C would be boiling hot!

Yes, it can be that cold in May round here, although low 40s F (5 C) is maybe very pessimistic.

A thin rain or wind jacket sounds like a great idea. I have plenty of those. They are designed for golf (My company makes them) but I don't think it will matter at my level.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals
2014-04-01 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Yes, these temperatures are in F, as most folk here seem to be from the US and talk in Fahrenheit. 40 to 50 C would be boiling hot! Yes, it can be that cold in May round here, although low 40s F (5 C) is maybe very pessimistic. A thin rain or wind jacket sounds like a great idea. I have plenty of those. They are designed for golf (My company makes them) but I don't think it will matter at my level. Thanks for all the help guys and gals

I saw you were NOT from the US and it is a big difference between 45F and 45C.  If you're expecting temperatures that cold, definitely consider drying off and putting on some warm gear in T1.  I did an Olympic distance tri a few years ago and it was about 60F when I got on the bike still wet from the swim.  I was cold the entire hour and 15 minutes (20 mph)!  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid newbie questions about stuff Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Yes, another stupid newbie question...

Started by mammatri's
Views: 998 Posts: 8

2009-03-21 11:03 AM mammatri's

First Tri in 24 days, nervous and stupid questions only a newbie could have Pages: 1 2

Started by drchaya
Views: 4731 Posts: 46

2008-03-12 2:03 PM So Fresh So Clean

Stupid Newbie questions?

Started by fergie73
Views: 958 Posts: 10

2007-06-14 3:50 PM chirunner134

Completely stupid newbie bike question

Started by Dufresne11
Views: 2988 Posts: 10

2007-03-25 1:52 PM Dufresne11

Stupid Newbie Question

Started by TexOma
Views: 674 Posts: 6

2006-11-17 4:21 PM bsjracing
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!