BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-05-21 2:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Squeezed in a treadmill run between new washer being delivered and taking Star Wars cupcakes to Taylor's class as an early bday surprise. Back to his school at 1:30 for an awards assembly.

***Oooooh! and my new Cascadias just arrived. Neon pink and black

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-05-21 3:15 PM

2014-05-21 3:33 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Ok, race report is up. Like I said earlier I feel like after a 2 year journey I wanted to log much more than just a race report so I created a blog that details my journey and race in much more detail. Feel free to read the blog or just the race report or both.

Full Blog Here
http://jjfit.blogspot.com/2014/05/from-fat-to-ironman.html

BT Race Report Here
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-05-21 4:02 PM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbwills My 2nd shadow half-mary got moved up to this coming Monday. It is going to start at 0400 instead of 0600 like the last. It is still going to be after a shift at work, but should be done before the temps get to hot.

I used to think that a HM was a long race, now it seems like a long run day. Now I just need to get the speed side back down for the short runs.

0400?!  I know you work nights, but that still sounds like a completely ridiculous time to start a 13.1 mile run!  Bet it'll be pretty, though, going from darkness through sunrise, especially with that gorgeous view you have.  What's "hot" this time of year?

2014-05-21 4:52 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jbwills My 2nd shadow half-mary got moved up to this coming Monday. It is going to start at 0400 instead of 0600 like the last. It is still going to be after a shift at work, but should be done before the temps get to hot.

I used to think that a HM was a long race, now it seems like a long run day. Now I just need to get the speed side back down for the short runs.

0400?!  I know you work nights, but that still sounds like a completely ridiculous time to start a 13.1 mile run!  Bet it'll be pretty, though, going from darkness through sunrise, especially with that gorgeous view you have.  What's "hot" this time of year?

Hot temps right now are starting to push into the high 90's/low 100's. I am anticipating some 120+ temps. Normally for my 6am runs it is already starting to creep into the high 80's to low 90's. Tomorrow's high is slated for 101* F feeling like 103* F. Next week anticipated to be 110* F.
2014-05-21 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jbwills

Hot temps right now are starting to push into the high 90's/low 100's. I am anticipating some 120+ temps. Normally for my 6am runs it is already starting to creep into the high 80's to low 90's. Tomorrow's high is slated for 101* F feeling like 103* F. Next week anticipated to be 110* F.

UGH!  As a northerner with thick blood, that just sounds miserable!  Of course, we're looking at a move to Austin, so I better get used to 100 degree days!  I guess I better get used to getting up a half hour before I go to bed so I can run when it's merely broasting hot out...

Monica - I hope we see you in Austin (and that we get there, as well).  Tough for us, as the kids are going into 5th, 7th, and 9th grades and I hate to move them right now.  Buuuuuut, we live where "the air hurts our face" in the winter and the Austin gig (if it comes through) would be fantastic.  So, we'll see...

Also agree on the way one's perspective changes on distances, as well.  Once upon a time, it seemed that I'd never run a ten miler again, let alone a HM or mary - but those distances have once again become just part of my world.  Funny how it change in BOTH directions over time.

To continue my previous post...

On the bike breakage, to answer a couple questions.  The cockpit was a "Vision" by Full Speed Ahead.  I was boogying - like 35mph - and hit a bump that was new and stealthy (been a TOUGH winter here, with lots of road damage).  The resultant THWACK was impressive and tilted my cockpit down.  I'm not sure if that's when the weld let go or trying to pull back to a controllable level (I think the former with the sharp impact).  Either way, it took a second to notice the break, as it was still attached by what seems in internal dowel post - and I was in full on "situation management" mode (pilot training being helpful there) with the skewed cockpit at speed.  Got it all in hand and rode on the bullhorns to the race, which was only a couple miles away.

