General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plans: New to triathlons, but high fitness base Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-05 8:17 AM

User image

Subject: Training Plans: New to triathlons, but high fitness base
Hello!

I've been checking out the fitness plans on this website, and the beginner/first time triathlon programs seem to be geared towards folks who have little to no fitness base.

Over the winter I've been running 2x a week for about 45 minutes (with a long run on Saturday of about 90 min), cycling 2x a week for 45-60 minutes on the trainer, and swimming 1-2x a week for about 45 minutes. I also did an indoor spring triathlon last month to get my first tiny taste of the sport and I enjoyed it!

I'm coming into triathlons from running...I've run everything from 5K's to marathons in the last 5 years. Plantar faciitis slowed me down for about a year until this last fall when I finally got it resolved.

I'm looking for a plan that is a bit more challenging than the first time triathlete plans offered here...however I don't want to overestimate myself either. Is it worth doing one of the beginner plans and go backwards a bit in training, or would I be fine looking at a more intermediate program?

I appreciate your thoughts...thanks in advance!

2014-04-05 8:58 AM
in reply to: ginger1981

User image

Richland, Washington
Subject: RE: Training Plans: New to triathlons, but high fitness base
What kind of races are you looking to get into? Sprints? Ironman? That will really determine what you should be looking for. From what it sounds like, an intermediate plan would suit you better.
2014-04-05 2:34 PM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

I have a spring on June 22nd and an olympic distance August 24th. I signed up as part of a training program for the August tri, but looking for something I could start this week or next week for the June 22nd race.

2014-04-05 6:07 PM
in reply to: ginger1981

User image

Austin

what are your goals for each distance and current paces in the pool, trainer, and running?

2014-04-05 7:30 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've had similar issues ever since starting tri. You can always modify the part of an existing plan that seems too easy for you. For example, if you're a beginner on the bike and swim, those parts of the beginner plan might be okay for you but you might benefit from adding more run volume and speedwork. You do need to keep in mind that tri training is different from run-only training--the bike will really take it out of your legs, esp. if you don't have much background in it, so you won't be doing the same volume and intensity as you would with run-only training. Plus the time demands are considerably greater with tri training.

I have similar issues with most packaged plans, as I had a strong run and swim background but zero on the bike (besides short commutes and casual touring) before starting tri. I often switch up the swim using online master's sites, or the run with input from programs such as Hal Higdon's intermediate plans for the appropriate distance (i.e. the 10K plan for Olys), just choosing the key workout days--normally 1-2 speedwork, 1-2 easy, and 1 long run. You might also take a look at the intermediate Oly plan--I'm loosely following it now and it's not all that difficult if you have a strong run background. The intermediate plans vary--some would be doable by most people with a strong background in 1-2 sports; others (like the half ironman one) are really quite hard and you'd probably need a more thorough base in each discipline before attempting it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plans: New to triathlons, but high fitness base Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

base training + high intense

Started by deadman
Views: 831 Posts: 5

2010-05-19 6:38 AM Scout7

Swim based or Balanced Training Plan?

Started by harryjuice
Views: 730 Posts: 4

2008-06-11 11:42 AM ricro

Power based training plans

Started by jszat
Views: 807 Posts: 4

2007-12-04 1:35 PM AdventureBear

Time based training plans, total or actual logged?

Started by DRM
Views: 573 Posts: 3

2006-12-04 3:49 PM jldicarlo

Cardio Base Training plan

Started by scarlson
Views: 485 Posts: 2

2006-08-02 5:11 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.

date : January 1, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
Triathletes share stories of losing weight, improving health, making new friends, relieving stress and beating addictions
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is around 11 hours.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.