General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest Days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-31 12:52 PM

Subject: Rest Days
Do you schedule rest days into your training? Currently I schedule Mondays as a complete day of rest but sometimes I think I could use that day for another swim. I do 3 swims/bikes/runs the other 6 days with some days being doubles. I feel like I'm doing enough until I read the posts that say "if you want to swim better- swim more, if you want to bike better- bike more, if you want run better- run more". Of course I would like to do all 3 better who wouldn't?

2014-03-31 1:03 PM
in reply to: USAFR

Subject: RE: Rest Days
I'm not in any tri specific training right now as I am just learning to swim but I think a rest day every now and then is a good thing. When I was younger and racing bikes I recovered from hard efforts a lot quick and didn't take too many rest days. I think they are essential as I get older. That said... sometimes a rest day to me is a super easy spin on the bike. Not a training ride, but a recovery ride just to loosen up and get the blood flowing.
2014-03-31 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I try to manage rest in the context of all three sports, and by time in hours between workouts (so, not just by the "day" - doing some workouts early or late to give myself the appropriate rest).

I typically DO schedule Monday as a rest day, with an optional EASY swim.  Even when I feel like running (unless there is a schedule reason to shift the week around or I need an easy recovery run rather than a recovery swim), I let the legs rest Mondays after the typical weekend madness.  That means I don't do kick sets during the Monday swim! 

This is what works for ME, and in the context of my current training plan.  Of course, YOU need to rest and recover based on YOUR training and how your body responds.  I wish I recovered like I used to, but I'm as old as I am and enjoy getting older every day!  Just means that my idea of recovery is also evolving... 

Try adding another workout in if you feel good and have the time and inclination.  Just pay attention to what your body tells you afterward, and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Matt

2014-03-31 1:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

You need recovery from the training for the improvements to happen. For some, that just means going lighter. Others could use the day off. For some, the mental break of not working out is needed. Then they're fresh for the next ones. I don't schedule rest days, taking them if I'm sick or life happens. I just need to switch up activities and go easier on some days. Then I'm fine.

2014-03-31 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4974141

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
You'll get answers all over the board on this one. My 2 cents is that I don't take a day off for recovery on a weekly basis. I do long rides/runs on the weekend so Mondays are usually an easier spin plus strength training. When I do increase my swim frequency, Mon is usually the logical day to do that and I subtract the strength training. But what you do depends on a whole bunch of important factors.
2014-03-31 2:13 PM

User image

Think of your recovery the same way you think of training.  Time and intensity.  As Matt mentioned, rest does not have to be measured in days.  Anytime you are not active, you're in a state of recovery.  Whether it be for 4 hours, or 24 hours...it still counts.  And also think of the quality (intensity) of your recovery.  Sleep is a much better form of recovery than running errands for 4 hours.

I'll take a full rest day off from training if I need it.  Usually though it more to do with being sick or not getting enough sleep rather than an overload of training though.

2014-03-31 2:18 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Seattle

I do not schedule complete days off but I most definitely have lots of recovery days and am a stickler for running those at a very low intensity. I have a pretty good handle on my body though, and am more than willing to take an entire day if I need it. Or to cut a workout short if need be.

2014-03-31 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

Think of your recovery the same way you think of training.  Time and intensity.  As Matt mentioned, rest does not have to be measured in days.  Anytime you are not active, you're in a state of recovery.  Whether it be for 4 hours, or 24 hours...it still counts.  And also think of the quality (intensity) of your recovery.  Sleep is a much better form of recovery than running errands for 4 hours.

I'll take a full rest day off from training if I need it.  Usually though it more to do with being sick or not getting enough sleep rather than an overload of training though.

You hit on some good points. If you are to take a day off with the aim of recovery do not add in 5 different activities that will hamper your recovery. You should literally do as little as possible, eat well, and get sleep. This however, is very difficult to AG athletes with life commitments.

Think of it this way. You have a bucket that is pouring water into the bucket. That water being poured in is your sleep, nutrition, and recovery, at the bottom is a faucet that drains the water out. That faucet is training, work, and other life stress. You want to keep the bucket full of water. A full bucket will give you an increase in performance, energy and lower your chance for illness/injury.
2014-03-31 2:44 PM

User image

New user
penticton
i think rest day are very important! nothing like having some time to relax and sneak in a easy swim and recovery ride

More seriously, when a relatively new athlete in the sport, i think having a complet rest day is a very good and important components. Perhaps for the first few years.

As i get athlete with more experience, many years in the sport and a relatively good training load weekly, i see better results using ''easy days'' and rarely schedule day off. Active recovery for those athletes seems to be optimal.

so, it all depend where you are at in your athletic journee.

2014-03-31 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
The short answer is absolutely. But, it is a very subjective thing and each athlete is different with tons of variables. At 54, recovery for me takes a bit longer after an intense workout. I always train on a plan schedule if its for race prep, and add or subtract as needed depending on how my body feels. I want to make sure to be as fully recovered as possible prior to a higher intensity workout. Sometimes that means a total day off, sometimes an active recovery with maybe an easy spin or swim. Keep in mind, adaptation occurs while the body is at rest. Make the easy days easy so you can hit the hard days at maximum intensity. Check your resting heart rate first am, it is a very good indicator of how well you are recovered from a previous tough work out.
2014-03-31 2:53 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jonnyo

i think rest day are very important! nothing like having some time to relax and sneak in a easy swim and recovery ride

More seriously, when a relatively new athlete in the sport, i think having a complet rest day is a very good and important components. Perhaps for the first few years.