Lucky that's all that happened, but I decided to keep the set and just replace the bar (when my awesome LBS found a spare).  I wouldn't be concerned about riding a P2C, as they're great bikes - IF they fit you (and it fits my rather odd proportions well).  I'd love a P5, but can't justify the eleventy three gazillion bucks until I've worked on the engine a bit more (ummmmm… OK, a LOT more).  Someday, though!  

More thoughts later, of course.  I know - such a tease.  (cracks self up)

Matt

2014-05-21 5:40 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by jbwills

Sure you're not stationed in SW Arizona?

2014-05-21 5:58 PM

User image

Master

I'm having issues right now. Goals/motivation and such. It's that time of year around here where everything starts slowing down because of the summer heat. And then not having a clear picture of future location has added a new goal-setting issue. Blech.

Seems it's time to adapt and overcome this first world problem 

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-05-21 6:01 PM

(http___24.media.tumblr.com_df2a4b2a662fa15999a390db100e1aed_tumblr_mxdelxNMgA1smhljfo1_500.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
http___24.media.tumblr.com_df2a4b2a662fa15999a390db100e1aed_tumblr_mxdelxNMgA1smhljfo1_500.jpg (50KB - 3 downloads)
2014-05-21 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I'm having issues right now. Goals/motivation and such. It's that time of year around here where everything starts slowing down because of the summer heat. And then not having a clear picture of future location has added a new goal-setting issue. Blech.

Maybe do some rim to rim stuff at the Grand Canyon? When I was down there in Feb, I thought that would be something totally awesome to do.  Also, you could always do some 5Ks.  Being out in the heat for under 30 min should be doable.  Right?

Or maybe you can take up kite flying in sandstorms.

2014-05-21 7:08 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Stacey, Dee is soooo cute!!  How much does she weigh these days?

She weighs 17kg which is fairly close to 40lbs.

I managed to get on the treadmill this morning. Amazing how good it felt to do something.
2014-05-21 7:27 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Maybe do some rim to rim stuff at the Grand Canyon? When I was down there in Feb, I thought that would be something totally awesome to do.  Also, you could always do some 5Ks.  Being out in the heat for under 30 min should be doable.  Right?

Or maybe you can take up kite flying in sandstorms.

Ahead of you there! Part of doing our weekend trail running is to prep for R2R...R2R2R if I believe Jason  Setting a firm date is our big issue right now.  And you're totally right, it will be awesome! Come join the fun.

Getting my short runs faster is also on my goal radar (really shouldn't be hard to do considering how slow I am right now). Paying for random 5ks sticks in my craw though, so I'm researching causes to which I'll be happy to "donate" registration money.

I now have three windows open to race lists...I'm going to overcome with a vengeance!

2014-05-22 1:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I have created an exercise monster!!!!!

I have known my friend K for a little over 10 years. In all that time she has always hated exercise. Anyway a year or so ago she started walking to help loose weight. She now goes nearly every day - even thunder and lightening doesn't perturb her (her dogs maybe but not her).

Anyway this weekend we are doing a 12km walk together. The weather is supposed to be miserable but she is really excited about it. But does anyone have a good suggestion for a shower proof running jacket? I am gonna need one I think and I would rather just get a good one now than buy something cheap and then have to get a good one anyway.

2014-05-22 1:51 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK I have created an exercise monster!!!!! I have known my friend K for a little over 10 years. In all that time she has always hated exercise. Anyway a year or so ago she started walking to help loose weight. She now goes nearly every day - even thunder and lightening doesn't perturb her (her dogs maybe but not her). Anyway this weekend we are doing a 12km walk together. The weather is supposed to be miserable but she is really excited about it. But does anyone have a good suggestion for a shower proof running jacket? I am gonna need one I think and I would rather just get a good one now than buy something cheap and then have to get a good one anyway.

Go by the nearest Kathmandu store--forgot where it is. Their stuff isn't cheap but it's GREAT. Weatherproof breathable running + cycling jacket should be easy to find there.

