General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand spanking new and terrified Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-29 8:41 PM

User image

Subject: Brand spanking new and terrified
Hello, All. Just here to soak up as much information as I can. I'm on a weight loss journey and am trying to step up from 5Ks to sprint triathlons.

I do have a question on bikes and fit for which I haven't been able to find an answer.

I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam. Based on this I understand that I should get a bike around 53 or 54cm. However, all of the bikes I have looked at so far in that height have a stand-over height of 30" plus. Why would the recommended bike size for me be one that sounds as if I couldn't stand over it when not riding (e.g. 30" is higher than my inseam of 29"?)

Would appreciate any insight.

Now back to the boards to do some homework.

Edited by MXCTRL 2014-03-29 8:45 PM

2014-03-31 8:44 AM
in reply to: MXCTRL

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Brand spanking new and terrified

Hi, welcome to BT and triathlon! No need to be terrified all of it is just one step or stroke at a time.

Standover height, or anything involving formulas, isn't a very good way to size a bike for yourself ... what you need to do, if possible, is get a bike fitting at a good local bike or tri store. Those personal measurements will indicate what size, makes and models of bike will suit you best.

I'd encourage you to post your question in Triathlon Talk.

2014-03-31 11:55 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

As Yanti said stand over height is not a good indicator.  Go to a bike store and get fitted. They at least can give you an idea of what size you really need.  Welcome to BT

2014-03-31 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to the multisport world!  

Before you invest too much time and money in a bicycle, do you have a bicycle and what kind of riding do you expect to do?  

Road and tri-bikes are efficient, with light weight frames, wheels, and tires.  Wonderful when you want to go fast or go far or both.  But...the riding position might not be comfortable (physically or psychologically) at first and you might spend a lot of time dodging glass and fixing flat tires.  

Mountain bikes have heavy duty frames and heavy duty tires.  The ride can be a bit "buzzy" if you still have knobby tires, but you ride in a more upright position so it may be easier to see and be seen.  Not as efficient as a road bike, but you won't spend as much time dodging glass or potholes.  The more upright riding position is easier on your hands, back, and neck, but harder on your bottom.  

Hybrid/City/Fitness bikes are a cross of the two.  If you are only going to have one bike, this might be a decent choice.  You can easily ride around town and would have no problems taking it on a 50 mile ride (after building up to that distance).  You can get combo pedals and ride in bike shoes or regular shoes.  

Regardless of the bike, the seat position should be high enough that your leg is almost straight when you put your foot on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke.  You'll notice that this means you can't sit on the seat and put your feet on the ground.  If there isn't enough clearance between the top tube and your crotch, you'll have to lean the bike to the side (think of standing with your left foot on the ground, right foot on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, and the bike leaned towards the left as much as necessary.  There is some safety element that you'll want to be comfortable straddling the bike all the time and in a hurry, so don't get a bike too big.  

2014-03-31 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Stand over is height not important. Top tube length matters more than seat tube. As others said get fitted.
2014-04-01 9:48 AM

User image

Welcome to the triathlon community. Sprint tris are a ton of fun.

Best of luck on your weight loss journey.

2014-04-03 1:55 AM

User image

Thanks ALL for the information! Totally don't know where to start and I really do appreciate the insight. What I gather is two things:

1. Get Fitted. I'll do that post haste.
2. Sounds like starting with a hybrid might be a better idea than jumping immediately to a road/tri bike.

Another question:
I tip the scales at 255 pounds. Is this a problem for the bike... are their weight capacity limits to consider?

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand spanking new and terrified Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Brand-spanking new w/ first triathlon coming up

Started by triathlongal
Views: 775 Posts: 2

2011-07-16 9:13 PM scubadiver68

New and a bit terrified

Started by gettingthere
Views: 854 Posts: 10

2009-08-11 9:50 AM kburk09

i'm brand-spanking new to this...from Texas

Started by biauncasalas
Views: 692 Posts: 6

2009-07-31 8:03 PM KeriKadi

Brand spanking new

Started by whynot
Views: 629 Posts: 4

2005-05-08 3:55 PM COgirl

brand spanking new to this...

Started by cristin1124
Views: 1070 Posts: 13

2004-04-05 10:54 PM cristin1124
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.