General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Steelhead : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-04-06 11:48 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Steelhead : Official Thread

2014-04-08 1:47 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Steelhead : Official Thread
Just getting the thread rolling. Looking through race reports.
Targeting this as my "A" race.
August 10, 2014.

For previous racers, how is the water? The athlete guide says the race direction depends on which way the water is flowing, is this matter much?
2014-04-10 4:25 AM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
doesn't really matter at all, swimmers walk either north or south one mile from transition and swim with the current to the exit, then a short run up the beach.
2014-04-13 8:43 PM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

Bethany, Illinois
Steelhead will be my final tune-up before IM Chattanooga... I will be much more prepared this year. I went into Steelhead way undertrained last year and paid dearly.
2014-04-14 8:28 PM
in reply to: cnixon83

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Hopefully the swim will be a little nicer this year, last year looked ugly!
2014-04-16 5:33 PM
in reply to: jgs733

User image

Bethany, Illinois
Originally posted by jgs733

Hopefully the swim will be a little nicer this year, last year looked ugly!

yeah, last years swim was horrible, several people in my wave swam back in and quit in the first few buoys.

2014-04-16 7:29 PM

User image

New user

West Lafayette
Looking forward as well. This is long training day for me. A races are Augusta 70.3 and IMFL in Nov. hope for good weather and good time.
2014-04-21 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
A friend of mine did this race and yes, it does matter. If you are a very good swimmer, little matters. For some of us, it will make a difference. The water is also colder than you'd expect in August.
2014-04-28 3:36 PM
in reply to: stephsprint

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I am going very swim / bike focused for this race. For the swim, I can get to open water easy enough, but trying to figure out how to get really prepared to swim in chop. All the local places are lakes, and pretty calm.
2014-04-29 1:44 PM
in reply to: cnixon83

User image

Originally posted by cnixon83

Steelhead will be my final tune-up before IM Chattanooga... I will be much more prepared this year. I went into Steelhead way undertrained last year and paid dearly.

this is potentially going to be my warm-up pre Choo - I was going to do Rev3 WVa, but it was cancelled, so now i'm searching - only thing holding me back is the nearly 11 hour drive to the race
2014-04-29 2:38 PM
in reply to: austhokie

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
This will be my 'A' race as well this year. I'm hoping and praying for calm waters as opposed to what I have read them to be over the past few years. Needless to say, swimming is not my strong suit.

2014-05-10 7:17 PM
in reply to: mjh1975

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I'm in!!!! It was a struggle to find a hotel tho.  There is a new one opening called the Inn and Harbor shores.  Its expensive but it sounds BEAUTIFUL. I am willing to pay for nice perosnally

2014-05-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Originally posted by Socks

I'm in!!!! It was a struggle to find a hotel tho.  There is a new one opening called the Inn and Harbor shores.  Its expensive but it sounds BEAUTIFUL. I am willing to pay for nice perosnally

maybe i'll just camp out in my car lol!
2014-05-12 11:52 AM
in reply to: mjh1975

User image

New user
Philadelphia
I'm in!

I fell in love with Lake Michigan on the WI side when I did Racine the year before last. Where I come from you can not see the bottom of any lake! I have signed up for some 1 mile OWS races in the Atlantic, so that should get me race ready. I have found that bay swims can be rough too and are good OWS practice.

I am way behind on bike fitness, but am slowly ramping up my time in the saddle. Plenty of time to train, right?

