Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Did you hate your dream job? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-04-03 9:12 PM

Subject: Did you hate your dream job?
I am 30 and having a bit of a career crisis. I am in my dream job - if you had asked me when I was 18 where I wanted to be in life at age 30, I would have described to you exactly where I am now. I busted my arse in undergrad and grad school, checked all the boxes, and ended up in the exact job I wanted. I have six figures of debt but I am having no problem paying it down thanks to what I make.

I have been in my dream job for four years now and there is just one problem - I utterly despise it. I work for an enormous, dysfunctional, self-promoting bureaucracy, the work I do is of absolutely no value and, to be honest, I could easily get away with doing nothing at all. The only reason I even try at all in my job is because it is the only way to keep myself from going crazy. What makes it even harder is that everyone I work with feels exactly the way I do. I started off being immensely passionate and enthusiastic about my field and now I hate it.

To me this says I need to think about a career change. I am not sure where to start, because it honestly never occurred to me that my perfectly-laid life plan wouldn't work out. I didn't mess around when I was younger - I put myself on a chosen career path at 18 and followed it to the T. Maybe that was my first mistake.

Who has had my experience and what did you do? How did you figure out what you really wanted to do in life? Did you find getting career counseling/coaching helped? I would love to find a way to to make a living off of my passion for triathlon but that's obviously not realistic.

2014-04-03 9:44 PM
in reply to: UrsusMaximus

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Did you hate your dream job?

Welcome to adulthood.

2014-04-03 9:59 PM

User image

Elite
"...I utterly despise it. I work for an enormous, dysfunctional, self-promoting bureaucracy, the work I do is of absolutely no value and, to be honest, I could easily get away with doing nothing at all. The only reason I even try at all in my job is because it is the only way to keep myself from going crazy. What makes it even harder is that everyone I work with feels exactly the way I do..."

So how long exactly have you been working in the Dallas Cowboys organization???

Just kidding.
I'm pretty sure we've all had moments like this.
I'm a glass half-full kinda guy. Try to focus on the positives...and where there are negatives, perhaps find something, anything you can do to improve the situation, even if it's just a little better.
In the meantime, it couldn't hurt to polish up the ol' resume.
Good luck!
2014-04-03 10:51 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I have. While I hated my career, I liked the money quite a bit. Then I got laid off, which no matter how much I hated the job, hated working 60+ hours a week etc losing it was a huge blow. It was spring so I figured I'd find work after summer but at summers end there wasn't work to be found in my field. So I got a job that I would have until I got a 'real' job. I worked in a grocery store.

Fast forward 11 years, I still work in the grocery store. I worked my way up to leadership, so I make enough to live a comfortable but very modest life. I work 8 hours a day. I've never been happier.

The big catch is that when I got laid off I had zero debt. None. So I was able to take a lower paying job. It would have been basically impossible to do with a high debt load.
2014-04-04 8:09 AM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

2 phrases come to mind.  

1.  Work to live, don't live to work.

and

2.  The grass is not always greener on the other side.

These are things I've come to recognize.  You can have the best job ever, but if the pay isn't there, or you have to over commit time (work 60+ per week), you won't have the ability to enjoy your life.  Don't miss out.

Also, all companies tend to have problems.  They come in different packages.  So take a look and see if moving will actually help.  The higher you get the more even the best companies flaws will be revealed.  

With that being said, sometime a move makes things seem brighter, and allows you to step back and remove emotion from the workplace. My last job I was at 10 years, and found myself caring too much.  It caused me stress and made me a bear to live with.  My new job, I can look at objectively, strive to make the work place better, and enjoy my work again.  Best thing is that I can see it as my job, not my second family.  (Less emotionally tied to job vs family).

Hope some of this advice helps and good luck.

