BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-05-20 6:20 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by jbwills Thought I would share this minor accomplishment. Today did my 3.5 mile Tempo run, target has been getting below 8:00 PPM for the loop. I did it once for the Mothers Day race, but that is easy with people to chase after, today did it in 27:57 (7:59 PPM). So happy with breaking it with just me a running partner running. Ultimate target is getting down to 7:00 PPM before I leave here in Sept, but was a nice intermediate goal accomplishment. I am shooting to get back to my 8:00 PPM for 10 miles on training runs. Steady running and working out have helped and getting me closer to the goal.

Nice! New target in your sights

2014-05-20 6:52 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Nearly all of the puppies have gone now and I think next week I might be able to get back into some training. YAY!!! Doing a 12k walk with friends on Sunday had really wanted to run it but the pups have just taken up so much of my time over the last 3 months that I just couldn't fit the training in.

Luckily they are very cute and easily forgiven. This is Countess de Poh (Dee)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (118KB - 4 downloads)
2014-05-20 9:15 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by JJ- Ok guys now here is the question Mdot Sticker or 140.6 sticker for my truck???????
140, I heard the course was short this year

Meaning less so than all the Euro courses?

Oooosssshhhh, that hurt

Ha! Awesome…  

I'd vote 140.6.  Lotta ground to have covered!

Side note: had my aero bar shear off my cockpit on a ride yesterday at ~35mph.  Interesting, to say the least.  No wreckage, thankfully, and my LBS is fixing it up and will have it back (and tuned up, even!) by Thursday!  FastSplits (said LBS) just ROCKS!  On my roadie tomorrow and Wednesday, so my neck will at least be happy.  

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Matt

Yikes! How did you stay up???    

2014-05-20 9:35 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by JJ- IRONMAN doesn't sell the 140.6 sticker anymore. This is the new sticker. At first I didn't like it but it's growing on me now Edit: I just ordered a regular 140.6 from cafe press. Now I gotta decide what to do.

I think I prefer the standard 140.6.  For whatever that's worth!

That's what I have.  140.6 magnet on one side and 26.2 on the other.

Man, I didn't know WTC didn't do just the 140.6 sticker anymore... looks like I'll be ordering one!  Or a magnet... or something else that would be small enough to pack that won't take up any space at all for moving...   

I have no idea if this is weird or not, but I don't consider myself to be a person that has done a marathon... I've never done a stand-alone, the only 2 I've done have been at the end of IM distance races!  

I am going to do my first open marathon in December or January

Nice!  

Also kinda weird is that I have no desire to do a stand-alone marathon, but somehow doing one at the end of an IM race is okay?  I'm clearly not quite right in the head.  

I think that is a fair assessment I stopped running marathons a few years ago. Every once in a while I think I'd like to run one, but then I realize that I really don't! HMs just seem so much more reasonable.

You guys are funny!

Seems there's no "I'll never..." anymore. Well, unless it's "I'll never win..."  It used to be I'd never run an HM, then do a tri, then a marathon. Now they each have something special attached to them and I can't say never.

hehehe...To echo your HM sentiment, I was just telling DH last night that I have the HM itch and there are two windows open on my browser searching AZ for possibilities.

2014-05-21 6:29 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Nearly all of the puppies have gone now and I think next week I might be able to get back into some training. YAY!!! Doing a 12k walk with friends on Sunday had really wanted to run it but the pups have just taken up so much of my time over the last 3 months that I just couldn't fit the training in. Luckily they are very cute and easily forgiven. This is Countess de Poh (Dee)

Taking care of puppies is an excellent excuse for missed training! Dee is sooooo cute!!!

2014-05-21 6:30 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ- IRONMAN doesn't sell the 140.6 sticker anymore. This is the new sticker. At first I didn't like it but it's growing on me now Edit: I just ordered a regular 140.6 from cafe press. Now I gotta decide what to do.

Man, I didn't know WTC didn't do just the 140.6 sticker anymore... looks like I'll be ordering one!  Or a magnet... or something else that would be small enough to pack that won't take up any space at all for moving...   

