General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Narrow shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-07 10:26 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: Narrow shoes
Ok, so what's the deal with narrow width shoes? My short history is that I used to wear orthotic inserts (prescription, not molded) that took up some significant space in the shoe. I used that WITH the shoe's factory insert. This made all shoes fit totally fine.

I've changed running stride and strike over the past couple of years and really have a pretty good midfoot thing going, I ditched the prescription orthotic and put in some Dr. Scholls gel sport thingy that I actually kinda like, but the faster I get the more I feel like this thing is not doing anything but taking up space in my shoe.

I bought a new pair of NB 890's a couple of months ago and when I tried them on without the insert they were just fine (I bought the same size as my last 3-4 pairs of NB89s) but after a couple of runs the laces pull both sides of the top together, so I put my inserts in and they fit much better now.

I went to the shoe store, the guy did the medieval shoe sizer dealie and said that my size looks like a normal width. I said "ok" and left.

Here's the heart of the question, that I thought of more recently. Can my feet be a normal width, but just not be that "thick"? Does that make sense? I ask because I'm thinking of ordering narrower width shoes (BTW, apparently NO store around me carries such a thing---wide, yes; narrow, no)

Will narrower shoes actually have a base that is shorter across, or do they take care of the narrow with all upper shoe changes? If they have a narrower sole, then does anybody have any suggestions for where to go next? I could just keep doing what I've been doing, no real problems, I just want to get faster and dropping a few ounces might not help a lot, but it couldn't hurt.

2014-04-08 8:48 AM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: Narrow shoes
I did some more internet searching and still am coming up empty handed. Perhaps my google-fu is weak. Hopefully this will bump it to the front page and someone that didn't see it yesterday will see it today.
2014-04-08 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
All I can offer is that I wear Brooks Adrenaline size 13 B (Narrow). This is because I am spoiled and go to a very good running store just a few miles from where I live. All employees that work there are runners so they talk the talk and walk the walk or run the run so to speak. They have narrow sizes in stock as well. If there's such a store near you, I'd recommend you go there.
2014-04-08 9:25 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by reecealan

All I can offer is that I wear Brooks Adrenaline size 13 B (Narrow). This is because I am spoiled and go to a very good running store just a few miles from where I live. All employees that work there are runners so they talk the talk and walk the walk or run the run so to speak. They have narrow sizes in stock as well. If there's such a store near you, I'd recommend you go there.

So, what I've been looking for on google is where someone measured the sole of a narrow shoe vs a normal width shoe (in same brand, size, model, etc). I imagine they are actually narrower and that there is not just less upper to wrap the foot.
2014-04-08 6:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
To answer this specific question "Will narrower shoes actually have a base that is shorter across" the answer is yes. Take if rom an old shoe dog.

I have narrow feet and also use inserts. I can get New Balance in a narrow width as has been mentioned but I take out the factory insoles and put mine in. Actually I put two in the left shoe since a surgery left one leg shorter than the other I also put a small lift under the insole insert.

Don't know if that makes any sense for you but it seems to work for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Narrow shoes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cycling shoes for stupidly narrow feet????

Started by wartho
Views: 1203 Posts: 3

2012-09-14 6:28 PM Hot Runner

Vision Aerobar/Elbow Pad Narrow Width Adjustment Question

Started by cjj
Views: 2517 Posts: 10

2011-02-21 9:57 AM cjj

Narrow Bike Shoe

Started by Skyhawk
Views: 495 Posts: 3

2010-01-06 9:56 PM blairrob

The dangers of narrow feet

Started by Imjin
Views: 1545 Posts: 9

2009-03-30 8:01 AM Imjin

Bike shopping - Narrowed Down to 3 choices

Started by mnewton
Views: 824 Posts: 9

2006-07-28 2:30 PM JohnnyKay
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : June 26, 2006
author : Team BT
Push-Up - Narrow strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : February 28, 2005
author : gsmacleod
The role of concentration and focus in athletic training and competition.