2014-04-04 8:43 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, won't give details in case former, current, or potential future admin sees this, but I quit international teaching for a few years to take a "dream job" that I'd pursued for years back in the US. To make a long story short, I found myself dealing with ugly workplace politics, racism, a ridiculous workload, and a nearly non-existent curriculum and teaching supplies. I was working nearly twice as many hours a week for maybe 20-25% more pay, but my cost of living was nearly double what it was overseas. I couldn't really enjoy the benefits of living in my own country, close to family, in a vibrant city with a great outdoor recreation and cultural scene, because I was working all the time. I only had time to run or ride on weekends, and it made me sad to be inactive and unfit, but I was too exhausted to do any kind of training. In the end I decided it just wasn't worth it and went back to international teaching. I think you have to be willing to re-evaluate some of your "dreams", and that most jobs just aren't worth long-term sacrifice of family and reasonable quality of life. If you have to do so for a time for financial reasons, then do so, but you should be trying to position yourself to find something more suitable.

2014-04-04 9:54 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I would say part of this is "welcome to adulthood" but part is about how much you're willing to settle for or put up with. Many people are "okay" with making great money while despising their job. Many aren't. If you aren't, I would advise a few things:

Pick up a book on career change. I recently read Career Moves and it had a lot of golden nuggets about creating value for your organization (even if you hate your job and/or boss), developing a personal strategy for your next move, even the value in taking a lateral move to get where you want to be. 

Have a discussion with your manager, indicating you would like to explore other options where you can bring value to your organization. This could be staying in your current job but being appointed to a new committee (or what not), or could mean looking at other job roles to move into. You might be surprised at how the discussion goes. If your manager has no interest in your career growth and happiness, that's your sign. If he does, explore the options together.

Seek a mentor relationship with an executive at your current organization. It sounds cheeky and like homework, but I did this last year and it's been beneficial in ways I hadn't imagined, in terms of exposure and opportunities.

Make an effort, be more involved. I had a few years where I became visibly disengaged and my manager called me out on it. I decided to be more present, more involved - not only in day-to-day work, but in other things like organizing volunteer activities or luncheons for our team. Things like that can put you on the radar as an engaged employee, and set you up for other opportunities just from a visibility and image perspective.

I promise I don't work in HR, but I've recently went through almost this exact same scenario. This is what helped me turn around my attitude and perspective.

2014-04-04 10:16 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
Madrid
I think as one goes through their career over the years there's also a lot of shifts in lets call it tolerance. This has to do with mostly the overlapping of 2 things- micro being the persons own personal circumstances and macro the general state of the job market / economy. Early in ones career its pretty normal to start out idealistic and ambitious. If its not working- Bam. Change. After 10 years maybe circumstances change. Maybe you have kids and maybe the job market takes a change for the worse and job security takes on a higher priority. Maybe call this the settling in phase. As you get towards maybe the last 10 years or so until retirement maybe you have savings, dependents are less dependent, and the whole thing segues into a who needs this crap kind of existance. Trust me on this last part. For sure.
2014-04-04 10:23 AM

User image

Elite

I took jobs that were available, none of them was a dream job.  I am retired now.  It is a pretty good job.  Every job I had was both good and bad.  I wanted to work, contribute to society, and make the most of what I considered to be my own considerable talent and training.  I felt responsible not to waste the gift.  There were always problems:  struggles with funding particularly making the work match the budget (even when it didn't), struggles with people, and struggles to do the work itself.  It was not easy work that just anyone could do.  In my case, when things were going poorly, I just worked more hours to get things to work out better.  Yes, the 60 to 80 hour work weeks, all-nighters, were part of the job for me.  I was motivated by wanting not to fail at anything.  I didn't necessarily like that part of the job but I felt like that I had to endure it.  These were the conditions for the kind of work I did.  My job skills were very specialized.  There weren't other jobs that would use my skills.  I understood that it was my choice to do it my way.  There were shortcuts I chose not to take.  When I walked away, I did so happily and haven't looked back.  I retired at 62. 

You cannot change others very much.  You can change yourself a bit.  The only thing I did to make life better was to be unfailingly upbeat.  My natural instinct is to be introverted, emotionally detached, and work alone.  But at work, I smiled, I inquired about co-worker's families and interests, I told stories and jokes.  I got pretty good treatment from most managers and co-workers because I was likable.  It helped me get through rough patches.  

