General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting used to breathing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-03 2:56 PM

Subject: getting used to breathing
I've been re-learning freestyle and breathing is a huge ongoing factor of it. I am comfortable with my face down and dont have the anxiousness I used to, but still struggle with the amount of force to exhale with and how much and how fast to inhale (read everything from take a big breath to take a little bite of air). Secondly, I read so much about the supposed nice relaxed rhythm of swimming/breathing, but is this normal relaxed breathing (like I am doing as I write this) a reality or is the more labored breathing (as I experience and am comfy with running/cycling when working reasonable hard) just something that I need to get comfortable with in the water?

Thanks for any input on how you breathe.

2014-04-03 3:30 PM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Subject: RE: getting used to breathing

Yes, your breathing should be the same as you're breathing right now. If not slower. You shouldn't need to gasp for air. In fact, you should be taking much longer breaths when swimming.

First, don't hold your breath when your face is in the water. You should have a constant stream of bubbles coming out of your nose as you glide.

When you inhale, you should be looking back, not to the side. Even if you're spotting - look forward, find your target, then turn your head and look back. When you're looking back, you don't have to lift your head as much as you would to the side. The water will break apart around the top of your head making a small well by your face. This will allow for a clean breath of air without getting water in your mouth.

2014-04-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Expert
Floriduh
+1 You only need move your head enough to have one eye out of the water. The key is to exhale underwater. Good form will not provide you with enough time to exhale and inhale in the same movement.
2014-04-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

I am ok/improving on the mechanics of side breathing and exhaling with face in water, its more of a pressure/force question as the first response was around. How deep of breathing, how forceful or an exhale, how big of a gulp of air when I do rotate to take one.

I feel that sometimes I take too deep of breath to expell before the next one, and then after a few strokes its that I am forcing a hard exhale and then big inhale which eventually convinces me that I must be tiring (this is what I was/am not sure isnt just a normal exercise reality and to get comfortable with it). The flipside is not sure how little or shallow of a breath I can take and get by on, as I feel like if I take a quick sip of air then i can only do that for so long before i seem to revert back to bigger/longer breaths. Its basically a goldilocks problem...but helps to hear how hard others are breathing or how it is supposed to feel.
2014-04-04 6:36 AM

User image

Regular
Newport News
I am not an expert, but it seems your body is going to dictate how much "air" it wants with each breath based on the energy you are exerting with your stroke. I still consider myself a beginner after learning the proper freestyle about 2 years ago. Work on your geting your stroke as efficient as possible. Listen to what the others have said about breathing. Keep simming and before long you will be breathing naturally.
2014-04-04 6:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have never really thought about this, but it brings up an interesting observation. For me, I do not think the volume of air changes when I inhale as my exertion rate goes up/down. In my training I usually breathe every 4 strokes but in the heat of a race may go to every 2. But if I feel like I'm breathing too much at 1 per 2 strokes, I will adjust to 1/3 strokes.

As far as volume goes, I think that is governed more by the amount of time in my stroke mechanics I have to breathe. Honestly, it's not a huge amount of time, only so much air I can take in in that time. I would be interested in hearing if others alter their breathing frequency as O2 demand goes up/down.

Edited by Oysterboy 2014-04-04 7:01 AM

2014-04-04 8:26 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, I don't think I alter the volume of air I take in much as there is only so much time to breathe on a normal stroke cycle. I guess an exception would be some kind of breathing drill like breathing every 3-5-7 strokes, or before going into a flip turn--I probably slow down my stroke cycle a little to get in a deeper breath, but not in a normal swim set or an open water race. I would get more oxygen by breathing more often. If I'm swimming easy, I usually breathe every 3-4 strokes, if hard, it's a pattern like 2-2-3 or 2-2-4. I think the more relaxed and normal you can get your breathing, both inhale and exhale, the more efficient you'll be. It shouldn't be a really forced inhale or exhale when distance swimming. There may be a place for taking huge breaths, but I'm guessing it's more in sprinting (as in 100m and less), when you try to breathe only when necessary, butterfly (where your head is completely out of the water to breathe anyway) and the like. Background--I swam distances in high school (best 1500m time about 21 minutes) and now about 25:30. Generally FOP for my age group, behind the fish but in the top 10% of women in most of my races on the swim.
2014-04-04 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4976233

User image

So just like there is a running rhythm there is a swimming rhythm.