How is training going?
2014-05-12 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by austhokie

ACK......The best I could find on the cheep side was all the way in Ft. Wayne.  thats nuts

2014-05-12 1:43 PM

User image

ACK......The best I could find on the cheep side was all the way in Ft. Wayne.  thats nuts

its ridiculous the price of hotels in the areas during events- yeah, I know, supply/demand etc but yeah...hotels in Chattanooga were sold out (reservation wise) before the race even opened - some friends and I are renting a cabin, so we have a kitchen to use etc, but yeah...I'm cheap - give me a tent, cabin, hostel and i'm a happy girl

2014-05-12 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

its ridiculous the price of hotels in the areas during events- yeah, I know, supply/demand etc but yeah...hotels in Chattanooga were sold out (reservation wise) before the race even opened - some friends and I are renting a cabin, so we have a kitchen to use etc, but yeah...I'm cheap - give me a tent, cabin, hostel and i'm a happy girl

No thanks on the tent.  I looked at the marriot host hotel and they are jacking up the prices of rooms $100 a night for the race weekend. That is BS.  The place I found is not even open yet. They have no clue there is a race that weekend so at least I am not getting fleeced. 

My perspective is for most meetings I  have to go to I pay $250-400 a night for a room.  This is a hobby its what I do for fun I want a nice experience and sleeping in a flea bag motel would make it not fun.  Plus after going to IMLP to support a friend where it rained 15 of the 17 hours of the race, ankle deep mud in transition water coming down a hill so hard it was up to my knees...................And there were people CAMPING in TENTS on the GROUND and doing the race.  Seriously their tents would have been washed away never mind doing an Ironman and sleeping on the frigging ground after the race, try everything you have at the campsite drenched and muddy and its about 60 degrees....no thanks.  There is suffering then there is miserable....and that would be both

2014-05-12 3:34 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Hi all.

Take a look at VRBO or HomeAway.com for a rental.

I have booked rentals from both sites many times in the past (in fact this wknd I booked us a place for the race and we are making a vacation out of our long haul) and often find something cheaper than a hotel. I have always been able to find something w/in my price range.
Or you could split the cost with a travel buddy.

2014-05-12 4:28 PM

User image

No thanks on the tent.  I looked at the marriot host hotel and they are jacking up the prices of rooms $100 a night for the race weekend. That is BS.  The place I found is not even open yet. They have no clue there is a race that weekend so at least I am not getting fleeced. 

My perspective is for most meetings I  have to go to I pay $250-400 a night for a room.  This is a hobby its what I do for fun I want a nice experience and sleeping in a flea bag motel would make it not fun.  Plus after going to IMLP to support a friend where it rained 15 of the 17 hours of the race, ankle deep mud in transition water coming down a hill so hard it was up to my knees...................And there were people CAMPING in TENTS on the GROUND and doing the race.  Seriously their tents would have been washed away never mind doing an Ironman and sleeping on the frigging ground after the race, try everything you have at the campsite drenched and muddy and its about 60 degrees....no thanks.  There is suffering then there is miserable....and that would be both

[/QUOTE0]

yeah, i'm cheap, but in my experience traveling for work, attending some grad school conferances at mariott's etc - i've had better experiences with places like red roof inn, comfort suites etc - when it comes to amenities - fridge in room without having to "specially request one" etc - not sure i'd do tent, but i'd rent a cabin; when I went to B2B last year, I stayed with a group of friends and they had rented a house - I was on an air mattress in the living room, but that was fine by me. I think the Navy taught me to sleep anywhere, anytime
2014-05-13 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

A cabin with friends sounds good.  Sleeping in a mud puddle not so much

I looked on VRBO and most wanted a 7 night minimum stay.

2014-05-16 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Google 'Harbor Country Rentals' might have something. I'll be staying with a friend in Harbert MI. This area is where wealthy Chicago types have summer homes on the lake so it gets busy. There are also some bicycling group rentals in the area. Three Oaks is another town not far away. Grand Beach is also close.

Good luck, I'm just hoping I don't drown.

2014-06-30 3:38 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Getting closer! How's training going?

I have been slacking with a fuel plan, that will change by the end of this week when I do my long stuff. I am more concerned with fueling on the bike, during my last HIM (my last was my 1st I practiced my race day nutrition and never had a problem in training. However, it was crazy hot on race day and I could not tolerate my solid fuel. Heat does not seem to be an issue for Steelhead but I am older and wiser now and my back up plan will be GU's plus cal's from Perform. Plus a bottle of water an hour.

