General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-08-02 8:45 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship : Official Thread
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by alltom1

12 weeks from tomorrow, folks!

How is everyone doing?  In gear, getting in gear, getting ready to get started??

Does anyone have any "concrete" info on the tides for this year?  As in, are the rumors of a crazy fast swim (especially for the Half) true?

Here's the NOAA chart for race day: http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/3631.html?y=2014&m=10&...

So, I'm no expert, but that looks pretty significant for the Full peeps!

It looks like us Half folks with an 8:30am start (for just the first wave, and as late as 9:25 for the last wave) will only be catching the tail end of the incoming tide, however...  some of the later waves might actually be at slack tide, then?

In any case, it's a much larger tide than last year - 4.59 feet vs 3.98 feet.  Six inches higher is a lot of water that has to flow in.

In 2011, I went 44 mins for the full and I'm a mutt swimmer. The chart looked just like the one for this year...

Yeah, folks doing the full are going to get lots of help. People in the last few waves of the half(like me), not so much. Que sera, sera...

Good luck to all with the hard part of the training arc..

2014-08-06 12:30 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Elite
Cleveland

12 weeks from tomorrow, folks!

How is everyone doing?  In gear, getting in gear, getting ready to get started??

Does anyone have any "concrete" info on the tides for this year?  As in, are the rumors of a crazy fast swim (especially for the Half) true?

Here's the NOAA chart for race day: http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/3631.html?y=2014&m...

So, I'm no expert, but that looks pretty significant for the Full peeps!

It looks like us Half folks with an 8:30am start (for just the first wave, and as late as 9:25 for the last wave) will only be catching the tail end of the incoming tide, however...  some of the later waves might actually be at slack tide, then?

In any case, it's a much larger tide than last year - 4.59 feet vs 3.98 feet.  Six inches higher is a lot of water that has to flow in.

In 2011, I went 44 mins for the full and I'm a mutt swimmer. The chart looked just like the one for this year... Yeah, folks doing the full are going to get lots of help. People in the last few waves of the half(like me), not so much. Que sera, sera... Good luck to all with the hard part of the training arc..

Hopefully, the wave order will be the same as last year, and thus I'll be one of the first ones (M40-44) and still get some help from the tide.

I did the Full last year and got pretty much no help at all. It'd suck to get no help two years in a row, heehee

Training... these last 9 weeks before taper are going to be rough. I get exhausted just thinking about it at times.  Thankfully, next week is a recovery week!

2014-08-08 6:56 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Veteran
I'm in for the half distance. This is my first half ever, and as of right now, my first race longer than a sprint!! I am signed up for an olympic distance in September (Kiawah) as a warm-up race.

As for training, I had been training up for a half distance tri in the spring, but I got discouraged because I couldn't get enough time on the bike. I backed out of it in March, and restarted my training plan June 1st. I still struggle to get enough hours on the bike.

Take this weekend for example. I have a 45 mile ride with a group that I could do, or 40 on my own. I am leaning toward the 40 miles on my own for a couple of reasons, one of them is practicing aero position. I'm nervous about aero.

I am doing a plan that my coach put together - he has trained me for a couple of marathons. I would say that training is hovering around 6 to 8 hours per week. I also switch workouts around between days and occasionally skip a swim. I also go slightly "over" on the runs, because it is what helps keep me sane during the work week.

2014-08-09 9:50 AM
in reply to: melanfi

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by melanfi

I'm in for the half distance. This is my first half ever, and as of right now, my first race longer than a sprint!! I am signed up for an olympic distance in September (Kiawah) as a warm-up race.

As for training, I had been training up for a half distance tri in the spring, but I got discouraged because I couldn't get enough time on the bike. I backed out of it in March, and restarted my training plan June 1st. I still struggle to get enough hours on the bike.

Take this weekend for example. I have a 45 mile ride with a group that I could do, or 40 on my own. I am leaning toward the 40 miles on my own for a couple of reasons, one of them is practicing aero position. I'm nervous about aero.

I am doing a plan that my coach put together - he has trained me for a couple of marathons. I would say that training is hovering around 6 to 8 hours per week. I also switch workouts around between days and occasionally skip a swim. I also go slightly "over" on the runs, because it is what helps keep me sane during the work week.

Just my $.02usd, but I would suggest the 40 miler in aero instead of the group ride. Getting acclimated to being in your aero bars is worth way more than a few extra miles of sitting in on a group ride. Your coach knows best, tho...
2014-08-09 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by melanfi

Just my $.02usd, but I would suggest the 40 miler in aero instead of the group ride. Getting acclimated to being in your aero bars is worth way more than a few extra miles of sitting in on a group ride. Your coach knows best, tho...

