Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any creative chefs around? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-02 2:31 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Any creative chefs around?

Long story that I will spare you the details of but I am trying to find a good tasting red sauce substitute with the major hiccup of not actually using any tomatoes or peppers, artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives. I have tried a Nomato recipe using roasted veggies including 1/2 of a beet for color - the family revolted due to the beet. The color was really pretty but no one would eat it. I also tried a sauce made from pomegranate juice & chicken broth, carrots with oregano, garlic powder and some other spices which was o.k. but brown.

Maybe this is hopeless but just thought I would check with all of you creative people before I give up!

2014-04-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Any creative chefs around?

What if you pureed roasted carrots? And then, to make it more red, boil some beets in some water. But don't use the beets - just use the water to add color to the carrots. It won't add beet taste. I have never tried this, so I have no idea how thick/thin the sauce would be.

2014-04-02 2:48 PM

User image

Austin, Texas
I would echo what doxie said about the roasted carrots and also add maybe including a roasted butternut squash. Good luck!
2014-04-02 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Um...isn't the idea of "red sauce" to be tomato based?  

There are some beetles that if you crush the shell, you'll get a red powder...

2014-04-02 3:26 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by doxie

What if you pureed roasted carrots? And then, to make it more red, boil some beets in some water. But don't use the beets - just use the water to add color to the carrots. It won't add beet taste. I have never tried this, so I have no idea how thick/thin the sauce would be.

Good idea! Or I have a can of beets, maybe just a touch of the beet juice would add a pretty color but no taste.

Ok, I won't give up yet.

2014-04-02 3:27 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by McFuzz

Yes, this is true. We are testing out some food sensitivity issues so no tomatoes for now. Hopefully this is just temporary.

2014-04-02 4:03 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by trigal38

Yes, this is true. We are testing out some food sensitivity issues so no tomatoes for now. Hopefully this is just temporary.

Ok...red sauce is usually for pasta or pizza.  Have you considered pesto, garlic, white, something else?  I don't know if vodka sauce has tomato in it or not, it's usually pink, so I think it might.  

2014-04-02 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4975547

User image

New user
vodka sauce is tomato based. it turns pink from cream.

pesto!! basil, garlic, pecorino romano or parmesan cheese,olive oil, salt and pepper, everyone into the blender and bingo. Skip the pine nuts many recipes recommend - expensive and not enough bang for the buck flavorwise.

it's not red though. may i ask why the non-tomato sauce has to be red?
2014-04-02 7:35 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

New user
I am wondering what pomegranate seeds puréed would look like. Also red berries puréed mixed in with sweet potato or pumpkin purée.
Onion carrotts garlic etc to savory it up.
2014-04-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Pro

If it has to be red then it is what it is......but if not, we use a lot of Pesto on Pasta.  My kids love it and have been eating it since they were your kid's ages.  We make our own.....olive oil, garlic, basil, and pine nuts.  It's green, so obviously it's not what you asked for......but my kids will destroy some whole wheat pasta with a pesto topping.

2014-04-02 8:45 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by braciole vodka sauce is tomato based. it turns pink from cream. pesto!! basil, garlic, pecorino romano or parmesan cheese,olive oil, salt and pepper, everyone into the blender and bingo. Skip the pine nuts many recipes recommend - expensive and not enough bang for the buck flavorwise. it's not red though. may i ask why the non-tomato sauce has to be red?

Because I am trying to accommodate the palate of a 6 year old who eats with her eyes . She is really good about trying new things, especially if she helps cook it. But she misses ketchup and she is used to seeing red sauce on her pizza. She has traded in a lot of her favorite foods over the last couple of months. I just want to try to give her some comfort with her meals by providing her eyes with something that looks like what she is used to.

We have tried Alfredo, I didn't do a very good job with that I'm afraid! I have not tried pesto. I'll give that a shot. That is one of those things I think she would be more willing to eat if I let her help me make it.

2014-04-02 9:25 PM

User image

Bronze member

I experimented tonight and this turned out pretty good really.

Steamed carrots pureed in the ninja with a touch of beet juice from a can of beets (for the color).

Sauteed onion, garlic and added some parsley then the carrot puree. Added some vinegar, bit of brown sugar, pomegranate juice because it was really thick, salt.... I think that is all. Maybe I should have written this down sooner . It is the consistency of tomato paste, very mellow flavor but good and I can't taste the beets at all. I'm not going to add anything else to this right now but maybe use it as a starter for other things (cook meatballs in it, make pizza sauce) or use it in recipes that call for ketchup. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep em coming and I won't forget about pesto I promise! Like I said, she/we try new things, I'm just attempting to provide something similar to what she is used to.

