General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Educate me on hydration vest Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-01 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Educate me on hydration vest
I'm doing my first 50 miler at the end of the month. I've just been running with a handheld and honestly after about 20 miles my arm gets a little sore. Looking into vests, but I'm a big guy (6'4" 225 lbs) and would need one that fits. The problem is I don't have anywhere close that sells them and would have to buy online (checking Dicks sporting goods but not optimistic). They seem pretty adjustable. The race is a 10 mile loop so I really only need one that holds 1 bottle and a pocket for food/salt tabs. I'm assuming they don't chafe? I'm in FL and it's probably going to get warm and I may not have a shirt, would that be ill advised?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

2014-04-01 12:53 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Subject: RE: Educate me on hydration vest

I use the Camelbak Ultra LR.

Has the bladder around the lower back instead of carried higher like a lot of vests/packs. (some like it some don't, I train with a waist bottle belt so I'm used to the weight being there instead of the more traditional pack).

It has a 2 ltr bladder and plenty of room for other nutrition and other necessities of an ultra.

It's super adjustable, not only the waist and chest straps, but the shoulder straps at both ends and the bladder has it's own tension strap.

2014-04-01 3:33 PM
in reply to: dewybuck

User image

Queen BTich
Oh, a 10mi loop is nice! How many aid stations? This is the exact kind of course I wouldn't want a pack. I switch the bottle every couple miles to the other arm, it really helps with fatigue. I'd wear a race belt (iFitness or similar) for the little things like extra gels and endurolytes, etc and pick up anything I need from a grab bag at the start/finish of each loop! ........but, I like the UltrAspire BR and of packs. I wear mine with singlets and it doesn't chafe me. Another option is to have both for the race. Start with the handheld and if/when you get tired switch to the vest. Another "perk" of the multiple loop courses!
2014-04-01 7:47 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I kinda wondered about that. I'm not keen on the camelback idea because I use Infinit for most of my nutritional needs and wouldn't want it in the bladder. Ideally I'd like a vest for 2 bottles, 1 Infinit and 1 something else (water, gatorade, water/coke mix, you get the idea). I have a Nathan handheld which could easily get me through with a zippered pouch for extras. The course has 4 aid stations at every 2.5 miles. I might give the handheld another shot with my 20+ miler this weekend.
2014-04-01 8:35 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
The Nathan HPL 020 seems to be the bests selling (seems everyone I pass is wearing one) hydration vest, I believe it comes in multiple sizes.

Salomon has a good line with the ski lab products. I personally run with an Osprey rev 6- it's only got a 1.5L bladder but I tend to not drink much or just stop at a local stream.

That's really all I can offer, my local runing stores (runners roost, Boulder running Co, Newton Lab) all carry some form of hydration vest. I would definetly suggest trying them on if you can find a local retailer.
2014-04-01 8:43 PM

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by rjrankin83I kinda wondered about that. I'm not keen on the camelback idea because I use Infinit for most of my nutritional needs and wouldn't want it in the bladder. Ideally I'd like a vest for 2 bottles, 1 Infinit and 1 something else (water, gatorade, water/coke mix, you get the idea). I have a Nathan handheld which could easily get me through with a zippered pouch for extras. The course has 4 aid stations at every 2.5 miles. I might give the handheld another shot with my 20+ miler this weekend.
That's not far at all. I'd really try to do the handheld for those distances. I use the Nathan ones too. However my husband has an Ultimate direction with 2 bottles in the front that he really likes. You can check that out. I just get used to the handhelds...in a race, my arm is usually the last thing I worry about. Just have to deal with discomfort in those distances!

2015-01-12 10:17 AM

User image

Pro

OK- I'm gonna' revive this zombie thread.  My well used Nathan HPL20 has served me well but after 1000mi the straps are coming apart.  It's only got a few more months left to it.  As with anything, the more you use and rely on your equipment, the more particular you get.  The HPL20 is good, but it has some small issues.  I won't go into them here.  

