General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've decided that Garmin products are generally crap. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-10-09 1:40 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: I've decided that Garmin products are generally crap.
I've had my 305 for about 5 years and I still love and use it all the time. It has stopped working a few times, but nothing that a reset hasn't been able to fix. I love that thing to death. My husband has gone through a few different watches (Timex, Suunto), and my 305 has held up.

2014-10-09 1:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

All of our Garmin products work great!  I even have a Garmin GPSmap 60C unit that I used for marking/finding hunting and fishing spots long before anyone here even considered GPS technology for mapping/logging your swim, or bike, or run.....it still works and stores/finds every spot I ever entered.  Garmin is the leader in GPS units.....and has been since they came out.  Whatever you buy that isn't Garmin will not measure up to Garmin.....they are on the front row......still.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-09 1:54 AM
2014-10-09 7:28 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Exton, PA
After 8 year my beloved 305 has kicked. I want to get something new, with all the reading I've done it all still points to a Garmin. Now I just have to decide which one???
2014-10-09 8:46 AM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Sounds like a user problem.
2014-10-09 2:33 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Regular
Dont have a Garmin GPS for training, but I have a Garmin S1 for golf yardages. Works great and has for 3 years or so.
2014-10-09 3:03 PM

User image

Had a 310 then a 910 for the last probably 8 years, other than a few hiccups like I've had with every other product I've bought, I am very happy with them

2014-10-09 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Left Brain

All of our Garmin products work great!  I even have a Garmin GPSmap 60C unit that I used for marking/finding hunting and fishing spots long before anyone here even considered GPS technology for mapping/logging your swim, or bike, or run.....it still works and stores/finds every spot I ever entered.  Garmin is the leader in GPS units.....and has been since they came out.  Whatever you buy that isn't Garmin will not measure up to Garmin.....they are on the front row......still.

This thread got me wondering if there is a better product on the market.  Checked out DC Rainmaker again - i poke over there every once in a while but generally I love my garmins so much that I haven't really considered other devices. His main recommendations are pretty much garmins across the board.  

(Right now I have the 310 and the Swim (can't justify spending the $ on the 910 when my 310 works great, has gotten me through 3 HIMs and an IM plus the training!) - i had my first 310 kick the bucket in the first year and I got a refurb under warranty)

Or maybe I am old-school.  Sure, there may be some quality issues that need to be worked out but when i started running which i guess is a while ago, back in 2005, GPS tech for running was brand new - i drooled over the 305 when it came out and it was the BEST present I ever got in 2007!!!  

Maybe I accept the flaws too easily.  But I look forward to seeing how things will improve but I also accept and work with the current limitations - I mean, we get freaking pace and distance from SPACE! Am i the only one who is amazed by this!? hahahaha!  And, I accept that the technology isn't completely developed or perfect - i can manage the issues with instantaneous pace readings, or a connection to a cadence sensor that isn't perfect ... 

Edited by juniperjen 2014-10-09 3:23 PM
2014-10-09 3:41 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Wow. This is hysterical, this is the first time I've been on BT since shortly after posting the OP and my old thread just happened to be at the top of the forum! Lol. What're the chances?

Well, I still have my 910. Still don't have a functioning HRM, though I've only tried it a few times since I made the OP with no luck. I can post one of my last workouts with the thing if someone can tell me how. You'll just have to trust me when I say that A) Yes the battery was new B) it behaved this way with multiple new batteries and C) I've had 3 Garmin HRMs (1 hard, 1 original soft and one soft PRO) that have all behaved this way.

Could it be the main unit? I dunno. I only know a couple of other folks personally with a 910. 1 has had no problems. My cousin has had several issues, though I don't think it was with the HRM. His was showing -3% charge and doing weird stuff like that. A guy I met at my last race said his HRM has problems too and a friend of mine who has one says his works great until he gets REALLY sweaty then it sketches out, basically looks like the HR drops off a cliff.

