General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri athletic wear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-02 8:36 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: Tri athletic wear
I'm getting ready to get my hands on some tri shorts. I'm curious as to what options someone larger has. The team I'm on is having uniforms made available (nimble wear), but with a 40" waist and 27" thighs... I'm bigger than their posted 4X.

On a side note... I'm finding that I'm bigger than a 4x mildly offensive because I normally wear 2X in normal clothes....

2014-04-03 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4975717

User image

Subject: RE: Tri athletic wear
Tri wear / gear is not for the modest! Avert your eyes!

I got Tri shorts that were 7 long and wish I went with the 8! I'm 6-1 for reference
2014-04-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

If you have to get matching gear for the team, you really don't have much choice.  There are many different brands that make different tri related gear.  I have owned three different shorts and the only company that made something that was comfortable for a bike short and running is no longer in business because of a family problem a few years ago.  Depending upon your location, you may have tri shorts available at multiple locations to try and look at.  You definitely do not want a bike short to swim in and then get on the bike, as the chamois absorbs way too much water, even for just a short sprint event.  I only wore my tri gear for brick workouts, as to have them last longer.  I will be having to go through your struggles again soon also and I am not looking forward to It at all.

2014-04-03 12:34 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Luckily we are not required to have matching uniforms, but it is something I wanted to do. I'm probably going to hit up one of the stores in town that carry this stuff and find a generic pair of shorts until I lose a bit more weight.
2014-05-13 10:44 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

Regular
Conejo Valley
You'll get over it. Tri clothes are what they are, and that is mostly skin tight. I wear a looser bike shirt, but I live in my Zoot tri shorts on the bike and in the pool, and I long ago let go of how it looked. Enjoy the bike/swim/run and don't sweat it.
2014-05-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: bmmac

User image

Originally posted by bmmac

You'll get over it. Tri clothes are what they are, and that is mostly skin tight. I wear a looser bike shirt, but I live in my Zoot tri shorts on the bike and in the pool, and I long ago let go of how it looked. Enjoy the bike/swim/run and don't sweat it.

Believe me, it's not a question of how I look in them... For the record, I have "dead sexy legs" according to my wife (and her opinion is all that matters, lol!), the problem was that with Nimblewear I am off their charts. I am quite happy with the Zoot XL shorts I have. As a bonus, I've always ridden the bike with regular spandex... So my tri shorts are a serious increase in comfort too!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri athletic wear Rss Feed