Tejas Trails
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 31m 25s
Overall Rank = 50/88
Age Group = M
Age Group Rank = 40/72
Pre-race routine:

50-Mile race starts at 5:00 am, so not much time for any race prep. Woke up at 3:30, got ready and hit the road. At the ranch around 4:30.
Run
  • 11h 31m 25s
  • 50 miles
  • 13m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Some days you just don't have it....and this was one of those days for me. Things started poorly right from the get-go.....big time stomach issues on the first loop, and barely made it from outhouse to outhouse. Took a break at the start/finish area between loops 1 & 2, and that seemed to help a little bit.....no more outhouse stops required after that.

When it was obvious that I wasn't going to have a fast race, I just kind of went into cruise mode and took it easy......didn't worry much about pace and walked when I felt like it.

This is a Tejas Trails race, so it's well organized and staffed. It's a smaller race than Bandera or Rocky, so aid stations are a little smaller and don't have quite as much variety, but they still have a full complement of drinks and snacks. I carried a 20-oz handheld, which was about right for the aid station spacing, but it ws a cool day. One botle may not have been sufficient if it was hot & humid.

I had an occurence of Rhabdo during the RR-100 in early Feb which resulted in a DNF, so this was intended to be a test outing for me to verify that the Rhabdo wouldn't be a recurring issue. In this respect, the day was a success. Fluid intake and urine output were normal....no issues at all. Also tried out the new 2XU shorts, which worked great......only complaint is lack of pockets.

I was hoping that this event would be a confidence builder for Kettle Moraine 100 in June. That didn't happen. I may go ahead and do another 50-miler at the end of Apil and see if I can get back on track. On a good note, I wore the toe-socks and had no blister or foot issues at all.

The 50-miler starts at 5:00, so the first two hours are in the dark. Wore the headlamp and carried the handhelp flashlight. The handheld is definately worth having along on the technical sections of the trail. Also learned not to follow others too closely when running in the dark......need sufficient reaction time to avoid obstacles.

What would you do differently?:

1. Eat smarter / earlier the night before.
2. Need to carry nutrition between aid stations.......have to consider alternatives. At RR, I used short cargo pockets.
3. Consistent pacing from the start.
Post race
Warm down:

Collected drop bag and hit the road!

Event comments:

Every Tejas Trails event I've participated in has been excellent. Hell's Hills was no exception!

Great venue, course, and volunteers!

Last updated: 2014-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
11:31:25 | 50 miles | 13m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/72
Overall: 50/88
Performance: Bad
Course: A fair bit of rocks, a collection of rolling creek bed drop-ins and rollouts, a twisty-turny riot of single-track trails, with the Wall & the Grind at the end of each loop. Not much for elevation. Mostly single-track through a forest of pines. Almost all of this course is runnable, depending on the rain & mud. 50-mile is three loops of the couse.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-07 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Hells Hills Trail Run - 50 Mile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hells Hills Trail Run - 50 Mile Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rocky Raccoon Trail Run - 50 Mile

Started by tribullbutter
Views: 3597 Posts: 10

2010-02-17 7:38 AM wgraves7582

Started by jmholmes02
Views: 1648 Posts: 5

2010-02-10 9:38 AM robcolling

Rocky Raccoon 50-Mile Trail Run

Started by jkron
Views: 2673 Posts: 13

2009-11-10 5:37 PM jmholmes02

Jemez Mountain Trail Runs (50 Mile)

Started by billgeist
Views: 1255 Posts: 2

2008-05-19 1:14 PM zsela

Started by runnrboy
Views: 1753 Posts: 4

2008-02-25 12:56 PM runnrboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.