You don't really describe the problem in specific terms and perhaps you should be circumspect. In your own mind, can you list three or four tasks you completed that made you feel good about your work? Can you isolate the specific people, types of tasks, or situations that are the problem? Can you shift toward tasks that are rewarding and away from the people, tasks, situations you do not like?  You have to be pretty clear and specific on the details in your own mind about what it is you like and do not like about a job to change effectively.  Can you make the atmosphere around you at work more positive by making yourself more positive?  

If you cannot effect a positive change by staying in place, you will have to find a new job.  There are lots of ways to make a living.  It amazes me what activities people can turn into a livelihood.  The internet has really broadened what is possible to do for a living.   Look around and do some market research.  See where else you might put down roots and thrive.

Good luck. 

2014-04-04 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've never had a dream job, but I have had 2 completely different careers and been in multiple environments and places within those careers.  I can say that the perfect work environment does not exist, and neither does the perfect job. But there are things you can do to make your job nearly perfect for you. If possible work at a job you enjoy, in an environment that is comfortable, with people that you enjoy because that makes the 40 hours go by quicker. If that isn't possible, look for the positive where you are, and figure out if there are steps you can take to improve your current situation. If that fails, it may be time to look elsewhere. Make a list of pros and cons to your current situation. Figure out what matters most to you, is it paying off your debt, making big bucks or maybe something else entirely? Be pragmatic and realistic. And know that there are different concerns/pressures at every company and job that you take. As was mentioned above the grass may not be greener, so if you are seriously looking at a big change be prepared for the plusses and minuses that may be associated with that change and with what it will take to make that change.

2014-04-04 11:41 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by UrsusMaximus I am 30 and having a bit of a career crisis. I am in my dream job - if you had asked me when I was 18 where I wanted to be in life at age 30, I would have described to you exactly where I am now. I busted my arse in undergrad and grad school, checked all the boxes, and ended up in the exact job I wanted. I have six figures of debt but I am having no problem paying it down thanks to what I make. I have been in my dream job for four years now and there is just one problem - I utterly despise it. I work for an enormous, dysfunctional, self-promoting bureaucracy, the work I do is of absolutely no value and, to be honest, I could easily get away with doing nothing at all. The only reason I even try at all in my job is because it is the only way to keep myself from going crazy. What makes it even harder is that everyone I work with feels exactly the way I do. I started off being immensely passionate and enthusiastic about my field and now I hate it. To me this says I need to think about a career change. I am not sure where to start, because it honestly never occurred to me that my perfectly-laid life plan wouldn't work out. I didn't mess around when I was younger - I put myself on a chosen career path at 18 and followed it to the T. Maybe that was my first mistake. Who has had my experience and what did you do? How did you figure out what you really wanted to do in life? Did you find getting career counseling/coaching helped? I would love to find a way to to make a living off of my passion for triathlon but that's obviously not realistic.

Wow, pretty deep for a first time post.  Welcome to BT, by the way.

I could be totally wrong, but just dissecting what you wrote.  Do you hate the JOB, or the enormous and dysfunctional bureaucracy?  If it's the latter, can you change companies and do the same job?

I understand your work should feel like it's adding value to someone else.  No one like to work on something that no one cares about, but HOW important is that to you?  I spend a lot of time golfing or triathlon - no value to anyone but myself, and I keep doing it.  (granted, that's "recreation" vs employment).  What I'm asking, is do you get any personal satisfaction for doing it or do you do it so others value it?

As for your last statement?  Why is it not realistic?  People do it.  Maybe not as an athlete (professional), but you can become a coach, go to school and become a kinesiologist or some other form of physical trainer.  Open a tri shop?  It can be done, just requires additional sacrifice and work.  Even though I don't subscribe to the "anything is possible" mantra of many people, I DO think that a lot of people can achieve a lot more than they think if they are willing to go for it.

Personally?  I like what I do enough that I don't hate going to the office.  I don't think I'll EVER be the kind of guy that will jump out of bed excited to go to work no matter what it is.  I realized that if I can tolerate (which is probably not the right word and will get picked apart, but I also don't want to say "enjoy", which was my other option) my work enough to spend 8-9 hours a day at it, and get a decent salary?  It's not bad.  There have been jobs and just about went insane with how much I hated them and didn't want to go.