Dang it, I should have checked this thread before I left this morning I ended up doing the 45 with the group. It was fast and went well, but yeah, I've got to schedule in a longer solo ride once a week, too.
2014-08-26 7:34 AM

User image

Lexington, South Carolina
Hi folks,

I have signed up for the Half and this is my first half. I am super excited but also am little nervous about what to expect.

Seems like a few of you have done this race before and I had question about the wetsuit.

I have a half sleeve wetsuit which I have used in sprint races in the past (with water temp low as 57 F with a compression top underneath in one race) for the last 3-4 years and am very comfortable with it.

I am trying to figure out if I need to rent a full wet suit for this event.

Any thoughts/advise would be great. thanks and good luck with training and the race.

Thanks!

2014-08-27 12:31 PM
in reply to: sinnerman

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by sinnerman

Hi folks,

I have signed up for the Half and this is my first half. I am super excited but also am little nervous about what to expect.

Seems like a few of you have done this race before and I had question about the wetsuit.

I have a half sleeve wetsuit which I have used in sprint races in the past (with water temp low as 57 F with a compression top underneath in one race) for the last 3-4 years and am very comfortable with it.

I am trying to figure out if I need to rent a full wet suit for this event.

Any thoughts/advise would be great. thanks and good luck with training and the race.

Thanks!

If you got through the race in 57' without any trouble, you should be fine in a sleeveless at B2B. While the air temp at the start last year was pretty cold, I don't remember the water temp ever being colder than high 60's the years I've been there. I'm pretty sure there are always swimmers in less than full wetsuits and I'm not aware of anyone saying they had a problem. My .02USD, YMMV.

For the record, I will say I think B2B is a perfect race for your first half...Good luck with your training.
2014-08-27 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by sinnerman Hi folks, I have signed up for the Half and this is my first half. I am super excited but also am little nervous about what to expect. Seems like a few of you have done this race before and I had question about the wetsuit. I have a half sleeve wetsuit which I have used in sprint races in the past (with water temp low as 57 F with a compression top underneath in one race) for the last 3-4 years and am very comfortable with it. I am trying to figure out if I need to rent a full wet suit for this event. Any thoughts/advise would be great. thanks and good luck with training and the race. Thanks!
If you got through the race in 57' without any trouble, you should be fine in a sleeveless at B2B. While the air temp at the start last year was pretty cold, I don't remember the water temp ever being colder than high 60's the years I've been there. I'm pretty sure there are always swimmers in less than full wetsuits and I'm not aware of anyone saying they had a problem. My .02USD, YMMV. For the record, I will say I think B2B is a perfect race for your first half...Good luck with your training.

I've always worn a sleeveless with no issue.  The cold comes on the bike

2014-08-28 12:52 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Just finished IM Lousiville and signed up for B2B

any recommendations for swim booties or caps for the race without spending a lot money? What kept you warm?

2014-08-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by GODAWGS Just finished IM Lousiville and signed up for B2B any recommendations for swim booties or caps for the race without spending a lot money? What kept you warm?

I've done the B2B half once and the full twice and not needed swim booties.  In fact, I didn't feel the need to add to my wetsuit collection and just used my sleeveless.  It's a fair bit of distance (400 yards?) across a parking lot and roadway from swim exit to the transition area.  The booties may help with that.

People with booties, do they help on the run to T1?  

For me, the cold is not in the swim but on the bike.  If you don't want to wear a vest, get a one or two gallon zip lock back and shove it between your top and your skin and drop it at an aid station when you no longer need it.

2014-08-28 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

2014-08-28 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by GODAWGS Just finished IM Lousiville and signed up for B2B any recommendations for swim booties or caps for the race without spending a lot money? What kept you warm?

I've done the B2B half once and the full twice and not needed swim booties.  In fact, I didn't feel the need to add to my wetsuit collection and just used my sleeveless.  It's a fair bit of distance (400 yards?) across a parking lot and roadway from swim exit to the transition area.  The booties may help with that.

People with booties, do they help on the run to T1?  

For me, the cold is not in the swim but on the bike.  If you don't want to wear a vest, get a one or two gallon zip lock back and shove it between your top and your skin and drop it at an aid station when you no longer need it.

Congrats on your day at IMLou...

Only a very small number of people will want/need a cap or booties. Unless you're extremely sensitive to cold, I would not bother with them..

In re. the question of the run to T1: I had only ever gone barefoot before last year but a friend of mine said he always stashed a pair of flip-flops just past the swim exit ladders, so I tried it. BIG help, totally worth the three seconds I spent getting them on. I was really surprised how much faster I was able to move. As was mentioned above, it's 1/4mi. or so to the bike racks and a bit of a rag on cold feet.

