Other Resources The Political Joe » Are you a skeptic? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-01 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Are you a skeptic?

When I was responding in the AGW thread earlier I was starting to wonder if I'm the only skeptical person around here so it got me to pondering.

Personally, I have become a skeptic over the years because of various life experiences.  I was always trusting of our law enforcement, government, religion, science, and even other people.  However, after getting burnt multiple times through my life and seeing blatant corruption in person I have developed a much more skeptical nature about most things.

For example, it seems like almost every law or tax that is being pushed has some sort of boogieman attached to it.  We have to do X in order to save the children, we have to do Y or else all the murderers will get out of prison, we have to raise your taxes or all the bridges will collapse, etc.  Right now in Nebraska they're pushing to eliminate "good time" in jail because one guy who was paroled got out and murdered 3 people.  Tragic for sure, but the way the politicians are hyping it up it's going to be a zombie apocalypse in our state if the law doesn't get passed.
I successfully fought a law in our state where they wanted to GPS track every person under supervision for certain crimes because of the astronomically high recidivism rate.  The actual language of the bill said there was a 94% recidivism rate.  Well, I commissioned a study that looked at empirical data and the real recidivism rate was less than 1% over the past 15 years in our state.  WTF, they seriously just made up the 94% number and presented it as fact to scare people.  After I educated the judiciary committee, the law was shot down.

So, when it comes to things like global warming, gun control, spying, you name it I tend to take a VERY skeptical position until the evidence proves to me otherwise.  I also use my same skeptical goggles to the evidence, because I've seen direct manipulation of that over the years as well.

Another thing I find interesting is how ideology can effect skepticism on various topics.  For example for many years I was not a skeptic for many conservative things because "it was just right, duh", but would be ultra-skeptical of progressive ideas because "they were just wrong, duh".  As I've matured I tend to take an equally skeptical position of things on all sides of the political spectrum which has resulted in my gradual shift towards Libertarianism.

I have changed my opinion on many topics over the years, so it's not like I'm a freak about it, but I'm curious how you guys would classify yourselves.  Also are you skeptical with all things, or primarily just the ones outside of your social/political spectrum?

2014-04-01 9:14 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Are you a skeptic?

I'm with you. Now, I'm a scientist so I'm making a living questioning things. But as I get older and see more and more BS coming from government I've grown pretty jaded/skeptical in that arena, too. So many flat-out lies, and the majority of the population are too lazy, stupid, and uninformed to bother checking facts for themselves.

2014-04-01 9:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I am an eternal optimist.  I believe 100% in the basic goodness of people because I have seen it manifested on thousands of occasions.  I accept that there is evil, and I have stared it in the face many times.......it doesn't hold a candle to the good I've seen, so no worries at all from me.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-01 9:50 AM
2014-04-01 9:53 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by tuwood

I successfully fought a law in our state where they wanted to GPS track every person under supervision for certain crimes because of the astronomically high recidivism rate.  The actual language of the bill said there was a 94% recidivism rate.  Well, I commissioned a study that looked at empirical data and the real recidivism rate was less than 1% over the past 15 years in our state.  WTF, they seriously just made up the 94% number and presented it as fact to scare people.  After I educated the judiciary committee, the law was shot down. 

I just want to say I think this is pretty awesome.
What was their response when you presented your data? Oops?

2014-04-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Left Brain

I am an eternal optimist.  I believe 100% in the basic goodness of people because I have seen it manifested on thousands of occasions.  I accept that there is evil, and I have stared it in the face many times.......it doesn't hold a candle to the good I've seen, so no worries at all from me.

I'm a cynic.  I expect the worst out of people, so that I'm not disappointed.

2014-04-01 10:23 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by lisac957

I just want to say I think this is pretty awesome.
What was their response when you presented your data? Oops?

Lets just say it was a little uncomfortable and the head of the judiciary personally apologized afterwards.

We always hear about lobbyists, but what they really do is introduce laws.  Our lawmakers rarely write the laws, they are often handed language by some lobbyist who is paid money by some external entity who will benefit by the laws passage.  OK, I make widgets and our sales our down.  I can spend $100k on a lobbyist and throw a big fundraiser dinner for this senator and change the state law to mandate that all people who are in this category have to use my widget.  Boom, my sales just went through the roof because of the law.

2014-04-01 10:26 AM

User image

I'm a pessimist when it comes to humans. All my surprises are positive ones.

I'm betting child molestation.

2014-04-01 10:35 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by DanielG I'm a pessimist when it comes to humans. All my surprises are positive ones.