2014-04-04 12:35 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I read your post over in ST (dont kill me BT I just do it for entertainment lol)

Here is my $.02 for what its worth:

We are the same age and both worked our tails off to get to where we wanted, even if that meant missing out on some things. While we both have achieved our "Dream Jobs" you seem to be in more of a rut then me. I still love my job but there are certain days where I cant stand it. Now I know from that other forum site that your Employer is IMO, a great place to work or atleast, a very stable place to work that is never, ever, ever going to go away. Granite, I am not in your position but I looked at applying to your employer after college but I decided that the things I was qualified for would lead me to a life I did not want to live and in the end, I decided against applying. There are times where I think "What if" but I know myself and that I made the right decision.

Some key things to think about:

Where do you want to be in 5 years?? Debt free? kids? married? etc? Maybe sticking it out for the financial stability and paying off your debts will allow you to leave sooner rather then later and afford to live off a smaller salary. I currently have no debts and its one of the best things ever. If you can go debt free before leaving, it could be very beneficial to your overall happiness.

Can you do your job elsewhere? I know your employer is huge and lots of moving parts over there but can you do what you do in the private sector? IMO, you probably can.

For me- I have been doing my job for over 7 years. I have known what I wanted to do when I was 3 years old so I guess you can say I have always been on my career path. As much as I love my job, lately I have been asking myself if I should do something else. Mostly, this is because I have not gotten a raise in 6 years and it irritates me. I see jobs that I am qualified for, in the private sector, which are double my salary but I really like the stability and comfort of working for the government and knowing that I get great benefits, time off and a pension.

I dont think that putting yourself on a chosen career path and sticking to it was a bad idea. I think its really good and prepared you well for the future and future job prospects. With your current job and qualifications, I am sure you can find something else that makes you happy on a smaller scale.

Incorporating your passion for triathlon in your off time could take the stress out of your current job. Maybe start a triathlon club, blog, coaching service, etc. A guy I am friends with who coached me for my last race used to coach part time while he worked for the Fire Department. He built out a workroom in his basement and had a handful of clients in his spare time. He also taught some spin classes at night. Now that he is retired, he collects his pension and runs his coaching business full time. He teaches non credit phys ed spin classes at a local Community College during the day, coaches athletes, does nutritional couseling and runs a running program the rest of the time. I often see him biking during the day while I am working and he is very happy. Point is, he did this part time for a long time, building up his knowledge, contacts, and business so that when he retired he could live off his passion.

I am sure you are a smart person and will figure out what is right for you. Good luck to you
2014-04-04 1:29 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Just whatever you do... DON'T FORGET THE COVER SHEET ON YOUR TPS REPORTS!!!

2014-04-05 9:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Richland, Washington
I too am 30, I also hated my dream job.

I can't really go into details on what it was, but I was in my dream job long enough for them to offer me a very substantial buyout. I took the buyout, re-invested it, started 2 businesses and bought a few rental properties which then turned themselves into a business. I now manage all 3 companies, and spend most of my days doing the things I love to do.... swimming, biking, running, waterskiing, snow skiing, and climbing.

There is always a light at the end of the tunnel. If you don't enjoy what you're doing... change it.. otherwise it will start to rub off on your daily life.

Edited by Swimaway 2014-04-05 9:13 AM
2014-04-05 5:14 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida

Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called everybody, and they meet at the bar.

-Drew Carey

2014-04-05 10:18 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hahaha. All I ever wanted was to be a project manager for a global construction firm. Needless to say Ii was in Canada with a few engineers under me.

FML...this is everything I worked for! It's part of the deal. Been interviewing for new jobs ever since. I suppose this feeling is natural, it's called life.

2014-04-06 8:52 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Why is this your dream job? Money? Respect? Altruism? Enjoy the material?

I had a dream job out of under grad (I busted my too). My passion for it never died, even though the demands on me were getting really hard and strenuous.

After being laid off, hopping from contract to grad school to contract, this is what I say:
You need to go through a period of crappyness to see what you value, what inspires you, which part of your bad job was your fault, which was theirs, realizing the types of power you have to change your life, and finally... what you need to do to get to where you want to be.