I still use the footpod and basically just leave it at the 1.000 calibration setting since I'm 5'9" with an incredibly consistent stride that's around 1m, which is what these are baselined too I believe. It stays close enough to my pace at that setting to be useful. I know ipace is not something many of you care about but what can I say, I do and it's a feature that should work consistently.

The bike module hasn't given me any trouble at all. Never has.

I want to add (not sure if I said this earlier this year or not) I did have a 205 that lasted forever and was rock solid. This thing just hasn't been and I don't know what else to say on that.

It looks like they have a brand new version coming out, the 920 or something. Lots of features that are totally unnecessary like color screen, txt messages, other crap. And I'm sure it will cost a fortune so I won't be getting that one.
2014-10-09 3:48 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pro

Originally posted by juniperjen

This thread got me wondering if there is a better product on the market.  Checked out DC Rainmaker again - i poke over there every once in a while but generally I love my garmins so much that I haven't really considered other devices. His main recommendations are pretty much garmins across the board.  

(Right now I have the 310 and the Swim (can't justify spending the $ on the 910 when my 310 works great, has gotten me through 3 HIMs and an IM plus the training!) - i had my first 310 kick the bucket in the first year and I got a refurb under warranty)

Or maybe I am old-school.  Sure, there may be some quality issues that need to be worked out but when i started running which i guess is a while ago, back in 2005, GPS tech for running was brand new - i drooled over the 305 when it came out and it was the BEST present I ever got in 2007!!!  

Maybe I accept the flaws too easily.  But I look forward to seeing how things will improve but I also accept and work with the current limitations - I mean, we get freaking pace and distance from SPACE! Am i the only one who is amazed by this!? hahahaha!  And, I accept that the technology isn't completely developed or perfect - i can manage the issues with instantaneous pace readings, or a connection to a cadence sensor that isn't perfect ... 

In 2003 we took a long planned 2 week fishing trip to Rainy Lake on the U.S. Canada border.  From my home computer I plotted over 400 miles of routes from our lodge to various parts of the lake using latitude and longitude points from a lake map.  I put all of the way points from those routes into my Garmin map60.  When we got up there our hosts basically told us that we couldn't really fish the parts of the lake we wanted to go to without a guide because of the unmarked reefs that would rip our boat up.  We followed my plotted routes all week and never had a problem.  I got so confident in that unit and the routes that we even fished at night and I'd just watch the garmin and not even look up.......it was amazing to me, at that time, that the technology could be dumbed down to a 2 X 5 inch unit that anyone could use.  The fishing guides were sure it would be the downfall of their business.  That unit is still functioning like the day I bought it. 

Our Garmin edge units and watches also perform as advertised.  I'm like you......how spoiled have we become that an occasional blip in the technology, from SPACE, makes us question the worth or worthiness of the units we use.  There is nothing better out there, besides Garmin, at this time....they are head and shoulders above everyone else and I stay amazed at all they can do.

2014-10-09 4:16 PM

User image

I'm like you......how spoiled have we become that an occasional blip in the technology, from SPACE, makes us question the worth or worthiness of the units we use. 

I don't get this mentality. Contrary to general public understanding there is nothing mystical or cutting edge about GPS. Building the satellites, launching them and meeting mission lifetime requirements are where the magic lies (I do this for a living). The actual satellite is doing very little and your position doesn't come from space. The GPS constellation provides nothing more than precisely timed RF pulses, which your ground unit listens to and then calculates your position. The software in the watch is very simple actually, which is why it's frustrating that they can't get it exactly right for the cost of the things.

If it was $100 or something I'd be with you, but not for the price they are charging. I do expect near perfection out of a simple device at that price.

Have you considered that a brand new iphone/galaxy etc... costs only a couple hundred dollars more and does FAR more than these wrist mount GPS units? You can buy a brand new iphone 4 for less than a 910 that syncs up faster and provides much more utility than these niche products. Garmin overcharges for these things.