I'm betting child molestation.

nope.  

edit: I think those are already covered by GPS

Edited by tuwood 2014-04-01 10:41 AM
2014-04-01 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Denver

I find that when someone makes a claim about something, whether it's something I agree with or not, I tend to be really skeptical and want to see the evidence backing up their position for myself.  But it depends on context too.   If it's coming from someone or somewhere I respect and I've known to be credible in the past I'll be a little more willing to take their word on something compared to some random person writing on their blog or someone with an obvious agenda.where I'll be much more skeptical of claims they make.  For me it doesn't matter if I agree with it or not and find that sometimes I'm actually more skeptical of claims that agree with my position. 

Overall though I find it hard to question people's motivations and probably fall more on LB's side of things of being more optimistic.  Until proven otherwise, I generally give people the benefit of the doubt that they're acting in good faith and doing what they think is right, even if I think they're wrong.

2014-04-04 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I'm not without a certain degree of cynicism, but I'm definitely an optimist as well.

"If you ask me, the light is winning."
2014-04-04 2:44 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite
Boise
I'm probably more of a skeptic than you Tony. Show me a law and I'm positive with a little digging I'll find you a person out there who is putting up good money to try and rig the game in their favor.

2014-04-04 5:12 PM

User image

Elite

I don't believe you.

2014-04-04 7:46 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman

I don't believe you.

I believe you do.

2014-04-04 9:57 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by powerman

I don't believe you.

I believe you do.

Doh! Damn sunshine.

2014-04-05 6:48 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Let's just say this is one of the podcasts that I have on rotation:

https://www.theskepticsguide.org/ 

2014-04-14 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I am a commercial lender and let's just say I am paid to be a skeptic and after a while it rubs off on all aspects of life. Doesn't help that like OP, when I do follow through with inquiring on a statement someone makes, I normally find bad information or lies on the other end which only adds fuel to my fire of doubt, lol.

I just explain my high level of skepticism as both a blessing and a curse. At least when it is pointed out to me by others

2014-04-16 11:14 AM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Originally posted by the bear

Let's just say this is one of the podcasts that I have on rotation:

https://www.theskepticsguide.org/ 

Added.
2014-04-16 11:29 AM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
It seems like folks are still buying into the either/or mentality.

I believe in people, and I can be an optimist.
I work with children and support young educators and psychologists in their careers.
I have plenty of experience that supports my optimism.

I have also seen some horrific things as an EMT and educational psychologist, so nothing surpises me either.

However, when someone tries to sell something to me... be it a service, a product, a law, a "documentary", or an organization's status quo... to name a few.... you better believe that I am a cynic and skeptic.
2014-04-16 8:20 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I believe in people.

Politicians, in general, have lost their humanity and don't count.

2014-04-18 12:24 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
On a sortof related topic, good news... a local independent expert psychologist in private practice that I have to deal with just had a recent case published where the judge ripped her ethics, intergrity, and claims of impartiality apart... those little moral victories.

Once it gets put it one the net, I should post the link so you can all click and increase the likelihood that Google and Yahoo find it.

2014-04-19 1:19 PM

Depending on the agenda of the person delivering the news/information these days, that determines my level of skepticism. If it's a religous person, I tend to be skeptical, because of the slant that's often presented, but the same can be said if the person is anti-religion, as that can also have a slant. If the information presented to me is from an unbiased, objective source, my skepticism is much lower, as I'm looking for facts when listening to the news, not someone's agenda sprinkled into it.

2014-04-20 3:32 PM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by SGirl Depending on the agenda of the person delivering the news/information these days, that determines my level of skepticism. If it's a religous person, I tend to be skeptical, because of the slant that's often presented, but the same can be said if the person is anti-religion, as that can also have a slant. If the information presented to me is from an unbiased, objective source, my skepticism is much lower, as I'm looking for facts when listening to the news, not someone's agenda sprinkled into it.

I completely agree with you when listening to "biased" people, but I've often found that the most "biased" people are the ones presenting themselves as "unbiased".  So, I find myself most skeptical of people and organizations who claim to be unbiased.

2014-08-08 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I'm not sure that I believe in this thread.

2014-08-08 12:39 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by pga_mike

I'm not sure that I believe in this thread.

I'm not sure that I believe that you aren't sure that you believe in this thread.

2014-08-09 9:53 AM

New user
Key West
No, although I am trained to be skeptical (an attorney), that is not my nature. My nature is to believe that people are inherently good and trustworthy until they show me they aren't or what they say defies logic. Then, after that, I won't ever trust them. So, that means I don't trust politicians, the press, car salespersons, telemarketers, door to door salespersons, and a few people that I know personally.

Maya Angelou said something once that I always remember, and that is "when someone reveals themselves to you, believe them." I used to give people in my life second and third chances to screw me over. That doesn't happen anymore. Once and done.

Edited by topolina 2014-08-09 9:54 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Are you a skeptic? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.