Are you doing the full at B2B? I've never tried two IM's that close together...let us know how your training is going.
2014-08-29 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the feedback....Yes doing the Fulll B2B

Took off this week and may bike some this weekend and start back on training next week.
2014-09-02 12:28 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Agree with everyone on the cap & booties - you shouldn't need them.  The place they might be most beneficial is when waiting to get in the water. The morning air temp last year was 37F, which outright sucks when all you have is flip flops.   

They had propane heaters at the swim start, but they were barely enough to stave off the chills.  The water itself will be fine - I'm pretty sure the swim was the warmest part of the day last year with a temp of like 71F vs an air temp of 63F. The only extra gear I wore during the race, however, was arm warmers which were quite helpful early on the bike and after the sun went down on the run.

If this year is anything like last year, you'll notice quickly that there is a pretty significant temperature difference once you get out of the sunlight; shady areas will definitely let you cool off, and when night hits, it will cool down quickly out there on the run, which should allow you to keep moving a little bit better.

I would suggest that if you think you might want booties/cap, bring them with you and get in the water the day before for about 10-15 minutes to gauge how you feel.  I'd bet that you will decide against them, but it's better to have them and not want them than vice versa.

2014-09-02 2:38 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
2014-09-04 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

2014-09-07 1:14 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
I'm suuuuuuuper sensitive to cold in my extremities, and I thought the water felt delightful last year. I did, however, spend the entire bike freezing my dang feet off -- so bike shoe toe covers may be more useful than swim booties!

(I'm in for the half again. LOVE this race.)
2014-10-01 3:54 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
So since we're less than thirty days out, I guess it's time to start thinking about race day execution rather than getting through the daily training slog that leads up to a 70.3 or 140.6. Right now is the heavy lifting part of the training arc for most of us but here are a few thoughts to act as a diversion.

I've been to B2B every year - four Halfs and this will be my third Full(I'm changing my registration here at the last minute - I'll be the most undertrained guy in the field!) and I've seen the race go through some changes - mostly subtle, some are more noticeable, but there are few truisms that I think have held throughout. For your racing consideration:

- On the swim, you want to strart sighting off of the SeaPath Marina Condos as soon as you make the left turn towards the Marina. It's the tallest building on that shore and is visible as soon as you make that left and marks the point of the water exit.

-By now I'm sure everyone knows all about the long trot from the swim ladders to T1. Like most people, I'd just done it barefoot and while it's a little painful, nothing too awful. Last year, one of my race-mates said he'd been leaving flip-flops at the swim exit and suggested giving it a try. Holy Cow - that really made a difference. Much faster to T1 and much less hurty. Small thing but the small things definitely accumulate in a day that long..

- On the bike, we ride on I-140 for about 15miles I think...It's a two lane interstate and we ride in the left lane closest to the median. Orange traffic cones are present continuously and will be on your right as we ride past. They are usually set about a foot inside the white stripes, though, and that means they are cutting into our riding space. Those cones have no give whatsoever - DO NOT CLIP the cones! Every year, someone or several someones go down after making incidental contact with their wheel or a pedal and it's not pretty - best advice I can give is to give the cones a nice wide berth so that when the wind blast from a car/truck going past in the right lane makes you wobble a little, you won't find yourself right on top of a cone. Again, I see wipeouts on this stretch every year.

- To wit the comments above, it is really important to call out 'on your left!' when you're passing on this stretch. There is not that much room to work with because of the cones that encroach into our lane, and when cyclists start to pass each other three across, it gets kind of interesting. Ounce of prevention on the way to a perfect race day...

- The very end of the ride takes us over the river and into downtown and I read on Slowtwitch that the grating on the bridge has been changed since last year's race and not for the better(this is from a Wilmington local - I haven't seen it myself). Regardless, the best approach to this stretch is to try and approach with as much buffer between yourself and the rider in front of you as you can get. It won't be completely in your control but if did you go down, you would probably prefer it to be your own fault and not because someone else didn't know how to ride their bike. The RD will probably have some comments about the changes to the bridge at the race meeting on Friday.

- For folks doing the full, stash a long-sleeve in your run special needs bag if you're going to be on the course after dark - it does get kind of cool once the sun goes down.

That's about all I can think of just this moment but I'll speak up if I can think of any more pearls of wisdom about B2B. It's a great race and I know all of my BT mates are going to have a great day!
2014-10-01 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So since we're less than thirty days out, I guess it's time to start thinking about race day execution rather than getting through the daily training slog that leads up to a 70.3 or 140.6. Right now is the heavy lifting part of the training arc for most of us but here are a few thoughts to act as a diversion.

