Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How to write a letter of NOT recommendation? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-04 11:14 AM

Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: How to write a letter of NOT recommendation?
After 16 years as a teacher who has supervised a number of student teachers as well as working them in a team teaching enviroment within our department I have to write my first letter of recommendation for someone who really has not done a good job. Part of my agreement with the University is provide a letter of recommendation for her teaching file and one to be sent with job applications. Basically, I am asked to describe the roles performed, skills and abilities, and comment on role as future professional teacher.

She has the skills to teach a lesson (when forced to), but seems totally disinterested, does a little as possible, and can't really be relied onto do the things a teacher should (lessons plans, discipline, supervising students)

So now I have to write a letter of recommendation that says she is not vey good with being too negative. Any tips and advice is appreciated.

2014-04-04 11:25 AM
in reply to: TriJedi

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: How to write a letter of NOT recommendation?

Well, I would bring it up with whoever makes the rules and say you don't feel comfortable about writing a letter.  Can't force you to say something good about someone when they don't deserve it.

In Nevada, you are not allowed to say anything negative about a former employee if a perspective employee should inquire (or there are specific things you are allowed).  If you have nothing you want to say, you simply say "I have nothing to say" which speaks volumes.

It seems silly that even though it's a "requirement" for you to write a letter, that an institute of higher learning would insist you fabricate something just to follow a rule.  I would abstain, and explain to someone higher up why you did.

2014-04-04 11:36 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

To Whom it May Concern,
I have been supervising Susie for the past three years in her assistant teaching role. During this time I've gotten a good feel for her capabilities and style.

Susie has a strong skill set of X, Y, and Z. She has fully met expectations in this area and that area. We've also discussed opportunities for improvement in the areas of A and B - these are critical skills Susie is aware she needs to develop in order to be successful. I've reinforced with her the importance of these competencies, and she has taken steps to begin improvement in these areas. Once Susie has fully developed these critical competencies, she will be equipped to meet expectations as a professional teacher.

Sincerely,
TriJedi

2014-04-04 12:10 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by lisac957

To Whom it May Concern,
I have been supervising Susie for the past three years in her assistant teaching role. During this time I've gotten a good feel for her capabilities and style.

Susie has a strong skill set of X, Y, and Z. She has fully met expectations in this area and that area. We've also discussed opportunities for improvement in the areas of A and B - these are critical skills Susie is aware she needs to develop in order to be successful. I've reinforced with her the importance of these competencies, and she has taken steps to begin improvement in these areas. Once Susie has fully developed these critical competencies, she will be equipped to meet expectations as a professional teacher.

Sincerely,
TriJedi

Well crafted. I'd point out that Lisa included the fact that you had discussed the areas of improvement with the student teacher and I hope that is actually the case. The person you are writing a letter of recommendation for should never be surprised by what you've written.

2014-04-04 12:56 PM
in reply to: Kido

Veteran
Minnesota
Originally posted by Kido

Well, I would bring it up with whoever makes the rules and say you don't feel comfortable about writing a letter.  Can't force you to say something good about someone when they don't deserve it.

In Nevada, you are not allowed to say anything negative about a former employee if a perspective employee should inquire (or there are specific things you are allowed).  If you have nothing you want to say, you simply say "I have nothing to say" which speaks volumes.

It seems silly that even though it's a "requirement" for you to write a letter, that an institute of higher learning would insist you fabricate something just to follow a rule.  I would abstain, and explain to someone higher up why you did.

Thanks for the reply
All of your post has been a part of my thought process is this. I want to do the letter, I just want it to be done in a way in which I am comfortable as both a mentor-type and professional in the education community. I have options in our teaching arrangement with the university, I would just rather not go with the option of not writing the letter. They ask that I be honest and understand that not all student teachers are going to receive rave reviews. I guess what I was looking for were ways to address the negatives in a constructive manner.
2014-04-04 12:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I'm surprised that anyone is still writing letters of recommendation. In our litigious society it's just not worth the hassle and potential risk. You write a glowing recommendation and the new employer is dissatisfied they sue you. You write a negative one the the employee sues.

My last two employers have policies forbidding anyone from writing recommendations. You call HR and they'll give you titles and dates of employment--that's about it. Call the supervisor/manager and they'll refer you to HR. That's probably how I'd handle recommendations if I was a business owner.

Edited by zed707 2014-04-04 1:06 PM

2014-04-04 1:06 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Pro

In my line of work we are frequently asked to recommend or not recommend someone for a position.

It goes like this:

Q - "would you recommend X for position Y?

A - "No"

The end.

2014-04-04 1:11 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Veteran
Minnesota
Originally posted by lisac957

To Whom it May Concern,

Sincerely,
TriJedi

Thank you. I have been spoiled in that I have been able to work with a lot of strong teaching canidates who are well prepared to enter the professional world. It is easy to rave about young men and women who make you proud to be a teacher and part of the process that sends them into the teaching world.

Your letter reminds me of how I might write about a student who has strengths, but also a lot of struggles. That is the direction i will look to.

Thanks again.
2014-04-04 1:23 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

In my line of work we are frequently asked to recommend or not recommend someone for a position.

It goes like this:

A - "No"

The end.

I like it.  

2014-04-06 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

It goes like this:

A - "No"

The end.

A lawyer friend coached me on the safest response:
Q: Would you recommend X?
Your response: Did you ask me if they are eligible for re-hire?

When they ask that question, now you can answer with fact, not opinion.