So- here's what I've figured out that I like in a vest.  I like a 2L water pouch in the back.  I find it far easier to drink out of tube when running, than to pull a bottle from a front pouch and drink from a bottle- as you cannot look where you are stepping when drinking from a bottle.  That said- the option to add a front bottle or two to that rear 2L is essential for long/hot runs.  2L seems to last me only 4hrs- and not all of my runs have water.  (I live in the desert.  The mountains are big, rugged, it's hot and there is NO water).  So being able to add another 20 or 30 oz on the front of the pouch to the 70oz on the back is a good feature.  the other benefits to having a separate bottle or two in the front is that you can have water in the rear, and sports drink in a bottle.  Or- in the case that your bladder breaks... you still have a little water left in the bottles.  

Oh- you need all this water for training.  Race day usually has water stops every 5 to 10 miles- so this isn't an issue.  However- taking the pack off and re-filling the bladder takes much longer at the aid station than filling a front (or hand-held) bottle.  So, what's best for race day isn't the same as what you might want for (unsupported) training day, when you don't have aid stations and drop bags.

It seems there are high end running vests out there that have bottles in the front and storage in the back.  UltraAspire/UltimateDirection ones for instance.  I guess they're for someone else (like Scott Jurek and Anton Krupika).

Now- in addition to carrying water, they need to be comfortable, secure (not bouncy), and have room for other stuff.  They shouldn't be backpacks- or you'll just take too much stuff with you.  I like a lot of separate pockets, some of which need to be easily accessible when running.  Front pockets for my Shot Bloks/Gels, Cliff Bars, cell phone, and maybe a place to stash my small knit gloves.  Oh, it would be great to have a little unsealed, elastic pocket to shove empty wrappers.

in the back- I need a spot to easily shove or secure a lightweight shell/jacket.  and, a little more storage space for a headlamp, extra socks, more food, maybe sunscreen, lip balm, blister care.  

I did a little searching last night and I think the Nathan Vapor Cloud (Shadow for females) is a pretty fully featured unit that has everything I want.  Although it seems to have the same mesh shoulder strap material that's tearing apart on my HPL20.  http://www.nathansports.com/hydration/race-vests/vaporcloud 

I haven't figured out which Salomon pack meets my requirements- if any.  their ones with front pockets seem to be really long/deep stretchy pockets uniquely for their water bottles- which means they're not good for anything else.  And their bladders tend to be 1.5L- I think.  

Open to other product suggestions? Or general thoughts.

2015-01-14 3:51 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

Looked at some Salomons.  Checked out all the Ultimate Directions (which we nice, light- but confused me).  Ended up getting the aforementioned Nathan VaporCloud.  Seems like an amazingly well thought-out design.  Roomy, yet snug.  Lotsa' accessible pockets and expandable storage space.  Sinch straps for when your bladder starts to empty, so it raises up the water.  All very cool.  

can't wait to use it.  Only problem was that they only had the grey one, not the obnoxious electric blue and yellow color.  darn.    Bright colors are faster.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Educate me on hydration vest Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hydration vest/pak...front or back?

Started by tigers75
Views: 3621 Posts: 9

2014-03-16 5:40 PM Justin86

Hydration Pack suggestions

Started by jdbadger
Views: 1595 Posts: 5

2011-11-02 2:21 PM Focker

hydration options

Started by neweyes
Views: 1805 Posts: 8

2011-09-02 9:20 AM Steve in IL

hydration options

Started by neweyes
Views: 494 Posts: 1

2011-08-28 6:09 PM neweyes

Nathan Race Vests

Started by tribullbutter
Views: 2510 Posts: 6

2010-03-18 11:15 AM SCamp07
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.

date : March 21, 2005
author : jduscio24
comments : 0
Hydration and glycogen is the key to success in any sport. If you’re missing one, your game is going to suffer tremendously.
date : February 28, 2005
author : AMSSM
It is difficult to replace water losses during exercise. The following principles will help prevent dehydration during endurance training and racing.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.
date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.

date : October 17, 2004
Well the day is finally here. I don't believe a single workout has gone by in these past 9 years where the idea of being at the start line of the Ironman Hawaii didn't creep into my head.
date : October 10, 2004
So far the taper is feeling good and I'm getting that itchy feeling to race. I know this will grow even stronger when I get to the island and see my friends and PBN Team members.  

date : October 3, 2004
Definitely glad this weekend is out of the way as 145 miles of cycling and 27 miles of running in two days is a fair amount.