2014-04-03 6:42 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Yum!  

Alfredo is very rich (but very good).  

We've done a carbonara sauce too, which is a little olive oil and a couple of raw eggs stirred into the hot pasta (we've usually had bacon pieces and you can toss in olives, peppers, and green onion.  

2014-04-03 6:46 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Master
MidWest

Yum!  

Alfredo is very rich (but very good).  

We've done a carbonara sauce too, which is a little olive oil and a couple of raw eggs stirred into the hot pasta (we've usually had bacon pieces and you can toss in olives, peppers, and green onion.  

I still haven't had a carbonara sauce that I like better than yours!

To the OP, I'm enjoying the ideas given to you!

2014-04-03 6:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have a non-dairy, nut based alfredo sauce recipe somewhere - from my playing around with paleo - its not too bad - i think its like unsalted cashews ground up, with various seasonings and then either water or some kind of brother (I use a mix of water/chicken broth)

ETA - do you tweet or anything like that - because there are a lot of chefs from like Hell's Kitchen etc who are active and respond - maybe one of them has some ideas

Edited by austhokie 2014-04-03 6:50 AM
2014-04-03 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4975547

User image

New user
impressive. you'd do good on Cutthroat Kitchen or Chopped.

2014-04-03 9:10 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Steamed carrots pureed in the ninja with a touch of beet juice from a can of beets (for the color).

Sauteed onion, garlic and added some parsley then the carrot puree. Added some vinegar, bit of brown sugar, pomegranate juice because it was really thick, salt.... I think that is all. Maybe I should have written this down sooner . It is the consistency of tomato paste, very mellow flavor but good and I can't taste the beets at all. I'm not going to add anything else to this right now but maybe use it as a starter for other things (cook meatballs in it, make pizza sauce) or use it in recipes that call for ketchup. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep em coming and I won't forget about pesto I promise! Like I said, she/we try new things, I'm just attempting to provide something similar to what she is used to.

Looks like. Good substitute. Get your Italian on by adding basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, or a touch of sage. I'll give this a shot sometime just because If I couldn't cook I'd go crazy. I'm like a mad scientist in the kitchen! My girlfriend freaks out when she hears when in some of the things I've tried...but they usually turn out pretty good!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (149KB - 0 downloads)
2014-04-03 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

I'm glad! Looks pretty tasty.

2014-04-03 10:30 AM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I can't recall it from memory so I stole an example for the net.

I make a red bell pepper alfredo sauce that is really good and may have enough of the "appearance" of tomato sauce to help in this instance.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-red-pepper-cream-sauce/

2014-04-04 7:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Kido

I make a red bell pepper alfredo sauce that is really good and may have enough of the "appearance" of tomato sauce to help in this instance.

that looks really good - i'm going to have to try it when i'm allowed dairy again...since I don't think Almond Milk will cut it...haha! although coconut milk might...hmmm

ETA - looks like with some tweaking I could make this dairy free - yay for kitchen experiments

Edited by austhokie 2014-04-04 7:16 AM
2014-04-04 8:38 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by austhokie
Originally posted by Kido

that looks really good - i'm going to have to try it when i'm allowed dairy again...since I don't think Almond Milk will cut it...haha! although coconut milk might...hmmm ETA - looks like with some tweaking I could make this dairy free - yay for kitchen experiments

Agree this looks really yummy!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any creative chefs around? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Any creative cooks around here? Pages: 1 2

Started by trigal38
Views: 2315 Posts: 33

2013-05-23 5:51 PM trigal38

Top Chef Alert!!! Padma's back

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1270 Posts: 13

2008-11-13 11:39 AM condorman

The Chef Jeff Project

Started by Bripod
Views: 501 Posts: 4

2008-11-04 10:55 AM Artemis

Speaking of food, Top Chef anyone?

Started by ChrisM
Views: 423 Posts: 2

2006-11-02 7:11 AM Scout7

Calling all male chefs!!! Pages: 1 2

Started by Downunderman
Views: 1870 Posts: 46

2005-09-23 11:44 AM jf3boardman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 11, 2004
author : econway
comments : 1
The goal of this section is to give others ideas on workouts for specific purposes.