I am looking to hear what some folks have planned for race nutrition.

I do not like to carry much with me so I ordered some Perform to train with and was thinking of depending on the aid stations for water and sports drink. I have not tried Bonk Bars, but was going to start with trying them first on the bike. I used Lara bars in the past, but after steamy hawt Racine 2012, have not been able to stomach one since. I have been using real food (bananas, apricots, raisins, sweet potato) so far in training b/c that is how I normally eat. But it is not realistic, for me, to race with ... for a few reasons.

Yea to the upcoming holiday weekend. A 3-day weekend plus we have a little tri here on July 4th, not a bad way to kick off the weekend!

Happy Training.
2014-06-30 5:33 PM
in reply to: NurseHeather

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by NurseHeather Getting closer! How's training going? I have been slacking with a fuel plan, that will change by the end of this week when I do my long stuff. I am more concerned with fueling on the bike, during my last HIM (my last was my 1st I practiced my race day nutrition and never had a problem in training. However, it was crazy hot on race day and I could not tolerate my solid fuel. Heat does not seem to be an issue for Steelhead but I am older and wiser now and my back up plan will be GU's plus cal's from Perform. Plus a bottle of water an hour. I am looking to hear what some folks have planned for race nutrition. I do not like to carry much with me so I ordered some Perform to train with and was thinking of depending on the aid stations for water and sports drink. I have not tried Bonk Bars, but was going to start with trying them first on the bike. I used Lara bars in the past, but after steamy hawt Racine 2012, have not been able to stomach one since. I have been using real food (bananas, apricots, raisins, sweet potato) so far in training b/c that is how I normally eat. But it is not realistic, for me, to race with ... for a few reasons. Yea to the upcoming holiday weekend. A 3-day weekend plus we have a little tri here on July 4th, not a bad way to kick off the weekend! Happy Training.

I have been using skratch for the last year or so for fluids and I really like it. Its a mellow flavor and mixes well.  I usually use twizzlers for solid food.  Its flour and sugar, pure carbs,  They are cheep, readily accesible don't melt and tasty.  I might use gels instead of twizzlers have not decided yet. Personally I do better with some real food than a gel.  Just makes me feel like I actually ATE something instead of just shoving liquid calories down. For a HIM I will be able to carry al the fluid I need for the bike.  Carrying bottles of what I like and I am used to is totally worth the weight of a few bottles. I am not going to win or place anyway.  Taking 20# off my fat butt will serve me much better than not carrying the nutrition I am used to

Bonk bars are pretty tasty, slightly different consistency than a lara bar.  Try them and see how you like them.  I think they might be a bit crumbly on the bike but they might work.  I have not tried them on the bike. 

Good luck and happy training!!!

2014-07-06 5:56 PM
in reply to: NurseHeather

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I won't be ready for this due to injury, but I'm going to see if I can make the swim...if I do, I'll ride the bike. If I can finish I'll jog the half mary. Would be a shame to miss it completely.

See you all there!

Stephanie
2014-07-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: stephsprint

User image

So for those that have done this race before.... how is the bike ride? Many climbs? Rough roads, etc? I did Racine last year and had heard the roads were rough. I didn't think they were that bad but there were a couple or rough patches. The thing that really bothered me were the seams, they really rattled my teeth. I've heard the swim is hit or miss when it comes to waves. What about the run.....hilly or flat?
Thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Steelhead : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Steelhead : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by maverickbassets
Views: 18949 Posts: 105

2013-08-09 2:45 PM Morpheus

Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by baran072597
Views: 5222 Posts: 4

2012-05-24 9:24 PM wdl386

Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by leftrunner
Views: 16672 Posts: 78

2011-08-15 12:34 PM rubeone

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by chipsin
Views: 14662 Posts: 106

2011-11-10 7:07 AM mollypocket

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30582 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.