General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Triathlete moving from Singapore to NY Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-02 7:10 PM

Subject: Beginner Triathlete moving from Singapore to NY
I am a beginner triathlete. I have done a couple of sprints and plan to do a Standard Distance in May in Bintan near Singapore. I am moving in August to NY, and I expect to work in Downtown Manhattan, and live somewhere sensible for my family (wife + 8 year old son).

I am looking for recommendations on what would be a good place to live so I can train with the goal of doing an Ironman by September 2015. Which place in the TriState area has the best triathlon training ecosystem (clubs / biking / meet ups / swimming pools and open water)? I am really afraid of losing the momentum I have built up, and want to get into the groove right away. I may need a couple of months to get a US drivers license and car. So, if any recommendations for places with good public transport, or bikability would be really helpful.

If you have any club recommendations or training groups that I can try out, that would be awesome. I will be traveling to NYC in April to find an apartment, and I would like to try out a training session or two, if that is feasible.

2014-04-03 6:12 AM
in reply to: rajenprabhu

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Beginner Triathlete moving from Singapore to NY
The greater NYC is not inexpensive by any means, so that may be a factor when selecting a place to live. In general, it's easier living outside of the city to find a good place to train. NJ, NY state or CT may offer good places to live and train. Just keep in mind that most of the time, you will have traffic to contend with, so expect that part of the ride will be more of a transportation than training, once you get a little further out, riding is amazing and you will find lots of cyclists/triathletes. Even if you had a license and a car, you would still want to commute to Manhattan via public transportation if at all possible. It can take you forever driving (traffic is very HEAVY in the morning and evening, but never light even in off hours) and parking is a nightmare and very costly.
2014-04-03 9:07 AM

that's a big question you're asking...

There's alot of tri clubs in the NY metro area, and a number of races within close proximity to NYC. There are races right in Manhattan, and some great races in the suburbs that you can get to fairly easily via pubic transportation/regional trains. Asphalt Green in NY has an active tri club, and they are right in town.

I live in Westchester County, just to the north of NYC - it's about a 35-45 min commuter train ride away from Manhattan. Alot of folks commute into NYC from my area. And there a number of really active tri clubs in Westchester and training options in the area, including open water swims. Three clubs that come to mind area: Rye Tri Club, Greenwich Tri Club, and B-Athletic Multisport. All three are very active and focus on all distance races. And there are other clubs too.

If you're job is downtown, ie. close to the southern part of Manhattan, then it might make sense to live NJ and take the commuter rail from NJ into Manhattan. I'm sure there are alot of clubs and training options in NJ, but since I don't live there, I just don't know where. I'm sure there are plenty of folks from NJ here on the message boards who can help you with that.

Good luck with your move, and welcome to the area.

BTW, which IM in 2015 are you targetting?
2014-04-04 3:18 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Thank you very much. This is great advice.
2014-04-04 8:30 AM

Originally posted by rajenprabhu

Thank you very much. This is great advice.

send me a PM if you have some more specific questions. All the best.
2014-04-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: 0

Welcome to NYC.

I'm not part of any clubs or training groups, but if helpful at all, I'll let you know my situation and how I've made it work for my training:

I work downtown, lucky enough to have a gym/showers at work, but there's a new Asphalt Green gym with a pool in Battery Park City/downtown.

I live in Brooklyn, next to Prospect Park that has an active bike scene with another gym/pool down the block.

I run to work for my morning commute 3-4 times a week with a trail running backpack with my work clothes inside. Distances/routes can vary from 4.2 to 15 miles by taking detours around the park or going up the running path up the Westside Highway (it's a great way to start the day).

I ride to work on the other days with doing loops around Prospect Park and Central Park before parking the bike at work.

I swim at the pool on my block 2-3 times a week before either run or bike in. For open water swims, I go down to Coney Island during warm months. There's an open water swimming club that meets there regularly.

Long ride across the Brooklyn Bridge, up the Westside Highway, across the GW Bridge and up 9W on Saturday morning before the family wakes up.

This schedule has allowed me to get my training in during the mornings and keep the evenings open to spend with wife and toddler.

PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by strawdog18 2014-04-04 8:52 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Triathlete moving from Singapore to NY Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Since this is BEGINNER triathlete, a great article for the true beginner

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1385 Posts: 4

2013-07-05 9:07 PM TriAya

Beginner Triathlete Wallpaper Drive

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 2840 Posts: 13

2006-07-06 12:29 PM Mottyl

Define Beginner Triathlete

Started by madcow
Views: 1043 Posts: 4

2006-04-23 2:53 PM madcow

Beginner Triathlete- i need a bike!

Started by kathrynmoos
Views: 2005 Posts: 21

2006-01-13 9:09 AM running2far

Beginner Triathlete Wish List

Started by amanda110
Views: 1047 Posts: 13

2005-04-20 11:17 PM Ken
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.
date : July 9, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
Trixie speaks of how she made her way into endurance sports and also gives some interesting insight on common runner's mistakes.

date : May 19, 2008
After getting talked into a Marathon, losing 100lbs, TriAya finds her way into the triathlon world.
date : November 1, 2007
From a cycling background to triathlete. A podcast with one of the first BT members about how triathlons allow him that daily satisfaction.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.