BUT, they are niche products so you always pay a premium.

Edited by aliddle9876 2014-10-09 4:18 PM
2014-10-09 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by aliddle9876

I'm like you......how spoiled have we become that an occasional blip in the technology, from SPACE, makes us question the worth or worthiness of the units we use. 

I don't get this mentality. Contrary to general public understanding there is nothing mystical or cutting edge about GPS. Building the satellites, launching them and meeting mission lifetime requirements are where the magic lies (I do this for a living). The actual satellite is doing very little and your position doesn't come from space. The GPS constellation provides nothing more than precisely timed RF pulses, which your ground unit listens to and then calculates your position. The software in the watch is very simple actually, which is why it's frustrating that they can't get it exactly right for the cost of the things.

If it was $100 or something I'd be with you, but not for the price they are charging. I do expect near perfection out of a simple device at that price.

Have you considered that a brand new iphone/galaxy etc... costs only a couple hundred dollars more and does FAR more than these wrist mount GPS units? You can buy a brand new iphone 4 for less than a 910 that syncs up faster and provides much more utility than these niche products. Garmin overcharges for these things.

BUT, they are niche products so you always pay a premium.

the 910xt, their flagship multisport watch has a very well known and very common defect. The altimeter stops working on an abnormally large percentage of units. They changed the design on the 920.
It's all over their forums and on the running and multisport sites.
The Garmin repair center here in Canada is well aware of the problem. It's the biggest complaint about the 910

So while fishing and golf GPS units may be great, their current multisport watch has issues.
That being said, other vendors have their issues as well.

2014-10-09 5:03 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted you can buy for yourby Left Brain I'm like you......how spoiled have we become that an occasional blip in the technology, from SPACE, makes us question the worth or worthiness of the units we use. 
I don't get this mentality. Contrary to general public understanding there is nothing mystical or cutting edge about GPS. Building the satellites, launching them and meeting mission lifetime requirements are where the magic lies (I do this for a living). The actual satellite is doing very little and your position doesn't come from space. The GPS constellation provides nothing more than precisely timed RF pulses, which your ground unit listens to and then calculates your position. The software in the watch is very simple actually, which is why it's frustrating that they can't get it exactly right for the cost of the things. If it was $100 or something I'd be with you, but not for the price they are charging. I do expect near perfection out of a simple device at that price. Have you considered that a brand new iphone/galaxy etc... costs only a couple hundred dollars more and does FAR more than these wrist mount GPS units? You can buy a brand new iphone 4 for less than a 910 that syncs up faster and provides much more utility than these niche products. Garmin overcharges for these things. BUT, they are niche products so you always pay a premium.

I don't think it's mystical OR cutting edge......the stuff we use on my job to track people, and vehicles....is much more advanced and works better than anything you can buy for your wrist....so yeah, I agree.   But I do appreciate that the constellation is available to use, and I accept that mass produced units will have some blips. If anything, Garmin and their competitors are trying too hard. We don't need most of the features that they are constantly looking to upgrade or improve on.  My 13 year old unit can do everything I need it to do......and really, it's all anyone needs for training, but it's too big.  We have forerunner 10 watches for running and edge 500 units for our bikes....pretty basic stuff, and probably why we have so few problems.  I guess some folks want HR for running.....but we don't care, we run off pace. And I'm never going to understand needing a GPS unit for swimming.......there's the buoy, swim to it....there's the next one, swim to that one too...there's the finish arch, swim there.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-09 5:07 PM
2014-10-09 5:50 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon

Originally posted by juniperjen

In 2003 we took a long planned 2 week fishing trip to Rainy Lake on the U.S. Canada border.  From my home computer I plotted over 400 miles of routes from our lodge to various parts of the lake using latitude and longitude points from a lake map.  I put all of the way points from those routes into my Garmin map60.  When we got up there our hosts basically told us that we couldn't really fish the parts of the lake we wanted to go to without a guide because of the unmarked reefs that would rip our boat up.  We followed my plotted routes all week and never had a problem.  I got so confident in that unit and the routes that we even fished at night and I'd just watch the garmin and not even look up.......it was amazing to me, at that time, that the technology could be dumbed down to a 2 X 5 inch unit that anyone could use.  The fishing guides were sure it would be the downfall of their business.  That unit is still functioning like the day I bought it. 