As i get athlete with more experience, many years in the sport and a relatively good training load weekly, i see better results using ''easy days'' and rarely schedule day off. Active recovery for those athletes seems to be optimal.

so, it all depend where you are at in your athletic journee.

Something like this....?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/General_Physiology/Less_is_Less_...

2014-03-31 2:59 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

You need recovery from the training for the improvements to happen. For some, that just means going lighter. Others could use the day off. For some, the mental break of not working out is needed. Then they're fresh for the next ones. I don't schedule rest days, taking them if I'm sick or life happens. I just need to switch up activities and go easier on some days. Then I'm fine.

^^^This for me.  I schedule Friday as my off day.  At the end of the work week, I don't really want to go home and do anything other than hang.  Not sure what it does for me physically, but mentally it is beneficial.

2014-03-31 5:27 PM

User image

I'm starting my third year of triathlons, and I feel like I need the rest days. Last year I was having a really crappy season until I started to build in more rest. Then my season turned around and I started to feel better and actually see some improved performance. I'm not a natural athlete and I splash around in the hypothyroid end of things. I think my body needs more rest then someone more athleticthen me.
2014-03-31 9:31 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

Rest days are usually doing a piece of exercise at a low intensity or a short period of time. I enjoy exercise & it helps me relax, non-punishing work-outs I really look forward to
2014-03-31 9:47 PM

I don't get stronger by training... I get stronger by recovering from training.
2014-03-31 9:52 PM
in reply to: some_dude

User image

Pro

Originally posted by some_dude I don't get stronger by training... I get stronger by recovering from training.

Then spend even more time recovering and less time training and report back on your results.

2014-03-31 10:01 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Then spend even more time recovering and less time training and report back on your results.

With 7991 posts I'd figure you'd know it doesn't work that way.
2014-03-31 10:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by some_dude

Of course......what I know is that you don't get stronger from recovering (like you wrote)......it's the training and the adaptation to increased training stress that makes you stronger.

Sure, rest....but only so you can go again.  Most of us can never get there, but ideally you can build the training to the point where even "rest" is a workout.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-31 10:09 PM
2014-03-31 10:09 PM

You can still train hard and daily or twice daily without getting injured, as long as you train smart. Trying to run off injuries is not training smart. I try and mix up my training, so I'm not running 3 days on the trot for example.
2014-03-31 10:33 PM

it's the...adaptation to increased training stress that makes you stronger.

Edited... and yes.

The training doesn't make you stronger... it makes you weaker. If it didn't there would be no need for the body to adapt and your performance would stagnate.

Anyway, I sense an argument over semantics has just started and am going to bow out.

Cheers.
2014-03-31 10:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

it's the...adaptation to increased training stress that makes you stronger.

Edited... and yes. The training doesn't make you stronger... it makes you weaker. If it didn't there would be no need for the body to adapt and your performance would stagnate. Anyway, I sense an argument over semantics has just started and am going to bow out. Cheers.

Your body doesn't adapt to rest to get stronger/faster....if it did, I'd win Kona.  LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2014-03-31 10:58 PM

2014-04-01 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I take 1 rest day per week on the weekend and use it to focus solely on my family.
2014-04-01 12:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by some_dude I don't get stronger by training... I get stronger by recovering from training.

And recovering happens anytime you aren't training.  It doesn't only happen on full rest days.

2014-04-01 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

And recovering happens anytime you aren't training.  It doesn't only happen on full rest days.

False. 8 hours of mental stress on your body in a pressure day at work is not ideal for recovery. 8 hours of heavy labor is not conducive to recovery. Not eating well is not good recovery.

I know the point you are trying to drive home and yes recovery is happening when you are not physically training. However, people fail to realize how much stress they put on their body outside of training, see my comments above with the water bucket analogy. You might be recovering but it is not ideal recovery.
2014-04-01 12:52 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bcagle25

False. 8 hours of mental stress on your body in a pressure day at work is not ideal for recovery. 8 hours of heavy labor is not conducive to recovery. Not eating well is not good recovery. I know the point you are trying to drive home and yes recovery is happening when you are not physically training. However, people fail to realize how much stress they put on their body outside of training, see my comments above with the water bucket analogy. You might be recovering but it is not ideal recovery.

Does this mean I'm NOT winnnig kona?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest Days Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Light swim day = Rest day

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1770 Posts: 5

2010-12-31 10:01 PM disturbed275

rest days/rest weeks

Started by disturbed
Views: 2115 Posts: 14

2010-10-25 8:49 AM 1stTimeTri

What Day Is Your Scheduled Rest Day?

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 1324 Posts: 25

2009-12-22 9:06 AM mmrocker13

What Day Is Your Rest Day(s) Pages: 1 2

Started by ENP
Views: 1996 Posts: 33

2009-08-16 1:13 PM mndymond

Rest days - Pre or Post big volume days? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2683 Posts: 29

2008-01-18 4:10 PM southwestmba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : November 16, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
Learn more about protein intake, iron, post exercise food, recovering with carbs and protein, rest days, fluids and sodium.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.