I have no idea if this is weird or not, but I don't consider myself to be a person that has done a marathon... I've never done a stand-alone, the only 2 I've done have been at the end of IM distance races!  

Nice!  

Also kinda weird is that I have no desire to do a stand-alone marathon, but somehow doing one at the end of an IM race is okay?  I'm clearly not quite right in the head.  

I think that is a fair assessment I stopped running marathons a few years ago. Every once in a while I think I'd like to run one, but then I realize that I really don't! HMs just seem so much more reasonable.

You guys are funny!

Seems there's no "I'll never..." anymore. Well, unless it's "I'll never win..."  It used to be I'd never run an HM, then do a tri, then a marathon. Now they each have something special attached to them and I can't say never.

hehehe...To echo your HM sentiment, I was just telling DH last night that I have the HM itch and there are two windows open on my browser searching AZ for possibilities.

My browser always seem to have at least 1 race site window open.  I think it's a sickness.

2014-05-21 8:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Spent most of yesterday shopping for a new washer...in stores and online.  After ten years, our wedding present washer chose to die, or at least make it monetarily inefficient to fix. That meant this morning was spent at the Laundromat.

However, tomorrow...? I have a new washer being delivered AND my new Cascadias should arrive. Woot!

So, what's new in ManateeLand?

I'm leaving DE tomorrow to go back to CO.   My training routine has been shot to heck and I've really been missing riding my bike.  Despite that, I've managed to get some exercise by taking long walks on the beach and I'm headed to the pool later today for a swim.  It's really amazing how much difference altitude makes.  I PR'd my 5k by ~1:30!  No RR yet; still trying to figure out how to access my results.  Even though it was called the Wild Goose Chase, there were no geese, either to be chased or doing any chasing. The race itself was a nice little local event with about 165 racers. It was a little humbling, however, to hear the times of the winning 10-13 y.o. kids, who were way faster than me!!

Stacey, Dee is soooo cute!!  How much does she weigh these days?

Edited by laffinrock 2014-05-21 8:32 AM
2014-05-21 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
My 2nd shadow half-mary got moved up to this coming Monday. It is going to start at 0400 instead of 0600 like the last. It is still going to be after a shift at work, but should be done before the temps get to hot.

Nice!  

You guys are funny!

I used to think that a HM was a long race, now it seems like a long run day. Now I just need to get the speed side back down for the short runs.
2014-05-21 9:25 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Well, I had the 26.2 magnet before the 140.6 one so I just added it.

2014-05-21 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't know if that's weird or not either, but I was having a similar  question about how to count how many half marathons I've done; do I count the ones in HIMs or not? I decided not.

I dunno.  I give the long version and let them figure it out!  Four open marathons and three ironman marathons (is that 4 or 7?)

2014-05-21 9:28 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

Nice!  

My Ironman Marathon was just pure survival mode due to the dehydration and stomach problems on the bike. I would like to race a marathon to see what I am capable of

We'll hear all about it in the race report, right?

2014-05-21 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JJ-

Nice!  

I'm sort of toying with the idea of 2015 being The Year of the Half -- half marathons and 70.3s and stuff.   A lot of will depend on Kevin's schedule next year.  So many races, so little time!

2014-05-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hmmm.. lots happening here - as always!  In no particular order:

IMO, if you run the distance - open or after a nice warmup swimming and biking - it counts.  As for PR's, pick whatever's faster (open almost always).  There is, however, a huge difference in training for an open run vs. a run at the end of a tri - as there is in racing it and the recovery needed.  After a good hammer on the bike, I can only hurt myself so much.  In an open run, I can bury myself MUCH deeper!

OK - have to finish my thoughts later.  gtg for the moment.  I'm sure you're all holding your breath.   HA!  

Matt

2014-05-21 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I don't know if that's weird or not either, but I was having a similar  question about how to count how many half marathons I've done; do I count the ones in HIMs or not? I decided not.