Our Garmin edge units and watches also perform as advertised.  I'm like you......how spoiled have we become that an occasional blip in the technology, from SPACE, makes us question the worth or worthiness of the units we use.  There is nothing better out there, besides Garmin, at this time....they are head and shoulders above everyone else and I stay amazed at all they can do.

Can you PLEASE post a link to garmin connect of this workout: "Did a Sprint today and the entire time I ran it showed me running 30-45s/mi slower than I actually was. No there was no user error. No I didn't move the pod on the shoe. It's just crap and nothing but a distraction so it's probably going to go on craigslist now. "

2014-10-09 6:12 PM

User image

Originally posted you can buy for yourby Left Brain I'm like you......how spoiled have we become that an occasional blip in the technology, from SPACE, makes us question the worth or worthiness of the units we use. 
I don't get this mentality. Contrary to general public understanding there is nothing mystical or cutting edge about GPS. Building the satellites, launching them and meeting mission lifetime requirements are where the magic lies (I do this for a living). The actual satellite is doing very little and your position doesn't come from space. The GPS constellation provides nothing more than precisely timed RF pulses, which your ground unit listens to and then calculates your position. The software in the watch is very simple actually, which is why it's frustrating that they can't get it exactly right for the cost of the things. If it was $100 or something I'd be with you, but not for the price they are charging. I do expect near perfection out of a simple device at that price. Have you considered that a brand new iphone/galaxy etc... costs only a couple hundred dollars more and does FAR more than these wrist mount GPS units? You can buy a brand new iphone 4 for less than a 910 that syncs up faster and provides much more utility than these niche products. Garmin overcharges for these things. BUT, they are niche products so you always pay a premium.

I don't think it's mystical OR cutting edge......the stuff we use on my job to track people, and vehicles....is much more advanced and works better than anything you can buy for your wrist....so yeah, I agree.   But I do appreciate that the constellation is available to use, and I accept that mass produced units will have some blips. If anything, Garmin and their competitors are trying too hard. We don't need most of the features that they are constantly looking to upgrade or improve on.  My 13 year old unit can do everything I need it to do......and really, it's all anyone needs for training, but it's too big.  We have forerunner 10 watches for running and edge 500 units for our bikes....pretty basic stuff, and probably why we have so few problems.  I guess some folks want HR for running.....but we don't care, we run off pace. And I'm never going to understand needing a GPS unit for swimming.......there's the buoy, swim to it....there's the next one, swim to that one too...there's the finish arch, swim there.

Yeah, the upcoming 920 (i think thats what it's called) is a prime example of this. All kinds of stuff that is even more unnecessary than what we've already got. Look at this list of features.

– Addition of Bluetooth Smart, WiFi connectivity
– Addition of Daily Activity Tracking (steps, Sleep, etc…)
– Ability to create Internet connected apps, widgets, data fields (Connect IQ)
– Addition of Live Tracking (requires you carry a phone)
– A Color Screen (that actually really shows colors)
– Creation of Activity Profiles (allows you to create your own)
– Running Dynamics (Vertical Oscillation, Ground Contact Time, Cadence)
– Recovery Advisor, Recovery Time, Race Predictor
– Cycling VO2Max
– PR’s (Personal Records)
– Regular Watch Mode
– UltraTrac (for up to 40 hours of GPS activity…with ANT+ sensor data)
– Addition of GLONASS (for increased GPS accuracy)
– Garmin VIRB action camera control
– Indoor Treadmill support (without a footpod pace/distance)
– Metronome Functionality
– Swimming Drill mode (as found on Garmin Swim, Fenix2)
– Swimming Interval Rest Timer
– Racing against past performances, downloaded performances
2014-10-09 6:16 PM