OR wear a good hat and a large garbage bag with holes for the head and arms. This works surprisingly well

2014-05-22 7:33 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

To continue my previous post...

On the bike breakage, to answer a couple questions.  The cockpit was a "Vision" by Full Speed Ahead.  I was boogying - like 35mph - and hit a bump that was new and stealthy (been a TOUGH winter here, with lots of road damage).  The resultant THWACK was impressive and tilted my cockpit down.  I'm not sure if that's when the weld let go or trying to pull back to a controllable level (I think the former with the sharp impact).  Either way, it took a second to notice the break, as it was still attached by what seems in internal dowel post - and I was in full on "situation management" mode (pilot training being helpful there) with the skewed cockpit at speed.  Got it all in hand and rode on the bullhorns to the race, which was only a couple miles away.

Lucky that's all that happened, but I decided to keep the set and just replace the bar (when my awesome LBS found a spare).  I wouldn't be concerned about riding a P2C, as they're great bikes - IF they fit you (and it fits my rather odd proportions well).  I'd love a P5, but can't justify the eleventy three gazillion bucks until I've worked on the engine a bit more (ummmmm… OK, a LOT more).  Someday, though!  

More thoughts later, of course.  I know - such a tease.  (cracks self up)

Matt

Have had something like that happen as well. Glad you're ok! Near 35, sharp bump. Only one side came loose though as it was a bolt. Other arm had moved some with the hit, but was still holding well enough. Gradually slowed down to a stop. Just tightened with the multi-tool and it was ok from there. Definitely a bit freaky when steering goes out!

2014-05-22 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Squeezed in a treadmill run between new washer being delivered and taking Star Wars cupcakes to Taylor's class as an early bday surprise. Back to his school at 1:30 for an awards assembly.

***Oooooh! and my new Cascadias just arrived. Neon pink and black

New shoes? PICS! I owe you a pic of my new Mizunos as well.

2014-05-22 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK I have created an exercise monster!!!!! I have known my friend K for a little over 10 years. In all that time she has always hated exercise. Anyway a year or so ago she started walking to help loose weight. She now goes nearly every day - even thunder and lightening doesn't perturb her (her dogs maybe but not her). Anyway this weekend we are doing a 12km walk together. The weather is supposed to be miserable but she is really excited about it. But does anyone have a good suggestion for a shower proof running jacket? I am gonna need one I think and I would rather just get a good one now than buy something cheap and then have to get a good one anyway.

Go by the nearest Kathmandu store--forgot where it is. Their stuff isn't cheap but it's GREAT. Weatherproof breathable running + cycling jacket should be easy to find there.

OR wear a good hat and a large garbage bag with holes for the head and arms. This works surprisingly well

No garbage bags allowed. Specifically mentioned in the race briefing notes.

Edited by StaceyK 2014-05-22 9:13 AM
2014-05-22 9:15 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Melon Presser

Oh lawsy. We're live in the new Mentor Groups forum.

What say we keep the chatter here (for now ... until the new group reaches critical mass, whatever/whenever that is), but whoever wishes to continue in Manatee mayhem post up intention and/or bio in the new thread? (and welcome any newcomers ... )

You guys and your individual and collective awesomeness are what attract other soon-to-be Manatees to swim into the pod ...

2014-05-22 9:18 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

INTERESTING!

You will love a new 'Du jacket. I even managed to talk the ever-frugal Kingsley into getting one (he will wear the same crap for 20 years, he would seriously wear his lambswool thick fleece Rotto jackets in the rain and as a running thingie).

2014-05-22 12:23 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK

INTERESTING!

You will love a new 'Du jacket. I even managed to talk the ever-frugal Kingsley into getting one (he will wear the same crap for 20 years, he would seriously wear his lambswool thick fleece Rotto jackets in the rain and as a running thingie).

Responding to your post about Dee, she's a BIG baby!  Goodness.  Not much lap snuggling with her, I imagine.  Such a cutie pie, though.

