General Discussion Triathlon Talk » switching wheels for power meter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-04 8:32 AM

User image

New user
Subject: switching wheels for power meter
I've been bike training this winter inside with a powertap I bought from a friend, built on a mavic open pro wheel. now that I'm going to be be getting back outside, I want to have the PM rebuilt on the wheel that came with my bike. At my level of riding I doubt they'll be any percievable difference because of the quality of the original wheel and cassette, but fwiw the original is newer, has a lighter cassette that matches the group on the bike, matches the front wheel, and the original wheel has less spokes (20 vs 32 - even if that does't help performance i think the wheel with less spokes looks better).

I've spoken some to my LBS about it some and was told I might need to switch the spokes. Are there any other parts that might need replacing to build the PM on my original wheel? Anything else I'm not thinking of that I should ask about?

2014-04-04 8:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: switching wheels for power meter
Originally posted by braciole

I've been bike training this winter inside with a powertap I bought from a friend, built on a mavic open pro wheel. now that I'm going to be be getting back outside, I want to have the PM rebuilt on the wheel that came with my bike. At my level of riding I doubt they'll be any percievable difference because of the quality of the original wheel and cassette, but fwiw the original is newer, has a lighter cassette that matches the group on the bike, matches the front wheel, and the original wheel has less spokes (20 vs 32 - even if that does't help performance i think the wheel with less spokes looks better).

I've spoken some to my LBS about it some and was told I might need to switch the spokes. Are there any other parts that might need replacing to build the PM on my original wheel? Anything else I'm not thinking of that I should ask about?

I know very little about this stuff, but isn't there a problem with the spoke count ?
Is your PT made for 32 spokes ?
Can they lace a 32 spoke PT into a 20 spoke wheel ?

Edited by marcag 2014-04-04 8:58 AM
2014-04-04 9:03 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

New user
Originally posted by marcag

I know very little about this stuff, but isn't there a problem with the spoke count ?

I don't know if that's a problem b/c the PT will only work with certain spoke counts. To my untrained eye it looks like it should fit on any spoke count wheel (there are plenty of "holes"), but I don't know if that makes a difference mechanically. I bought it used already on the Mavic and just swapped the wheels. I'll make sure to speak to LBS about it.
2014-04-04 9:08 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Pro

If you want the wheels to match why not just buy a matching front wheel and be done with it?

2014-04-04 9:22 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

New user
Originally posted by Left Brain

If you want the wheels to match why not just buy a matching front wheel and be done with it?

could, i suppose, but then I'll want to switch the cassette on the rear wheel too which isn't a big deal. I like wheels that came on the original bike though so switching the out the front to match the back wasn't my first instinct. I'll see how complicated switching over the PM gets.
2014-04-04 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I don't know if that's a problem b/c the PT will only work with certain spoke counts. To my untrained eye it looks like it should fit on any spoke count wheel (there are plenty of "holes"), but I don't know if that makes a difference mechanically. I bought it used already on the Mavic and just swapped the wheels. I'll make sure to speak to LBS about it.

I found this

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2067950;search_string=s...

there is a post in there tha links to another post with some info

2014-04-04 9:40 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

New user

I found this

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2067950;search_string=s...

there is a post in there tha links to another post with some info

Thanks!
2014-04-04 10:35 AM

User image

I understand the reasons why (except the lighter cassette, if that were truly an issue - it really isn't- buy a cassette on ebay for $60) but if it were me (I know it's not) I'd save the $ on the rebuild and buy a disc cover for racing. I ride a PT on a dt Swiss rim that I cover for races. Doesn't match the front wheel in training and has a butt load (32) of spokes. But none of that slows me down. Just my .02
2014-04-04 11:28 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

I understand the reasons why (except the lighter cassette, if that were truly an issue - it really isn't- buy a cassette on ebay for $60) but if it were me (I know it's not) I'd save the $ on the rebuild and buy a disc cover for racing. I ride a PT on a dt Swiss rim that I cover for races. Doesn't match the front wheel in training and has a butt load (32) of spokes. But none of that slows me down. Just my .02

+1 this is what I do.
2014-04-04 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4976518

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Keep in mind that PT is dependent on a balanced spoke count since the strain gauges are actually reading from non drive side. Basically it's not as simple as 20 spokes since more than likely the spoke count on drive side is greater than non drive side.

And then you have certain rims that simply can't be laced to a PT that way as the spoke angle becomes too acute.
2014-04-04 12:39 PM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

New user
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

Originally posted by ChrisM

+1 this is what I do.

thanks. it's not about speed or time for me. mostly i just want the original wheel and cassette back on the bike, but the reasons i listed rationalize spending the $$ to get it done. since it sounds like it's not reasonably doable i'll probably just stick with the mismatched wheels, or if that bugs me switch the front.

2014-04-04 12:42 PM

User image

Well, you can swap the cassette in 5 minutes, it's not hard to learn how to do (if I can do it......). 

2014-04-04 8:27 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

If I were you. . .

I'm thinking it will be cheaper to buy a front mavic open pro rim and a wheel cover. Then'll you have two complete wheel sets. And while you're on wheelbuilder buying the cover, order a chain whip and the wheel/cassette lock thingy.
2014-04-05 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4976692

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
When you break a spoke on a 32 hole wheel you just wrap it around the next spoke, open up the brake calipers a little wider, and ride home. When you break a spoke on a 20 hole wheel you get on your phone and call your wife to come and get you, because you won't be able to ride home.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » switching wheels for power meter Rss Feed