I've been to B2B every year - four Halfs and this will be my third Full(I'm changing my registration here at the last minute - I'll be the most undertrained guy in the field!) and I've seen the race go through some changes - mostly subtle, some are more noticeable, but there are few truisms that I think have held throughout. For your racing consideration:

- On the swim, you want to strart sighting off of the SeaPath Marina Condos as soon as you make the left turn towards the Marina. It's the tallest building on that shore and is visible as soon as you make that left and marks the point of the water exit.

-By now I'm sure everyone knows all about the long trot from the swim ladders to T1. Like most people, I'd just done it barefoot and while it's a little painful, nothing too awful. Last year, one of my race-mates said he'd been leaving flip-flops at the swim exit and suggested giving it a try. Holy Cow - that really made a difference. Much faster to T1 and much less hurty. Small thing but the small things definitely accumulate in a day that long..

- On the bike, we ride on I-140 for about 15miles I think...It's a two lane interstate and we ride in the left lane closest to the median. Orange traffic cones are present continuously and will be on your right as we ride past. They are usually set about a foot inside the white stripes, though, and that means they are cutting into our riding space. Those cones have no give whatsoever - DO NOT CLIP the cones! Every year, someone or several someones go down after making incidental contact with their wheel or a pedal and it's not pretty - best advice I can give is to give the cones a nice wide berth so that when the wind blast from a car/truck going past in the right lane makes you wobble a little, you won't find yourself right on top of a cone. Again, I see wipeouts on this stretch every year.

- To wit the comments above, it is really important to call out 'on your left!' when you're passing on this stretch. There is not that much room to work with because of the cones that encroach into our lane, and when cyclists start to pass each other three across, it gets kind of interesting. Ounce of prevention on the way to a perfect race day...

- The very end of the ride takes us over the river and into downtown and I read on Slowtwitch that the grating on the bridge has been changed since last year's race and not for the better(this is from a Wilmington local - I haven't seen it myself). Regardless, the best approach to this stretch is to try and approach with as much buffer between yourself and the rider in front of you as you can get. It won't be completely in your control but if did you go down, you would probably prefer it to be your own fault and not because someone else didn't know how to ride their bike. The RD will probably have some comments about the changes to the bridge at the race meeting on Friday.

- For folks doing the full, stash a long-sleeve in your run special needs bag if you're going to be on the course after dark - it does get kind of cool once the sun goes down.

That's about all I can think of just this moment but I'll speak up if I can think of any more pearls of wisdom about B2B. It's a great race and I know all of my BT mates are going to have a great day!

Thanks for taking the time to post the tips. This is my first B2B race so it helps.

2014-10-02 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
My first time, too, so thank you Alltom1 :-)
2014-10-03 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
X2 on stashing the long shirt for the run. On my second lap in 2010 it felt like a little piece of heaven to put that thing on since I had chafed in my wetsuit and the tri top rubbed that same spot. If you don't use it, you don't use it...no harm done. It can get very chilly in the evenings in late Oct so just be prepared. Other tips? Don't miss the turn from the full/half combined course to the half course if you are doing the half. I did that once...it sucks when you realize you just went a few miles out of your way and now have to backtrack. The race is awesome though- love the atmosphere and the run route. I have a video of the swim start of the full if anyone is interested. PM me and I will try get it to you. It is on my facebook page...not sure how to put a public link up here.

2014-10-05 4:19 PM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Extreme Veteran

My family is coming to B2B. Any events or activities for the family during the event?
2014-10-19 3:33 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Good post, Alltom1!

I've raced B2B the last 2 years...a half, a full, and the half again this year. I'd listen to the advice on the grates. They can be slippery (my back tire slipped a few times last year), but if you slow down a little, get out of aero, and pay attention to the volunteers and your surroundings, you'll be fine.

The weather is looking good, too!

Time to get it on!
2014-10-24 6:04 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
Have a great race kids- stay safe and rock a cool PR along the way! Jealous to not be a part of it this year. Remind me in April of how I feel now and I will sign up for 2015! :-)
2014-10-24 6:04 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
Have a great race kids- stay safe and rock a cool PR along the way! Jealous to not be a part of it this year. Remind me in April of how I feel now and I will sign up for 2015! :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Myrtle Beach Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by Experior
Views: 2087 Posts: 4

2010-07-12 2:16 PM Skippy74

Beach to Battleship HIM : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by Chaderbox
Views: 26027 Posts: 260

2010-11-16 1:37 PM jmkizer

Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by DanielG
Views: 72994 Posts: 800

2011-06-13 7:33 PM Oldteen

Beach to Battleship HIM : Official Thread

Started by carteroak
Views: 4137 Posts: 18

2009-11-05 12:09 PM love2tri

Beach 2 Battleship : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Skippy74
Views: 45330 Posts: 562

2010-01-05 12:55 PM alltom1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.