So weird that you can't wear a garbage bag.  Guess they don't want a bunch of bag ladies racing?  Good job on creating the exercise monster - she's getting you out too.  It's mutual monster-ship, the best kind for both of you!!

I have a Canari Razor Eclipse cycling jacket that's just a rain shell.  The sleeves zip off too.  It's not waterproof but it's light and breathable, has pockets front and back and I LOVE it.  If it's rainy and cold, I wear a fleece under it; otherwise I just wear a wicking shirt underneath.  I figure I'm going to get from the inside out as well as the outside in so I'm not too worried about staying dry, just warm.  Not sure if there's a place you can get one down there though.  Here's a link for more info:

http://www.rei.com/product/861279/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8612790003&canari-razor-convertible-bike-jacket-mens-2011-closeout,-killer-yellow&preferredSku=8612790003&mr:trackingCode=65A5634F-DE1F-E311-A755-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=46925422120&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=49481825440&msid=ajWNjjHm_dc|pcrid|46925422120|#specsTab

Jonathan AK, that's HOT!!  Whew!  Makes me feel tired just thinking about it.  Sounds like moving that half mary back 2 hours is a really good idea. 

Edited by laffinrock 2014-05-22 12:30 PM
2014-05-22 1:22 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JJ-

Ok, race report is up. Like I said earlier I feel like after a 2 year journey I wanted to log much more than just a race report so I created a blog that details my journey and race in much more detail. Feel free to read the blog or just the race report or both.

Full Blog Here

BT Race Report Here

I read your blog - I had goosebumps! AWESOME!!!
2014-05-22 1:46 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by JJ-

Full Blog Here

BT Race Report Here

Thank you!
2014-05-22 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

2014-05-22 3:13 PM

User image

Master

Ok, caught up I think.  Posted in the new thread before reading all the way through here to see that we are still here. 

So my training partner hurt me again today.  Man o man after this run, I really understand the "Just getting to the start line is the accomplishment"! 

Yanti, happy belated birthday, and I am so sorry about Ryder.  Thank you for giving him love and comfort in his final days and moments.

JJ--Wooot!  Congratulations Ironman!  So great that you powered through despite difficulties.  I have your blog bookmarked to read.

Salty, I hope your surgery went well and you are convalescing<---that's not quite right...

Jonathan--awesome work on the run!

Matt--sure glad there was no harm done to you!  Glad that LBS will have it all ready to go so quickly too.

Darren--sorry to hear about the struggles you are going through.  I have to agree with everyone else.  Get in what you can, when you can.  This is supposed to be fun.

2014-05-22 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by JJ- Ok, race report is up. Like I said earlier I feel like after a 2 year journey I wanted to log much more than just a race report so I created a blog that details my journey and race in much more detail. Feel free to read the blog or just the race report or both. Full Blog Here http://jjfit.blogspot.com/2014/05/from-fat-to-ironman.htmlBT Race Report Here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Thank you!

That was awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write it! I feel like you and I did our first HIM "together". Someday I'll get to hear my name from Mike Reilly as well.

2014-05-22 3:52 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by JJ- Ok, race report is up. Like I said earlier I feel like after a 2 year journey I wanted to log much more than just a race report so I created a blog that details my journey and race in much more detail. Feel free to read the blog or just the race report or both. Full Blog Here http://jjfit.blogspot.com/2014/05/from-fat-to-ironman.htmlBT Race Report Here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Thank you!

That was awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write it! I feel like you and I did our first HIM "together". Someday I'll get to hear my name from Mike Reilly as well.

Yea we did, like a week apart I think if I remember right
2014-05-22 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by JJ-
Thank you!

Yea we did, like a week apart I think if I remember right

Oh, and Mrs. JJ is adorable and I love that you took the time to stop in for a pre-race prayer. One thing I regret from Oceanside was missing the IronPrayer.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63097 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 27070 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 15944 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98384 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.