User image

Pro

Yeah, the upcoming 920 (i think thats what it's called) is a prime example of this. All kinds of stuff that is even more unnecessary than what we've already got. Look at this list of features. – Addition of Bluetooth Smart, WiFi connectivity – Addition of Daily Activity Tracking (steps, Sleep, etc&hellip – Ability to create Internet connected apps, widgets, data fields (Connect IQ) – Addition of Live Tracking (requires you carry a phone) – A Color Screen (that actually really shows colors) – Creation of Activity Profiles (allows you to create your own) – Running Dynamics (Vertical Oscillation, Ground Contact Time, Cadence) – Recovery Advisor, Recovery Time, Race Predictor – Cycling VO2Max – PR’s (Personal Records) – Regular Watch Mode – UltraTrac (for up to 40 hours of GPS activity…with ANT+ sensor data) – Addition of GLONASS (for increased GPS accuracy) – Garmin VIRB action camera control – Indoor Treadmill support (without a footpod pace/distance) – Metronome Functionality – Swimming Drill mode (as found on Garmin Swim, Fenix2) – Swimming Interval Rest Timer – Racing against past performances, downloaded performances

HA!!  That's craziness.

2014-10-09 9:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, the upcoming 920 (i think thats what it's called) is a prime example of this. All kinds of stuff that is even more unnecessary than what we've already got. Look at this list of features. – Addition of Bluetooth Smart, WiFi connectivity – Addition of Daily Activity Tracking (steps, Sleep, etc&hellip – Ability to create Internet connected apps, widgets, data fields (Connect IQ) – Addition of Live Tracking (requires you carry a phone) – A Color Screen (that actually really shows colors) – Creation of Activity Profiles (allows you to create your own) – Running Dynamics (Vertical Oscillation, Ground Contact Time, Cadence) – Recovery Advisor, Recovery Time, Race Predictor – Cycling VO2Max – PR’s (Personal Records) – Regular Watch Mode – UltraTrac (for up to 40 hours of GPS activity…with ANT+ sensor data) – Addition of GLONASS (for increased GPS accuracy) – Garmin VIRB action camera control – Indoor Treadmill support (without a footpod pace/distance) – Metronome Functionality – Swimming Drill mode (as found on Garmin Swim, Fenix2) – Swimming Interval Rest Timer – Racing against past performances, downloaded performances

HA!!  That's craziness.

Agree, the difficulty for them is that more features seem to sell more than a better functioning chip/software. I do like having HR for the run, but that's the only addition. I'm refusing to get anything more complicated than the 210.  Keeping an eye out for something with less. I use 810 for the bike, and mostly for the mapping. I do bigger rides on my own where it's good to have the route planned (and for event rides) and prefer to keep the phone secured and tucked way as a backup.

2014-10-10 11:50 PM
in reply to: #4977387

Been a Garmin user from the early days. I got the 910 to train for a IM, raced with it and can't download the race, I tried windows and mac apps and the don't see it. I see it in the watch history but can't get it off to view. Pretty sad.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've decided that Garmin products are generally crap. Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Garmin 305 HR crapped out?

Started by tigers75
Views: 1122 Posts: 4

2012-07-04 1:17 PM Oldteen

Garmin Product Announcement: ANT+ Adapter for iPhone.

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 2083 Posts: 4

2011-10-25 6:55 PM tri808

Trying to decide: Garmin or Timex

Started by tcj103
Views: 2565 Posts: 14

2011-02-25 11:55 PM faded_memories

oh crap. crapity crap crap Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 4548 Posts: 43

2009-11-05 1:24 PM the bear

I’ve wimped. I’ve bottled it

Started by mikenhe
Views: 949 Posts: 19

2004-08-17 9:39 PM kgart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.