General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Next Gen Fitness Monitor? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-01 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Next Gen Fitness Monitor?
I'm not a big fan of fitness monitors - but, this one brings some interesting metrics to the table:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/healbe-gobe-the-only-way-to-autom...

A few things stand out for me:
> Ability to monitor my diet w/o food logs
> Hydration / Glucose levels (could be useful for longer races)

I wonder how accurate it is...

2014-04-01 12:31 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Next Gen Fitness Monitor?
Originally posted by RockTractor

I'm not a big fan of fitness monitors - but, this one brings some interesting metrics to the table:

I don't see it.

How can it monitor how much you eat without input?
I don't think you can get glucose levels through the skin, I thought you needed blood?
hydration- maybe but I don't think it would be very accurate, maybe useful as you develop history with it.
Calories burned- will it know the difference between activities without input?
Will it really know the difference between sleeping and watching TV?

I wouldn't put money down on this one yet.
2014-04-01 12:51 PM

User image

Even if this monitor were able to accurately track this data...what are you going to do with all that data.  Honestly speaking...I don't need a fitness monitor to tell me that I'm eating too much or too little.  I eat when I'm hungry...and it's pretty obvious when I over indulge.  And like most people...I choose to rest/sleep when I can.  There are many times when I know my body needs rest, but I choose not to because I have other things to do.

Now if this monitor could also curb my cravings for junk food, and put me to sleep the instant I want to...now that's something I'm willing to invest in.

2014-04-02 8:16 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by RockTractor I'm not a big fan of fitness monitors - but, this one brings some interesting metrics to the table: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/healbe-gobe-the-only-way-to-autom... A few things stand out for me: > Ability to monitor my diet w/o food logs > Hydration / Glucose levels (could be useful for longer races) I wonder how accurate it is...

I'm an I.T. guy and I admit to having a 'Geek' side.  Things like this always intrigue me so I spent a few minutes digging it to this device and the claims made.  First, it isn't available for sale yet - at least not anywhere I was able to find.  The link you provided goes to a fundraising site so they can further develop the project.  Their website claims, "Currently, the margin of error for calorie intake measurement is 15-20% compared to calorie counts on food labels. This level of accuracy compares very favorably to the estimation and guesswork of manual calorie tracking. . ." and further states, "GoBe’s calorie burn measurement is 90-95% accurate, compared to these standard calculations."  As we all know, the "standard calculations" - like those used by treadmills, etc. - are not very accurate to begin with so use your own judgement as to the overall accuracy of their claims.  I don't see anywhere that there is any kind of empirical data from users that would support those claims.

One thing that raised a serious red flag for me is that, while the company has offices in San Francisco, their origins are in Russia.  As an IT guy, I deal with malware threats, botnets, all kinds of miscellaneous cyber security threats that trace back to that area of the world on pretty much a weekly basis. Not saying that an individual or a company from Russia can't be legitimate, just sayin' it gave me a moment of pause.

I am looking forward to watching how this product develops and it will be interesting to see actual user data if/when it becomes available.  That said however, I agree with Jason, I don't need a device on my wrist to tell me a MacDonald s Big Mac is bad or a three-hour bike ride is good.

Thanks for sharing the link.

2014-04-02 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

IMO, there is no way this thing is accurate.

Yes, you can tell calories have been injested by seeing a rise in glucose, but there is no way they can do it accurately.

Eat 2000 calories of fat, vs 2000 calories of carbs vs 2000 calories of protein, you will get a very different glucose response.

2014-04-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I'm a big "snacker"... so, if at a glance I could determine calorie deficit/surplus for the day - it might help me get a handle on how much I am really eating vs how much I think I am eating.

I'm also curious what the "response time" for data would be. Too much lag and it becomes way less useful (to me). If it were responsive enough, it would seem that for HIM / IM distance races - the feedback for hydration and calorie expenditure/intake would certainly be useful.

2014-04-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by marcag

IMO, there is no way this thing is accurate. Yes, you can tell calories have been injested by seeing a rise in glucose, but there is no way they can do it accurately. Eat 2000 calories of fat, vs 2000 calories of carbs vs 2000 calories of protein, you will get a very different glucose response.

That's what I am thinking too.  Their website claims they can track macro-nutrients.  I am with you, how is the device going to know if the glucose rise came from fat, carbs, or protein as it can theoretically come from any of those.

2014-04-02 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Eat 2000 calories of fat, vs 2000 calories of carbs vs 2000 calories of protein, you will get a very different glucose response.

Good point!
2014-04-02 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
OK, I'm less enthused now....

From the comments it looks like it can not measure calories from proteins at all and may have a 10hr lag time.
2014-04-02 9:46 AM

New user

Brooklyn Park (Twin Cities), MN
There are several sites online that are questioning this project. This one was pretty convincing to me:
http://pando.com/2014/03/20/on-indiegogo-a-miracle-health-device-ra...

and here is second post from that same site:
http://pando.com/2014/04/01/healbe-offers-more-bunk-science-to-back...
2014-04-02 10:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good point!

I do believe they will eventually be able to read blood glucose through near infrared spectroscopy, but I don't think they are quite there and if they were I doubt you would count calories with it.

It would make billions in the diabetes world however.

There is a device that is supposed to measure lactate being discussed on ST. That I believe is much more legit.

Edited by marcag 2014-04-02 10:36 AM

2014-04-02 10:42 AM
in reply to: titusj

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by titusj

There are several sites online that are questioning this project. This one was pretty convincing to me:
http://pando.com/2014/03/20/on-indiegogo-a-miracle-health-device-ra...

and here is second post from that same site:
http://pando.com/2014/04/01/healbe-offers-more-bunk-science-to-back...

Interesting reads - thanks for finding those.
I guess I will withdraw my hope for the promises it offered.
2014-04-02 11:11 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Good point!

I do believe they will eventually be able to read blood glucose through near infrared spectroscopy, but I don't think they are quite there and if they were I doubt you would count calories with it.

It would make billions in the diabetes world however.

There is a device that is supposed to measure lactate being discussed on ST. That I believe is much more legit.

Non-invasive reading of glucose is close but not there yet. Here is one that may appear soon but reads it rom your ear lobe. the CEO talks about the optical methods a bit and how flawed they are. Seams like calibration is also an issue with reading glucose.

http://www.medgadget.com/2013/10/non-invasive-measurement-of-blood-...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Next Gen Fitness Monitor? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me set my bike fitness up for next year

Started by thebigb
Views: 1061 Posts: 10

2012-11-01 12:39 PM thebigb

At a conference for the next 5 days - thoughts on not losing fitness

Started by crmorton
Views: 1750 Posts: 24

2011-07-30 6:26 AM JollyRoger

LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Bally's, Snap Fitness? Pages: 1 2

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 12489 Posts: 31

2015-02-17 8:18 PM Miles around Midtown

Polar bike monitor and heart rate monitor

Started by turtleturtle
Views: 1159 Posts: 2

2008-05-22 6:18 AM gleser

Timex Ironman Triathlon Fitness Monitor

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1401 Posts: 8

2004-01-10 12:12 AM DharmaBum
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
comments : 0
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.