General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bronx Duathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-31 2:11 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Bronx Duathlon?
Hi, I'm travelling to Albany from Richmond, Virginia at the end of April for the USAT Race Director Certification course and will be missing a hometown race. I thought I'd try to find something on the road, and found the Bronx Du. Has anyone done this race before? Thoughts or tips on the course?

Even better, is anyone doing it this year? Anyone have recommendations on where to stay somewhat nearby that is affordable? I'll have a vehicle (not flying in) so don't mind a short drive (<30minutes) in the morning... but my idea of 30-minute-distance is quite likely much different from New York's.

Better yet, anyone with a guest room? ::bats eyelashes::

2014-04-03 11:51 AM
in reply to: H20man

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: Bronx Duathlon?
I did this race last year, you can see the report in my races but the reason I'm not planning on doing it again is that I didn't care for the bike course. below is the excerpt. As for hotels, I don't know, but probably look into Westchester county. The area surrounding Orchard Beach isn't chock full of hotels and manhattan will cost a fortune to stay/park. I really like the race directors though and they put on a bunch of small races in the area. Have a great race if you do it.

6 "loops" mostly in the park. There were 3 sharp turns you had to slow down for. And the kicker was a toll booth with gravel and a speed bump. Not a course to PR on, but okay.
2014-04-07 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4974212

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Bronx Duathlon?
Cool thanks. The short multi-loop bike course actually interests me. Seems like a tri/crit.

I'll go dig up your full report. ::thumbs::
2014-04-30 2:24 PM
in reply to: H20man

User image

Regular
Subject: Bronx Du Race Report
Had a great time at this event. Turnout was low, but that's a reflection of multisport as a whole right now. I got there a few minutes before the advertised start of packet pickup (6:15) but they didn't open up until about 6:40. Thankfully we were able to rack early and set up as they had posted the bib numbers ahead of time. The weather was cool and overcast with a chilling wind from the west.

The first run started out a bit clogged up until it emptied onto the "board"walk (actually large asphalt pavers... not very easy on the feet and ankles). I settled in a few seconds back from the first chase pack, but should have pushed earlier. Came into T1 about 10th? and put up the fastest T1 time with 21 seconds. Stripped my jacket, kicked off my shoes, and snapped on my helmet. Not much else to do in there?

The bike course was not nearly as crowded but far more technical than I had expected (mind you, there are no course maps available... I made one on RideWithGPS.com afterwards for everyone to see). Also, I had not had time to ride my bike on my race wheels recently and had forgotten they are narrower than my training wheels... so when I came up to the first hairpin turn I found I had very little rear brake and no front brake. This caused me to take wider lines for the rest of the course, and probably actually resulted in carrying faster speeds. I thought the bike course was quite fun and a neat departure from the long, rural, open-to-traffic single loop courses that we're accustomed to in VA.

The second run met me with heavier legs than I am used to. I usually feel great in the first two miles, and then bonk. This time, I felt like lead from the first step off the bike. I was able to hold my average pace down under 7, picking off one guy in the first mile. I knew I should have been in the 6:20s, and reached that late on the course, but the next guy ahead was picking up speed just as I was. I crossed in 6th, only to find out one of the guys ahead of me had flatted and skipped a bike lap, and hopped onto the run anyway.

I took 5th overall and 1st in Age Group. I was very happy with that... until I saw that I was not even a minute off the overall podium ;p

I had a super time, and it was fun to race a small local event, despite the snags and lack of security of a non-sanctioned event.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bronx Duathlon? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bronx Duathlon : Official Thread

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 1182 Posts: 6

2012-04-30 9:16 AM Rudedog55

Bronx Biathlon

Started by Sevenride
Views: 1363 Posts: 3

2010-04-20 6:45 PM Sevenride

Running from the Bronx into Manhattan

Started by ering305
Views: 1142 Posts: 3

2010-01-27 7:19 PM Lilac J

FDNY Triathlon, Sept. 20 at Orchard Beach (Bronx)

Started by Azania
Views: 5623 Posts: 20

2009-10-12 9:59 AM swimbikeandrun

Anyone else doing the Bronx Half Marathon

Started by Rmaldon240
Views: 749 Posts: 6

2007-02-10 9:18 PM Rmaldon240
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.