You may not notice your running rhythm anymore - I know I don't but it's probably there. It naturally increases in depth as you increase your effort.

So swimming is apparently similar. I say apparently because i'm not an expert. i was just being "coached" on this yesterday. There is a rhythm to the whole arm stroke, kick, breathe process. Once you find your rhythm your breathing can increase and decrease with your effort level and you won't have to think about it.

So for what it's worth I was advised to work on my rhythm. I don't know if that's helpful or not. Like i said i'm not an expert. Keep swimming.

2014-04-04 9:54 AM

Originally posted by ilikepizza

I feel that sometimes I take too deep of breath to expell before the next one, and then after a few strokes its that I am forcing a hard exhale and then big inhale which eventually convinces me that I must be tiring

Rhythm has been mentioned several times in this thread. One thing that I am wondering about how consistent you are with your breathing. You mention after a "few" strokes. Is that every 3 or is it sometimes 2, sometimes 3, sometimes 4, sometimes 5, etc. If you are inconsistent you probably don't have a rhythm to your swim. I would start out breathing every 2 strokes - so pick a side and you are breathing on every stroke to that side. Ultimately it is better* if you can breath on either side. But to start out I would breath on one side on every stroke.

* the pro's and con's of bilateral breathing is another thread
2014-04-07 10:15 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

Thanks for the comments. I breathe on my right every 2 at this point. My comment was around the eventual buildup of oxygen that I feel like I must expell to take another breath after swimming 100m+ as my breathing seems to be more big breath oriented than when I start a set, a general inconsistency with the balance of how much air to take in and effectively empty it before the next breath. I have been making progress on this lately and doing over 400m continual now with gas left in the tank as I've really focused on smaller breaths and making sure I keep my head low (this and staring straight to the bottom instead of a bit forward has helped my leg positioning a ton) and try to not exhale overly hard. So complex, and I am going slow.
2014-04-07 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If right now you can breathe only to one side then a rhythm like I mentioned above (2-2-4) might work, Even at race intensity I rarely need to breathe every 2, but 2-2-4 generally works. The longer exhalation lets you get rid of any excess air you may have managed to gulp in. If I'm swimming in open water (in a situation where I don't need to breathe to both sides--I can if needed), then I usually sight at the end of each 2-2-4 cycle.

2014-04-07 7:30 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I'm a 2 stroke breather as well. I'm getting way faster than I was (3,000yd+ long swims I'll knock out at 1:40/100 now). To me, it seems like the faster you are the more you can increase the number of strokes between breaths. This is because your cadence is likely higher. Right now I feel like a breath every 2 strokes is too much. When I was doing 2:00+/100, every time I tried 3+, I'd just be gasping shortly after. I start a lot of sets at 4 strokes/breath and then just default back to 2.

Somewhat back on topic... I had/have issues exhaling too. I'm see a coach and he makes us do 300yds on kicking for every warmup. On my own, I decided to exhale under water with the kick board and then only lift my head up to inhale. The first few times I struggled with this, which suggested I wasn't exhaling underwater since the sensation felt awkward and I had issues on timing (mostly breathing too quickly). After a week or so, I got it down and I think it's improved my breathing a lot. It's worth a try.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting used to breathing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Getting over a bad swim start... breathing

Started by jdl2012
Views: 744 Posts: 3

2013-10-15 7:07 AM Duanerice

Getting used to less support?

Started by carlwithac
Views: 850 Posts: 4

2010-02-08 11:36 PM Slugger

Getting used to aerobars

Started by lengthcroft
Views: 702 Posts: 5

2009-06-20 11:52 PM Leegoocrap

Getting rest and using drugs?

Started by Capt. Dave
Views: 1407 Posts: 17

2005-12-16 8:52 AM Malgal

Getting used to the drops

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 672 Posts: 8

2004-09-22 7:00 PM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : February 4, 2011
comments : 1
Drills and suggestions to make bilateral breathing seem effortless

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : November 19, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm wondering if anyone else has had luck with moving to a five-stroke breathing pattern. Is this okay for endurance swimming? What are its benefits and drawbacks?

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.