I dunno.  I give the long version and let them figure it out!  Four open marathons and three ironman marathons (is that 4 or 7?)

That works when you're letting others figure it out, but when you want to count for yourself so you can decide if you want to do x number of HMs by x age, it's kind of important to know how many you've already done! ( man, that was a long sentence)
2014-05-21 9:44 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hmmm.. lots happening here - as always!  In no particular order:

IMO, if you run the distance - open or after a nice warmup swimming and biking - it counts.  As for PR's, pick whatever's faster (open almost always).  There is, however, a huge difference in training for an open run vs. a run at the end of a tri - as there is in racing it and the recovery needed.  After a good hammer on the bike, I can only hurt myself so much.  In an open run, I can bury myself MUCH deeper!

OK - have to finish my thoughts later.  gtg for the moment.  I'm sure you're all holding your breath.   HA!  

Matt

That way of counting makes sense, but for some reason I tend to count the other way. Must be a personality defect

I will anxiously wait for the rest of your thoughts!

2014-05-21 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JJ-

Nice!  

You guys are funny!

Don't think that we didn't notice the location!

2014-05-21 9:54 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Spent most of yesterday shopping for a new washer...in stores and online.  After ten years, our wedding present washer chose to die, or at least make it monetarily inefficient to fix. That meant this morning was spent at the Laundromat.

However, tomorrow...? I have a new washer being delivered AND my new Cascadias should arrive. Woot!

I'm leaving DE tomorrow to go back to CO.   My training routine has been shot to heck and I've really been missing riding my bike.  Despite that, I've managed to get some exercise by taking long walks on the beach and I'm headed to the pool later today for a swim.  It's really amazing how much difference altitude makes.  I PR'd my 5k by ~1:30!  No RR yet; still trying to figure out how to access my results.  Even though it was called the Wild Goose Chase, there were no geese, either to be chased or doing any chasing. The race itself was a nice little local event with about 165 racers. It was a little humbling, however, to hear the times of the winning 10-13 y.o. kids, who were way faster than me!!

I'm glad that you have enjoyed your vacation!  I look forward to reading your race report :-)

Safe travels!

2014-05-21 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Congratulations!

2014-05-21 10:29 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Melon Presser

And to everyone--just 'cause I'm not saying much doesn't mean I'm not noticing locations, PRs, methods of race counting, puppies, or run training either. I'm stalking. Silently. It's very unlike me. Beware.

2014-05-21 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ-

Nice!  

My Ironman Marathon was just pure survival mode due to the dehydration and stomach problems on the bike. I would like to race a marathon to see what I am capable of

We'll hear all about it in the race report, right?

Yes. I actually finished my race report last night detailing not only the race but my journey to get there. I just need to condense the race report part for BT. If anyone wants to read the long version I'll post the link. It explains how I got here.
2014-05-21 12:05 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK Nearly all of the puppies have gone now and I think next week I might be able to get back into some training. YAY!!! Doing a 12k walk with friends on Sunday had really wanted to run it but the pups have just taken up so much of my time over the last 3 months that I just couldn't fit the training in. Luckily they are very cute and easily forgiven. This is Countess de Poh (Dee)

THOSE PAWS!!! <3

2014-05-21 12:09 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by JJ-

Nice!  

You guys are funny!

My browser always seem to have at least 1 race site window open.  I think it's a sickness.

I think that is a fair assessment

2014-05-21 12:20 PM

User image

Master

Yay for your PR!... and long walks on the beach.

Hahaha...I totally understand the kid humbling. When I was signing up for this year's Esprit de She race, I noticed that they had a pic on the Tempe page that looked familiar. It was me chasing a 9yo out of T1. lol

2014-05-21 12:29 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by JJ-

Nice!  

You guys are funny!

Don't think that we didn't notice the location!

Weeellll, I said searching, not paying for. lol   Don't think I'll be registering for anything more than 2 weeks before.

2014-05-21 12:39 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Totes adorbs, as my niece says!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63091 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 27059 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 15941 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98374 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.