I would avoid drafting a letter indicating someone is not capable. If your supervisor insists on it, ask if they can run it past HR or the legal depsrtment so you are covered.
2014-04-06 8:56 PM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Hugh in TX

It goes like this:

A - "No"

The end.

A lawyer friend coached me on the safest response:
Q: Would you recommend X?
Your response: Did you ask me if they are eligible for re-hire?

When they ask that question, now you can answer with fact, not opinion.

I would avoid drafting a letter indicating someone is not capable. If your supervisor insists on it, ask if they can run it past HR or the legal depsrtment so you are covered.

Drafting a letter goes a long way. To the OP is the only option drafting a letter a recommendation or not letter ? is there another to avoid from writing a letter. A simple letter can end someones career.

2014-04-07 11:00 AM

User image

Pro

It goes like this:

A - "No"

The end.

In my 18 years in the corporate world, I can promise you we never said or wrote anything like that. We'd fluff it up a lot and then pass it through HR. The message was the same, though.

2014-04-07 12:06 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

It goes like this:

A - "No"

The end.

In my 18 years in the corporate world, I can promise you we never said or wrote anything like that. We'd fluff it up a lot and then pass it through HR. The message was the same, though.

Yeah, that's why I couldn't work in the corporate world, or have any desire to.  When one of my people does something stupid that doesn't require a formal reprimand, I'm real happy to just be able to say, "stop being an idiot".  We don't fluff anything, which is good, because I don't see the point.  I don't care about hurting your feelings, I only care that the job gets done right.  Luckily, my job doesn't attract people with big feelings.

2014-04-07 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I saw a letter of recommendation a few years ago that a professor wrote about one of his graduate students.

It went something like "Miss Smith is well-groomed and has good personal hygene". 

Mark

2014-04-07 12:10 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

It goes like this:

A - "No"

The end.

Yeah, that's why I couldn't work in the corporate world, or have any desire to.  When one of my people does something stupid that doesn't require a formal reprimand, I'm real happy to just be able to say, "stop being an idiot".  We don't fluff anything, which is good, because I don't see the point.  I don't care about hurting your feelings, I only care that the job gets done right.  Luckily, my job doesn't attract people with big feelings.

I left and am now learning how to run a business. I had enough fluff and politics. Now I get twice as much done in half the time, and only hire people who are as annoying as myself

2014-04-07 12:25 PM

User image

Universal Reference Translator

Accepts new assignments willingly: Never finishes a job.
Alert to company developments: Unstoppable office gossip.
Tends to take things too easily: Kleptomaniac.
This is a well balanced candidate: Has a chip on each shoulder.
A man like him is hard to find: Chronic absentee.
Does not care how many hours he puts in: Poor timekeeper.
Active socially: Alcoholic.
He is at his best in the morning: Lunch time drinker.
He usually is loaded with work to do: Alcoholic.
We can assure you that no person would do the job better: Leave the position unfilled.
We urge you to waste no time in making this person an offer of employment: Don't waste your time employing him.
I cannot recommend this person too highly: If I did I'd be lying.
I cannot say too many good things about this person: If I did I'd be lying.
I feel his talent is wasted here: We haven't found anything he is capable of.
He was fired with enthusiasm: We were enthusiastic.
There is nothing you can teach this man: He's too stupid.
Her true ability was deceiving: Don't trust her!
Thank you for your recent application, I shall waste no time reading it: It's filed in the rubbish bin.

2014-04-07 1:06 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG Universal Reference Translator Accepts new assignments willingly: Never finishes a job. Alert to company developments: Unstoppable office gossip. Tends to take things too easily: Kleptomaniac. This is a well balanced candidate: Has a chip on each shoulder. A man like him is hard to find: Chronic absentee. Does not care how many hours he puts in: Poor timekeeper. Active socially: Alcoholic. He is at his best in the morning: Lunch time drinker. He usually is loaded with work to do: Alcoholic. We can assure you that no person would do the job better: Leave the position unfilled. We urge you to waste no time in making this person an offer of employment: Don't waste your time employing him. I cannot recommend this person too highly: If I did I'd be lying. I cannot say too many good things about this person: If I did I'd be lying. I feel his talent is wasted here: We haven't found anything he is capable of. He was fired with enthusiasm: We were enthusiastic. There is nothing you can teach this man: He's too stupid. Her true ability was deceiving: Don't trust her! Thank you for your recent application, I shall waste no time reading it: It's filed in the rubbish bin.

We urge you to waste no time in making this person an offer of employment: We can't get rid of him!

2014-04-19 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI

I struggled with this exact issue last week. I've never had to write a letter that wasn't almost all positive. I haven't been on BT much lately. Guess that serves me right. If I would have just been here, it would have been a lot quicker letter to write.....

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » How to write a letter of NOT recommendation? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Business card site recommendations (not like vistaprint)

Started by auto208562
Views: 3107 Posts: 6

2011-06-02 7:40 AM geauxtri

Secret (or not-so-secret) Gross (not-so-gross) Habits You May or May Not Have Pages: 1 2 3

Started by TriAya
Views: 7078 Posts: 60

2014-04-22 7:37 PM braciole

Why men should NOT write advice columns

Started by mdg2003
Views: 1383 Posts: 16

2009-12-14 6:01 PM lkc01234

Just one letter can change your whole world view (caution - possible religious thread) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by dontracy
Views: 2583 Posts: 71

2006-05-12 6:57 AM hangloose

Letter to My Animals

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 688 Posts: 3

2006-04-20 4:38 PM katieyows
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?