Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Subject: RE: Rest Days

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by some_dude I don't get stronger by training... I get stronger by recovering from training.

And recovering happens anytime you aren't training.  It doesn't only happen on full rest days.

False. 8 hours of mental stress on your body in a pressure day at work is not ideal for recovery. 8 hours of heavy labor is not conducive to recovery. Not eating well is not good recovery. I know the point you are trying to drive home and yes recovery is happening when you are not physically training. However, people fail to realize how much stress they put on their body outside of training, see my comments above with the water bucket analogy. You might be recovering but it is not ideal recovery.

Agree.  Your bucket comment was quoting my comment about thinking of rest in terms of time and quality...and that 4 hours of running errands is not the best way to rest.  

And very much agree that outside training stresses are usually overlooked by most people.  Anytime someone posts a question about feeling run down...asking if they are over training...my first question is to evaluate all of their non training activities.  It usually then becomes clear why they are more run down then normal. 

2014-04-01 2:22 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by some_dude I don't get stronger by training... I get stronger by recovering from training.

And recovering happens anytime you aren't training.  It doesn't only happen on full rest days.

False. 8 hours of mental stress on your body in a pressure day at work is not ideal for recovery. 8 hours of heavy labor is not conducive to recovery. Not eating well is not good recovery. I know the point you are trying to drive home and yes recovery is happening when you are not physically training. However, people fail to realize how much stress they put on their body outside of training, see my comments above with the water bucket analogy. You might be recovering but it is not ideal recovery.

Agree.  Your bucket comment was quoting my comment about thinking of rest in terms of time and quality...and that 4 hours of running errands is not the best way to rest.  

And very much agree that outside training stresses are usually overlooked by most people.  Anytime someone posts a question about feeling run down...asking if they are over training...my first question is to evaluate all of their non training activities.  It usually then becomes clear why they are more run down then normal. 

Bingo. Overtraining through training is usually misdiagnosed and often misunderstood. Usually it is from what is done or not being done outside of training then the actual training itself.
2014-04-01 2:56 PM
in reply to: USAFR

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
My work schedule demands that I take a day off from training.
On Tuesdays - today, I have a first client meeting at 7 am.
My wife works until 7 pm.
We don't get home until 8 pm.

Plus I do a double (swim in the AM and bike in the PM) on Mondays.

I do the something on Wednesdays.

Tuesday is my only day off.
2014-04-01 4:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

Then spend even more time recovering and less time training and report back on your results.

I think you guys are being a little hard on some_dude.  I agree completely with what he said, but with an emphasis on two words:

"I don't get stronger by training...I get stronger by recovering from training."

Less time training would mean there is less time recovering from it.  Both training and recovery are equally necessary for fitness adaptations to occur.

Regarding the OP's question...see my signature line - It depends.

If you execute all your planned training exactly, never missing a session, always getting enough sleep, and your training is planned well, taking into consideration your other stressors, and you love every moment of training, then I wouldn't schedule days off.

If you have a very demanding schedule that occasionally causes you to miss a training session, I'm also less likely to schedule a complete rest day.

If your schedule demands that Saturday and Sunday are big training days, because Monday through Friday are packed making longer sessions impossible, then I'm more inclined to schedule Monday's as a recovery day.

If you love racing, but only like training, and the occasional mental break helps you maintain your focus and execute training sessions better, then I'd be more likely to schedule a day off occasionally, but not necessarily every week.

If you have a spouse and children who it's important to spend time with to keep peace at home, then I would schedule a day off from training every week, but not necessarily for the purpose of recovery so much as to help maintain balance in life.

2014-04-02 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4974141

No time for a rest day. That's what sleep is for.
2014-04-02 8:05 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In previous years I often took every Friday off from training, but I've gradually gotten away from that. It's the only time that really works for me to get in a fourth bike workout (trainer ride early AM); otherwise I am stuck with 3X a week. I feel like it was needed more mentally than physically; it seems to work just as well most weeks for me to do a Friday AM ride then take Friday PM off. That still lets me do what I did with the day off--catch up on odds and ends at work and plan the next week, and sometimes go out for a beer or two with friends. I probably end up taking 2-3 rest days a month on average for various reasons--extra demands at work (such as a school trip), minor illness, tapering or recovering from an event, travel, etc. Occasionally I just don't feel "right" and I take a day off--I know my body and when I need it!

What matters more for me is scheduling the workouts each week so that I can recover from each one, and getting enough sleep. If I do that successfully, I only need the occasional day off.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest Days Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Light swim day = Rest day

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1770 Posts: 5

2010-12-31 10:01 PM disturbed275

rest days/rest weeks

Started by disturbed
Views: 2114 Posts: 14

2010-10-25 8:49 AM 1stTimeTri

What Day Is Your Scheduled Rest Day?

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 1313 Posts: 25

2009-12-22 9:06 AM mmrocker13

What Day Is Your Rest Day(s) Pages: 1 2

Started by ENP
Views: 1990 Posts: 33

2009-08-16 1:13 PM mndymond

Rest days - Pre or Post big volume days? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2679 Posts: 29

2008-01-18 4:10 PM southwestmba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : November 16, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
Learn more about protein intake, iron, post exercise food, recovering with carbs and protein, rest days, fluids and sodium.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.