It sounds like you might be at a time to learn these things. Or, you could lie to yourself and think that everything is fine so you don't have to do this self realization.

2014-04-07 10:36 AM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by So Fresh So Clean

You need to go through a period of crappyness to see what you value, what inspires you, which part of your bad job was your fault, which was theirs, realizing the types of power you have to change your life, and finally... what you need to do to get to where you want to be. It sounds like you might be at a time to learn these things. Or, you could lie to yourself and think that everything is fine so you don't have to do this self realization.

Legit advice!

2014-04-07 11:16 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

You need to go through a period of crappyness to see what you value, what inspires you, which part of your bad job was your fault, which was theirs, realizing the types of power you have to change your life, and finally... what you need to do to get to where you want to be. It sounds like you might be at a time to learn these things. Or, you could lie to yourself and think that everything is fine so you don't have to do this self realization.

Legit advice!

Seconded. Spent a big chunk of my life climbing the corporate ladder only to find that I was extremely unhappy when I got to the top tier. Figure out what makes you happy, and then figure out how to make a living doing that. You're young enough to have a couple failures, learn from them, and move on.

I just gave a talk to graduate students at a university who are just getting ready to enter the work force. Here's the bullets I used as talking points; some of them were taken from an excellent Forbes article.

•Think of your career as a series of experiences.

•Take risks early and often in your career.

•Don’t settle for a job you’re not passionate about.

•Spend more time with people than with your laptop.

•Figure out what makes you happy, never lose sight of that.

2014-04-07 11:30 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Legit advice!

Seconded. Spent a big chunk of my life climbing the corporate ladder only to find that I was extremely unhappy when I got to the top tier. Figure out what makes you happy, and then figure out how to make a living doing that. You're young enough to have a couple failures, learn from them, and move on.

I just gave a talk to graduate students at a university who are just getting ready to enter the work force. Here's the bullets I used as talking points; some of them were taken from an excellent Forbes article.

most of these bullets are obvious to me (although admittedly, they were not when i first finished college).  could you elaborate on "spend more time with people than with your laptop?"  thanks

2014-04-07 12:07 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Legit advice!

most of these bullets are obvious to me (although admittedly, they were not when i first finished college).  could you elaborate on "spend more time with people than with your laptop?"  thanks

Sure. I work in the sciences. Graduate students and young professors spend all their time heads-down working. One of the big transitions that people have trouble with when moving from academia to industry is learning how to work in teams, and how important it is to interact if you want to get ahead.

2014-04-08 4:42 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I can relate a little in that I now have the job that exactly fits my career choice and degree and it turns out I don't like it. I wasn't every really passionate about it, so I hesitate on the "dream job" designation, but It's what I wanted.  Now I feel like I wasted time, and also am pigeonholed - or so it seems based on my lack of success in finding other jobs.

The advice here that really hits home to me is:   The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I kept searching and searching, trying other types of industries in my area, and hate all of the work settings available to me.  Now at least I have a job that suits my lifestyle and doesn't cause me trouble.  That's something.

2014-04-08 7:47 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by Aarondb4
Just whatever you do... DON'T FORGET THE COVER SHEET ON YOUR TPS REPORTS!!!

Oh oh and I almost forgot, I'm also gonna need you to come in on Sunday, too, mmmkay?
2014-04-09 6:43 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Expert
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

The advice here that really hits home to me is:   The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I think people are really misunderstanding the "grass is always greener" saying...
2014-04-10 1:08 PM
in reply to: GulfCoastSwimmer

User image

Master
MidWest

Originally posted by GulfCoastSwimmer
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I think people are really misunderstanding the "grass is always greener" saying...

Grass   I've been thinking about this since my ex's attorney told me that my dream job didn't pay enough and I should find a different job!  I LOVE teaching and resent that I am being asked to give it up because it doesn't pay enough!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Did you hate your dream job? Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Dream Job? Pages: 1 2

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 1161 Posts: 37

2007-10-05 7:29 AM Rynamite

What is your dream job? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 1571 Posts: 66

2006-05-30 9:26 AM jpcan