General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing in the rain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-02 9:14 PM

Subject: Racing in the rain
I'm doing the 70.3 in Galveston this weekend and there is now a 100% chance of thunderstorms. Nothing like a little added challenge for the first one! Any guesses about how bad it has to be before they cancel the race? Or if it does go ahead any tips for dealing with the bad conditions?

2014-04-02 9:38 PM
in reply to: millscd63

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: Racing in the rain
It depends on the race director. I have done about 20 races in the rain... a few when it was POURING. I've seen 3 races cancelled due to lightning.

Only advice I have is on the bike, because that's really where it gets dangerous. Take corners VERY slow I've had 2 really bad falls while racing in the rain... the first was during a sprint tri a couple years ago... course was wet, I took the corner way too fast and slid across the entire road and into the ditch. The second was no joke 2 weeks after the first, I was doing a 100TT in Alaska and came around the corner on mile 89 to see a cow moose walking right in my path... I locked up both tires, slid like a baseball player into the ditch and ripped a good chunk from my leg... bike was fine, as was the moose...
So, moral of the story, take it easy.

During the run, I'd have a change of socks in the special needs bag. You're going to need them.

During the swim... yeah, you'll be wet anyway.
2014-04-02 10:27 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Extreme Veteran
Did Knoxville last year in the rain and low 50's temp and the bike got very cold I saw many people dropping out because they where to cold. It was cold on that bike and poured the whole time. Down hills where very scary. The run however was nice to have the rain and cold. If its cold also have dry cloths near by
2014-04-02 11:47 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

Did Knoxville last year in the rain and low 50's temp and the bike got very cold I saw many people dropping out because they where to cold. It was cold on that bike and poured the whole time. Down hills where very scary. The run however was nice to have the rain and cold. If its cold also have dry cloths near by

Coming from Wisconsin that day was beautiful for us, but I noticed a lot of people were under dressed for that weather. Unfortunately I flatted which ended my day...
2014-04-02 11:49 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by millscd63

I'm doing the 70.3 in Galveston this weekend and there is now a 100% chance of thunderstorms. Nothing like a little added challenge for the first one! Any guesses about how bad it has to be before they cancel the race? Or if it does go ahead any tips for dealing with the bad conditions?

I raced in rain and thunderstorms pretty much all last year. Knoxville, Moonsoon at Lifetime Minneapoilis, Thunderstorm at Hy-Vee and various other local races. What it comes down to is a couple things. First permits for the roads give the race only so much time, so usually an hour delay is okay, after that it depends on what the permits allow. They might cancel the swim Saturday so that they can move more efficiently on Sunday, but that is all up to the RD. I don't know who RD's Galveston so I cannot speak on their behalf.
2014-04-03 5:32 AM
in reply to: #4975734

Thanks for all the tips! The bike is what I'm most worried about because I haven't ridden in the rain a whole lot. Should be an adventure!

2014-04-03 5:46 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I've never seen a race cancelled due to rain, but lightening is a different story altogether. If wind is really heavy, then the swim (due to waves) may be shortened or even replaced with a run (turning it into a duathlon).

Things to think about in rainy conditions… traction on the bike will be much less; stay off any white lines (reflective) lines on the road, manholes are super slick and brake way before you turn, never in the turn. Also, drop the tire pressure to increase the contact surface; in rain, I'll drop the pressure about 10psi, which helps a lot. Think about if you want to ride with glasses as well…. some people are not bothered much by rain in their eyes (although you need to be careful if/when you pass people, the road spray will be very gritty), others don't mind having water on the lenses.

If it's colder as well, make sure you have a rain jacket you can wear before the race to keep you warm. You can wear the same jacket on the run if needed.

Most important, expect to be slower. You need additional time on the bike to stay safe and the rain will more than likely also cause you to run slightly slower (for most, the muscles just don't fire as well when colder).
2014-04-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4975798

Good stuff! I wouldn't have thought of the tire pressure but that makes perfect sense.
2014-04-03 10:18 AM

I am pretty bad about practicing in the rain. I don't think that I have intentionally ridden in the rain for 3 or 4 years. That is probably something I should practice. That being said I am pretty comfortable with riding in the rain when I have had to do it.
2014-04-04 9:58 AM

User image

Regular
Georgia
The only thing that I can add to the good advice is to keep your head on a swivel during the ride. Just because you, and most here, will step things down a bit for safety, there will be those who ride just like the road was dry. I was almost taken out by an idiot in one of those bottleneck turns where you can't avoid bunching up. He came through like a bat out of hell and went down. How no one else was taken out, I still can't figure out. Bottom line: Watch out for the idiots.
2014-04-04 12:24 PM
in reply to: Skyhawk

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I love training and racing in the rain. My cross country runs for school in England were almost always wet.

I pray here (in Canada) for wet conditions as it will thin out the field and spook others. A bit like when it rains here and you can get the golf course to yourself.

Ideas:

Swim. Embrace it. Dont wear tinted goggles as the low light might make you a tad blind. If the water and the rain are different temps you can get some surface mist so be mindful of sighting well.

Riding. I never reduce tire pressure as this creates a larger contact area with the ground. Which encourages aquaplaning. While normal pressure enables what shape and tread (if any) on your tire to cut through the water. This might be bunkum. But it has held true for me.

Invest in a good waterproof outer layer that you can ride and run in. Typically these items have good pockets for spare sticking plasters, body glide, spare socks etc. Spend the extra $$ on something that has insane air flow, breath-ability. A rain poncho will not do the trick.

Run: You can use an old product called dubbin (designed for leather boots, soccer, field hockey etc) which when liberally applied to running shoes creates a few miles of water resistance. Its not water proofing but it does help.

Otherwise it is a matter of bagging up all your T1,2 stuff so that you can enjoy dry socks for a few miles at the start of your run. Liberal baby powder can make wet stuff easier to change into.

2014-04-04 1:43 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Originally posted by badmo77aRiding. I never reduce tire pressure as this creates a larger contact area with the ground. Which encourages aquaplaning. While normal pressure enables what shape and tread (if any) on your tire to cut through the water. This might be bunkum. But it has held true for me

You don't have to worry about hydroplaning on a bike.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#hydroplaning

2014-04-04 1:48 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by badmo77aRiding. I never reduce tire pressure as this creates a larger contact area with the ground. Which encourages aquaplaning. While normal pressure enables what shape and tread (if any) on your tire to cut through the water. This might be bunkum. But it has held true for me

See! It was bunkum. Funny what you believe for years with no grounding.

So does lowering tire pressure help any with grip?
2014-04-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Originally posted by badmo77a
Originally posted by Jason N

See! It was bunkum. Funny what you believe for years with no grounding. So does lowering tire pressure help any with grip?

It does...more surface to contact the ground will help indeed help with grip.  That's not bunkum.    

However, it's not a magic potion...you still need to be careful cornering in the rain.  But even on dry roads, I feel that a little lower pressure does help if I'm doing a lot of hard cornering.  Such as descending a big hill that has many switchbacks.  Sort of like how race cars use different tire pressures based on what type of course they are racing.  A big round oval likely needs different pressure than a road course.  Time trials and triathlons are generally pretty straight and non technical though.

2014-04-05 7:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-04-05 10:09 PM

Denver, Colorado
All I can think of is Enzo...anyone?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing in the rain Rss Feed